PDA

View Full Version : Prayer before games

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 11:35 AM
I remember back when i was younger in the 90s we had a guy on the p.a. say a prayer before kickoff. I would honestly love for the p.a. guy to come on there and say, "all of you in favor of a pregame prayer give me a BOOMER!!!!"

It's sad that a few liberal pansies can change something that the majority of us want and believe is right.

What's wrong with prayer anyway? Even if you're not christian, it stands for honesty, kindness, love, peace, etc.

Us God fearing people need to stand up for these things, we need prayer in Memorial stadium.

The
9/28/2006, 11:41 AM
Pray on yer own time.
I come to a football game to see football, not church.

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 11:43 AM
Fans together praying for a good clean fun game, that's all.

The
9/28/2006, 11:46 AM
Cool.
While I respect your commitment, there is a time and place for prayer.
No one says you can't pray.
I WOULD NOT pray before a game.
Nor would many of the other drunken fans that sit near me.

trey
9/28/2006, 11:50 AM
lame idea...go to church on your time, not mine

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 11:50 AM
I promise you the majority of Sooner fans would be all for prayer, not some big church service, but a good 1 or 2 minute or less prayer, for the safety of the fans, players and everyone else. This was something that was done before every game every year up until people decided to protest prayer at school functions. Nobody's asking anyone to convert to anything, we just want good clean fun, that's it.

I really do wish some of the other fans on here would respond, I really am confident that most would agree that there is place for a QUICK prayer before the game. Why else would they do it before every game all those years? just a few punks wanted to mess it up for everyone

trey
9/28/2006, 11:53 AM
if you want to pray before a game, go ahead, pray all morning if you need to. i don't want ot be a part of it.

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 11:54 AM
I guess since this is the internet, and not a big chunk of the good ole sooner fans that have been going to the games for years, I understand you people's ignorance of this.

No offense to you good board fans on here, but there sure are a bunch of clowns that get on the net and just blabber. So I'm done with this thread, bad idea for me to bring it up..... SORRY

trey
9/28/2006, 11:57 AM
whose blabbering, i respectfully disagree with your idea prayer at games. it's nothing personal, we just have different views on the subject. relax dude

trey
9/28/2006, 11:58 AM
who's

The
ANONYMOUS NEG SPEK !!!!
how noble...

OKLA21FAN
So what you are trying to say is that you want me to put up with your prayers before games. i guess you would not mind me coming to your church and ask your paster/preacher/preist to take a few minutes and recite the previous day's top 25 scores.

just sayin

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 11:59 AM
whose blabbering, i respectfully disagree with your idea prayer at games. it's nothing personal, we just have different views on the subject. relax dude
sounds like you need some prayer.

trey
9/28/2006, 12:02 PM
did i say somthing wrong sas?

leavingthezoo
9/28/2006, 12:03 PM
this is the dumbest argument with sides in the history of the world. if you want to pray, freakin' pray. do you really have to be lead in group prayer? if you don't want to pray, then don't. are you really going to cry in your pillow if you hear someone else's prayer? it's not like cooties, you can't catch the prayer disease.

sheesh.

The
9/28/2006, 12:05 PM
Can the prayer be in Arabic?
And can we all face Mecca when we're doing it?
That wouldn't bother anyone, would it?

trey
9/28/2006, 12:06 PM
Can the prayer be in Arabic?
And can we all face Mecca when we're doing it?
That wouldn't bother anyone, would it?

great point!

TUSooner
I guess since this is the internet, and not a big chunk of the good ole sooner fans that have been going to the games for years, I understand you people's ignorance of this.

No offense to you good board fans on here, but there sure are a bunch of clowns that get on the net and just blabber. So I'm done with this thread, bad idea for me to bring it up..... SORRY

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!
:rolleyes:

I remember the game time invocations of J. Clayton Feaver (sp?). They were blander than cold grits, and just as spiritually uplifting. Later, I took a philosohpy class taught by Dr. Feaver, who was then appoximately 207 years old and, in my humble judgment, a religious skeptic. Any truly religious Christian, by which I mean someone with more spiritual depth than the run-at-the-mouth "Vote for Jesus" kind, should avoid flaccid public show-prayers, like JCF's, as if they were the ol' debbil hisself. I'm sure the private prayers of devout people are more effective and less insulting to the Almighty.

sanantoniosooner
did i say somthing wrong sas?
nah..........just chain yanking.

