PDA

View Full Version : anyone else hoping NO get's throttled tonight?

picasso
9/25/2006, 08:13 PM
if I have to hear more about Katrina and the importance of this fooseball game....

:rolleyes:

usmc-sooner
9/25/2006, 08:21 PM
I'm with you bro

I'm actually wishing a Hurricane would hit ESPN

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 08:24 PM
I'm wishing I had Ed Hochuli's biceps.

OU-HSV
9/25/2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah I was watching the NFL network earlier and they had Spike Lee there for an interview. :eek:

MRNOTDUCKS
9/25/2006, 08:27 PM
Having seen first hand the destruction and the state of the city just three months ago, these people need any boost they can get.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 08:29 PM
I bet people got sick of hearing about the Murrah bombing.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 08:30 PM
Hochuli is a beast.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine was roomate to and played in the defensive backfield with Ed at UTEP.

sooner518
9/25/2006, 08:34 PM
If I hear Kornheiser say "this is more than a football game" one more time.....

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 08:35 PM
If I hear Kornheiser say "this is more than a football game" one more time.....
you'll what?

Penguin
9/25/2006, 08:48 PM
I agree 10,000%.

People forget that New Orleans couldn't even support an NBA team, much less an NFL team, before Katrina.

The only good thing is that right now there are slightly less number of rapes going on in the women's room than during Katrina.

Hornsarelosers
9/25/2006, 08:49 PM
I call Kornheiser "Kornhole."

usmc-sooner
9/25/2006, 08:52 PM
I hope a hurricane hits Spike Lee

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 09:03 PM
Will there ever be a hurricane named Spike?

OUinFLA
9/25/2006, 09:06 PM
I am not happy when hurricane names get to "S"

southern sooner
9/25/2006, 09:07 PM
i sooo agree...sick of it, most or a big majority made out better than they were prior to it, i know it sounds bad but it is what it is...

SoonerJason
9/25/2006, 09:09 PM

oooof.

It's good for football. Anything can bring people together in a positive is always good..

I'm happy for NO.

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:10 PM

Well, each tragedy showed the collective character of the respective cities.

OUstud
9/25/2006, 09:11 PM
I'm just excited for Bill Simmons' reaction to Spike's comments about Isiah.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:13 PM
A bit simplistic IMO.

batonrougesooner
9/25/2006, 09:14 PM
New Orleans got a do-over.

How many other cities get the chance?

picasso
9/25/2006, 09:17 PM
Having seen first hand the destruction and the state of the city just three months ago, these people need any boost they can get.
dude, my gf was there for 10 days this summer rebuilding houses and SHE is sick of the ESPN lovefest.

it's mushy cheeseball stuff. with a side of Joe el Theisman, Mike Zydeco and Tony Cornhole Ettouffee.

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:18 PM
A bit simplistic IMO.

You're the one who brought up that comparison.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:19 PM
by 'character', are you referring to the ways people rioted like animals?

or the way shelves were cleared at stores everywhere, and not just of life-sustaining products such as food?

or do you mean the kindness men showed women just before they raped them?

OKC >>>>>>>>>>>>> NO

picasso
9/25/2006, 09:20 PM
I'm not sick of hearing about Katrina. I'm sick of hearing about how Reggie Bush and the Saints are going to save the city. it's just like during the ESPYs when they honored that high school basketball team from there for elevating the entire gulf coast.:rolleyes:
:confused:

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:21 PM
but let's talk about something we can all agree on---

when the hell are the media types going to stop talking about Michael Vick as the second coming and rather focus on what he truly is--a hack who is a heck of an athlete and a bad QB in the League.

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:21 PM
by 'character', are you referring to the ways people rioted like animals?

or the way shelves were cleared at stores everywhere, and not just of life-sustaining products such as food?

or do you mean the kindness men showed women just before they raped them?

