PDA

View Full Version : WOOT!!! Lips show tonight!

sooneron
9/25/2006, 12:18 PM
Yep, can't wait!

http://www.coachella.com/gallery_images/68.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :cool:

StoopTroup
9/25/2006, 12:20 PM
They are like the Pink Floyd of the New Millenium aren't they?

Freaky Stuff that Wayne does...lol.

BigRedJed
9/25/2006, 12:26 PM
Sweet. I'll bet those two NY shows (last night and tonight) are off the hook.

OUAndy1807
9/25/2006, 12:38 PM
Ron, is Danielson opening tonight? If so , I'm jealous.

sooneron
9/25/2006, 11:41 PM
Ron, is Danielson opening tonight? If so , I'm jealous.
Uh, yeah and I will post a full fledged review tomorrow. I feel like I was a part of something bigger than myself tonight. Something I haven't felt since a U2 concert back in the 80's. Amazing. I'm almost speechless and I've seen the Lips quite a few times. This was their last show on this tour and they did not relent. I am spent and yet, high. (not on drugs, but music and a happening dealio) This is the best show that ANYONE could hope to see in the US of A. I am proud to be an Okie, an Okie just like the Lips.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/26/2006, 08:23 AM
I'll bet it was awesome.

bri
9/26/2006, 08:31 AM
Me = jealous

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/26/2006, 08:33 AM
Me = too.

Howzit
9/26/2006, 08:37 AM
I wonder how one would say that in Oracle SQL 10g-ese?

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/26/2006, 08:40 AM
SELECT jealous
FROM emotional_id
WHERE lips = awesome

OU4LIFE
9/26/2006, 08:42 AM
like this:

,|,,

Howzit
9/26/2006, 08:54 AM
like this:

,|,,

You're so query.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

BigRedJed
9/26/2006, 09:24 AM
Admit it: you didn't really like the show, nor do you like the Lips. You just say that because it's "cool" and trendy to say so. I have it on good authority from another poster that nobody really likes them, they just say they do so that everybody thinks they're cool.

BigRedJed
9/26/2006, 10:10 AM
Oooh... ...they did the laser thing, didn't they? Stardeath did that a few weeks ago at the Opolis, and Wayne was there leading the laser tag.

http://myspace-322.vo.llnwd.net/01211/22/36/1211386322_l.jpg

http://myspace-059.vo.llnwd.net/01211/95/00/1211590059_l.jpg

http://myspace-625.vo.llnwd.net/01211/52/60/1211340625_l.jpg

http://myspace-410.vo.llnwd.net/01211/01/41/1211341410_l.jpg

OUAndy1807
9/26/2006, 10:10 AM
Anyone who likes the Lips should check out Danielson's new CD Ships

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/26/2006, 10:33 AM
This thread is now making me sad in my ears. And eyes. And pants.

sooneron
9/26/2006, 11:46 AM
Ok, here goes. It's gonna be long-

What do you get when you cross the Salvation Army, The White Stripes, The Main Street Singers and some Jefferson Airplane for good measure?

http://static.flickr.com/55/115410321_db203d65a6.jpg
You get Danielson. Yep, Danielson. I wish I could say that their set RMFO, but I would be pretending to be hip or something. They came out with great energy (supposedly one of the Danielson singers had flown in from SD) and the first couple of songs were catchy - think Jack White singing power folk/polka with some psychedelia mixed in, instrument-wise. They all had the matching outfits that were something like NJ State Trooper meets rent a cop meets Nursemaid! I think there were about a dozen people on the stage for the act!
Eventually, some of the crowd grew weary of them as did I and resorted to the lovely NY "You suck!" These were at least few and far between.
I didn't do it, b/c I like to give the up and comers a chance, but it just seemed like the novelty was wearing off, plus, there may have been too many damned instruments playing for me to really hear what was being sung/played. Their set was about 40 minutes long and they went out on a raucous high note. I was getting giddy, as were the Lips as Wayne and the boys would occaisionally peer out from behind the enormous screen. This would set off the laser pointers in the crowd from the previous night's show. I was pretty disappointed they didn't save the lasers for the final show of the tour, but life is not always fair.