OUmillenium
9/28/2006, 12:08 PM
Some of you guys need to relax. I'm all for pregame prayer unless it is that rediculous politically correct drivel that was spewed forth in the 90s. I would rather not have prayer if that is the case. Christian prayer or no prayer at all. In God we trust...

TUSooner
9/28/2006, 12:08 PM
ANONYMOUS NEG SPEK !!!!
how noble...
I bet God told CrimsonChampion to do it. Sorta like shaking the dust from his sandals or something. Just sayin.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 12:09 PM
There should be prayer before high stakes poker also.

The
9/28/2006, 12:10 PM
He's right!
I need to get my liberal behind out of Norman!
Since Norman is the epicenter of Oklahoma conservatism...

SoonerInKCMO
9/28/2006, 12:10 PM
People have been praying for a good, clean game and the safety of players for decades. People still play dirty. People still get hurt. What good do people think the praying is doing?

leavingthezoo
9/28/2006, 12:12 PM
People have been praying for a good, clean game and the safety of players for decades. People still play dirty. People still get hurt. What good do people think the praying is doing?

we've all seen massive hits that logically could've done massive damage to a player and yet they pop back up like it was nothing. what's to say prayer is not doing some good?

with that being said, i go back to my pray if you want, and don't pray if you don't want to, but seriously... quit pretending either view is taking away someone else's rights.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 12:15 PM
You can't discount duck fans affiliation to Satan.

soonermaticsam
9/28/2006, 12:16 PM
Prayer in sports is an interesting topic, I am not a liberal pansy. Personally I'm sick of thinking God would care enough to show up at sporting events to keep our atheletes safe from getting sprained ankles so we can have a good time but yet refuses to intervine in places where hunger is commonplace, genocide is occuring, and anything else that would seem to be more important than playing sports. If there was a charity theme to one of the games and proceeds were given to a needy cause that would be much more beneficial than praying for a good clean game.

King Crimson
9/28/2006, 12:17 PM
I remember back when i was younger in the 90s we had a guy on the p.a. say a prayer before kickoff. I would honestly love for the p.a. guy to come on there and say, "all of you in favor of a pregame prayer give me a BOOMER!!!!"

It's sad that a few liberal pansies can change something that the majority of us want and believe is right.

some people who do not self-identify as republicans or conservatives consider themselves christians....but i guess in your black/white world that doesn't matter. I'm neither, but they do exist.

What's wrong with prayer anyway? Even if you're not christian, it stands for honesty, kindness, love, peace, etc.

Us God fearing people need to stand up for these things, we need prayer in Memorial stadium.

total contradiction. inclusive statement (sort of) followed by an exclusive statement. ???

read John Stuart Mill 'On Liberty' or De Toqueville on the tryanny of the majority instead--or the Bill of Rights, for that matter.

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 12:19 PM
BAD POST ON MY PART.. OK? sorry

Ardmore_Sooner
9/28/2006, 12:20 PM
we've all seen massive hits that logically could've done massive damage to a player and yet they pop back up like it was nothing. what's to say prayer is not doing some good?

with that being said, i go back to my pray if you want, and don't pray if you don't want to, but seriously... quit pretending either view is taking away someone else's rights.

I agree with you. I'm curious though, where is this breaking the law? No one's rights are being infringed. It's a state law in public schools in Oklahoma that there be a moment of silence every morning to, "refelct, pray, or engage in any other silent activity that does not interfere with others." Goodness people get a life, it takes like thirty seconds. You guys are probably the same people that talk and act like fools when the national anthem is going on. Should we get rid of that too or should they play the national anthem of Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc to accommodate for everyone of a different nationality at the game?

