PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy talking about knucklehead Jerome Janet?

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2006, 10:35 AM
Nate's doing great
http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/28/sports/art1.jpg
With the end of his Hawaii career in sight, productive running back Nate Ilaoa is happy he picked UH
By Dave Reardon

Hawaii slotback Nate Ilaoa played his first college football game in 2002 against Eastern Illinois, the Warriors' opponent Saturday at Aloha Stadium.

"I scored my first touchdown, a good memory," he said yesterday.

The good memories at UH as one of the guys have been many for Ilaoa, one of the Warriors' most popular players among his teammates.

He still has 10 or 11 games to add to them, but there haven't been as many on the field as were predicted for Ilaoa, who coach June Jones has said is the Warriors' most gifted football player -- on one of the most physically loaded squads in the program's history.

Four years since that first game -- after surgeries for shoulder and knee injuries, questions from his coach about his dedication, and a position change -- Ilaoa, now UH's starting running back, is still here.

He had his choice of Top 25 programs out of high school, but Ilaoa has no regrets.

"Hawaii was the perfect place," he said.

And now, he's living up to the promise the highly regarded recruit arrived at Manoa with in 2001, after he was named the Washington Post's Metro Offensive Player of the Year.

The NCAA granted Ilaoa an additional year of eligibility because injuries knocked him off the field for almost two full seasons. He's made the most of it so far, with a team-high 376 all-purpose yards for the 1-2 Warriors. He leads UH in rushing with 199 yards in 25 attempts.

Jones said Ilaoa could've been a running back from the beginning.

"He had the capability to, but I knew he'd be a great slot. He was a great slot. He played very, very well," Jones said. "He's a great runner."

Last year Jones challenged him publicly to get in better shape. Ilaoa has since proven he's effective as a running back at 5-feet-9 and 254 pounds.

Ilaoa was courted by schools all over the country after his stellar high school career at Stafford, Va. His first choice was Oklahoma.

He had lived there when he first started playing football, and was a Sooners fan.

Ilaoa's father was a Marine whose office was at the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Filipo Ilaoa knew many of the 168 people who died from the massive explosion there April 19, 1995.

"He was a recruiter for that entire area of the country. Luckily he was on the road that day," Ilaoa said. "He lost some friends in there."

When the family was re-stationed in Virginia, Nate Ilaoa's football heart remained with the Sooners.

"I was ready to go to Oklahoma. I had an offer on the table and was close to verbally committing, but I wanted to take all my visits and I didn't want to commit early. By the time my visit came up, they pulled back the scholarship and said they had enough receivers. That was my first choice. After that I really had to start looking for a school," Ilaoa said.

"The kid who committed ended up going to Kansas State and then Tulsa. The guy took my dream-school scholarship and didn't even use it."

Miami and Virginia Tech were among those providing firm offers, but Ilaoa chose UH, partly because his father would be stationed at Kaneohe.

It wasn't because of the ocean.

"I don't go to the beach at all. Not unless we're barbecuing or something," Ilaoa said. "I don't like the water. I think all humans should stay on land. When you see a shark walking around Dole Street, let me know."

That sense of humor is why quarterback Colt Brennan asked Ilaoa to be his roommate for road games.

"I kind of like the pressure being taken off me. I like to enjoy myself and be relaxed. He definitely brings that atmosphere," Brennan said. "You sit around laughing for a day-and-a-half and before you know it it's game time.

"My one goal is to tackle Nate," Brennan said. "I try, countless times, to tackle him when he's not looking. He said it only counts on the football field. When we're practicing I try to get him, and I haven't yet."

Brennan isn't alone. Opposing defenders have had their difficulties, too. Ilaoa's average of 8.0 yards per rushing attempt is among the best in the nation.

"He can make guys miss, he can run through you," Jones said.

Readyfor8
9/28/2006, 10:42 AM
Dunno who he is talking about, but if he ever wants to come to Norman I'll buy him a beer and relive the glory days of the 90's, or should I say glory day (we had one I think in October of 96.)

Frozen Sooner
9/28/2006, 10:47 AM
If he was in the 2000 recruiting class, I guess he must be. For whatever reason, though, I thought we pulled Janet's offer.

Taxman71
9/28/2006, 10:59 AM
That definitely sounds like Janet. He peaked in high school and fizzled, I believe. Too bad, I want all the samoan types we can get in Norman, those guys can play.

Jewstin
9/28/2006, 11:01 AM
Ah, good ole Jerome Janet ... another played I played with back in the days o' Union. Outstanding talent, but no work ethic whatsoever. He left the team he transferred to ... either voluntarily or he was booted off, I can't remember which.

Although, I'm not entirely sure they're talking about Janet, because if memory serves, I think he transfered to KU, not KState.

