PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Charles

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 03:54 PM
Does anybody else yawn when thinking about the talent of the stud running back for the horns? He's like Cedric Benson without the Ricky Williams wannabe mentality. Congrats on breaking 100 vs. Rice. The other three games?

North Texas - 14 carries, 77 yards - 5.5 per carry
Ohio State - 16 carries, 76 yards - 4.4 per carry
Iowa State - 17 carries, 91 yards - 4.6 per carry

He's "nice"...kinda like a compliment you pay to someone who doesn't really do anything for you, but can't be that bad. Yes, I know Texas has running back by committee, but this is their workhorse this year. Selvin Young scares me MUCH more than Charles, and he might be banged up. I just can't see Charles having a huge game against anybody, especially not a steadily improving OU defense.

We'll rehash it over and over in these next two weeks that will seem like an eternity, but I just think the lack of VY will really show itself to be true in Dallas. And if Charles is the man to take on some of that load, fine by me. He scares me not! Not as good as Oregon's running back and doesn't have a proven winner taking snaps and throwing the ball, either.

OUMallen
9/25/2006, 04:01 PM
I dunno, I think he's pretty amazing. He makes me more nervous than SY, but now that I think about it, I javen't watched a lot of Texas football thsi year...

Paperclip
9/25/2006, 04:04 PM
He looked ok running to the end zone last year without a Sooner within 20 yards of him.

Partial Qualifier
9/25/2006, 04:05 PM
as long as we cover gaps like we did this week, Charles is a non-issue in the big picture of this year's RRS

okienole3
9/25/2006, 04:09 PM
..is going to get his ****ing titties lit

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:09 PM
He looked ok running to the end zone last year without a Sooner within 20 yards of him.

I know, I know...I was waiting for a Texas fan to mention that, but he was hit at the line of scrimmage by Latimer. Sure, if we tackle like we don't have arms then it doesn't matter who they run...we'll get beat. I am going on the assumption we will continue to get better each week and Stoops teams have a history of somewhat peaking in the Texas game. No, that is not always a good thing, but we have played well in this game under Stoops except for last year. If Charles doesn't get to 100 yards on his own then Texas will have a hard time getting to 200 yards as a team. If that doesn't happen, McCoy is going to have to make some plays that, frankly, I don't see him making.

AustinTXHorn
9/25/2006, 04:11 PM
That's a pretty small sample size you've got there. This is a guy who averaged 7.4 YPC as a freshman in the Big 12. He'll be fine and so will Selvin Young in two weeks.

Adrian Peterson has only averaged over 5.8 YPC in one game this year. I'd call him more than a "nice" back.

Charles had a pretty big game against OU last year.

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2006, 04:13 PM
He's "nice"...kinda like a compliment you pay to someone who doesn't really do anything for you, but can't be that bad. Yes, I know Texas has running back by committee, but this is their workhorse this year. Selvin Young scares me MUCH more than Charles, and he might be banged up. I just can't see Charles having a huge game against anybody, especially not a steadily improving OU defense.

Steadily improving defense? If you mean you went statistically from 97th to 60th because you played the fifth best team from the State of Tennessee, then I guess you can say you're "steadily improving."

Or.. do you mean the "steadily improving" defense that held Oregon to a mere 14 points on their last two drives of the game?

Don't read too much from MDTSUatPopcornTownship.

AustinTXHorn
9/25/2006, 04:13 PM
If Charles doesn't get to 100 yards on his own then Texas will have a hard time getting to 200 yards as a team.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement considering that Texas has rushed for 907 yards this year and Charles only has 334 (37%) of that.

OnlyOneOklahoma
9/25/2006, 04:15 PM
meh charles is weak right now and if we fill gaps and cover the ends he will remain very weak. i personally look forward to seeing McCoy get lit up by Ruu or Latimer :)

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:18 PM
That's a pretty small sample size you've got there. This is a guy who averaged 7.4 YPC as a freshman in the Big 12. He'll be fine and so will Selvin Young in two weeks.

