PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's NOLA Special

Sooner_Bob
9/25/2006, 08:03 PM
I was watchin' the discussion about Reggie Bush's activities before he signed with the Saints and all I can say is wow. He did some great things.

Also, while they were doing the show I saw one of the school officials I met while down doing the school inspections. It was kinda cool. She was the dark headed lady who talked about needing $100K to open the school and how Reggie contributed about half of that amount the day before she needed it. Needless to say I thought it was pretty cool to see her on TV. She's got one of those unforgettabl southern lady voices.

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 08:04 PM
could you paraphrase some of what WOWed you?

I missed the beginning.

the_ouskull
9/25/2006, 08:24 PM
$100K. He should just be able to sell the house that his family was livin' in, then, no? I know that tonight is all about New Orleans, and I hope that he has a long, and great career there...

...but it's ALWAYS about OU and f that guy.

the_ouskull

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2006, 08:25 PM
you're right.

They should have done a story about AD instead of Bush.

Sooner_Bob
9/25/2006, 09:10 PM
could you paraphrase some of what WOWed you?

I missed the beginning.

I guess the reason I think I was wowed is because I drove by the Superdome everyday for two weeks and remember seeing how bad it was around it and to see it now is well, wow.

You could feel the electricity through the tv.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/25/2006, 09:57 PM
I was going nuts when the Saints blocked that punt following the opening series, and I was going nuts when Carney hit that long field goal to end the first half.
The Saints aren't my No. 1 NFL team (the Cowboys are), but I've always pulled for them to do well. I lived in Louisiana for a time and was exposed to how rabid the people are down there for the Saints so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them. In fact, I'm pulling harder for them this year because of the Cowboy connection (Payton the head coach and former Cowboys like Fujita) in addition to returning to New Orleans. So, for at least 15 games this year I'm a rabid Saints fan.

the_ouskull
9/25/2006, 11:03 PM
I'm a Rachel Nichols fan. Thank you and God Bless your avatar.

the_ouskull

AllAboutThe'O'
9/25/2006, 11:06 PM
I'm a Rachel Nichols fan. Thank you and God Bless your avatar.

the_ouskull
And she was in New Orleans tonight reporting. Could this night get any better?:D

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 11:40 PM
Guess the Saints lived up to the hype.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 10:52 AM
Guess the Saints lived up to the hype.

I'm surprised the cynics and Commies have not been screaming that the NFL fix was in, just to make good TV.
Who paid Crumpler to drop that TD?
Didn't soembody deliberately let Gleason in to block that punt?
Shouldn't there have been a pass interference call aganst the Saints somewhere?
Will the Falcons get repaid with some questionable officiating for them later in the season?

:eek:

;)

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 11:00 AM
MEH.

I watched all the hype last night, and quite honestly was pretty much disgusted with it all. The whole U2/Green Day thing was crap, the whole attempt at super bowl like hype was crap, and every time they panned a camera around at the crowd the drunken-assed people started pointing to themselves - even during the anthem. The whole interview with Nagin was crap, the whole "New Orleans is a great city" was crap, it was ALL crap.

Except the game. I was impressed with the Saints. And like I've said a thousand times before, Michael Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 11:31 AM
MEH.

I watched all the hype last night, and quite honestly was pretty much disgusted with it all. The whole U2/Green Day thing was crap, the whole attempt at super bowl like hype was crap, and every time they panned a camera around at the crowd the drunken-assed people started pointing to themselves - even during the anthem. The whole interview with Nagin was crap, the whole "New Orleans is a great city" was crap, it was ALL crap.

Except the game. I was impressed with the Saints. And like I've said a thousand times before, Michael Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL.
I both hate and love New Orleans, so I can see how somebody could think the whole thing was over the top. Even I got tired of all the non-football romanticizing once the game started. And a little Spike Lee goes a long way. But to get the idea of how it really was a BIG THANG for this city, you'd have to imagine.....

that central Oklahoma was devastated by an earthquake and that The Stadium was wrecked. Imagine worse, that the Sooners had to play our home games for a year in <gasp> Stoolwater. Wouldn't you think it was worth a more than a little celebration when we finally got to return to Norman and play on the hallowed sod of Owen Field? Just sayin.