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 12:21 PM
Prayer in sports is an interesting topic, I am not a liberal pansy. Personally I'm sick of thinking God would care enough to show up at sporting events to keep our atheletes safe from getting sprained ankles so we can have a good time but yet refuses to intervine in places where hunger is commonplace, genocide is occuring, and anything else that would seem to be more important than playing sports. If there was a charity theme to one of the games and proceeds were given to a needy cause that would be much more beneficial than praying for a good clean game.
not that I care to go too far down this road, but if a person holds the opinion that God is omnipotent and omnipresent, there really isn't a conflict for him to enjoy a Sooners game.

soonermaticsam
9/28/2006, 12:24 PM
BAD POST ON MY PART.. OK? sorry

Don't apologize, it's worthy subject. These are the issues that help define our culture,

The
9/28/2006, 12:27 PM
National Anthem ...Thumbs WAY UP!
prayer... not so much.

The Anthem is what unifies us as Americans.
prayer (endorsement of ANY religion) helps divide us.

My thoughts.

Soonrboy
9/28/2006, 12:29 PM
Pray at home or at church with your family...just because it's with 85,000 people doesn't mean its more powerful.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/28/2006, 12:29 PM
So by unifying America we yell "Sooners" instead of "Brave" at the end?

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 12:30 PM
Don't apologize, it's worthy subject. These are the issues that help define our culture,
whether ppl wanna believe it or not, our culture is based on christianity. It's been like that since the beginning of our indepence and who knows how long before that.

But I can't stand seeing people argue over this, the only reason I posted it is because I feel prayer is good for people, and growing up that's what I was exposed to, and in Norman on gameday, we had prayer, and it just made me feel good, and feel at home.

Soonrboy
9/28/2006, 12:33 PM

Yeah, this bothers me way more than no prayer...but that's a whole other can of worms.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/28/2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, this bothers me way more than no prayer...but that's a whole other can of worms.

I'm on of the few students who screams "BRAVE!" as loud as I can. I think this makes us look like total jackasses. :mad:

The

hard to argue with that...

CrimsonChampion
I love brick chili and nathan's hot dogs.. we should have a nathans' stand instead of the bar-s

SoonerInKCMO
9/28/2006, 12:36 PM

And we've all seen minor hits that shouldn't have hurt anyone break bones, separate shoulders and blow out knees. Intercessory prayer doesn't do any good.

The
9/28/2006, 12:37 PM
Intercessory
That's a word that needs more respect!

OKLA21FAN
9/28/2006, 12:40 PM
whether ppl wanna believe it or not, our culture is based on christianity. It's been like that since the beginning of our indepence and who knows how long before that.

But I can't stand seeing people argue over this, the only reason I posted it is because I feel prayer is good for people, and growing up that's what I was exposed to, and in Norman on gameday, we had prayer, and it just made me feel good, and feel at home.
ever read the 'Treaty of Tripolli', you might be surprised by a few things it says about that.

and you 'cant stand people arguing over this, yet you want to bring up your reasonings for your opinion, but don't want to listen to other's who don't agree with you. That theme seems to be a problem with 'religion' as a whole these days.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 12:40 PM
And we've all seen minor hits that shouldn't have hurt anyone break bones, separate shoulders and blow out knees. Intercessory prayer doesn't do any good.
I'm not sure you can verify either way.

Let's take, for example, Jason White. Was it a good or bad thing that he blew his knees out?

Do bad things happen for good reasons?

This is a discussion that is a little silly, because it's not as shallow as most would like it to be.

leavingthezoo
9/28/2006, 12:41 PM

i'm neither agreeing or disagreeing, only pointing out that depending on your opinion you can follow whichever path of prayer value you wish. you want to say the big hits with no injuries are nullified by the small hits with big injuries, where someone prayer passionate might want the small hits with big injuries nullified by big hits with no injuries.

matter of opinion. preference. belief. whatever. but neither opinion holds more water than the other, thereby reinforcing this argument is the dumbest topic with sides in the history of america.

you're welcome. :D

CrimsonChampion
9/28/2006, 12:43 PM
nathan's famous hot dogs

brick chili

greatness

Ike
9/28/2006, 12:45 PM
the problem with the PA prayer is that you people get ****ed off if I decide to continue on with my conversation during it.