Adrian Peterson has only averaged over 5.8 YPC in one game this year. I'd call him more than a "nice" back.

Charles had a pretty big game against OU last year.

Charles was all world last year.

So was your offensive line.

Hell, even that weak *** receiving corps you had was well thought of last year.

That's cause everyone was worried about Vince. He's now fetching Kerry Collins ballcap.

We have a guy like that. His name is Peterson. Everyone worries about him. And that's why Paul Thompson and Malcolm Kelley have better numbers than the quarterback and wide receiver for the number one ranked team in the country. Oh, and Adrian still delivers, as his 2nd most yards rushing in the nation would prove.

I am one of those OU fans that thought Texas was all VY last year and the rest of the team benefitted from his proven greatness on the field. Well, last year, at least. Without that threat and with a guy who shaves about twice a month taking snaps let's see how good Jamaal does against OU this year.

Herr Scholz
9/25/2006, 04:21 PM
Jamaal and Selvin are both averaging 6.1 YPC. Big Henry Melton averages 5.9 YPC. Chris Ogbonnaya is a very good backup as well. We've got several guys to tote the rock. The strength of our running game (8th in the nation at 227 ypg) is our stout OL.

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:22 PM
That's a pretty ridiculous statement considering that Texas has rushed for 907 yards this year and Charles only has 334 (37%) of that.

This isn't Rice, North Texas or Iowa State, Wonderlicker. Your fourth and fifth backs won't be playing in this one. But nice try on overusing stats.

This is the least star-studded team Texas has had in YEARS! Even down years you had more big-time players. You might be a solid team, but it is made up without big names.

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:23 PM
The strength of our running game (8th in the nation at 227 ypg) is our stout OL.

That, in the end, is what we will TRULY learn about Texas in this game. Is the line that good or did VY make them look that good? Based on the results of the game I will have my opinion.

AustinTXHorn
9/25/2006, 04:25 PM
And that's why Paul Thompson and Malcolm Kelley have better numbers than the quarterback and wide receiver for the number one ranked team in the country. Oh, and Adrian still delivers, as his 2nd most yards rushing in the nation would prove.
Funny you should mention that. Colt McCoy (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org) also has a better passer rating than Troy Smith. Limas Sweed (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playerrec_ttlyards&site=org) also has more receiving yards than Ted Ginn. All while having the eighth ranked rushing offense in the country. I guess that just goes to show how worthless early season statistics are. Give it a full season to let them even out.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/25/2006, 04:25 PM
The dude is quick for sure. Heres to hoping he and all of the UT running backs have a falling out with the UT O-line

AustinTXHorn
9/25/2006, 04:26 PM
This isn't Rice, North Texas or Iowa State, Wonderlicker. Your fourth and fifth backs won't be playing in this one. But nice try on overusing stats.
We had 172 rushing yards while averaging 5.5 YPC as a team on Ohio State. You're right, it's not those three.

NormanPride
9/25/2006, 04:28 PM
Charles dances too much in the backfield, but is amazing in open space. He reminds me a lot of Works in that respect, except shiftier and smaller.

Herr Scholz
9/25/2006, 04:29 PM
That, in the end, is what we will TRULY learn about Texas in this game. Is the line that good or did VY make them look that good? Based on the results of the game I will have my opinion.
That's a very valid question. We shall see. However, I have obvious questions of my own about the OU defense.

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:29 PM
We had 172 rushing yards while averaging 5.5 YPC as a team on Ohio State. You're right, it's not those three.

Tell you what. I'll take 172 rushing yards for Texas right now against OU. That's 50 under your per game average this season and helped lead to a solid 7 points for you guys...a mere 33 fewer than you had scored in your worst offensive showing in your previous 12 games.

200 yards rushing is going to be your magic number...especially if we don't turn the ball over. Don't get there and expect to be 3-2 real fast.

