PDA

View Full Version : "religious bootcamp" story...

fadada1
9/28/2006, 06:54 AM
from a few weeks back - with the disturbing video of 8 year old kids praising God and the like, and breaking down in tears. i'm sure many of you have seen the video.

anyway, they just had an interview with the one pastor-lady. first, let me just say that she has some serious issues. not that she is a christian or has dedicated her like to Jesus (that's fine), but she's been brainwashed at some time and is doing the same to these kids. she just said that disney films are "filled with witchcraft." now, those of you with kids might have a stronger opinion on that matter, but i never remember seeing any demonic messages in "finding nemo." in fact, i thought it was a nice story about being adventurous and wanting to seek out new things. correct me if i'm wrong.

scary.

Mongo
9/28/2006, 06:58 AM
Shinng example of when people misinterpret the Bible. This usually happens when a bad teacher with charisma passes on his own ideology and others are dooped.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 07:49 AM
Perhaps you might use a movie with witches in it to discuss the witchcraft angle.

I'm not siding with here at all. But out of about 50 films, I'm sure Nemo is about the least representative of her issue.

Plus we already established she was beyond religious before. Firmly planted in wackoville.

fadada1
9/28/2006, 08:04 AM
Perhaps you might use a movie with witches in it to discuss the witchcraft angle.

was "clash of the titans" a disney movie???;)

and i thought the witch in snow white represented nazi germany or something, and snow white represented the pure and innocent U.S.

eh, whatever. this lady is a loon.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 08:10 AM
a quick google picked up these

I'm not agreeing or disputing. Just showing there is something between the two examples you've cited now.

http://www.worldmagblog.com/blog/archives/002929.html

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/4885/disney.html

http://movies.go.com/parentpreviews/review?rid=196

http://www.thegreatseparation.com/newsfront/2004/05/disney_lusting_.html**
quick scan of this last one has quite a bit of issues below the article

fadada1
9/28/2006, 08:51 AM
i think tom cruise has something to do with this... in some kind of indirect way.

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2006, 09:13 AM
Shinng example of when people misinterpret the Bible. This usually happens when a bad teacher with charisma passes on his own ideology and others are dooped.

Eggggg-zactly.

leavingthezoo
9/28/2006, 10:21 AM
i'm pretty sure you're going to hell for this thread. i'm also pretty sure half of you are witches.

soonervegas
9/28/2006, 10:44 AM
Butthead: "Woah. Is that Christian Slater?"

Beavis: "Christians? Later dude."

SCOUT
9/28/2006, 10:54 AM
I am with SAS on this one. The lady is a nut. However, Mickey does live in the Magic Kingdom and had a pretty famous role as a sorcerer.
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Disney/Fantasia.jpg

Rhino
9/28/2006, 11:24 AM
This is the kind of thing that bastardizes the Christian religion. I feel really bad for those kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWIb4FwHPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE

yermom
9/28/2006, 01:21 PM
I am with SAS on this one. The lady is a nut. However, Mickey does live in the Magic Kingdom and had a pretty famous role as a sorcerer.
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Disney/Fantasia.jpg

there is no shortage of magic in Disney films

crawfish
9/28/2006, 01:24 PM

I take it you've never sat through "Pocohantas"...

yermom
9/28/2006, 01:41 PM
on the whole, not as a rule

kinda like how Christians are crazy ;)

crawfish
9/28/2006, 01:45 PM
on the whole, not as a rule

kinda like how Christians are crazy ;)

Well, whaddya expect? We're no different from everybody else. :D

Hatfield
9/28/2006, 02:05 PM
i'm pretty sure you're going to hell for this thread. i'm also pretty sure half of you are witches.

do they float?

p.s. the scene of them "praying to/praising" a picture of bush is downright frightening.

p.p.s. the scene of the 5 year old being worried about his soul and needing to be saved is also craptastic.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/28/2006, 05:20 PM

See Jim Jones

GottaHavePride
9/28/2006, 05:27 PM

You know what I think is funny? PC types always go on about how stuff is inappropriate for children, and you need to tone down the violence so kids don't get the wrong ideas, and so on. But every single fairy tale out there (and they were mostly written about 200 years ago) is about death, betrayal, struggles against evil, occult forces, and love - both pure "heroic/courtly" love and dark obsessive love. Really some creepy stuff in there...