If you want to have it, fine, I don't care...pray away...just don't go gettin ****ed at someone else for deciding that they'd prefer to ignore it completely.

I really do wish some of the other fans on here would respond, I really am confident that most would agree that there is place for a QUICK prayer before the game. Why else would they do it before every game all those years? just a few punks wanted to mess it up for everyone

If by quick you mean 5-10 seconds, I'm down. anything longer, don't expect me to stay silent.

leavingthezoo
9/28/2006, 12:53 PM
maybe we should pray the bulging vein doesn't explode in ike's neck. heh.

Vaevictis
9/28/2006, 12:56 PM
I agree with you. I'm curious though, where is this breaking the law? No one's rights are being infringed. It's a state law in public schools in Oklahoma that there be a moment of silence every morning to, "refelct, pray, or engage in any other silent activity that does not interfere with others."

Moments of silence are a different beast than what CrimsonChampion is suggesting; I remember the lead prayers at the games in the '90's. They were much closer to the kind I would hear in chapel as a kid.

And as far as such lead prayers go, especially ones over loudspeakers at football games, I recommend a quick review of Matthew 6 (I think 6:5-15 or so). Such prayers remind me of -- and definately invite -- what Jesus speaks against.

XingTheRubicon
9/28/2006, 01:28 PM
It saddens me every time I visit another country and am reminded that we have absolutely no tradition left. The United States is the Miami Hurricanes of Earth.

No tradition and no understanding of it's value.

I liked the Feaver prayer before games when I was growing up. Why? Was it because I was pious? Hardly. It was because that's what was done, since they had loudspeakers. Every Saturday home game, 1:30PM, warm up, prayer, tunnel, defer, 3 and out, bone. That's gone now.....most all of that.

I remember some fans/students who would be talking or messing around during the prayer. My old man would tell me after the prayer was over that they were the lowest form of human life. I'm fortunate that he emphasized respecting moments like that whether you agree with them or not. As an older man and a father now, I couldn't agree with him more.

Rhino
9/28/2006, 01:35 PM
PA prayer stopped about the same time those damn clips from Animal House stopped playing on the Jumbotron and Steve Neumann stopped being horrible at hosting the coach's show.

Taxman71
9/28/2006, 01:42 PM
The pregame prayer basically only asked for good sportmanship and no injuries. If someone has a problem with either of those, they should be at an NFL, XFL or WWE game instead of a college game where you are expected to puke, cuss and punch during pregame. College football is about a bunch of kids representing their school.

Anyone know if they still pray at private schools (TCU, Rice, Baylor, etc.)?

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 02:00 PM
dude this whole conversation is ghey...

believe if you want or dont but dont be pushy with it... Dont Judge lest you be Judged. Let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone. Remember those lines?? Just because some people dont agree with you doesnt make them wrong and you right... and just because your daddy said doesnt either... Prayer should be personal. People talking during your prayer is disrespectful, but you trying to force them to pray while they are trying to talk is disrespectful too. What other people think isnt up to you... and whether or not they go to heaven or hell or if those even exist isnt up to you either. I'm all for no prayer. I am there to watch football.

Vaevictis
9/28/2006, 02:00 PM
I liked the Feaver prayer before games when I was growing up. Why? Was it because I was pious? Hardly. It was because that's what was done, since they had loudspeakers. Every Saturday home game, 1:30PM, warm up, prayer, tunnel, receive, 3 and out, boned. That's gone now.....most all of that.

Heh, couldn't resist fixing to describe my experience as a youth at the Sooner games (in the 90's).

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 02:19 PM
I very much enjoy the prayer they say before every Lexington High School football game. I very much enjoyed the prayer before the OU games. Why? Cause it's traditional, and it's simply the right thing to do.