The crowd started to take on an anxious frenzy as the lights went down and the Hammerstein Ballroom began to look REALLY packed. I was in the mezz balcony and I would have to guess there were about 3K on the floor- prolly more.
The show began and music came up as Steven began to hammer the keys of the keyboard and then, Wayne appeared in the glorious bubble. The crowd went nuts and passed him around like artichoke dip at a hooka party. It was glorious. Once Wayne made it back to the stage and got out of the bubble, the group erupted into Race For The Prize and about 50-70 large blue balloons filled the floor! The crowd ate it up and bounced in unison as what must have been 20 reems of confetti were jettisoned from the stage. Then, there was more confetti. The screen pulsed psychedelic images along with the music in perfect sync with the lyrics and beat. As deranged Santas and Alien vixens flashed spotlights all over the crowd, I had a feeling that I hadn't experienced since 7th grade when I saw Kiss at LNC in 80! It was euphoria.

The next song was Free Radicals- they did a rawking rendition of it and I liked it more than I did on the album. It's now a fave song of mine.

They dedicated a song to a girl that has seen EVERY show on this US tour- In The Morning Of Magicians- very cool!!! They played Veil of Stars with a trippy nebula background of stars behind them - It was GLORIOUS!!!!!

I can't recall the song order, so I'll just jump around the set from here on...

At one point Wayne said that he had a note that some Jay dude had something to say, so he invited him up on the stage- as corny as it seems Jay asked his girl (can't remember her name, maybe Kayla) to marry him right there on the stage. She said yes and the crowd went crazy as the band blasted into Do You Realize as they used the intro of Tiff Amber Thiessen from the Peach Pit Days on 90210!!! Greatness!!!!

More confetti ensued!

They played The Yeah Yeah Song and Wayne did a great job of getting the crowd into it, as well as, explaining the song as being one of venting frustration and cleansing. The crowd pretty much blew them off the stage with the Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah retorts!

They played Yoshimi and the crowd once again belted out the Karate like chants in the first verse- Wayne loved it!
I have to say that he did a great job of acknowleging the audience and making us feel like we were the show as well. At one point during Yoshimi at the end, Wayne pulled out a nun puppet to sing the last verse- hilarious.

Nearing the end, they played She Don't Use Jelly - the intro to that was also cool as they used Jon Stewart's intro about a weird band from OKC from his old show on MTV. Awesomeness. I know the crowd loves the song, I would MUCH rather hear Turn It On.

They played Fight Test and The Spark, which pretty much RMFFO!
Mike dawned the big hands for Spoonful which was awesome as scenes of the teletubbies danced on the big screen! I never thought the teletubbies could look or seem cool, but they did. More Greatness!!
As the show was drawing to a close, Wayne commented on the positive vibe of the show and the crowd and how he could feel love- He then told the story of a woman in OKC whose son had died of cancer and how she hadn't been able to move on. She sent him a letter saying that at one point during the recent OKC show, she felt uplifted and a calmness that she hadn't felt. He credited the crowds and not just the band for the "moment".

They closed with a very mellow song that I did not recognize from before. I'm going to have to do a little research, cuz it's killing me that I can't place it.

Do I wish they had played Turn It On or Shine Sweet Jesus? Yep, but then again, I could have stayed if the show had lasted til 6 AM, but that just isn't going to happen.
'
All in all, it was one of the best concert experiences of my life - top 5. I will prolly go see both shows the next chance I get. They're THAT worth it.

Once again, I'm proud I'm an Okie and that the Lips are too.

BigRedJed
9/26/2006, 12:44 PM
...They closed with a very mellow song that I did not recognize from before. I'm going to have to do a little research, cuz it's killing me that I can't place it...
It might have been Love Yer Brain, from Oh My Gawd...

