PDA

View Full Version : Rice player dies

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 03:59 PM
Sept. 25, 2006, 3:26PM

Rice player dies day after collapsing
By KRISTIE RIEKEN AP Sports Writer
© 2006 The Associated Press

HOUSTON — A Rice University freshman football player died Monday, a day after collapsing during a light workout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dale Lloyd, a 19-year-old defensive back, collapsed on the field about 5 p.m. Sunday but was conscious when taken to a hospital by ambulance. He died about 9 a.m. Monday, school officials said.

"I just can't describe the pain we're feeling right now and the shock," Rice athletic director Chris Del Conte said. "It will take a long time to digest. The coaches are crushed. This is a tough time for all of us."

Del Conte said Lloyd collapsed while the team was doing some light running. Although he didn't complain of anything specific, he told team trainers he didn't feel right.

"No one knows what happened," Del Conte said. "It's a mystery."

An autopsy was pending.

Coaches met with the team Monday afternoon to talk about Lloyd's death.

"He was a tremendous student who happened to play football," Del Conte said, fighting back tears. "His smile just lit up the room."

Lloyd played in Rice's season opener against Houston but didn't play the last three games. The team planned to redshirt him.

Rice is scheduled to travel to face Army on Saturday. Del Conte said he hasn't made a decision on the status of that game.

"The Rice Owl family has suffered a devastating loss," Rice coach Todd Graham said in a statement. "Dale was a tremendous person with the heart of a champion."

Lloyd played football and baseball at Houston's Lamar High School, was selected to the Who's Who Among American High School Students and volunteered with the Mayor's Youth Council.

He is survived by his parents, Dale and Abitibi Lloyd, and two brothers.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/25/2006, 04:12 PM
That's terrible. Prayers to his family.

mrowl
9/25/2006, 04:13 PM
sucks.

(and unfortunately I expect a performance enhancing drug to be involved)

BigRedJed
9/25/2006, 04:14 PM
Damn.

NormanPride
9/25/2006, 04:32 PM
This happens more and more. There was a kid at Arizona a couple years back, I think. Sometimes these kids have almost undetectable heart problems that cause this stuff. I hope the NCAA can step in and improve health testing required for competitive sports.

magic33216
9/25/2006, 04:52 PM
Damn, that sucks, I hate to see his life end in his prime.:(

Boomer.....
9/25/2006, 04:52 PM
Very sad.

Hornsarelosers
9/25/2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, very sad. Condolences to his family and the Rice community.

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 05:49 PM
Awful.

That kind of stuff is so freaky.

Fine one moment and then bang....gone.

Condolences to his Family.

proudsoonergal
9/25/2006, 05:53 PM
That is horrible. I feel awful for his family.

On a side note, and not to take away from the tragedy of his death, but did you notice the part in the article that said "Lloyd played in Rice's season opener against Houston but didn't play the last three games. The team planned to redshirt him." I don't know all the rules, but are you allowed to redshirt someone after they've played that year? Was the coach talking about a medical redshirt?

boomersoonerdude
9/25/2006, 07:39 PM
This is sad..... prayers are with his family..... hopefully this is non drug related

GoOwls
9/25/2006, 08:23 PM
This is truly a sad day on the Rice campus. Being such a small, close-knit school, this really hits hard. Many kids have lost their sense of innocence, their feeling of invincibility. The fragility of life is a lesson hard learned.

Please keep the Lloyd familiy and the Rice community in your thoughts and prayers.

RIP Dale Lloyd.

OUfan7
9/25/2006, 09:32 PM
Boy, you just never know. Such a sad story.

goingoneight
9/25/2006, 10:37 PM
I am always sad to hear of such events... That being said... best wishes and prayers for his family and friends.

On a side note... I think Rice has a more ballsy Non Conference schedule than anyone in the BIG 12 right now...