PDA

View Full Version : Hey New Orleans peeps (All 2 of ya)

TUSooner
9/25/2006, 01:55 PM
What are you doing? Are you going to the game?
I'm not, but I wish I were. I think I'll walk down to the Dome at about 4:00 or so and soak up some atmosphere and maybe catch the Goo Goo Dolls. I've been out on the streets in the CBD a couple of times today, and I can tell you there is some real emotion in the air. And it's way beyond the anticipation of a football game. I've been out and about in this city for Super Bowls and Sugar Bowls, even MNC Sugar Bowls, and it's not like the feeling you sense here today. Half the people don't even care who wins, they just want to be in that dome when they play the Star Spangled Banner and blow the whistle. There will be some deep and complex emotions flowing when that happens. I'm sure a bunch if players and fans will be weeping for joy or for what they don't even know. Another one-of-a-kind day in a one-of-a-kind city. If you're going to be downtown, PM me and I'll meet you for a beer - on me.

Jimminy Crimson
9/25/2006, 02:31 PM
I might be in NO on November 5. I'll take a beer then ;)

Have fun at the game, yo!

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 02:36 PM
I watched the Cold Pizza show this morning.

ESPN had Archie Manning and the Governor on...

That HS Band was a nice touch.

They could drown out those 2 experts(?).

TUSooner
9/25/2006, 02:46 PM
I might be in NO on November 5. I'll take a beer then ;)

Have fun at the game, yo!
You're on. :pop:

yermom
9/25/2006, 02:48 PM
sounds like a great time TU, have fun

VeeJay
9/25/2006, 03:34 PM
For the first time in a long time, I wish I were in N.O. today.

Good Luck N.O. and here's hoping the place will get cleaned up once and for all.

Osce0la
9/25/2006, 03:45 PM
I hate that the Saints are playing the Falcons tonight. Saints come into the Superdome for the first time post-Katrina, and of all teams, they have to play the Falcons...Part of me would love to see them win it (who wouldn't love to see the Saints win in their first game back home?), but then the Falcons fan side of me doesn't want them to win it...

I'm hoping for a good game, and I don't think it'll bother me too much if the Falcons can't pull it off...It'd be good to see the Saints rebound from the troubles they've had over the last year and get off to a 1-0 home record in the post-Katrina Superdome...

mrowl
9/25/2006, 03:48 PM
I hate that the Saints are playing the Falcons tonight. Saints come into the Superdome for the first time post-Katrina, and of all teams, they have to play the Falcons...Part of me would love to see them win it (who wouldn't love to see the Saints win in their first game back home?), but then the Falcons fan side of me doesn't want them to win it...

I'm hoping for a good game, and I don't think it'll bother me too much if the Falcons can't pull it off...It'd be good to see the Saints rebound from the troubles they've had over the last year and get off to a 1-0 home record in the post-Katrina Superdome...

don't worry... the past 9 months have been rigged for the saints. they probably win.

TUSooner
9/25/2006, 04:03 PM

It would almost be more "normal" if the Falcons win. :rolleyes: I think it's fitting to play the Falcons. The Saints and Falcons are long-time, interdivision rivals, and the cities aren't too far apart. And God bless the Atlanta fans who came to town. I hope they are being treated well and having a great time, win or lose.

lefty
9/25/2006, 04:39 PM
TU,

I live in Atlanta and have been to a few games in NO and some in Atlanta. These teams were so bad for so long there is a kindred feeling between the fan bases. I always had more fun at the NO-Atlanta games than any other. Probably more like a college atmosphere than any in the NFL. A few years ago, when NO played in the ATL I had to board a plan, decked out in my Falcon's gear, to attend a meeting in the French Quarter on Monday morning. As should be expected, the plane was me and Saints fans. The Saints won that game. I almost had to be carried off the plane as a result of the booze the Saints fans bought me on the flight. That the Saints and the Falcons are playing tonight is exactly as it should be. Have fun at the dome.

P.S. That the teams are both 2-0 makes it all that much better.

Blue
9/25/2006, 06:54 PM
I'll be down there Thursday through Sunday for a wedding. I can't wait to get back to New Orleans.

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 07:08 PM
The Saints are a lock IMO. :D

Blue
9/25/2006, 08:40 PM
The Falcons are a lock IMO.

Really? ;)

VeeJay
9/25/2006, 08:55 PM
Every time I've been to a Saints game, and there have been many, I returned home hung over as hell, win or lose. As a little kid, I even saw a few games in Tulane Stadium, including the Dempsey 63 yard FG that beat Detroit.

And the Rolling Stones concerts - in '78 and '81. Good gawd!

N.O. is a big part of my youth - I'm glad to see it back, even if this night is bigger on symbolism.

Dio
9/25/2006, 10:42 PM
The Falcons are a lock IMO.

DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN

Sooner in Tampa
9/26/2006, 05:54 AM
The Falcons are a lock IMO.Vcash spent. :D

Okla-homey
9/26/2006, 06:45 AM
Q: Why didn't the Saints wear their black "Home" jerseys last night?
A: Because George Bush doesn't like black jerseys.

:D

StoopTroup
9/26/2006, 06:54 AM
Tuesday Morning QB's...lol.

VeeJay
9/26/2006, 08:44 AM
ahh the irony. Green Day performing, having titled their hit CD "American Idiot" after Bush 43.

Bush 41 does the coin toss.

I am guessing Mr. Green Day lead singer and Papa Bush didn't pal around backstage.

TUSooner
9/26/2006, 09:06 AM
Well I had a decent time hanging out in the crowd with a law school classmate before the game. Didn't get close to seeing or hearing the Goo Goo Dolls, however, due to the crowd.

I guess I have lived here a long time: I ran into a ton of people I knew, including my tailgating neighbors from around the corner who supplied us with some much appreciated beer. (The lines at the few beer stands were amazing.) I made it home in time to see some pregame and watch the first 3 quarters before passing out... I mean "falling asleep" on the couch.

As all the talking heads repeated ad nauseam, this was a big deal for the city and one of the few things worth celebrating down here. I shouldn't complain about the heaps of positive publicity, but you'd think from the coverage that the only white people who live here are the Mannings and Drew Brees. :rolleyes: Also, the lower 9th Ward was not the only area, or the biggest, that was devastated. Nor was it the only predominantly African-American area; it was just the oldest and poorest, and , I suppose, the most romantic sounding area. Anyway, no bitching: ESPN, and even Spike Lee, did the city a huge favor by telling its story in a pretty compelling way.

And thanks to all the Dirty Bird fans who came down to show their support. (Spek to lefty for hitting the nail on the head about the bond & rivalry between Saints and Falcon fans.)

Y'all please come down here and spend your money. :D