Frozen Sooner
9/28/2006, 11:03 AM
Janet didn't transfer from OU. He signed with KSU originally.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/28/2006, 11:05 AM
janet was 2001 and yes that's him. we had brandon jones and only really had room for one more, janet was playing around with us so we eventually pulled his scholarship in january and gave it to justin williams.

ps, the person behind this was mike stoops

Frozen Sooner
9/28/2006, 11:07 AM
Justin Williams really worked out well. Glad we wasted a basketball PQ on a guy that never made the football field.

Taxman71
9/28/2006, 11:13 AM
No big deal, OU didn't have alot to offer recruits in January of 2001 anyway, huh?:rolleyes:

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2006, 11:17 AM
Williams ended up having a pretty decent career at Tennessee State. Too bad, man. The kid was 6'1" and athletic. Like Janet, though, I guess some guys just can't do it when they have to compete against athletes of equal talent day in and day out.

Remember the big WR out of McAlester, Lawson Giddings I think his name was? Another guy everyone in the nation wanted, but who couldn't hack it in Divison I-A.

NWOSURanger
9/28/2006, 12:36 PM
JJ signed a LOI with K-State and went thru fall practice. He didn't go thru Summer conditioning and was out of shape when he reported in the Fall. After a couple of weeks of being away from home or was it that he didn't care for the hard practices that Snyder was doing, he wanted to go back home to Tulsa. Snyder did not let him out of the LOI. Unfortunely for JJ, his mom is a lawyer and sued to get him released. (She should of told him that he made a promise so shut up and go to KState). So she was able to get him released from KState with all of his eligiblity intact. He went to Tulsa and in his freshman year ran back kick offs (including a couple against OU, in which he was clobbered.) His Sophmore season he was declared ineligible and the last I know he is still hanging around Tulsa.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2006, 05:40 PM
Williams ended up having a pretty decent career at Tennessee State. Too bad, man. The kid was 6'1" and athletic. Like Janet, though, I guess some guys just can't do it when they have to compete against athletes of equal talent day in and day out.

Remember the big WR out of McAlester, Lawson Giddings I think his name was? Another guy everyone in the nation wanted, but who couldn't hack it in Divison I-A.

Lawson's problem was that he was so babied in McAlester that he didnt know how to work for anything. If he didnt want to go to practice, he just didnt go. He signed on with OSU, didnt qualify, went to NEO, and put in a couple of seasons of not much...He was offered a scholly to FSU and Bowden was very impressed with him...but alas the practices was too hard and he left to go do nothing.

RedstickSooner
9/28/2006, 06:36 PM
Guy averages 8 yards per carry, but they only rush him about 8 times a game.

Kinda seems like his per-carry numbers might be just a smidgeon inflated by that pass-happy Hawaiian offense.

SoonerNorth
9/28/2006, 08:54 PM
If you remember OU was recruiting Janet along with a couple of other wide receivers. Mike Stoops was on top of OU offer, and when Janet didn't commit Mike pulled our offer. Janet later accepted an offer from KSU and didn't make it the first month of school. I've never heard from him since.

sooneron
9/28/2006, 08:58 PM
Another M Stoops recruiting blunder.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/28/2006, 11:09 PM
Another M Stoops recruiting blunder.

dude, i was kidding. justin williams was a pretty good player, he was just told to take a hike after his grade situation (meaning trevezant faking his grades) almost got us in some kerry jackson like hot water.

hawaii 5-0
9/29/2006, 10:56 AM
Nate's the real deal. He's only 5'9" but he's 250 lbs of speed, quickness and balance. He's also 'Samoan Tough'.
His 8 yards per carry is real. Half of his yards come after contact. One person usually can't bring him down, much like AD. His balance keeps him on his feet and he keeps churning for extra yardage. Nate's proved himself against 'Bama and Boise State. He's also and excellent pass receiver. June Jones has used him as a slot receiver before, but his pass blocking is a bonus, as well as other WRs for the Warriors have produced that June used them and kept Nate in the backfield.

Running backs for Hawaii don't usually get recognition, But Nate Ilaoa is a good 'un.

:cool: 5-0

NormanPride
9/29/2006, 11:07 AM
Dude, I'm sure Nate's a great RB, but "proving" yourself against Boise and Bama... yeah. Not exactly powerhouses right now.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2006, 11:20 AM
Nate's the real deal. He's only 5'9" but he's 250 lbs of speed, quickness and balance. He's also 'Samoan Tough'.
His 8 yards per carry is real. Half of his yards come after contact. One person usually can't bring him down, much like AD. His balance keeps him on his feet and he keeps churning for extra yardage. Nate's proved himself against 'Bama and Boise State. He's also and excellent pass receiver. June Jones has used him as a slot receiver before, but his pass blocking is a bonus, as well as other WRs for the Warriors have produced that June used them and kept Nate in the backfield.

Running backs for Hawaii don't usually get recognition, But Nate Ilaoa is a good 'un.

:cool: 5-0

Ilaoa is getting a lot of props in our draft service...Good size, good receiver out of the backfield, good blocker..I see him as an Alscott type back at the next level..

I would love to see them line up that 350 lb fullback and Ilaoa, who is at 250 plus, in the I formation..600 lbs of backfield!