That's what they played for their last encore in OKC. I thought maybe it was a shout-out specifically to OKC old-timers, and they might not be using it elsewhere on the tour. They definitely didn't play it at Red Rocks in Denver. Of course, they might have added it for OKC, and then fell in love with it and decided to keep it in.

That song is beautiful.

BigRedJed
9/26/2006, 12:45 PM
Doh.

KaiserSooner
9/26/2006, 12:56 PM
How awesome. There's nothin' like em'.

sooneron
9/26/2006, 02:55 PM
It might have been Love Yer Brain, from Oh My Gawd...

That's what they played for their last encore in OKC. I thought maybe it was a shout-out specifically to OKC old-timers, and they might not be using it elsewhere on the tour. They definitely didn't play it at Red Rocks in Denver. Of course, they might have added it for OKC, and then fell in love with it and decided to keep it in.

That song is beautiful.
I think that was it. I should have known to post the query in a Jednip thread!:texan:

BigRedJed
9/26/2006, 03:22 PM
The only thing that bummed me out when they performed it here was that they didn't spend five minutes at the end of the song wrecking a piano with axes and sledgehammers, like they did in the studio.

KaiserSooner
9/26/2006, 04:09 PM
FWIW, here's an article from the Denver Post on Oklahoma music. It's sort of old, from last May. But still, it's a good read.

http://www.denverpost.com/music/ci_3811899

sooneron
9/26/2006, 10:51 PM
I forgot to mention that they played The WAND. very cool - I'm sure I missed a couple of others.

BigRedJed
9/27/2006, 10:10 AM
The song they played for the encore Monday was You Have To Be Joking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZkulAePMXE).

BigRedJed
9/27/2006, 10:19 AM
Well, this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvKvkL8HrU) says they played You Have To Be Joking on Sunday. That makes sense if sooneron is saying they definitely played Love Yer Brain on Monday.

The first person must have attended both shows and got them confused, or just confused the dates.

BigRedJed
9/27/2006, 10:20 AM
There are other Hammerstein vids here (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flaming+lips+hammerstein).

sooneron
9/27/2006, 10:52 AM
Well, this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvKvkL8HrU) says they played You Have To Be Joking on Sunday. That makes sense if sooneron is saying they definitely played Love Yer Brain on Monday.

The first person must have attended both shows and got them confused, or just confused the dates.
It was You Have To Be Joking. It was the first video where he was talking about the audience. Thanks Jed. The vid titled "Wayne's Ball routine" was also at Hammerstein.

BigRedJed
9/27/2006, 12:21 PM
After seeing those vids, I'm officially jealous, and I've seen them twice this year, at freakin' Red Rocks and in their biggest, coolest concert in their hometown, evar.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/27/2006, 12:56 PM
This thread is now starting to pi$$ me off.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/27/2006, 01:18 PM
Or just make me sad in my huge hands.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/27/2006, 01:51 PM
Which I will find a pair of...eventually.

BigRedJed
9/27/2006, 03:08 PM
You know what they say about big hands...

...big gloves.

sooneron
9/27/2006, 04:23 PM
I went out and bought the Fearless Freaks dvd. I figured I wouldn't mind giving Brad B and the Lips a little cashola.

sooneron
9/27/2006, 06:18 PM
OK, just watched it. Wow. Great jorb Bradley!

BigRedJed
9/28/2006, 10:34 AM
Now watch it with the commentart on. Seriously.

Among other things, you'll get to hear Wayne expound on the Long John's robbery story and talk about a manager that he had who tried to stage a fake robbery, shot himself in the leg to sell it, and immediately (literally) **** his pants from the pain.

BigRedJed
9/28/2006, 10:34 AM
And I didn't just say p*ss.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/28/2006, 11:24 AM
'GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR MOTHERF*CKER!!!!...'