SoonerDood
9/25/2006, 04:31 PM
Funny you should mention that. Colt McCoy (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org) also has a better passer rating than Troy Smith. Limas Sweed (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playerrec_ttlyards&site=org) also has more receiving yards than Ted Ginn. All while having the eighth ranked rushing offense in the country. I guess that just goes to show how worthless early season statistics are. Give it a full season to let them even out.
so do Paul Thompson and Malcolm Kelly.

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:31 PM
That's a very valid question. We shall see. However, I have obvious questions of my own about the OU defense.

Yes, but we have two weeks to focus on all of that, right? Hell, both teams have lots of questions, in my opinion. I think one team gets good answers in two weeks and the other team can start making plans for San Diego.

AustinTXHorn
9/25/2006, 04:32 PM
Tell you what. I'll take 172 rushing yards for Texas right now against OU. That's 50 under your per game average this season and helped lead to a solid 7 points for you guys...a mere 33 fewer than you had scored in your worst offensive showing in your previous 12 games.

200 yards rushing is going to be your magic number...especially if we don't turn the ball over. Don't get there and expect to be 3-2 real fast.
Ohio State's defense has also been a lot better than Oklahoma's this season and there's no disputing that.

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 04:32 PM
so do Paul Thompson and Malcolm Kelly.

Will the circle be unbroken by and by, Lord, by and by...

Octavian
9/25/2006, 04:51 PM
Texas' backfield has some huge question marks but IMO Charles isn't one of 'em (they really miss the playmaking abilities of Ramonce Taylor - think he could've been valuable against tOSU?).

The AD-Charles comparisons from Texas are a lot like the Vince-Reggie McNeal comparisons from Aggy....wishful thinking at best.

But he is good...and very capable of gashing our front 7 and popping big plays.

We've got to consistently put Texas in 3rd-and-greater-than-6 situations and make Davis and McCoy beat us.

caphorns
9/25/2006, 04:51 PM
I happen to agree with you guys on JC at this point. He's a good back and very potent in open field. He's amazingly quick and elusive but not particularly powerful. He has good, but not great vision. He also isn't great at picking up the blitz as a blocker. He has had several runs this year that were simply amazing - until he juked himself right into the defender.

JC has alot to prove before I'd put him as one of the tops in the game. He's no Reggie Bush. He needs to learn to run with power and not relying on his speed and elusiveness all of the time. He has the skills and I certainly think his time running track in the offseason takes away from football preparation.

Now, the combination of SY, JC and our offensive line is what makes Texas' running game the No. 8 in the country. That's what you face in 2 weeks, not just JC.

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2006, 04:54 PM
Ohio State's defense has also been a lot better than Oklahoma's this season and there's no disputing that.

So have 58 other teams as well. :D

TheGodfather889
9/25/2006, 05:03 PM
From seeing Jamaal Charles play, he's alot better than Cedric Benson. He's not as big, but he's faster, he's very strong, good vision and cut-back ability. He's a big threat for us.

magic33216
9/25/2006, 05:05 PM
JC is a good back and we will have to use our allstar (unproven) D-Line to shut him down. See ya'll October 7th, we'll be ready.:D

Oh and what is up with all the late hits and taunting your players did to Iowa State?

OUster
9/25/2006, 05:08 PM
I happen to agree with you guys on JC at this point. He's a good back and very potent in open field. He's amazingly quick and elusive but not particularly powerful. He has good, but not great vision. He also isn't great at picking up the blitz as a blocker. He has had several runs this year that were simply amazing - until he juked himself right into the defender.

JC has alot to prove before I'd put him as one of the tops in the game. He's no Reggie Bush. He needs to learn to run with power and not relying on his speed and elusiveness all of the time. He has the skills and I certainly think his time running track in the offseason takes away from football preparation.

Now, the combination of SY, JC and our offensive line is what makes Texas' running game the No. 8 in the country. That's what you face in 2 weeks, not just JC.

