PDA

View Full Version : Facing the Giants

Widescreen
9/28/2006, 10:23 AM
Anyone going to see it this weekend? I'm taking the family tomorrow. I imagine it's too preachy for some of my fellow SO'ers but I'll report back my findings.

TopDaugIn2000
9/28/2006, 10:47 AM
Our church has been showing previews of this film (yeah, movie previews at CHURCH seemed a bit odd), and they are getting a group together to go see it at crossroads tomorrow nite.

colleyvillesooner
9/28/2006, 10:51 AM
http://www.facingthegiants.com/trailer.php

TUSooner
9/28/2006, 11:02 AM
So they talk about God in a good way? Where was this movie made?

crawfish
9/28/2006, 11:09 AM
This is the movie that got the publicity by being rated PG, right?

Widescreen
9/28/2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=24046

Here's an article I found about the guys that made the movie. I've seen several Christian movies and I don't think I've ever seen one that was a Hollywood quality movie - I'm sure it's primarily because they usually have a really low budget so they can't afford decent effects and actors. I hope this one turns out good.

Widescreen
9/29/2006, 11:08 PM
OK, took the family to see this movie today. Here's my review.

The Good: I've never seen a better Christian-themed movie. Typically the acting is so bad that I really don't care what happens to any of the characters. Not so with this movie. The coach and his wife do a great job with a range of emotions (football successes and failures and personal-life problems) It's got a lot of humor in it - and not :rolleyes: type humor either. We laughed out loud on numerous occasions. There are also several emotional moments that brought tears to my eyes. Even my ice-queen daughter had a few tears. There were a lot of predictable moments but some genuine surprises too. The general tone is kind of a Christian football Hoosiers. There was also an interesting cameo by Mark Richt which was kinda cool. It's also a better football movie than Man of the House. ;) Basically, if you're a Christian or aren't put off by characters on-screen who are actual believers who quote scripture occasionally, GO SEE THIS FRICKIN MOVIE. And I don't say that just because I want to support a Christian movie producer. It's because it's really pretty darn good.

The Bad: Well, as I suspected, you can at times tell this was a very low budget movie. It kind of looks like it was filmed by someone with decent cinematography skills but no equipment. There's also no one in it you'd recognize except Mark Richt. I guess the biggest "bad" element is if you're someone who has no interest in hearing anything about Jesus or God in a movie (or is offended by it). Because this could definately be shown in a church and be perfectly suited for that. It was kind of weird hearing some of the stuff in the movie and realizing I'm sitting in the Grapevine Mills AMC movie theater.

Anyway, I suspect it won't be in the theaters after this weekend for lack of interest (and lack of star-power). So if you are interested in seeing it, this will be your chance until the DVD comes out.

pb4ou
2/19/2007, 12:43 AM
We watched it this weekend in the pb4ou household. Great flick. Although at one point of the movie, I turned to my wife and said that the final game in this movie is bringing back fiesta bowl memories that I've tried to forget.

jacru
2/19/2007, 12:48 AM
DVD is out.

def_lazer_fc
2/19/2007, 02:07 AM
i heard that, forget the message, the movie is horrible. holes galore. football scenes terrible for anyone who knows anything about football. but hey, i just read the review.

Widescreen
2/19/2007, 09:01 AM
Anyway, I suspect it won't be in the theaters after this weekend for lack of interest (and lack of star-power). So if you are interested in seeing it, this will be your chance until the DVD comes out.
Well I was certainly wrong about this. It was out in the theaters for about 2 months. :O