If you wanna praise Satan, or praise Allah before the game, go ahead on. But since this is America, which like it or not is based completely on christian values, please disregard me as I stomp a hole in your face if you interfere with my pre-game prayer. Cause that would be the christian thing to do in that type of circumstance.

Prayer before games = good.

And I'm gonna move this thread to the SO.

Taxman71
9/28/2006, 02:20 PM
dude this whole conversation is ghey...

believe if you want or dont but dont be pushy with it... Dont Judge lest you be Judged. Let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone. Remember those lines?? Just because some people dont agree with you doesnt make them wrong and you right... and just because your daddy said doesnt either... Prayer should be personal. People talking during your prayer is disrespectful, but you trying to force them to pray while they are trying to talk is disrespectful too. What other people think isnt up to you... and whether or not they go to heaven or hell or if those even exist isnt up to you either. I'm all for no prayer. I am there to watch football.

I think the point of this thread is that a handful of people changed a tradition that the majority of people enjoyed or participated in, not whether it SHOULD be done or if anyone has the RIGHT to do it or not do it.

Personally, I think the OU chant is a ghey, contrived neo-tradition and do not do it, despite having 2 degrees from OU. However, it has become a part of pregame and I do not mind it at all because the majority of people seem to like it. The OU chant, just like the prayer, should be a non-issue whether they do one, both or neither. If it ain't your thing, don't do it, if it is do it.

**This thread is starting to remind me of all the "OU fans" (and many on this board) who want OU-texass to go to a home-and-home series just because they are unable to go to Dallas for the game and would love to spoil the fun for everyone else.

Oldnslo
9/28/2006, 02:58 PM
Christian prayer or no prayer at all. In God we trust...
This is, and has been, exactly my problem with prayer at games.

At the OU games, all of the prayers ended with, "in Jesus' name we pray."

Uh, no we don't. Jews don't pray in Jesus' name.

So, under the "Christian prayer or no prayer at all" standard, I'll go with "no prayer."

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 03:01 PM
This is, and has been, exactly my problem with prayer at games.

At the OU games, all of the prayers ended with, "in Jesus' name we pray."

Uh, no we don't. Jews don't pray in Jesus' name.

So, under the "Christian prayer or no prayer at all" standard, I'll go with "no prayer."

Ain't it enough that we've got your back? And I didn't know jews actually did pray. I thought they just went "yiddy yiddy Bawbwa WahWah....."

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 03:02 PM
Personally, I think the OU chant is a ghey, contrived neo-tradition and do not do it, despite having 2 degrees from OU. However, it has become a part of pregame and I do not mind it at all because the majority of people seem to like it. The OU chant, just like the prayer, should be a non-issue whether they do one, both or neither. If it ain't your thing, don't do it, if it is do it.

**This thread is starting to remind me of all the "OU fans" (and many on this board) who want OU-texass to go to a home-and-home series just because they are unable to go to Dallas for the game and would love to spoil the fun for everyone else.

I agreee with if it is your thing do it if not dont do it.... however I see a difference in the OU chant (without religous implications) and prayer. I also have a hard time with "making" people act like they believe in something that they may or may not believe in, tradition or not. JMO. Whether or not the OU Chant fall under this is up to you. I mean just because something is a tradition doesnt mean that it is or ever was right. look at the purple and gold rebel flags at LSU. Regardless of your belief of their meaning they probably arent a good thing and should be left at home. However I am definitely not for the moving to a home and home with Hook em . That would be ghey to the utmost gheyness.

:pop:

TUSooner
9/28/2006, 03:05 PM
Well, I'll give a nod to tradition.

I just don't see any religious grounds for getting too upset about the absence of common prayer at secular events.

I guess it makes me just as sad when common prayers are empty or ignored as when they are omitted altogether.

TUSooner
9/28/2006, 03:10 PM
It saddens me every time I visit another country and am reminded that we have absolutely no tradition left. The United States is the Miami Hurricanes of Earth.

No tradition and no understanding of it's value.

I liked the Feaver prayer before games when I was growing up. Why? Was it because I was pious? Hardly. It was because that's what was done, since they had loudspeakers. Every Saturday home game, 1:30PM, warm up, prayer, tunnel, defer, 3 and out, bone. That's gone now.....most all of that.