OKC >>>>>>>>>>>>> NO

Yeah, that was pretty much my point. OKC took its situation and didn't say "Poor us." We actually grew in stature because of our response to tragedy. NO has done nothing but play the victim.

picasso
9/25/2006, 09:23 PM
but let's talk about something we can all agree on---

when the hell are the media types going to stop talking about Michael Vick as the second coming and rather focus on what he truly is--a hack who is a heck of an athlete and a bad QB in the League.
have you noticed how he has nobody open? I'd like to see him on a better team myself.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:23 PM
You're the one who brought up that comparison.
yeah......and I thought the direction you went with the comparison was pretty simplistic. The two events were only similar in the sense that they had huge national coverage. That's the only aspect I commented on.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that was pretty much my point. OKC took its situation and didn't say "Poor us." We actually grew in stature because of our response to tragedy. NO has done nothing but play the victim.
gotcha. i actually started thinking that's what you meant. well put; sorry for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:27 PM
have you noticed how he has nobody open? I'd like to see him on a better team myself.
I have noticed that he is not a great quarterback since he was at VT.

Anyone else remember that spoof website VSPN from back in 2000 or so? Pimping up the Vickman trophy, etc.? Good stuff.

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:30 PM
yeah......and I thought the direction you went with the comparison was pretty simplistic. The two events were only similar in the sense that they had huge national coverage. That's the only aspect I commented on.

And I disagree with your comment. OKC did nothing but demonstrate resiliancy and got to work. The reason people are tired of NO is the vast number of folks who have played the entitlement card since this happened.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah......OKC showed tremendous restraint in not looting after the bombing.

good point.

BTW.......my only beef is that it's silly to whine about the coverage. Did you guys whine when the first games took place in New York after 911?

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:33 PM
And I disagree with your comment. OKC did nothing but demonstrate resiliancy and got to work. The reason people are tired of NO is the vast number of folks who have played the entitlement card since this happened.
the problem is they used the entitlement card whilst looting, which in and of itself is quite disenchanting.

mrowl
9/25/2006, 09:35 PM
the saints will be in LA in less than 3 years.

they are now the smallest franchise in the NFL.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:36 PM
the problem is they used the entitlement card whilst looting, which in and of itself is quite disenchanting.
So every person that lived in NO was looting? And exploiting the system?

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:37 PM
Did you guys whine when the first games took place in New York after 911?

No, because NYC handled themselves with dignity and didn't look for a handout at every opportunity.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:39 PM
No, because NYC handled themselves with dignity and didn't look for a handout at every opportunity.
Were there people in NY that still had their homes and their jobs?

apples and oranges.

NO was full of crappy individuals to be sure, but to label the entire city and weight their reaction against incredibly dissimilar situations is silly.

I weighed the nations reaction to the situations, not the cities.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:39 PM
nope. just the ones in front of news cameras.

picasso
9/25/2006, 09:40 PM
Sanantonio, dude you've really f'd up my thread. my point was football and ESPN and Reginald Bush ain't....gonna save the city.

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah......OKC showed tremendous restraint in not looting after the bombing.

Was that supposed to be sarcastic? Just in case, actually yeah, the city did. With the enormous law enforcement presence centered in downtown after the bombing many places in other parts of the city were somewhat exposed. Yet, crime actually dropped during those subsequent days.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:43 PM

apples and oranges.

NO was full of crappy individuals to be sure, but to label the entire city and weight their reaction against incredibly dissimilar situations is silly.

sas, i don't disagree with your point. the issue that i have more relates to the way the vocal contingent from NO presented their situation. victims of tragedy, no doubt. but so were Murrah victims, and so were 9/11 victims. there is a difference among these groups' mentalities in my opinion.

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:43 PM

And I'm sharing an opinion on why the nation's reactions to the tragedies are dissimilar.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:45 PM
Was that supposed to be sarcastic? Just in case, actually yeah, the city did. With the enormous law enforcement presence centered in downtown after the bombing many places in other parts of the city were somewhat exposed. Yet, crime actually dropped during those subsequent days.
It was sarcasm because the situations were so totally different.