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 12:35 PM
I both hate and love New Orleans, so I can see how somebody could think the whole thing was over the top. Even I got tired of all the non-football romanticizing once the game started. And a little Spike Lee goes a long way. But to get the idea of how it really was a BIG THANG for this city, you'd have to imagine.....

that central Oklahoma was devastated by an earthquake and that The Stadium was wrecked. Imagine worse, that the Sooners had to play our home games for a year in <gasp> Stoolwater. Wouldn't you think it was worth a more than a little celebration when we finally got to return to Norman and play on the hallowed sod of Owen Field? Just sayin.

I feels your pain......but you simply cannot compare anything about NO to anything about Oklahoma.

There were more thugs transplanted to OKC from NO after Katrina than there are thugs in the whole state of Oklahoma. NO took such a giant **** on Houston (which frankly, can't afford to be shat on any more than it already is) that it's unholy. The blaming of Bush, the sense of entitlement, the unwillingness to pick themselves up by their OWN bootstraps pretty much describes the NO mindset as a whole.

I just wonder how many muggings/rapes/assaults/drug deals/larcenies/and murders were happening last night with a 2 mile radius of the Superdome? I wonder just how many millions of $$ were crammed in Nagin and his cronies pockets from that party?

I'm sorry amigo, but **** NO. In the pooper. With a giant dick.

LSUMeathead
9/26/2006, 03:31 PM
Hey C&C, go **** yourself in the pooper with a giant dick. Until you drag your *** down to the city of New Orleans & see what is going on with your own two eyes, you, and everyone else, has no room to judge.

There are thousands of people in New Orleans who have rebuilt without complaining or looking for a handout. There are hundreds of businesses who have come in & reopened offering jobs to those who have none. There are massive groups of people who thank the government for all they have done, but pointed out the hypocrisy in the bureaucracy.

What you see in New Orleans is what you see on the news. Replayed images of the small percentage who chose to stay behind. Those faces happen to be poor and/or black. The demographic left behind was the demographic who wants a handout. The same group who is constantly interviewed is not the middle class white family who rebuilt their house on their own like my parents or my sister & her husband or my aunt or my grandmother or my countless childhood friends who all still live down there. No, what you see are the people who are too lazy to get their lips off the government teet long enough to do something for themselves. What you see are the areas where people wait for someone to come gut their house for them and then rebuild it for them. What you see is the demographic that the hard working citizens of New Orleans have deplored for decades.

Granted, the worst of the worst were sent out across the nation. Many ended up in Houston. Many ended up in Atlanta. Many ended up in Oregon, South Dakota, and Maine. Some may have even found their way to Oklahoma. And if they have caused you and yours great consternation, I apologize. But what you are experiencing is nothing exclusive to New Orleans. There are thugs, pimps, drug dealers, gangsters, murderers, rapists, robbers, etc in every single major city in the world. So to say that there is Katrina or New Orleans related crime in one area smacks of ignorance that there was likely a good bit of crime before a single one arrived.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I have no doubt that you will change your opinion on this matter. But before you judge & condemn a city that was dammed to begin with, try to get the whole story.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 03:36 PM
I feels your pain......but you simply cannot compare anything about NO to anything about Oklahoma.

There were more thugs transplanted to OKC from NO after Katrina than there are thugs in the whole state of Oklahoma. NO took such a giant **** on Houston (which frankly, can't afford to be shat on any more than it already is) that it's unholy. The blaming of Bush, the sense of entitlement, the unwillingness to pick themselves up by their OWN bootstraps pretty much describes the NO mindset as a whole.
I just wonder how many muggings/rapes/assaults/drug deals/larcenies/and murders were happening last night with a 2 mile radius of the Superdome? I wonder just how many millions of $$ were crammed in Nagin and his cronies pockets from that party?

I'm sorry amigo, but **** NO. In the pooper. With a giant dick.

So you won't be down for the Sugar Bowl?