I remember some fans/students who would be talking or messing around during the prayer. My old man would tell me after the prayer was over that they were the lowest form of human life. I'm fortunate that he emphasized respecting moments like that whether you agree with them or not. As an older man and a father now, I couldn't agree with him more.

This is a very good perspective that I hadn't really considered. Spek.

SleestakSooner
9/28/2006, 03:19 PM
nathan's famous hot dogs

brick chili

greatness

Good bread
Good meat
Good God
Let's eat!
:pop: :twinkies:

IB4OU2
9/28/2006, 03:21 PM
Ain't it enough that we've got your back? And I didn't know jews actually did pray. I thought they just went "yiddy yiddy Bawbwa WahWah....."

:D good lord I just ripped a stitch..........:D

bri
9/28/2006, 03:21 PM

No offense to you people who agree with me, but there sure are a bunch of clowns that seem to think they get to have their own opinions.

Fixed it for ya, Slappy.

Nothing I love more than someone who starts a discussion and then cries like a little bitch when it veers away from his teeny, tiny worldview. "Opposing viewpoints! Hurting....brain!!!"

Taxman71
9/28/2006, 03:33 PM
Well, it is just interesting how people around the U.S. are constantly complaining about putting up with a 1 minute prayer, but nobody complains about moments of silence, the national anthem, chants, the first 90% of the pledge of allegiance, etc. It is like they feel guilty about not having any religeon and would prefer not to be reminded of it.

Taxman71
9/28/2006, 03:34 PM
J.C. was jewish, you are in good company.

http://www.movieactors.com/freezes1/MeetTheParents24.jpeg

mdklatt
9/28/2006, 03:36 PM

Am I the only one that gets ****ed off by that?

But heaven forbid someobody translates the SSB into a language other than 'Merican....

soonerscuba
9/28/2006, 03:37 PM
The things I do on gameday and the teachings of the Good Lord are on very different grounds. I prefer to keep it that way.

If there was a verse that said "Keep the Sabbath holy... by getting really hammered and a pass shall be given on my name in vein at certain moments of despair" Then I would be all about prayer at Memorial.

mdklatt
9/28/2006, 03:41 PM
It is like they feel guilty about not having any religeon and
would prefer not to be reminded of it.

Yes, that's exactly it. :rolleyes:

sooneron
9/28/2006, 03:44 PM
Here's a question for the peeps that want the prayer kept. How many times a day do you pray? This should not include Sunday, in any way. Please be truthful, especially about this.

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 03:49 PM
Here's a question for the peeps that want the prayer kept. How many times a day do you pray? This should not include Sunday, in any way. Please be truthful, especially about this.

A couple.

Depends on what I'm doing that day, but I usually start the day with a "thank you Lord for all you have provided my family and I with, our health, our situation, our love. Make this another great day."

And in the evening when I'm out feeding cattle, and see deer, turkey, beautiful pasture and sunsets I say "thank you Lord for providing me the opportunity to not only witness, but actually own this little piece of your beauty."

And then I usually always pray for the whorns to lose every game.

bri
9/28/2006, 03:50 PM
Well, it is just interesting how people around the U.S. are constantly complaining about putting up with a 1 minute prayer, but nobody complains about moments of silence, the national anthem, chants, the first 90% of the pledge of allegiance, etc. It is like they feel guilty about not having any religeon and would prefer not to be reminded of it.

OR...perhaps they're secure enough in their belief system that they don't have to have it validated by the home team.

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 03:51 PM
OR...perhaps they're secure enough in their belief system that they don't have to have it validated by the home team.
OR...they're just ****in' heathens like you - with one-way tickets to hades already stamped. :hot:

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 03:54 PM

I love how just because people love to belong to things that means that they have a desire for religion. In case you didnt notice from the time kids are in grade school till they are middle aged in bowling leagues or whatever till death everyone wants to belong to something. Just because you think that it is supposed to be religion doesnt mean you are correct. I am so tired of this Holier than thou attitude that having religion, particularly christianity makes the collective you right. To me it makes you come off as sanctimonius a-holes. JMO. Instead of pushing your ideals on someone else why dont you come off it be christlike and live by example if that is your thing. So because I enjoy most of those things you mentioned but not prayer doesnt mean that I am looking for religion.