I was downtown passing out refreshments to the rescue workers just following the bombing and I have a file cabinet in my garage that survived the bombing. I have a strong connection to the situation. I don't dicuss this lightly. I have also met many NO people here in San Antonio and don't believe they are all criminals.

sooner4life
9/25/2006, 09:45 PM

No not everyone, a lot moved on to other cities, and raised the crime rate there as well, I lived there until this past june. So, I have seen it myself. You can't even go to Walmart after dark, where I lived. I truly felt sorry for everyone, but I have to agree, stop crying and rebuild yourself, stop pointing the finger at everyone else. The help will come.

mrowl
9/25/2006, 09:47 PM
I have also met many NO people here in San Antonio and don't believe they are all criminals.

be happy you don't live in Houston.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 09:49 PM
sas, i don't disagree with your point. the issue that i have more relates to the way the vocal contingent from NO presented their situation. victims of tragedy, no doubt. but so were Murrah victims, and so were 9/11 victims. there is a difference among these groups' mentalities in my opinion.
certainly the leaders of each city handled the situations with differing success and quality.

If NO had better leadership, the perception of the entire city may have been much different.

mrowl
9/25/2006, 09:50 PM
as a side note.

I AM F'ING SICK OF THE MANNING FAMILY COMMERCIALS.

What have they EVER WON?????

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 09:51 PM
as a side note.

The Egg Bowl?

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 09:53 PM
certainly the leaders of each city handled the situations with differing success and quality.

If NO had better leadership, the perception of the entire city may have been much different.
word.

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 10:02 PM
as a side note.

The money bowl.

picasso
9/25/2006, 10:11 PM
as a side note.

Danny and the refs beat us in KC in '88. I still think he's the best Manning.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2006, 10:17 PM
danny pwnes archie

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 10:20 PM
I got nothing against the Mannings.

I'd rather see them than TO or some of the other a-holes that get glorified.

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 10:40 PM
I got nothing against the Mannings.

I'd rather see them than TO or some of the other a-holes that get glorified.
AGREED!

crimson&cream
9/26/2006, 12:02 AM
Seems to me I'd hate to relie on you for a helping hand. Have you been to NO and seen the destruction thats still there and not been taken care of. I'll bet not.
Didn't Jesus say "If you will not help the least among you , nor will I help you." You seem to fit that not helping mold.
I've been to NO many times, use to live 90 miles away, and it's my favorite Big city. So much history there. And still alot of work to be done so shut up already. NO lives off tourist like they said tonight , and this was a good message to come visit NO.
Just how many do you know PERSONALLY that played the hand out/entitlement card. I'm betting not a one, your just one that sucks down a slanted news story in that regard. I pray you never need a helping hand.:(

crimson&cream
9/26/2006, 12:04 AM
[

crimson&cream
9/26/2006, 12:06 AM
ditto the above for u to.

XingTheRubicon
9/26/2006, 11:01 AM
ditto the above for u to.

So, are you ready to go on the expedition?

Certainly not.

Well, what about you.

Oh, yes indeed.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 11:35 AM
Blasphemer!! ;)

Here (free of charge and worth every penny) is my post from another thread on the SO:

I both hate and love New Orleans, so I can see how somebody could think the whole thing was over the top. Even I got tired of all the non-football romanticizing once the game started. And a little Spike Lee goes a long way. But to get the idea of how it really was a BIG THANG for this city, you'd have to imagine.....

