PDA

View Full Version : Bread

Petro-Sooner
9/26/2006, 03:40 PM
Does a loaf of bread stay fresher longer in the fridge. Someone here at work put some in the fridge and it got me to thinking.

SoonerInKCMO
9/26/2006, 03:42 PM
No. The air in the fridge is drier than the outside air and will dry out the bread. Keeping it in the freezer, though, it'll last for a few months.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/26/2006, 03:47 PM
I always keep my bread in the microwave. Except when I'm using the microwave!! Kinda works like a breadbox. I've known other people that do that too. I do keep my coffee in the freezer though.

TopDaugIn2000
9/26/2006, 03:49 PM
I always keep my bread in the fridge, and my coffee in the freezer

crawfish
9/26/2006, 03:51 PM
http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/gallery/br/breadbo5204649599638180.jpg

Soonerbabeinbama
9/26/2006, 03:52 PM
I always keep my bread in the fridge, and my coffee in the freezer
cold bread is kind of yuck though isn't it TD?:D

Howzit
9/26/2006, 04:04 PM
Does a loaf of bread stay fresher longer in the fridge. Someone here at work put some in the fridge and it got me to thinking.

Dead hookers do, that's fer sure.

Hope that helps.

Petro-Sooner
9/26/2006, 04:05 PM
nothing like a frozen bread and ham sammich.

achiro
9/26/2006, 04:18 PM
nothing like a frozen bread woman for lunch.
:eek:

TopDaugIn2000
9/26/2006, 04:19 PM
cold bread is kind of yuck though isn't it TD?:D

I usually toast it just a little :D

mdklatt
9/26/2006, 04:20 PM
Does a loaf of bread stay fresher longer in the fridge.

It will go a lot longer without getting moldy, but it will still lose it's peak freshness after a few days.

Mjcpr
9/26/2006, 04:21 PM
It will go a lot longer without getting moldy, but it will still lose it's peak freshness after a few days.

http://planetsean.blogspot.com/martha%20stewart%201.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
9/26/2006, 04:22 PM
The fridge/freezer is a bad place for coffee, FYI

tbl
9/26/2006, 04:24 PM
Fridge bread ain't bad at all. It does keep it from getting moldy as fast, but I think the bigger advantage is it keeps it moist. I'm not sure where the theory came in that fridge air is drier than outside air, b/c that doesn't seem to be true in our house.

mdklatt
9/26/2006, 04:28 PM
Fridge bread ain't bad at all. It does keep it from getting moldy as fast, but I think the bigger advantage is it keeps it moist.

I think the bread gets dry just as fast inside or outside of the fridge, but outside of the fridge you'd have to throw the it away before it got noticeably dry.

IB4OU2
9/26/2006, 04:53 PM
Dead hookers do, that's fer sure.

Hope that helps.

Yea, you don't want a dry hooker....dead or alive.....:cool:

Soonerbabeinbama
9/26/2006, 05:41 PM
The fridge/freezer is a bad place for coffee, FYI
why is that?

mdklatt
9/26/2006, 05:43 PM
why is that?

Because coffee is supposed to be hot. Duh! I don't even drink coffee and I figured that one out. Jeez.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/26/2006, 05:56 PM
Because coffee is supposed to be hot. Duh! I don't even drink coffee and I figured that one out. Jeez.
well duh - never had iced coffee have you Klatt?;)

mdklatt
9/26/2006, 05:59 PM
well duh - never had iced coffee have you Klatt?;)

No, because I don't keep coffee in my freezer.

LilSooner
9/26/2006, 06:00 PM
I keep it in there as well and it lasts forever. No more mold!

GottaHavePride
9/26/2006, 06:13 PM
why is that?

Some of the oils that contribute to the flavor and aroma of coffee are deactivated by cold. So if yoiu keep your coffee in the fridge or freezer you'll get really dead-tasting coffee. For reals. Same thing with olive oil. Never refrigerate that stuff.

And about bread: dryness in the fridge = not a problem. When you make your sammich toast the sammich in a buttered cast-iron skillet. No more dry bread. YWIA.

StoopTroup
9/26/2006, 06:26 PM
Why has coffee jacked this bread thread.