WTF!:eek: That was the most sensible post I have ever seen by a Horn. That took big brass ones, my orange clad friend...I mean, dude. JC is a good back, but methinks his YPC is more a product of those viking sized apes that are blocking for him. On the flip side, our d-line matched well with your o-line on paper at the beginning of the season. The test of time shows they have not lived up to hype. Did our d-line destroy the directional school for girls...yes. I for one hope it is a sign of things to come, it sure did look like they were playing with the intensity we hadn't seen this year. But, am I still worried about your orange apes...ok, I am, I will admit it. My hope is that our d-line keeps it up. If they do, I think they shut down your running game, JC and SY included and make McCoy win this thing. I don't think McCoy is capable of that, yet. He is still growing. That's my .02 cents.

caphorns
9/25/2006, 05:09 PM
You guys were much quicker to fill the gaps when Cedric was running. Maybe we'll see the return of the old school OU D in 2 weeks after its long hiatus.

The Maestro
9/25/2006, 05:53 PM
Yes, each play counts, but for the record, some looking back at last year.

While our offense was rolling to about 170 yards of total offense and looking as inept as possible, Texas had 40 carries for 203 yards rushing. In other words, 39 carries for 123 yards. For all but one carry we held you very much in check, which VY exposed with a couple of big passing plays. I will admit you didn't have to do anything other than plain vanilla in the second half, but other than Zack Latimer wrapping up what should have been an easy tackle on Charles, we did a good job. If we can repeat that and not let a no gain go for 80 on us, we stand a good chance.

I'm just loving the two weeks to prepare. This is a big time statement game for Brent Venables and Kevin Wilson as the OU coordinators.

BIG_IKE
9/25/2006, 06:28 PM
Whoah....

I'm not gonna sit here and lie and say I am not concerned about Jamal Charles because I am. I know we have to plug holes because if this guy gets in the open he is gone.

Check this video out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3OOTGoIR4

We shut him down we win in my opinion..and I know he is a Sophomore...but in my opinion he is better than Cedric, Ricky or any of those other bozos when they were sophomores.

tbl
9/25/2006, 06:41 PM
He definitely makes me nervous, especially with the way our guys have been tackling (or lack thereof). He is very capable of breaking a big run with his speed, and IMO he's the worst kind of back for our D to go up against. We didn't ever have a single problem with Cedric Benson b/c he was a power back. Those quick elusive guys pose problems, and he is the X factor in this game. Well, actually the entire saxeT running team is. If we can hold their running game, I like our chances... a LOT.

picasso
9/25/2006, 09:31 PM
he's a stud and he's slippery. I don't think I've ever seen the guy get nailed square. and he's not big at all.

picasso
9/25/2006, 09:33 PM
So have 58 other teams as well. :D
yet we have the same record as you.

stoopified
9/25/2006, 10:03 PM
I guess I am either tired or just getting old but this whhole thread boils down to one thing.We as Sooner fans think ut sucks and our resident Hornfans feel the same about the SOONERS.Hell I thik we are gonna win but that IS why we play the game.It is 10:03 pm and UT still sucks.

magic33216
9/25/2006, 10:22 PM
I guess I am either tired or just getting old but this whhole thread boils down to one thing.We as Sooner fans think ut sucks and our resident Hornfans feel the same about the SOONERS.Hell I thik we are gonna win but that IS why we play the game.It is 10:03 pm and UT still sucks.

^Dude's gotta valid point^

Rhino
9/25/2006, 10:37 PM
I view Jamaal Charles like I viewed Tatum Bell.

Fumbly fingers and injury prone, but give him a hole and some open field and he'll exploit ya.

T_Boner
9/26/2006, 11:46 AM
as long as we cover gaps like we did this week, Charles is a non-issue in the big picture of this year's RRS

Haha, there’s a pretty big difference in those two opponents

47straight
9/26/2006, 12:31 PM
That's a pretty small sample size you've got there. This is a guy who averaged 7.4 YPC as a freshman in the Big 12.

Then why doesn't he START?