that central Oklahoma was devastated by an earthquake and that The Stadium was wrecked. Imagine worse, that the Sooners had to play our home games for a year in <gasp> Stoolwater. Wouldn't you think it was worth a more than a little celebration when we finally got to return to Norman and play on the hallowed sod of Owen Field? Just sayin.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 11:57 AM
Just to play the cynic for a bit:
I'll never forget the disgrace some NOLAns heaped on the city and how some - SOME- still do by constantly looking for sympathy and more gubment assistance. But there is NO WAY to compare the destruction of a couple of buildings - even titanic ones - with the devastation of 80% of a city. NO ****ing WAY.
And as for the moral superiority of Okies and Yankees, even that has a limit. First, it ignores the thousands of New Orleans people who are doing exactly what any decent Okie or Yankee would do - Taking all the help they can get and doing the best they can with what they've got. And if the WTC survivors didn't cry about help, it might just be because the victims' families got kajillion bucks a piece and in fairly short order. And I heard more than one Okie wonder why the OKC victims' families didn't get as much as the WTC people by comparison.

Look, I won't go very far to defend New Orleans, many aspects of the culture are indefensible. But some of the self-righteousness and hypocrisy I've seen from those whose only ill effects from Katrina were disrupted TV viewing is just as crappy as the "poor old New Orleans" hype that some of them are griping about.

StoopTroup
9/26/2006, 12:08 PM
Hey TU...

Check this out...

One Woman Crime Spree (http://kotv.com/news/?111620)

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 12:12 PM
Hey TU...

Check this out...

See! New Orleans IS getting better !
because birches like that are now in Tulsa and Houston :)

StoopTroup
9/26/2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks.

We're gonna put her in prison and send the bill to Chocolate City. :D

Bourbon St Sooner
9/26/2006, 01:07 PM

apples and oranges.

Why are you trying SAS? The internet is all about stereotyping and mass characterizing as many people as we can so we feel better about ourselves.

Class.

picasso
9/26/2006, 01:11 PM
please don't put me in that category. I know nothing compares to what hit the gulf coast region.
I also know that not just poor black people were affected.

my beef is with the mushy gushy crap that ESPN and the NFL are spewing.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/26/2006, 01:23 PM
pic, I think you have to understand what it's been like in this city over the past year. There just hasn't been a lot of positive news. Our mayor and governor are crap. There's no leadership. Rebuilding is a neighborhood by neighborhood project and each and there's an upward or downward cycle with each. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where homeowners are returning and putting money into their houses. It started with just a few of us making the decision and it becomes a virtuous cycle. In other neighborhoods, nobody's made that commitment and it creates an inertia.

Yesterday was the start of that virtuous cycle for the city. The atomosphere at the dome was something I've never experienced. People just needed something to celebrate. And that's what was happening.

TexasSooner01
9/26/2006, 01:46 PM
be happy you don't live in Houston.

Thats what I am sayin! And its fixin to get worse cuz their money handouts are being completely shut off in Feb. All I hear from NO people here is how they dont know what they are gonna do w/o the monetary assistance.

I am not saying that they are all like that.....but the majority here in Houston are. And they wonder why NO dosnt want them back. :confused:

ADs_Agent
9/26/2006, 01:51 PM
Hey TU...

Check this out...

she deserves to spend the rest of her meaningless life behind bars.

ADs_Agent
9/26/2006, 01:53 PM
was New Orleans as bad as this woman before the hurricane or has the hurricane turned people into this?

Paperclip
9/26/2006, 02:13 PM
Why are you trying SAS? The internet is all about stereotyping and mass characterizing as many people as we can so we feel better about ourselves.

Class.

If you'll put down the crying towel for a minute and actually read you'll see I was responding to the issue of why people are somewhat tired of the Katrina issue. Nobody ever said it everybody, just a significant number.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 02:13 PM
pic, I think you have to understand what it's been like in this city over the past year. There just hasn't been a lot of positive news. Our mayor and governor are crap. There's no leadership. Rebuilding is a neighborhood by neighborhood project and each and there's an upward or downward cycle with each. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where homeowners are returning and putting money into their houses. It started with just a few of us making the decision and it becomes a virtuous cycle. In other neighborhoods, nobody's made that commitment and it creates an inertia.

Yesterday was the start of that virtuous cycle for the city. The atomosphere at the dome was something I've never experienced. People just needed something to celebrate. And that's what was happening.