OklahomaTuba
Why does that matter?

Now, I agree with it being a specific prayer. Praying to God should work well to everyone.

OU football is built on tradition. The prayer before the football game is part of that tradition, and a sign of respect to our God.

If the 10% of non-believers and Christian haters in the stadium that day have a problem with it, Maybe they should move to a non-Judeo/Christian nation then???

sooneron
A couple.

Depends on what I'm doing that day, but I usually start the day with a "thank you Lord for all you have provided my family and I with, our health, our situation, our love. Make this another great day."

And in the evening when I'm out feeding cattle, and see deer, turkey, beautiful pasture and sunsets I say "thank you Lord for providing me the opportunity to not only witness, but actually own this little piece of your beauty."

Well aren't you one reverant and thankful MF'er? :D

I never would have...

eh nm

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 03:55 PM
OR...they're just ****in' heathens like you - with one-way tickets to hades already stamped. :hot:

who gives out the tickets?

crawfish
9/28/2006, 03:56 PM
We didn't have bad instant replay reffing before the pregame prayer was abolished...

I'm just sayin'. ;)

bri
9/28/2006, 03:57 PM

According to the Southern Baptist Convention, you'll be awfully surprised when you get up there and see me smilin' and wavin'. ;)

C&CDean
I love how just because people love to belong to things that means that they have a desire for religion. In case you didnt notice from the time kids are in grade school till they are middle aged in bowling leagues or whatever till death everyone wants to belong to something. Just because you think that it is supposed to be religion doesnt mean you are correct. I am so tired of this Holer than though attitude that having religion, particularly christianity makes the collective you right. To me it makes you come off as sanctimonius a-holes. JMO. Instead of pushing your ideals on someone else why dont you come off it be christlike and live by example if that is your thing. So because I enjoy most of those things you mentioned but not prayer doesnt mean that I am looking for religion.

If you're tired of "holer" then religion isn't the only thing you need to search for.

OklahomaTuba
I am so tired of this Holer than though attitude that having religion, particularly christianity makes the collective you right.

Wow, sterotype much???

IB4OU2
A couple.

Amen and don't let those little aggots driving down the road with their gun barrells stuck out the car window interrupt your talk with the lord either.

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 03:58 PM
who gives out the tickets?

Nobody gives em' out. You have to order them.

bri
9/28/2006, 03:58 PM
Why does that matter?

Now, I agree with it being a specific prayer. Praying to God should work well to everyone.

OU football is built on tradition. The prayer before the football game is part of that tradition, and a sign of respect to our God.

If the 10% of non-believers and Christian haters in the stadium that day have a problem with it, Maybe they should move to a non-Judeo/Christian nation then???

There you have it, people. It took Tuba all of four pages to take a "why don't we pray before OU home games?" thread and make it into "AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT, MOTHERF*CKERS!!!"

And, as always, by "LOVE IT" he means "AGREE WITH ME". :D

sooneron
9/28/2006, 03:59 PM
Why does that matter?

I disagree, I think OU football has been built on the tradition of kicking the crap out of the other team. I am fine with the moment of silence. I don't think a led prayer is the way to go.

I think God has more to deal with than football. The people that should be praying are the ones that have to drive on Hway 9 on a gameday.

The
9/28/2006, 03:59 PM

Or better yet, we could burn them at the stake! Or at the very least, those nonbelievers should be forced to wear an insignia that denotes their heatheness...

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 04:00 PM
I actually know another OU grad/fan that isn't very religious at all.

I have noticed that she is generally more respectful of the prayer than a lot of churchgoers are. If fact, she gets upset when people aren't respectful of it, and I would be surprised if she ever encountered prayers anywhere else.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2006, 04:01 PM
There you have it, people. It took Tuba all of four pages to take a "why don't we pray before OU home games?" thread and make it into "AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT, MOTHERF*CKERS!!!"