King Crimson
9/28/2006, 11:36 AM
sooneron: i thought i put Fearless Freaks on a DVD-R for you back when? i guess not.

cool they played Love Yer Brain....3 thousand million billion milliseconds on a Sunday morning (or whatever it's called) is also a good one from Oh My Gawd!!! i think that came on clear vinyl inna day--or maybe that was Telepahthic Surgery that was on the clear stuff. Up through Preist they all came on colored vinyl.

Flaming Lips EP: Green or Purple (forget)
Hear it is: white (super poster sized foldout lyric sheet on this one with Wayne's artwork and cartoons---killer)
Oh my Gawddd!!!: X--i actually bought the CD of this one in retrospect--but had the vinyl for all the others
Telepathic: Clear (IIRC, now)
Priest: pink with greyisn bowling ball hinty swirls.

my sis saw em in Dallas just after the OKC show and echoed a lot of what sooneron said. Shine on Sweet Jesus would have been killer (Preist has some graet stuff, IMO)....as would have been Slow Nerve Action from Transmissions.

sooneron
9/28/2006, 01:22 PM
sooneron: i thought i put Fearless Freaks on a DVD-R for you back when? i guess not.

cool they played Love Yer Brain....3 thousand million billion milliseconds on a Sunday morning (or whatever it's called) is also a good one from Oh My Gawd!!! i think that came on clear vinyl inna day--or maybe that was Telepahthic Surgery that was on the clear stuff. Up through Preist they all came on colored vinyl.

Flaming Lips EP: Green or Purple (forget)
Hear it is: white (super poster sized foldout lyric sheet on this one with Wayne's artwork and cartoons---killer)
Oh my Gawddd!!!: X--i actually bought the CD of this one in retrospect--but had the vinyl for all the others
Telepathic: Clear (IIRC, now)
Priest: pink with greyisn bowling ball hinty swirls.

my sis saw em in Dallas just after the OKC show and echoed a lot of what sooneron said. Shine on Sweet Jesus would have been killer (Preist has some graet stuff, IMO)....as would have been Slow Nerve Action from Transmissions.

I think you gave me some of the dvd extras, not the actual doc. Still glad I bought it. I know Brad Beesley and don't mind him making a buck (even if that's all it is) off of me.

King Crimson
9/28/2006, 01:48 PM
I think you gave me some of the dvd extras, not the actual doc. Still glad I bought it. I know Brad Beesley and don't mind him making a buck (even if that's all it is) off of me.

then i ****ed up. still, i hear ya. and that's probably about what it is: a buck.

BigRedJed
9/28/2006, 02:45 PM
And I didn't just say p*ss.
But I did, apparently, say "commentart."

BigRedJed
9/28/2006, 02:48 PM
...Up through Preist they all came on colored vinyl...
Hell, I just bought Yoshimi on pink vinyl a couple of months ago.

KaiserSooner
9/28/2006, 02:58 PM
Now watch it with the commentart on. Seriously.

Among other things, you'll get to hear Wayne expound on the Long John's robbery story and talk about a manager that he had who tried to stage a fake robbery, shot himself in the leg to sell it, and immediately (literally) **** his pants from the pain.

Isn't that the old Long John's at Classen and 30th(?)? Seems like I remember seeing it not long after watching Fearless Freaks while at lunch one day.

BigRedJed
9/28/2006, 03:03 PM
Yep. Vietnamese noodle shop, these days. Get your piping hot Pho!

King Crimson
9/28/2006, 09:01 PM
Yep. Vietnamese noodle shop, these days. Get your piping hot Pho!

I think in the interim, it was a Mexican restaurant called La Rinconcita ("the little corner"). I went there once. with all the Long John's pirate regalia still in tact...it was pretty OK. the Vietnamese food looks really fresh in the FF doc, seriously. veg's, cilantro, etc. good vietnamese noodles is a good thing. we used to have a place here that was open till 2 AM, that was the shizz. but now it's Gap for Kids. ****ers.