In a nutshell !
And the last para explains why yesterday New Orleans was the Best Place in the World to be. Ask me about it again tomorrow, though. :rolleyes: ;)

Ash
9/26/2006, 02:19 PM
Edit: dang it!!!! It happened again, I came to the football board and a SO thread broke out.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 03:29 PM
Edit: dang it!!!! It happened again, I came to the football board and a SO thread broke out.
Yeah, and it wasn't even OU football to begin with <shakes head>

:twinkies:

Bourbon St Sooner
9/26/2006, 03:54 PM
If you'll put down the crying towel for a minute and actually read you'll see I was responding to the issue of why people are somewhat tired of the Katrina issue. Nobody ever said it everybody, just a significant number.

I always have my crying towel with me. It's the only comfort I have. As for the people you are referring to, believe me, nobody here wants them back either. And even though NO has more than its fair share, those people exist in every city. They just don't have Spike Lee or CNN sticking a camera in their ignorant faces.

Partial Qualifier
9/26/2006, 03:54 PM
Hey TU...

Check this out...

http://www.kotv.com/pages/catimages/lambert-serrita.jpg

ADs_Agent
9/26/2006, 04:08 PM
I can definately see where they mistook her for a young boy

Ash
9/26/2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, and it wasn't even OU football to begin with <shakes head>

:twinkies:

I blame Bai Week. That neo-classical-liberal-conversative-homophobic-fairy-hillbilly-elitist-good ol' boy-fascist-radical-moderate really gets under people's skin. I'm so riled up, I can't even think of anything clever to post. Is it October yet?

101sooner
9/26/2006, 06:04 PM
Well, FEMA has proved to be very good at renovating professional football stadiums.

Ash
9/26/2006, 07:06 PM
Well, FEMA has proved to be very good at renovating professional football stadiums.

heh

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2006, 07:14 PM
At the end of the game there was a sound byte played of someone(sounded like kornyheiser) saying "this game was important to the people of NO. and if its important to them, it should be important to all of us."

Horsecrap. It wasnt important to me. 8 games into the season, when the half that crowd quits going to the games, and they are withering in mediocrity all over again, tell me how important it was. I do not have a civil duty to cheer for the Saints.

I dont care at all about the Saints one way or the other, but dont try and make me feel I should back them up......I now step off of soapbox.

sanantoniosooner
9/26/2006, 07:24 PM
thank God you got that off your chest.

For a while I thought there might be a little compassion around here.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2006, 07:32 PM
This has nothing to do with compassion with what happened in that state.

I never would have went down there to volunteer if I didnt have compassion for what when on there..I spent 2 weeks in the area bro and saw enough to write several books and fill enough hours of thoughts to not sleep.

I just dont feel responsible to cheer the Saints on..as heartless as that is

sanantoniosooner
9/26/2006, 07:36 PM
yeah........the first game back home is a lot to ask.

BTW.......I wasn't rooting for NO. To me it was more about feeling good that something was back to normal than who actually won the game.

I didn't even have to sign a contract to be a Saint fan.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2006, 07:42 PM
yeah........the first game back home is a lot to ask.

BTW.......I wasn't rooting for NO. To me it was more about feeling good that something was back to normal than who actually won the game.

I didn't even have to sign a contract to be a Saint fan.

Ok....I see your point..and I agree with what you are saying about things returning to normal..And it was good to see a game played there..So I think we are on the same page here..Reading the last few pages of posts, I see what you are arguing and I am not arguing against you..

My point was about how they tried to make you feel that if you were not cheering for the Saints, you were a honorary Taliban member

Readyfor8
9/26/2006, 07:46 PM
Ok....I see your point..and I agree with what you are saying about things returning to normal..And it was good to see a game played there..So I think we are on the same page here..

My point was about how they tried to make you feel that if you were not cheering for the Saints, you were a honorary Taliban member

Trust me it takes alot more than that to be an honorary Taliban member, believe me I know.