Is this the jamaal charles that i hear whorn students claiming is better than AD? so that means that you wouldn't even play AD? or would he beat out melton a.k.a. defensive end?

47straight
9/26/2006, 12:33 PM
The strength of our running game (8th in the nation at 227 ypg) is our stout OL.

This is absolutely true. It's also the strength of Fumbles mcScrambles having a week and a half to throw the ball last year.

OUMallen
9/26/2006, 12:46 PM
Like I said earlier, I think JC is top notch, but that video isn't that impressive. his best three runs were the two against tOSU around the 1 minute mark and maybe the one against us (or there's a mizzou run in there). The rest: sorry to say, our LBs and secondary are just a wee bit faster than ULaLa and Rice.

Luthor
9/26/2006, 12:53 PM
Steadily improving defense? If you mean you went statistically from 97th to 60th because you played the fifth best team from the State of Tennessee, then I guess you can say you're "steadily improving."

Or.. do you mean the "steadily improving" defense that held Oregon to a mere 14 points on their last two drives of the game?

Lid, ease up there dude. You're going to get us all shot and some of us are hanging on by our fingernails already.

KC//CRIMSON
9/26/2006, 12:53 PM
North Texas - 14 carries, 77 yards - 5.5 per carry
Ohio State - 16 carries, 76 yards - 4.4 per carry
Iowa State - 17 carries, 91 yards - 4.6 per carry

Charles only had 78 yards against Iowa State.;)

NormanPride
9/26/2006, 12:55 PM
Lid, ease up there dude. You're going to get us all shot and some of us are hanging on by our fingernails already.

Yeah, there's still another game for you guys. We need to work UP to that kind of smack. Geez... think he'd never done it before...

Vasherized
9/26/2006, 04:26 PM
Wishful thinking if you want to believe Jamaal Charles is an average back. Until he gets 20+ carries a game (next year), his numbers won't be that impressive, but neither would Peterson's ...

Mjcpr
9/26/2006, 04:28 PM
Wishful thinking if you want to believe Jamaal Charles is an average back. Until he gets 20+ carries a game (next year), his numbers won't be that impressive, but neither would Peterson's ...

So are his carries being limited by Mack because he's afraid of getting too many yards or what?

picasso
9/26/2006, 04:33 PM
dude, please do not compare the two. Charles could never carry the load that Peterson does. if you think so, you're no football type person.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2006, 04:43 PM
dude, please do not compare the two. Charles could never carry the load that Peterson does. if you think so, you're no football type person.
Seeing how neither Peterson, Selvin nor Jamaal have finished a single college football season healthy, I don't know why you guys scoff at our RB by committee approach. I doubt y'all would've gone 8-4 last year had Patrick been groomed earlier and gotten some PT.

picasso
9/26/2006, 04:46 PM
Seeing how neither Peterson, Selvin nor Jamaal have finished a single college football season healthy, I don't know why you guys scoff at our RB by committee approach. I doubt y'all would've gone 8-4 last year had Patrick been groomed earlier and gotten some PT.
let's see. Peterson carried more times than any other back in D-1 in '04. hows that Jack? you honestly think Charles can carry 32 times a game and still have the energy Peterson does? have you seen his stats in the 2nd half?

:rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
9/26/2006, 04:53 PM
let's see. Peterson carried more times than any other back in D-1 in '04. hows that Jack? you honestly think Charles can carry 32 times a game and still have the energy Peterson does? have you seen his stats in the 2nd half?

:rolleyes:
I'm not saying that. Peterson has ungodly stamina. That's why he kills teams in the 2nd half.

My point was that you're invariably going to need 2 quality RBs over the course of a college football season. Peterson might stay completely healthy all season but odds are against it. He'll probably get at least dinged up with the workload he's performing right now.

toast
9/26/2006, 04:53 PM

So you're saying AP would have made a difference in the ucla and/or ut outcomes? because tcu was the first game and we all know the saga that was ttech.