Mjcpr
9/26/2006, 03:37 PM
Hey C&C, go **** yourself in the pooper with a giant dick. Until you drag your *** down to the city of New Orleans & see what is going on with your own two eyes, you, and everyone else, has no room to judge.

:pop:

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 03:41 PM
Oh. So let's see meathead, you tell me to go **** myself, then you pretty much describe exactly what I said.

The city of NO is full of so much filth, crime, scum etc. that just having a small percentage of your people transplant to other cities increases their crime rates many percentage points.

My disgust with NO is not directed at the people who have stayed and rebuilt. My disgust is with those that have ****ed up a hundred other cities, and who also are migrating back to NO cause they see yet another opportunity to steal. My disgust is with those that have blamed President Bush for all the problems. My disgust is with those that have ****ed over the taxpayers. My disgust is with those that have used something like Katrina to profit.

I've been to NO many, many times - always on business. I have not been back since Katrina, and seriously hope I never have to. I know you love it, and that's all good, but I think it's a cesspool and a shining example of the very worst America has to offer.

Hell man, if I was one of those islamoterror dudes and all I ever saw of America was NO, I'd scream "THE GREAT SATAN" and wanna blow the place to hell too.

I'd suggest you not be so touchy about your beloved city. Be proud of those that are decent there, but try and understand why others don't like the place.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 03:42 PM
***There are thousands of people in New Orleans who have rebuilt without complaining or looking for a handout. There are hundreds of businesses who have come in & reopened offering jobs to those who have none. There are massive groups of people who thank the government for all they have done, but pointed out the hypocrisy in the bureaucracy.

[New Orleans is more than] what you see on the news... The same group who is constantly interviewed is not the middle class white family who rebuilt their house on their own like my parents or my sister & her husband or my aunt or my grandmother or my countless childhood friends who all still live down there. No, what you see are the people who are too lazy to get their lips off the government teet long enough to do something for themselves. What you see are the areas where people wait for someone to come gut their house for them and then rebuild it for them. What you see is the demographic that the hard working citizens of New Orleans have deplored for decades....

Yes. At least don't lump us all in with the no-good sh!ts.

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 03:46 PM
And my disgust was amped up a thousand notches after watching the sickening spectacle of that whole pre-game dung heap. Nagin? Spike Lee? ESPN talking heads? U2? Green Day? MEH. I was embarrassed for NO watching that. Just another group of scumbag profiteers raping NO.

The only decent thing about it was the anthem by the locals, and some of the local brass joining the POS music "spectacle."

LSUMeathead
9/26/2006, 03:50 PM
Oh. So let's see meathead, you tell me to go **** myself, then you pretty much describe exactly what I said.

The city of NO is full of so much filth, crime, scum etc. that just having a small percentage of your people transplant to other cities increases their crime rates many percentage points.

My disgust with NO is not directed at the people who have stayed and rebuilt. My disgust is with those that have ****ed up a hundred other cities, and who also are migrating back to NO cause they see yet another opportunity to steal. My disgust is with those that have blamed President Bush for all the problems. My disgust is with those that have ****ed over the taxpayers. My disgust is with those that have used something like Katrina to profit.

What you are referring to is a minority. A very vocal minority. The kind of minority that the news just eats up like a kindergartner with a cup of pudding. And you are using that same minority to judge an entire city. You condemn the city based on the actions of the few instead of recognizing that the city is not what's wrong, it is the ignorance of that vocal minority & those willing to take their side. That is what makes me sick about all of this. I hate that Kanye West & Spike Lee have become the spokespeople for New Orleans. I hate that Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton have made it their mission to insure that the city stays the way it was. And I LOATHE the fact that people who no longer live in New Orleans were able to come back & re-elect an ineffective bat-scat crazy mayor. Why do I loathe it? Because that is NOT what New Orleans is about & that is NOT what people should be seeing on the news.

Additionally, I readily admit that the scum of the city has crapped on the American landscape, but to say that the places they landed were bastions of safety & security beforehand is plain ignorance.

