PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Bill "Huge" Simonson from OK radio?

MI Sooner
9/27/2006, 05:34 PM
He's on the radio in Michigan now, and I know he spent time in OK (maybe in both OKC and Tulsa). Does anyone know on what terms he left OK or have an opinion of him based on his time there? I think he must have been gone by the time I started listening to sports talk radio (around 1998)?

I actually miss the Sports Animal, not because I thought it was great radio, but at least it was all Sooners, all the time (well mostly, anyway).

Widescreen
9/27/2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I remember him. I'll bet *************** remembers him even more though (assuming he wasn't drunk at the time, that is).

walkoffsooner
9/27/2006, 07:26 PM
Did he leave for a huge contract?

picasso
9/27/2006, 07:41 PM
he was a boozehound and a loudmouth. I know him and his boy Healey Copter used to hang out and hit on chicks half their age.

:pop:

Jeopardude
9/27/2006, 08:26 PM
Didn't he get axed/urged to leave off some Tulsa station for using offensive terms about John Blake? I'm 77% sure about that.

Rocker
9/27/2006, 09:42 PM
He left Tulsa for bigger gig in Austin, TX not on bad terms with radio station it was better deal. Then left Austin, TX for Chicago and ESPN Radio that deal didn't workout. Anything he might have said about John Blake was true anyway.

The VIIIth
9/27/2006, 09:56 PM
Captain Huge.

Tell him hi from the guy in Tulsa who called the NAACP after he called Boo Blake "Buckwheat" on air.

In retrospect...

Scott D
9/27/2006, 10:02 PM
ouch, you are up in the Flint area eh? My condolences.

soonersam
9/28/2006, 07:31 AM
he didnt just go after Blake.. He was doing the play by play for a High school game of the week on 1430 in Tulsa. In the process of a player making a long TD run he yells out "that boy runs like a monkey".. I think he was gone the next week....

MI Sooner
9/28/2006, 04:09 PM
I'm not Flint, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop casting aspersions my way. He's on about 10 different stations all over MI, pretty much everywhere except Detroit (where I don't live either, thankfully).

Jorge
9/29/2006, 04:11 PM
I was in Austin when he was there. I guess Austin may be a bigger market than Tulsa, but the station he was on was second rate at best. He'd suck up to anybody, was an arrogant ***, and couldn't hold his liquor. While he was there the station ran a promo for a party in your home. Beer, local Budweiser girls, big screen TV etc... From a very reliable source that worked at that station, Simonson was known to show up and not leave until the next morning whether asked to stay or not. After one of these parties he went on the air and stated that the wife of the winner was allegedly dancing on a table...maybe topless. He was sued for defamation. Prior to the case going to court he landed the ESPN gig in Chicago. If memory serves, he lost the case in Austin and had to pay damages. In Chicago, he had the better half of his face caved in outside Wrigley. No idea how innocent or guilty he may have been in that incident.

MI Sooner
9/29/2006, 04:25 PM
I think that the assault in Chicago happened outside Comiskey.

Since he moved to Grand Rapids, there was another incident (vastly more humorous than getting beaten by thugs) that resulted in bodily harm to The Huge One. Apparently, he was nailing some chick, and suffered a hernia mid-coitus. The pain caused him to pass out and smash his face into a table (or something).

Maybe you had to be there (although I'm glad I wasn't).