Herr Scholz
9/26/2006, 04:57 PM
So you're saying AP would have made a difference in the ucla and/or ut outcomes? because tcu was the first game and we all know the saga that was ttech.
UCLA, maybe Texas. Baylor certainly doesn't take OU to 2 OT and you would've beaten Nebraska by more than 7 and a&m by more than 6.

picasso
9/26/2006, 04:58 PM
I'm not saying that. Peterson has ungodly stamina. That's why he kills teams in the 2nd half.

My point was that you're invariably going to need 2 quality RBs over the course of a college football season. Peterson might stay completely healthy all season but odds are against it. He'll probably get at least dinged up with the workload he's performing right now.
I agree. I've just seen a few Horn fans try to compare the two. Charles isn't and never will be an every down back. he's Reggie Bush Lite.

caphorns
9/26/2006, 05:08 PM
In all fairness, OU worked their backups against us last year. I think it was 30 carries for about 60 yards for that bunch. So maybe Bob's right that they are better off running AD for now in big games.

Jewstin
9/26/2006, 05:09 PM
Texas fans are quick to forget the only two important differences between this year and last year:

1.) You guys don't have Vince Young anymore.
and
2.) Adrian Peterson isn't injured for this year's game (*knock-on-wood*).

I love reading threads (on the Texas boards, in particular) about how OU fans are delusional. It just reaffirms my hatred for the obnoxious pricks that come out of that state and especially that fanbase. There was probably half a dozen games Texas would've lost over the course of 2005 and 2004 without Vince Young scrambling for twenty yard gains on every third or fourth and long. For a two year period, they had a very special player that bailed 'em out and no amount of paper comparisons and worthless statistics can change that. Not that there is anything bad with that, of course ... but to say we're delusional about our hopes this season is a product of just that -- delusion.

This year will take us right back to the 2000-2004 seasons when Mack Brown was an overrated coach who couldn't get it done no matter what Texas talent he had on the sideline.

So, Texas lit up garbage teams during the first games and got thumped by Ohio State. We lit up our garbage opponent and came away with three wins (yeah, I reference the Oregon game as a win) over quality IA opponents (Washington beat UCLA this weekend - looks like that paper comparison has gone down the ****ter).

That being said, statistics and paper comparisons matter for **** in this game. I don't see Texas winning this game simply because they don't have a star who can step up and win it. Last year, it was Vince Young ... the year before, it was Adrian Peterson ... before that, going all the way back to the 2000 championship game, it was Mark Clayton (and a bit o' White), then Q, then White and Williams, then Heupel and Q. This year will be no different.

And for the record, the other top 4 Heisman candidates couldn't hold Adrian Peterson's jock, much less a bunch of average Texas runningbacks. Texas' combined rushing yards won't be half of what AD alone throws down, I bet.

I don't normally get this aggressive, except when talking about OU/Texas. :) This season is better than the big games in the past, from my perspective. You have little national championship implications, but major Big XII and pride implications. Being born and raised in Oklahoma, I've always seen Texans try to treat this whole state like some kind of degenerate posse because we have a smaller population and (thus) lesser economic stature. That whole mentality becomes magnified in the weeks leading up to this game.

Everything is bigger in Texas ... especially the egos.

~fin~

caphorns
9/26/2006, 05:29 PM
Being born and raised in Oklahoma, I've always seen Texans try to treat this whole state like some kind of degenerate posse because we have a smaller population and (thus) lesser economic stature.

This part made me cry. Delusional. But touching. :texan:

picasso
9/26/2006, 05:49 PM
it appears many of my fellow Sooners don't share the same lack of confidence that I have in our defense.

Jewstin
9/26/2006, 08:18 PM
This part made me cry. Delusional. But touching. :texan:

The fallout in the oil industry (as well as the easily accessible reserves in eastern Oklahoma) during the 70s destroyed the economic growth in Oklahoma, especially in Tulsa. Up till that point, the whole state was prospering after the early part of the 20th century ruined the growth.