LSUMeathead
9/26/2006, 03:52 PM
And my disgust was amped up a thousand notches after watching the sickening spectacle of that whole pre-game dung heap. Nagin? Spike Lee? ESPN talking heads? U2? Green Day? MEH. I was embarrassed for NO watching that. Just another group of scumbag profiteers raping NO.

The only decent thing about it was the anthem by the locals, and some of the local brass joining the POS music "spectacle."

Funny, I posted my reply above before reading this. I agree 1000% with you. While I am greatful for all that people have done for the city, why the hell can't we find a single big local band, or one with roots in the city, to come do the show. Why the hell do we need a bunch of Irish singers & rockers to come tell us how we need to run things in America?

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 03:58 PM
What you are referring to is a minority. A very vocal minority. The kind of minority that the news just eats up like a kindergartner with a cup of pudding. And you are using that same minority to judge an entire city. You condemn the city based on the actions of the few instead of recognizing that the city is not what's wrong, it is the ignorance of that vocal minority & those willing to take their side. That is what makes me sick about all of this. I hate that Kanye West & Spike Lee have become the spokespeople for New Orleans. I hate that Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton have made it their mission to insure that the city stays the way it was. And I LOATHE the fact that people who no longer live in New Orleans were able to come back & re-elect an ineffective bat-scat crazy mayor. Why do I loathe it? Because that is NOT what New Orleans is about & that is NOT what people should be seeing on the news.

Additionally, I readily admit that the scum of the city has crapped on the American landscape, but to say that the places they landed were bastions of safety & security beforehand is plain ignorance.

Dude, you obviously didn't read what I wrote then.

Your "minority" voted Nagin back in. And I also admitted that places like Houston "could hardly afford to be shat on any more."

To me, being a conservative, the whole debacle of the aftermath of Katrina just doesn't sit well. I'd probably be a lot less hostile towards the place if I didn't have to listen to your politicians/locals vilify the federal government. I'd feel a lot better about it if I hadn't seen the scumballs who came up to OKC.

And I'd damn sure feel better about the place if I hadn't spent as much time as I have down there. Yes, I've had fun in NO. But it's the kind of fun that while you're having it you're going "dang, I'm gonna burn in hell for even being in this place - WTF is that smell? - that ain't really two dudes fisting each other is it? - did that skank actually just offer to suck my dick for $10? - is that really cocaine that chick is fingernailing outta the corner of a baggy and sticking up passersbys' noses?"

It's your place, and I don't blame you for getting ****ed about others dogging it, but dammit man, the place deserves it as a whole.

Petro-Sooner
9/26/2006, 03:58 PM
How in the world did Nagin get re-elected?? That blows me away. If the "majority" there are those that rebuilt themselves and didnt ask for a hand out you would think they would be smart enough not to re-elect that tool.

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 03:59 PM
And God bless you for staying/rebuilding. You're a better man than I.

C&CDean
9/26/2006, 04:01 PM
Funny, I posted my reply above before reading this. I agree 1000% with you. While I am greatful for all that people have done for the city, why the hell can't we find a single big local band, or one with roots in the city, to come do the show. Why the hell do we need a bunch of Irish singers & rockers to come tell us how we need to run things in America?

Where the hell was Aaron Neville? Harry Connick? The Marsalis bros?

Bourbon St Sooner
9/26/2006, 04:42 PM
Last night was unbelievable. Atlanta didn't stand a chance. That place was electric. It was like nothing I've ever experienced. I was part of the crowd on the field when Green Day/U2 were playing and that crowd was just rocking. You couldn't hear a damn thing those guys played.

Sooner_Bob
9/26/2006, 05:21 PM
I never dreamed my little innocent thread could take such a turn.

StoopTroup
9/26/2006, 07:04 PM
U2 was the halftime act for Super Bowl XXXVI.

I was moved by their performance. Lots of Boston NE Patriot Fans sitting with me as they put the names of the lost passengers of 9/11 on the wall to honor them.

U2 has been apart of the Super Dome more than once.

It's vital to get Convention Business and other big money draws back into the NO area IMO.