And, as always, by "LOVE IT" he means "AGREE WITH ME". :D

:D

Well, its like going to a muslim country as getting ****ed that everyone is wearing rags on their heads.

If you don't like Christianity, go to a non-Christian nation.

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 04:02 PM
Wow, sterotype much???

Depends on who you think started the stereotyping... I mean agree with me or you are wrong?!... please.

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 04:02 PM
Or better yet, we could burn them at the stake! Or at the very least, those nonbelievers should be forced to wear an insignia that denotes their heatheness...

****in' A!!~!

bri
9/28/2006, 04:03 PM
My offense with rags on heads has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the fact that it looks pretty f*ckin' stupid. ;)

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2006, 04:03 PM
I disagree, I think OU football has been built on the tradition of kicking the crap out of the other team. I am fine with the moment of silence. I don't think a led prayer is the way to go.

I think God has more to deal with than football. The people that should be praying are the ones that have to drive on Hway 9 on a gameday.

Fine, have a moment of silence. I don't care.

Just pointing out that its tradition, and we should keep our traditions.

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 04:04 PM
Nobody gives em' out. You have to order them.

link?

The
9/28/2006, 04:04 PM
I GOT AN ****in' A!!~! FROM DEAN!

THE REST OF YALL CAN **** OFF!

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 04:05 PM
While we're at it.......ragging on non-believers is a tradition too. :D

C&CDean
link?

See bri. He's the cheap entertainment on that train.

sooneron
Fine, have a moment of silence. I don't care.

Just pointing out that its tradition, and we should keep our traditions.
Well, the tradition is gone, therefore, it's no longer a tradition. Plus, you have that pesky church and state thing.

If I get drunk and sang all niiite long it's a ...

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 04:07 PM
See bri. He's the cheap entertainment on that train.

Couldnt pass that one up...

C&CDean
Well, the tradition is gone, therefore, it's no longer a tradition. Plus, you have that pesky church and state thing.

If I get drunk and sang all niiite long it's a ...

C'mon ron, WTF about a drunken Saturday in Memorial Stadium has anything to do with the state? Weak sauce.

sanantoniosooner
great........America, like it or leave it---------->Separation of Church and state.

we have now come full circle to nowhere.

Fraggle145
9/28/2006, 04:08 PM
great........America, like it or leave it---------->Separation of Church and state.

we have now come full circle to nowhere.

Amen Brotha! Preach on!

sooneron
9/28/2006, 04:08 PM
C'mon ron, WTF about a drunken Saturday in Memorial Stadium has anything to do with the state? Weak sauce.
It's at a state school on state property supporting a state team?

Ardmore_Sooner
9/28/2006, 04:09 PM
Was anyone complaining when they were still doing the prayer at the games?

sooneron
9/28/2006, 04:09 PM
C'mon ron, WTF about a drunken Saturday in Memorial Stadium has anything to do with church or Jesus? Weak sauce.
fixed:texan:

royalfan5
9/28/2006, 04:10 PM
My High School team once prayed before a game. We lost by six touchdowns to a team that won two games this year, we quit praying and went on a three game winning streak. I think there's a moral in there about praying and football.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2006, 04:11 PM

In a state that is 90% Christian in a nation that is 80% Christian founded by Christians.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2006, 04:12 PM
Was anyone complaining when they were still doing the prayer at the games?

Probably the same people who sued to get the boyscouts thrown off all public property.

sooneron
9/28/2006, 04:12 PM
In a state that is 90% Christian in a nation that is 80% Christian founded by Christians.
Damn Amendments by the Founding Fathers!

IB4OU2
9/28/2006, 04:13 PM
In a state that is 90% Christian in a nation that is 80% Christian founded by people seeking freedom of religion.

-fixed

C&CDean
9/28/2006, 04:13 PM

Full of christians who don't mind a prayer who probably never spent a dime at the state school on tuition.