And the REALLY funny part that the fundamental religious types (you know, the people that wouldn't let their kids watch the Smurfs becasue Gargamel had a pentagram on his floor...) always miss is that those stories ALSO contain the theme that faith in God is what allows the heroes to resist those evil, occult forces and triumph in the end. Heh.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 05:32 PM
Red Riding Hood's grandmother was a boozer.

BURN IT!

mdklatt
9/28/2006, 05:49 PM
And the REALLY funny part that the fundamental religious types (you know, the people that wouldn't let their kids watch the Smurfs becasue Gargamel had a pentagram on his floor...) always miss is that those stories ALSO contain the theme that faith in God is what allows the heroes to resist those evil, occult forces and triumph in the end. Heh.

The Smurfs were bible thumpers? :confused:

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2006, 07:08 PM
Hocus Pocus was a disney movie...

Rogue
9/28/2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks to the parents who sent their kids to these camps, the job security of all of us in mental health is safe for a loooooong time. Just sayin'.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2006, 08:23 PM
I've known kids like this. They're crazo mofo's let me tell ya.

The brother of one of my friends wasn't allowed to go over to his friend's house anymore because their parents found out that my friend's brother had a poster of some model on his wall and decided he was a bad influence.

Those kids are sexually and socially repressed.

sooneron
9/28/2006, 08:35 PM
There are a couple of posters on this board that are eerily quiet on this one. I won't name names.

Disney's agenda has been and will always be obtaining the almighty dollar. Kids are interested in witches and creepy crap (see Harry P). It sells.

sooneron
9/28/2006, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=mgDZ_-PNUms

heh

usmc-sooner
9/28/2006, 08:59 PM
why is it that people who attack Christians always go for this, they never really refute what the Bible actually says?

the same people get all holier than thou if you lump muslims in with all jihadists.

soonermaticsam
9/28/2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah for me, I'm a survivor
I was one of those kids who was paranoid of every mistake or bad thought that I had because I knew I would instantly go to hell. Fortunately I have some balance now but I'm sure I would never raise my kids like this, it ****es me off that I still have issues because of someone's irresponsibility. That's what sucks about people who abuse religious freedom.

Finding Nemo was one hell of a ride, I'm gradually building my way up to Shrek, maybe next year I'll dabble with some Anime.

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 09:12 PM
japanese cartoons are from satan

soonermaticsam
9/28/2006, 09:17 PM
I love this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=423412654049302774&pr=goog-sl

sanantoniosooner
9/28/2006, 09:18 PM
this is much better (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1896373692253736225&q=farting+matrix&hl=en)
better version (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7958815646558446244&q=fart&hl=en)

usmc-sooner
9/28/2006, 09:20 PM
well I appreciate my Christian upbringing, my parents were not extreme but they instilled in me, my love for Jesus Christ.

Ash
9/28/2006, 09:22 PM
why is it that people who attack Christians always go for this, they never really refute what the Bible actually says?

the same people get all holier than thou if you lump muslims in with all jihadists.

Ignorant bigoted generalizations are always crap. Bottomline.

What this thread is about is a group of frightening extremists who are damaging more lives than they are helping. That doesn't hold for the vast majority of Christians...or other people.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2006, 09:29 PM
There are a couple of posters on this board that are eerily quiet on this one. I won't name names.
Maybe cause its a stupid film with an obvious agenda that you and other Christian bashers are eating up? I love how the video shows the Christian Flag, as if this represents how all Christians act and think.

These kids will probably grow up and turn against the teachings of Jesus just because of this crap going on at these camps.

Its sad and very wrong.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2006, 09:59 PM
I'm not hostile toward religion or Christianity. I'm just hostile to this kind of thing. Every kid that I've known who was raised that way is off their *** crazy today.

I guess I'm just biased though or don't understand. I wasn't raised in a religous household at all a basic statement of "there is a God" was about the extent of it.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2006, 10:36 PM
I'm not hostile toward religion or Christianity. I'm just hostile to this kind of thing. Every kid that I've known who was raised that way is off their *** crazy today.

I guess I'm just biased though or don't understand. I wasn't raised in a religous household at all a basic statement of "there is a God" was about the extent of it.

I don't think you are hostile towards it, your'e a Baylor fan after all, however some on here obviously have issues, thus leading them to sterotype with their bigoted and hateful statements.

