PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers types

picasso
9/28/2006, 09:19 PM
Anybody else read this book about Dick Winters?

http://media.bestprices.com/content/isbn/09/0451215109.jpg
It's not the auto biography that's been discussed here already.
This book is sweet, I'm about half way through and can't put it down.

SoonerProphet
9/29/2006, 06:28 AM
Looks like a good read. I will check it out.

SoonerBorn68
9/29/2006, 07:03 AM
That's on my "to read" list. I'm in the middle of Flyboys by James Bradley--the guy who wrote Flags Of Our Fathers. It's definately an eye opener on the brutality of the Pacific war--from both perspectives.

jk the sooner fan
9/29/2006, 07:06 AM
havent seen that one, will definitely pick it up

King Crimson
9/29/2006, 07:35 AM
it's interesting how fixated we are on a war/moral conflict that was 60 years ago.....

and don't **** with me for saying it. my G-Paw flew the bombing missions at Ploesti, had a purple heart and an air corps medal of honor. my pops was an army Ranger.

SoonerProphet
9/29/2006, 07:54 AM
it's interesting how fixated we are on a war/moral conflict that was 60 years ago.....

and don't **** with me for saying it. my G-Paw flew the bombing missions at Ploesti, had a purple heart and an air corps medal of honor. my pops was an army Ranger.

“our devices still are overthrown. / Our thoughts are ours, their ends none of our own.”

Or something about still trying to reconcile with The Ghost.

The
9/29/2006, 08:46 AM
Last military book I read was "Chesty" about Lewis "Chesty" Puller. Fascinating man.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/037576044X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

picasso
9/29/2006, 09:14 AM

that's true but my fixation goes even further back to the Indian Wars.

This book came about by accident and the author is a reporter and humor columnist in Lancaster, PA. Turns out he grew up in Winters' neighborhood of Ephrata.
btw, the book also chronicles his life prior to military service.

SCOUT
9/29/2006, 09:15 AM

It was the last war where our soldiers were depicted as heroes. Almost all of the movies, stories, etc centered on we (the good guys) were sacrificing everything to defeat them (the bad guys).

Since then, political motives have overshadowed the heroic actions of our men in uniform. It is understandable that people would fixate on a time where, seemingly, our action and efforts were cut and dry.

IMO of course.

Desert Sapper
9/29/2006, 09:26 AM
It was the last time we had a popular media that was more concerned with the success of our country as a whole than their own personal successes. No war is perfect, no people in it perfect. Thank God we didn't hamstring ourselves with a popularity contest back home when our enemy was every bit our equal on the battlefield. We never could have even come close to winning WWII if we had the current homefront. Can anyone imagine if a movie star claimed in 1944 that the 'FDR Administration' was manipulating the public for its own political gains?

critical_phil
9/29/2006, 09:26 AM
i have no idea what you mean by fixated, but possible answers include:

a) because it was only 60 years ago
b) because the moral conflict that sparked the war was clearly defined
c) because many/most of us have a pretty immediate family connection to it

picasso
10/1/2006, 09:09 PM
finished the book last night and it was most excellent.

the best part was the post war stuff and his working for Nixon and father in New Jersey. also the last 2 chapters dealt with how the book and series came about and the dealings with Ambrose and then Hanks.
I didn't realize Carwood Lipton died in 2003.
Also, although Winters was very pleased with the series, he still let Hanks have it over the over used word f**k. he even called Hanks and chewed his *** over it.

very great read for anyone who is a fan of the series.

JohnnyMack
10/1/2006, 09:22 PM
b) because the moral conflict that sparked the war was clearly defined

The pure evil displayed by our enemy and our efforts at rising up against it make it one of history's more compelling stories.

It is without a doubt the most romanticized war evar, but for good reason.