PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy

The Maestro
9/27/2006, 10:27 AM
Wouldn't it be just kinda cool if we were saving this monster for the Texas game? Now, I know that isn't going to happen and it would really be bad strategy since we didn't use him at Oregon, but I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why coaches are saying he's just not ready. Not ready for what? Hell, just get in the offensive backfield and cause disruption! Force the play to go another way! It's not like we expect tackles to lead the team in tackles, but to force plays other ways and to mainly be a disruption. What kind of technique is needed for that? Snap, bull rush, and take up bodies so the linebackers can make tackles. Tony Casillas IS the reason Brian Bosworth was all-world in college. He required two to three lineman to block him and that led Bosworth to wide open tackles all over the field!

So after watching McCoy in the Army All Star game and watching him dominate the highest recruited O-linemen in the country, I just can't figure out why this guy isn't ready yet. To me, D-Tackle is not the brainiest position on the field anyway. It's more about chaos and disruption.

jbstrick
9/27/2006, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't it be just kinda cool if we were saving this monster for the Texas game? Now, I know that isn't going to happen and it would really be bad strategy since we didn't use him at Oregon, but I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why coaches are saying he's just not ready. Not ready for what? Hell, just get in the offensive backfield and cause disruption! Force the play to go another way! It's not like we expect tackles to lead the team in tackles, but to force plays other ways and to mainly be a disruption. What kind of technique is needed for that? Snap, bull rush, and take up bodies so the linebackers can make tackles. Tony Casillas IS the reason Brian Bosworth was all-world in college. He required two to three lineman to block him and that led Bosworth to wide open tackles all over the field!

So after watching McCoy in the Army All Star game and watching him dominate the highest recruited O-linemen in the country, I just can't figure out why this guy isn't ready yet. To me, D-Tackle is not the brainiest position on the field anyway. It's more about chaos and disruption.

:confused:

You watched him dominate highschool kids. There is a slight difference no matter how good they are. It is what it is. He is not ready.

The Maestro
9/27/2006, 12:40 PM
No, I watched him be named the Defensive MVP of the Army All Star game which pits the best of the best. I can guarantee you that a bunch of those players in that game that did not perform as well as Gerald are playing right now. Now if Tommie and Dusty were our DT's I would understand, but so far that position has been a weakness so I just can't understand how a guy as gifted physically as Gerald as strong as him can't be able to disrupt an offense.

I trust the coaches...it's just odd to me.

SleestakSooner
9/27/2006, 12:42 PM
Are you disrupting my dots?

Soonermagik
9/27/2006, 12:48 PM
yeah, I tend to agree with jbstrick dominating high school kids and veteran college players are 2 different things. That's not to say that he can't be great, but he probably just needs time to get polished. Plus, we need to save some of our talent for the upcoming years.

MiccoMacey
9/27/2006, 01:31 PM
Plus, we need to save some of our talent for the upcoming years.

I've never liked that philosophy...it says "use'em while you can because you never know when another good one will come around".

That's good for OSU and the like, but I have to believe that we're able to get top recruits year in and year out.

Plus, apparently the coaches agree with me as they pulled Walker out of redshirt in our, what, 9th game?

When the coaches say he's ready, I say play him.

Tear Down This Wall
9/27/2006, 02:23 PM
http://whosagitatingmydots.ytmnd.com/

OUMallen
9/27/2006, 02:57 PM
I've never liked that philosophy...it says "use'em while you can because you never know when another good one will come around".

That's good for OSU and the like, but I have to believe that we're able to get top recruits year in and year out.

Plus, apparently the coaches agree with me as they pulled Walker out of redshirt in our, what, 9th game?

When the coaches say he's ready, I say play him.

That can be unfair to the kids, though...

MiccoMacey
9/27/2006, 03:08 PM
Unfair how? If they're not ready, they don't play.

If the coaches believe they are ready, they play.

I understand that an extra year would benefit some kids who might need that extra year of maturity to possibly get to the NFL, but that should be up to the discretion of the student.

If a student thinks he's not ready or might want that extra year, more than likely it'll show through in some passive-aggressive form, i.e. not practicing as hard as he can, sounding unsure in front of the coaches, etc...

I promise I'd hate to screw a kid out of a year he thought he should get as much as you. And I'm sure the coaches feel the same way (which might be why they are holding him back...you never know).

Jello Biafra
9/27/2006, 03:43 PM
To me, D-Tackle is not the brainiest position on the field anyway. It's more about chaos and disruption.

says the man who has obviously never played the position. :rolleyes:

KingDavid
9/27/2006, 09:44 PM

If he were ready, they'd play him. They've never shown any hesitation about playing true freshmen. BTW, from what I've read and heard . . . Adrian Taylor will press for playing time next year . . . so McCoy is not even a lock for next year to start . . .

We've seen the best and the worst when it comes to top flight defensive tackles. Harris was all-world. Then there was the fat-*** drop-out. Now we have Granger emerging after a red-shirt year.

Lastly, a word about DT not being a brainy position. Answer: it's true in high school because the disparity in strength, talent, and speed can be strong. Also, high schools have more vanilla offensive schemes and less weapons with which to hurt the opponent.

Totally different story at Div. I. These coaches and coordinators no how to ABUSE a player without discipline & technique. My guess is this is why is sitting this year: to unlearn bad habits created when he could dominate all by himself without having to think and be one part of an 11 man unit.