PDA

View Full Version : A little stats help: Can anyone tell me the number of OU and NU all-americans

BeetDigger
9/25/2006, 11:13 AM
who played in the Game of the Century in 1971? I know, Google is your friend but it hasn't been my friend in this. I am just trying to see how many All-Americans played in that game, and they could have been All-Americans in previous or succeeding years, not just 1971. I guess while I am at it, I would like to try to find the number of NFL draft picks who played in that game too.

BIG_IKE
9/25/2006, 01:26 PM
Got you right here buddy....

Nebraska's 1971 season came down to a single game, at Owen Field in Norman, Okla., on Thanksgiving Day. At least, that's how it is most often remembered. The No. 1-ranked Cornhuskers played No. 2-ranked Oklahoma in what still is regularly regarded as college football's "Game of the Century."

The teams were undefeated and untied, and they included 17 of 22 first-team All-Big Eight players. Nebraska had the nation's top-ranked defense. Oklahoma had its most productive offense.

The cover of the issue (November 22, 1971) of Sports Illustrated published the week of the game included photographs of Nebraska linebacker Bob Terrio and Oklahoma running back Greg Pruitt, nose-to-nose, beneath the headline: "Irresistable Oklahoma Meets Immovable Nebraska."

The game was equal to its build-up. Johnny Rodgers opened the scoring less than four minutes into the first quarter with a 72-yard punt return, and Rich Sanger finished it by kicking an extra point with 1:38 remaining, following a dramatic, 74-yard drive capped by Jeff Kinney's 2-yard run.

Rodgers' punt return is among the most memorable moments of the game. But he also made a key play to keep the winning touchdown drive alive, improvising on a pass route to get open on third-and-8, then making a diving catch of a Jerry Tagge pass for a 12-yard gain and a first down

SOONERS FROM THAT GAME that were DRAFTED...

1973 2 29 Derland Moore Saints DE
2 30 Greg Pruitt Browns RB
2 43 Albert Chandler Bengals TE
2 44 Leon Crosswhite Lions RB
4 101 Joe Wylie Raiders WR
5 109 Tom Brahaney Cardinals C
7 164 Ken Jones Cardinals T
10 238 Dan Ruster Patriots DB
12 292 Dean Unruh Cardinals T
14 342 Raymond Hamilton Patriots LB
17 424 Larry Roach Bears DB
1972 2 46 Jack Mildren Colts DB
8 191 Al Qualls Colts LB
9 234 Roy Bell Cowboys RB
17 417 John Shelly Bills DB
1971 7 179 John Watson 49ers OT
10 248 Steve Casteel Browns LB
17 427 Monty Johnson Packers DB

HUSKERS FROM THAT GAME DRAFTED

1971- (four)
2nd round-Joe Orduna, RB, San Francisco
3rd round-Bob Newton, OT, Chicago
8th round-Paul Rogers, K, Pittsburgh
11th round-Dan Schneiss, TE, New England

1972- (six)
1st round-Jerry Tagge, QB, Green Bay
1st round-Jeff Kinney, RB, Kansas City
1st round-Larry Jacobson, DT, New York Giants
5th round-Carl Johnson, OT, New Orleans
8th round-Van Brownson, QB, Baltimore
10th round-Keith Wortman, OG, Green Bay

1973- (10)
1st round-Johnny Rodgers, WR, San Diego
2nd round-Willie Harper, LB, San Francisco
2nd round-Monte Johnson, DT, Oakland
3rd round-Bill Olds, RB, Baltimore
3rd round-Rich Glover, DT, New York Giants
5th round-Doug Dumler, C, New England
8th round-Joe Blahak, DB, Houston
8th round-Bill Janssen, OT, Pittsburgh
10th round-Dave Mason, DB, Minnesota
11th round-Jerry List, RB, Oakland

A TOTAL of 38 NFL DRAFTEES in THAT GAME
A TOTAL of 15 ALL-AMERICANS..7 for OU and 8 for NU

OU All-Americans
RB Greg Pruitt, 1972 Heisman Runner Up
QB JAck Milden
C- Tom Brahaney
T- Derland Moore
T-Eddie Foster
NG- Lucious Selmon
C- Kyle Davis

NU ALL AMERICANS
DT Larry Jacobsen Walter Camp, Outland Award
HB Jeff Kinney
QB Jerry Tagge
RB Johnny Rodgers , Heisman
DE Willie Harper
G Rich Glover, Lombardi,Outland
T Darryl White
T John Dutton

BIG_IKE
9/25/2006, 01:33 PM
Hey, can someone give me the ability to post threads? I have some good stuff, but waiting until someone asks or mentions it in a thread is quite frustrating. Thanks in advance anyone that can help. I thought it was a post requirement but I see guys with less posts than me starting threads.

The VIIIth
9/25/2006, 02:31 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5453/210/1600/hln_203035.jpg

You may now post threads.

BeetDigger
9/25/2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks Big Ike. I ended up going to the OU and NU sports pages to compile the information. I think that I ended up with a few more All-Americans and a few more draftees, but I was just counting the numbers from 1971, 72 and 73 and used the assumption that they all played in the game (which they might not have). I have watched the game on ESPN Classics. It is an incredible game. OU came back from down 11 twice only to have Nebraska score with a little over a minute left for the win.

The Huskers went on to trounce Alabama in the Orange Bowl and OU kicked Auburn's butt in the Sugar Bowl.