So, what's delusional about that? Texas is larger, as is your population. You still have a tremendous number of active oil wells. Congratulations! Because you're in a geographically better area, with more people (and more revenue for local governments for your institutions), you're all automatically better people! LoL!

Like I said ... everything's bigger in Texas, including the egos. And thanks for helping prove my point about the arrogance, dip****. ;)

I'm really glad I didn't decide to enroll at UT, or Baylor, or any of the other Texas schools. You couldn't pay me to live in that state, even if their academic programs are superior (although, I could still argue that up and down, since education and ranking mechanisms are such a subjective matter). I'd hate to think I'd have to actually interact with idiots like you.

I can only pray my best job offer is somewhere else.

Cam
9/26/2006, 09:20 PM
9:20, nothing's changed.

goingoneight
9/26/2006, 09:25 PM
We has seven points as a team against Ohio State. You're right, we're goin' down...

I bring smack talk of joy to this thread!!! :D

goingoneight
9/26/2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, but we have two weeks to focus on all of that, right? Hell, both teams have lots of questions, in my opinion. I think one team gets good answers in two weeks and the other team can start making plans for San Diego.

Well, that's better than making plans for Eskimo Joes during Bowl season. :D

The Maestro
9/26/2006, 09:35 PM
Wow, I've been waiting for some horns fan to take the bait and it took two days, but finally, a fan who celebrates Nathan Vasher, Mr. Vasherized himself, took the bait and tried to compare JC to AD. WHAT A FREAKING JOKE!!!! Besides, why would you come on this board as a fan of an opposing team and celebrate the name of a player who made one of the most boneheaded plays in OU-Texas history? That's like an OSU fan coming on this board and calling himself "Brent Parkerized".

Octavian
9/26/2006, 09:36 PM

...says the guy with 81st ranked pass defense in the country.

Cam
9/26/2006, 09:38 PM
:eek:

The Maestro
9/26/2006, 09:42 PM

Yeah, but they did play those passing powerhouses, Rice and North Texas!

goingoneight
9/26/2006, 09:43 PM
I just hope OU can continue to throw the ball well and run the ball like AD does. That is what has won us games thus far... and OUr defense will always make high school teams like OSU... I mean MTSU look stupid, they have proven nothing and will likely blow up a few more times against Texass. I wouldn't have said that of OU in the early Stoops days, but they've been spiraling downward for three years now, it's not just a Chicken Little assumption. I really want to see us make it back to the dominant days of OU defense, but I'm only smiling about this game because of AD and the hero, PT.

I hope Texass eats their words if we win for making fun of ENA and foolishly thinking any Texass RB in their school history is as good as AD. When it comes to defensive battle, UT has the edge. Offense is about even, maybe a little more favorable for OU. Coaching... 'nuff said.

TexasLidig8r
9/27/2006, 08:48 AM
I hope Texass eats their words if we win for making fun of ENA and foolishly thinking any Texass RB in their school history is as good as AD. When it comes to defensive battle, UT has the edge. Offense is about even, maybe a little more favorable for OU. Coaching... 'nuff said.

Actually, most of the Texas alums and fans I have talked to have nothing but good things to say about Thompson... how he is obviously the ultimate team player, how well he has adapted from QB to WR back to QB. On top of that the fans and alums from his hometown have said nothing but what a good kid he is.

As for AD and Texas backs in our illustrious school history...

Take a look at this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdvVaTbwMrE

This is interesting as well... especially around the 40 second mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IMJvUgLCXE

I seem to remember Ricky Williams having an unbelievable senior season as well.

C&CDean
9/27/2006, 09:33 AM
Ricky Williams is certainly a player to be proud of.

The only UT running back I've ever really respected was Earl. Well him, and the Sam, Lam, Jam, Ham, Mam, Gam, Viet ****ing Nam brothers.