All I can say is Christ himself warned against this sort of thing. These kids will find that out oneday. Hopefully it won't turn them away from eternal life with our Lord and Savior later in life.

Stoop Dawg
9/30/2006, 12:35 AM
however some on here obviously have issues, thus leading them to sterotype with their bigoted and hateful statements.

TUBA FINALLY GETS IT!!!

HOOOOORAY!!

Hatfield
9/30/2006, 08:47 AM

similar to how some members attack the left using only the most extreme groups as verification.

and i fail to see where people are attacking christians as a whole. the focus seems to be on the fantical and intensely fundamental group which distorts what the underlying teachings are supposed to be imo

handcrafted
9/30/2006, 09:52 AM
You know what I think is funny? PC types always go on about how stuff is inappropriate for children, and you need to tone down the violence so kids don't get the wrong ideas, and so on. But every single fairy tale out there (and they were mostly written about 200 years ago) is about death, betrayal, struggles against evil, occult forces, and love - both pure "heroic/courtly" love and dark obsessive love. Really some creepy stuff in there...

See, e.g., Lord of the Rings; See also Chronicles of Narnia

handcrafted
9/30/2006, 10:25 AM
Oh, and...what Tuba said.

Every group has their wackos, and wackos get all the press and TV shows, because, well, to most people, regular folks are boring. This society thrives on voyeurism and lusts after the abnormal. Just another indicator of our decadence. This is what happens when standards are lowered and truth is not taught.

OklahomaTuba
9/30/2006, 10:44 AM
similar to how some members attack the left using only the most extreme groups as verification.

Problem is, we don't use only the most extreme groups to attack the left, as the mainstream left does a damn good job on its own.

Standing on the floor of the US Senate calling our troops nazis, or having an ex presidential candidate say our troops are terrorizing civilains are several good examples of this.

Okla-homey
9/30/2006, 11:52 AM
Bottomline for me and mine:

When dogma and a political agenda eclipse the Gospel of Jesus Christ...time to look for another church.

OklahomaTuba
9/30/2006, 02:49 PM
Very true.

Kels
9/30/2006, 06:23 PM
I've had students come out of backgrounds like that. I can recount several great stories of balance as they learn what Biblical grace and a personal relationship with Jesus looks like.

My wife came out of a holiness church. No TV, no doctors, no gold jewelry, no open-toed shoes, dresses to the ankle, long sleeves, etc. Her family left that church 15 years ago, and are doing really well today.

Unfortunately, a number of people from that background end up walking away from Christianity altogether. They realize that they can't keep the list of rules anymore, get tired of trying, and figure they will just go to hell. It's sad.

handcrafted
9/30/2006, 11:17 PM
Roger that. See also "Landmark Baptists".

The trouble with these legalistic Pharasaical groups is the same thing that Jesus said about the same folks in his day:

Matthew 23 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=matthew+23)

Read that, you people, and weep.

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2006, 11:21 PM
I always wondered if Primative Baptists used silverware or not.

yermom
9/30/2006, 11:23 PM
but they had Pepsi?

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2006, 11:30 PM
Roger that. See also "Landmark Baptists".

The trouble with these legalistic Pharasaical groups is the same thing that Jesus said about the same folks in his day:

Matthew 23 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=matthew+23)

Read that, you people, and weep.
I never did care for the scabs and parasites.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 01:15 PM
Maybe cause its a stupid film with an obvious agenda that you and other Christian bashers are eating up? I love how the video shows the Christian Flag, as if this represents how all Christians act and think.

These kids will probably grow up and turn against the teachings of Jesus just because of this crap going on at these camps.

Its sad and very wrong.
I'm glad you don't let the facts get in the way of stuff. Where have I EVER bashed a Christian. That would be a little hypocritical, seeing as how I was an acolyte for 6 years, Youth ministry VP at my church and a counselor at a "church camp".

:rolleyes:

Do I point out hypocrasies in ALL religions, yes. GAFDOCADWI

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2006, 09:54 PM
I'm glad you don't let the facts get in the way of stuff. Where have I EVER bashed a Christian. That would be a little hypocritical, seeing as how I was an acolyte for 6 years, Youth ministry VP at my church and a counselor at a "church camp".

:rolleyes:

Do I point out hypocrasies in ALL religions, yes. GAFDOCADWI

Taking somone's comments, "radicalizing" them, then calling them names is the "Tuba Way".