Now...Spike Lee?

I have no idea what he's done for NO so it's hard for me to say why the heck he was there.

It's just good to see the Dome open for events again. I thought I might never see another Sugar Bowl or Super Bowl etc.... in there.

Scott D
9/27/2006, 09:47 AM
mm'hmm and where was Sir Bono when Katrina happened? hmmmm?

[mos def]It’s dollar day in New Orleans,
It’s where water everywhere and babies dead in the stree (ee eets),
It’s enough to make you holler out,
Like where the **** is Sir Bono and his famous friends now,
Don’t get it twisted man I dig U2,
But if you aint about the ghetto, Then **** You Too,
Who care bout Rock N’ Roll when babies can’t eat food,
Listen homie that **** ain’t cool,[/mos def]

U2 are nothing more than opportunists.

and meathead....clearly the chain of idiots before Nagin got things done there as well eh?

TUSooner
9/27/2006, 10:12 AM
mm'hmm and where was Sir Bono when Katrina happened? hmmmm?

[mos def]It’s dollar day in New Orleans,
It’s where water everywhere and babies dead in the stree (ee eets),
It’s enough to make you holler out,
Like where the **** is Sir Bono and his famous friends now,
Don’t get it twisted man I dig U2,
But if you aint about the ghetto, Then **** You Too,
Who care bout Rock N’ Roll when babies can’t eat food,
Listen homie that **** ain’t cool,[/mos def]

U2 are nothing more than opportunists.

and meathead....clearly the chain of idiots before Nagin got things done there as well eh?

What a bunch of self-righteous CRAP.
So now it's Bono's fault ?! :eek: U2 did something wrong by coming to play here??
Well, thank God for Mos F*ckin' Def -- I must have blinked when he was saving our city just by being "about the ghetto" !!! :rolleyes:

buhhhhhh!!!!!!!11 :mad:

EDIT - Whew. I think I feel better now. ;)

Scott D
9/27/2006, 10:15 AM
What a bunch of self-righteous CRAP.
So now it's Bono's fault ?! :eek: U2 did something wrong by coming to play here??
Well, thank God for Mos F*ckin' Def -- I must have blinked when he was saving our city just by being "about the ghetto" !!! :rolleyes:

buhhhhhh!!!!!!!11 :mad:

Nah, ESPN did something wrong by having Green Day there, but that's another subject.

Point was more about Bono being superhumanitarian being invisible during the entire ordeal.

Hey, being married has made Mos a very very angry man for some reason ;)

Bourbon St Sooner
9/27/2006, 11:23 AM
There's been a lot of opportunists. Where was Spike Lee 'when the levees broke'? I didn't see him driving a bus down to the Convention Center to pick anybody up. But he's damn good about telling the American people that they need to pony up more because they owe these people something. Go away carpetbagger!

Sooner_Bob
9/27/2006, 01:37 PM
But he's damn good about telling the American people that they need to pony up more because they owe these people something. Go away carpetbagger!

What exactly does he think the people are owed?

Opportunity? Cash?

How much of any revenue generated by his film will he send to NOLA? (Seriously, I haven't heard)

StoopTroup
9/27/2006, 02:02 PM
Why is everyone so Edgy?

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/02/02/edge-u2.jpg

TUSooner
9/27/2006, 02:20 PM
....Point was more about Bono being superhumanitarian being invisible during the entire ordeal....

He may have been lecturing some bishops about AIDS in Africa. Coulda been!

C&CDean
9/27/2006, 02:29 PM
The Edge. Sting. Slash. Cher. Madonna. Sade. Prince. Fiddy. P-Diddy. About a gazillion other rappers. Meh.

Scott D
9/27/2006, 03:08 PM
There's been a lot of opportunists. Where was Spike Lee 'when the levees broke'? I didn't see him driving a bus down to the Convention Center to pick anybody up. But he's damn good about telling the American people that they need to pony up more because they owe these people something. Go away carpetbagger!

personally I would have renamed New Orleans to Carpetbagger City back in 1865...but that's just me.