PDA

View Full Version : Removal of instant replay

CrimsonChampion
9/27/2006, 01:42 PM
This would be scary for me and probably other Sooner fans. Without replay, refs have an excuse for bad calls, they called it the best way they saw it. If there is replay there is NO EXCUSE, and the nation can see for itself a screw job in the making.

I only bring this up because there are a few people in the media that wanna see the end of it, but that would be the end of good evidence against crackerjack officials that wanna ruin a chance for kids to do something special, which ofcourse is play in the national championship or one of the BCS games.

mrowl
9/27/2006, 01:48 PM
I wanna see replay in the NCAA just like the NFL, the head ref on the field makes the call. Not some idiot in the booth away from the game.

Jackal
9/27/2006, 02:02 PM
I've always felt there was a agenda to make instant replay ineffective by game officials, they don't want it because exposes them to more criticism, so they secretly try to undermine it.

devOUt
9/27/2006, 02:18 PM
If the referee went to high school with the head coach one of the teams (like we saw at Oregon), there is still a lot of potential for a screw job. The entire process of assigning game officials needs to be revamped and the good-old-boy officiating system discarded.

Partial Qualifier
9/27/2006, 02:18 PM
I'm undecided on this matter but before instant replay, we didn't have this situation where the on-field refs make the safe calls and rely on the replay official to bail them out. Which is where the screwjobs usually occur.

Maybe without that safety net, the on-field guys go back to paying attention to what's happening on the field?? idunno

tbl
9/27/2006, 02:23 PM
I'm all for getting officiating into the 21st century in all sports. I'm talking GPS in the balls (WHAT?!?!), lazer guidance all over the field, all kinds of stuff. The technology would be easy to implement.

GrapevineSooner
9/27/2006, 02:26 PM
Trust me, most refs hate to blow a call.

As it stands right now, I think some refs use replay as a crutch with the expectation that if they make a bad call that's reviewable, they'll get bailed out.

Readyfor8
9/27/2006, 02:26 PM
I had a feeling that Referee's in College Football resented replay being added to every game last year. As such they seemed to call more bad calls, they seemed to not even try to call the game correctly.

Case in point the 5th Down and the 84 Texas game were 8 years apart, but Texas Tech, Oregon, and to a lesser degree Okie Light Houston are all within a seasons worth of games.

Alot of that has to do with the fact that officials that spent so much time on the field together don't want to overturn the calls of another official that they know so well, couple that with the fact that officials are more likely to call in favor of the home team, and we have a serious problem.

You have to have a seperate replay crew from the officiating crew, you have to have a seperate officiating crew for OOC games and you must have multiple challenges. If you have a TO you should have a Challenge.

GrapevineSooner
9/27/2006, 02:28 PM
If you have a TO you should have a Challenge.

Yes, us Cowboy fans know that when you have a TO, you have a challenge. That's being discussed in another thread, sir. ;)

Partial Qualifier
9/27/2006, 02:53 PM
I think some refs use replay as a crutch with the expectation that if they make a bad call that's reviewable, they'll get bailed out.

That's what I said, but he did this thing with his hand...........

OUDoc
9/27/2006, 03:14 PM
I like replay because the alternative is unbearable. I can handle an overturned call that goes against us if its right. Despite recent events, instant replay is the only way to correct these calls. Take it away and the bad calls will never be corrected.

And I hope we never get to the point that jaux has electronic devices in his balls.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2006, 03:28 PM
Even though replay has definitely effected this team negatively just think..

a ball that was never closed to being caught was called a td on the field before replay reviewed it...

it was almost comical because the ball hits the wr hands and bounces right out.

SleestakSooner
9/27/2006, 03:40 PM
And I hope we never get to the point that jaux has electronic devices in his balls.

Would those then be ben jaux balls?:eek:

Luthor
9/27/2006, 03:57 PM
The NCAA must first grow some gonads and tell the Puke10 that they must play by the same rule that every other conference does; that being the visiting conference in an OCC game provides the officials. It's our own fault for standing by and not putting pressure on our own school/conference to eliminate this obvious opportunity for home cooking. Even if home cooking doesn't happen there is still the opportunity for it and that is unconscienable.

This is just another example of the NCAA cow towing to certain parties of special interest. It reeks of pandering and I'm pretty sick of the whole thing.

Scott D
9/27/2006, 03:57 PM
replay officials should be conference independant, paid by the governing body of college sports. Yes..that's right, the Notre Dame Booster Club ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2006, 03:58 PM
right on...give no appearance of evil...

GR may normally make sound decisions but a hometowner shouldnt be put in a position to make a decision for and against the home team

Partial Qualifier
9/27/2006, 04:13 PM
Even though replay has definitely effected this team negatively just think..

a ball that was never closed to being caught was called a td on the field before replay reviewed it...

it was almost comical because the ball hits the wr hands and bounces right out.

I know that play you're talking about :mad:

But see, that's the exact situation Grapevine and I were talking about.
BEFORE instant replay, refs didn't have that safety net, so they weren't so lackadaisical in the closing moments of a tight game. Since IR came to be, they make the easy call (in favor of the home team) and let the replay dolt bail them out.

Can you imagine or even recall a blown call (like the Tech 'TD' you're talking about) being made....... before instant replay?

I can think of 2 or 3 blatantly horrible calls like that one. 84 TX comes to mind. Well in the 2 years since instant replay, we've been victimized twice in these situations.

I totally believe it's caused by the safety net. I'm not ready to banish IR, but damn they need to get it ironed out quickly.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2006, 04:17 PM
I know that play you're talking about :mad:

But see, that's the exact situation Grapevine and I were talking about.
BEFORE instant replay, refs didn't have that safety net, so they weren't so lackadaisical in the closing moments of a tight game. They make the easy call (in favor of the home team) and let the replay dolt bail them out.

Can you imagine or even recall a blown call (like the Tech 'TD' you're talking about) being made....... before instant replay?

I can think of 2 or 3 blatantly horrible calls like that one. 84 TX comes to mind. Well in the 2 years since instant replay, we've been victimized twice in these situations.

I totally believe it's caused by the safety net. I'm not ready to banish IR, but damn they need to get it ironed out quickly.

Oh yeah and I agree with that. its definitely a crutch for these guys...like the houston zero state game...if forward progress was not reviewable in this case, why did they even send it up to him in the first place?

but for some reason bad officiating is going on in every level of sports..i ve went to some high school games that were just putrid this year.

I do know there is a shortage of refs. I ve had numerous calls about officiating games but neither team wants to dish out the bucks for a victory

Partial Qualifier
9/27/2006, 04:24 PM
Oh yeah and I agree with that. its definitely a crutch for these guys...like the houston zero state game...if forward progress was not reviewable in this case, why did they even send it up to him in the first place?

but for some reason bad officiating is going on in every level of sports..i ve went to some high school games that were just putrid this year.

I do know there is a shortage of refs. I ve had numerous calls about officiating games but neither team wants to dish out the bucks for a victory

Dude, so true. Maybe they oughtta start paying the refs a real salary......... and make them accountable.

GottaHavePride
9/27/2006, 04:33 PM
GPS in my balls might be what I need. ;)

Nah, just check in your wife's purse. ;)

I KEED! I KEED!

Seriously, the joke was too easy.