I bet bread is upset.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/26/2006, 07:45 PM
Some of the oils that contribute to the flavor and aroma of coffee are deactivated by cold. So if yoiu keep your coffee in the fridge or freezer you'll get really dead-tasting coffee. For reals. Same thing with olive oil. Never refrigerate that stuff.

And about bread: dryness in the fridge = not a problem. When you make your sammich toast the sammich in a buttered cast-iron skillet. No more dry bread. YWIA.
so i've been dead-tasting my coffee all of these years? I never knew. I thought it sealed in the flavor or something. Okay - coffee is coming out of the freezer!! Thanks GHP. Without the SF I would be a lost ball in high weeds. ;)

Soonerbabeinbama
9/26/2006, 07:46 PM

I bet bread is upset.
"It don't matter to me" - sorry, i had to do that:cool:

Jimminy Crimson
9/26/2006, 07:47 PM
You also can get condensation on your beans which doesn't help their shelf life or taste.

<insert joke here>

RacerX
9/26/2006, 09:12 PM
Baby, I'm-a want you
Baby, I'm-a need you
You the only one I care enough to hurt about
Maybe I'm-a crazy
But I just can't live without...

Your lovin' and affection
Givin' me direction
Like a guiding light to help me through a darkest hour
Lately I'm a-prayin'
That you'll always be a-stayin' beside me

Used to be my life was just emotions passing by
Feeling all the while and never really knowing why

Lately I'm a-prayin'
That you'll always be a-stayin' beside me

Used to be my life was just emotions passing by
Then you came along and made me laugh and made me cry
You taught me why

Baby, I'm-a want you
Baby, I'm-a need you
Oh, it took so long to find you, baby
Baby, I'm-a want you
Baby, I'm-a need you

Boarder
9/26/2006, 09:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing. "If", "Diary", etc.

Soonrboy
9/26/2006, 09:29 PM
A loaf of bread doesn't have to worry about going stale at our house. They don't live very long.

sooneron
9/26/2006, 10:14 PM

I bet bread is upset.
Bread is just getting over that whole Atkins thing.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2006, 11:26 PM
You also can get condensation on your beans which doesn't help their shelf life or taste.

<insert joke here>

I tend to get that more in warm environments, myself. HI-yo!

FroggyStyle22
9/26/2006, 11:30 PM
The theory behind putting bread in the fridge is that most common microbes don't grow very well at lower temps so they do not spoil the bread as fast.

mdklatt
9/27/2006, 09:57 AM
The theory behind putting bread in the fridge is that most common microbes don't grow very well at lower temps so they do not spoil the bread as fast.

Thanks for the info, Professor Obvious.

;)

tbl
9/27/2006, 10:05 AM
Okay, here's my question about the dry/moist environment inside a fridge: If it's drier in there, how come my pizza turns soggy when I put it in? If you leave it exposed in the fridge, it does get dried out, but if it's in a ziploc bag (like bread in it's plastic bag), it gets soggy. Is the bag the x-factor?

mdklatt
9/27/2006, 10:10 AM
Okay, here's my question about the dry/moist environment inside a fridge: If it's drier in there, how come my pizza turns soggy when I put it in? If you leave it exposed in the fridge, it does get dried out, but if it's in a ziploc bag (like bread in it's plastic bag), it gets soggy. Is the bag the x-factor?

If the pizza is warm when you put it in there will be condensation.

frankensooner
9/27/2006, 11:14 AM
Well great, wth am I supposed to do with my breadbox? Does it go in the fridge too?

TopDaugIn2000
9/27/2006, 11:17 AM
Well great, wth am I supposed to do with my breadbox? Does it go in the fridge too?

only if your fridge is bigger than a bread box

Petro-Sooner
9/27/2006, 11:50 AM
I had no idea my bread thread would go this in depth. ITS ONLY BREAD PEOPLE! :D

9/27/2006, 01:34 PM
We buy tortillas from a local taqueria. They don't grow green, hairy clumps near as quickly if refrigerated.

If they do, we give them to kids when they catch colds.

Beef
9/27/2006, 02:03 PM
I keep bread and tortillas in the pantry. They seem to do well there.