PDA

View Full Version : Computer literate folks and opinion-havers

opksooner
9/28/2006, 10:05 PM
Office Depot is advertising an HP dv9000z laptop for $499.99 (after $480 in rebates, etc.)

Does anyone have an opinion about HP or this model? Reliability,service..... whatevaar?

afs
9/28/2006, 10:07 PM
personally i'd go with Packard Bell.

SelmaBamaFan
9/28/2006, 10:11 PM
heh

Jackal
9/28/2006, 10:30 PM
Is this a local sale because I can't find that online, in any case, that would be a great deal if the rebate hoop jumping particulars aren't a pain in the arse. Post a link if it is online so we can verify the specs on your machine.

If you do buy it, I suggest getting a 3-year service plan. If you can't do it at purchase time I think u can goto the HP site and buy one. I have had 6 HP computers over the last 8 years and they all still work, I have had one hard drive go out and DVD drive stop working out of all of them.

mdklatt
9/28/2006, 10:31 PM
Get the extended warranty. Not a knock against HP but a good idea for laptops in general.

soonermaticsam
9/28/2006, 11:27 PM
what are you going to use it for, looks like a good deal, specs I saw showed only 512MB RAM, this is fine for surfing net and word processing.

opksooner
9/28/2006, 11:51 PM
The ad is in the KCStar today.

Specs include: 17" screen, AMD Sempron Processor, 80 Gig hard drive, 512 MB memory. (It also has a numeric keypad which I don't need. :()

$150 instant and $330 in three (3) mail-in (:() rebates.

It will be used primarily for surfing. No games or graphics.

Thanks for your answers.

Frozen Sooner
9/29/2006, 12:09 AM
With a Sempron processor I'm sure it's designed for web surfing.

It's like AMD read our minds.

Jackal
9/29/2006, 12:44 AM
Go ahead and get that laptop, I would keep copies of all the rebate info you send. These marketers count on people to either forget or give up on getting their money back. So when 2 months pass and no check has arrived, you have phone numbers, email addresses to call these people.

opksooner
9/29/2006, 12:50 PM
..............I would keep copies of all the rebate info you send. These marketers count on people to either forget or give up on getting their money back. So when 2 months pass and no check has arrived, you have phone numbers, email addresses to call these people.
I did that when I bought my current Toshiba laptop. I had documentation out the wazoo and I was all cocked and primed, ready to be aggravated when/if the rebates didn't come.

But they showed up just as promised, even a little ahead of time. Shame. All that wasted "attitude".

mithrandir2398
9/29/2006, 12:55 PM
HPs are ok, but their batteries always overheat, so if you have it in, your hands will be hot in around 5 minutes. Plus they dont put enough of a buffer zone between their battery and their motherboard so it heats up an awful lot. My battery actually melted my motherboard and since I got them to fix it, I don't even use the battery anymore. It is now my living room computer and I bought a Dell laptop to use around school.

Ike
9/29/2006, 01:54 PM
I did that when I bought my current Toshiba laptop. I had documentation out the wazoo and I was all cocked and primed, ready to be aggravated when/if the rebates didn't come.

But they showed up just as promised, even a little ahead of time. Shame. All that wasted "attitude".

they are great with the rebates...however, I recommend saving up that attitude for when you have to deal with them because your power jack burned itself loose.....10 days after the warranty expires.

Ike
9/29/2006, 01:55 PM
HPs are ok, but their batteries always overheat, so if you have it in, your hands will be hot in around 5 minutes. Plus they dont put enough of a buffer zone between their battery and their motherboard so it heats up an awful lot. My battery actually melted my motherboard and since I got them to fix it, I don't even use the battery anymore. It is now my living room computer and I bought a Dell laptop to use around school.

dell batteries can get pretty hot too. (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550)