Herr Scholz
9/27/2006, 09:43 AM
It just reaffirms my hatred for the obnoxious pricks that come out of that state...
You mean like Adrian Peterson, Paul Thompson, Malcolm Kelly, Jauquin Iglesias, Joe Jon Finley, Demario Pleasant, Marcus Walker, Calvin Thibideaux, Demarcus Granger, Alonzo Dotson, John Williams, Lendy Holmes, Cory Bennett, Steve Coleman, Cory Brandon, Garrett Hartley, Fred Strong, Adron Tennell and Jacob Gutierrez?

caphorns
9/27/2006, 09:44 AM
The fallout in the oil industry (as well as the easily accessible reserves in eastern Oklahoma) during the 70s destroyed the economic growth in Oklahoma, especially in Tulsa. Up till that point, the whole state was prospering after the early part of the 20th century ruined the growth.

So, what's delusional about that? Texas is larger, as is your population. You still have a tremendous number of active oil wells. Congratulations! Because you're in a geographically better area, with more people (and more revenue for local governments for your institutions), you're all automatically better people! LoL!

Like I said ... everything's bigger in Texas, including the egos. And thanks for helping prove my point about the arrogance, dip****. ;)

I'm really glad I didn't decide to enroll at UT, or Baylor, or any of the other Texas schools. You couldn't pay me to live in that state, even if their academic programs are superior (although, I could still argue that up and down, since education and ranking mechanisms are such a subjective matter). I'd hate to think I'd have to actually interact with idiots like you.

I can only pray my best job offer is somewhere else.

Thomas Malthus disagrees. And can I get you a tissue.

Jewstin
9/27/2006, 05:35 PM
Thomas Malthus disagrees. And can I get you a tissue.

Ugh. Malthus. Thanks for referencing a guy who has been largely discredited by modern empirical evidence.

Nice try, though.

That being said, you can get me some coffee ... maybe a donut.

Jewstin
9/27/2006, 05:37 PM
You mean like Adrian Peterson, Paul Thompson, Malcolm Kelly, Jauquin Iglesias, Joe Jon Finley, Demario Pleasant, Marcus Walker, Calvin Thibideaux, Demarcus Granger, Alonzo Dotson, John Williams, Lendy Holmes, Cory Bennett, Steve Coleman, Cory Brandon, Garrett Hartley, Fred Strong, Adron Tennell and Jacob Gutierrez?

I figured someone would bring this up.

My blanket generalization (which I realize isn't a good thing) only applies to those who don't give Oklahoma a chance. These players all made the choice to come here, so they are a-okay in my book.

... just like the hordes of Texas students that choose to come here (save for the ones who came here as a last-ditch resort because they didn't graduate in their high school's top 10 percent and, subsequently, sit around and complain about how they can't stand Oklahoma).

KC//CRIMSON
9/28/2006, 04:31 PM

statpwned!!

RedstickSooner
9/28/2006, 06:46 PM
Whether we win the game this year has nothing to do with any Texas player. This wouldn't be the case if VY were still there - he was good enough to win by himself, unfortunately.

Whether we win now is going to depend, pretty much exclusively, on just how good our coaches are.

Has Stoops lost "it"? Does this coaching staff have the spark of genius? We've seen signs of that spark on offense -- quite a few signs, actually -- but we've yet to have proof whether it still survives on the defensive side of the ball.

Couple years back, there was never any question going into a big game, we knew we'd do well. We now have the talent to compete at every spot on the field -- so the real question is how good our coaching is.

If our coaches are worthy of the salaries they're paid, we'll win. If not, we'll lose, and be faced with a long stretch of mediocrity. Stoops has won a national championship, so the only way he'll face true pressure is if he strings together a bunch of 5 or 6 loss seasons.

And, personally, I don't think he should face the hot seat. The only hot seat should be at defensive co-ordinator -- and if our defense doesn't gell this season, the replacement for Venables should be Stoops.

Statalyzer
9/29/2006, 05:49 PM
Selvin Young scares me MUCH more than Charles, and he might be banged up.

Three weeks ago the word on the street was "Mack is starting Selvin over Charles. Dumb old Mack doesn't even know how to start his best players."