PDA

View Full Version : The Bucknuts Heisman tandem...

The Maestro
9/24/2006, 07:57 PM
...of Troy Smith and Ted Ginn, Jr. Hmmm...checking out their stats got me thinking about their Sooner counterparts.

Smith - 65.5% completion percentage. 8 TD's/2 INT's...884 yards passing.
PT - 62.2% completion percentage. 8 TD's/3 INT's...930 yards passing.

Ginn - 14 catches/254 yards/5 TD's/18.1 ypc avg./long of 58
Kelley - 17 catches/379 yards/4 TD's/22.3 ypc avg./long of 73

So why is it they get pimped so much? Our tandem is just as good, arguably doing better at this point. How does a quarterback who throws for 115 yards even get considered in the Heisman race? Especially when he got half of that on one throw!

DrZaius
9/24/2006, 08:03 PM
...of Troy Smith and Ted Ginn, Jr. Hmmm...checking out their stats got me thinking about their Sooner counterparts.

Smith - 65.5% completion percentage. 8 TD's/2 INT's...884 yards passing.
PT - 62.2% completion percentage. 8 TD's/3 INT's...930 yards passing.

Ginn - 14 catches/254 yards/5 TD's/18.1 ypc avg./long of 58
Kelley - 17 catches/379 yards/4 TD's/22.3 ypc avg./long of 73

So why is it they get pimped so much? Our tandem is just as good, arguably doing better at this point. How does a quarterback who throws for 115 yards even get considered in the Heisman race? Especially when he got half of that on one throw!

Are those accurate numbers?

That is awesome.

makes me wonder why? as well

The Maestro
9/24/2006, 08:15 PM
Well, I didn't make them up. But I understand how looking at those can make it puzzling about how the media just hypes some players while overlooking others. That's what makes what Josh and Jason did so remarkable. No one was even mentioning those guys before the seasons where they made their way to New York City and the Heisman ceremony. It was all based on results, not hype.

jps
9/24/2006, 08:17 PM
i just posted almost this same thing under the malcolm kelly thread. how funny. I am wondering the same thing. ESPN just always loves to pump someone up. on the replays yesterday someone was commentating about a heisman worthy play that troy smith had made and it was only a scramble for 10 yards or something. What is heisman worthy about anybody making that play?

afs
9/24/2006, 08:18 PM
probably b/c those numbers were against Penn State and Texas. yeah the argument can be made that our OOC opponents were just as good at PSU and ut, but big name school bring attention. I'd expect that if PT / Kelley / and Peterson have a stellar game in 2 weeks, we'll see equal attention.

StoopTroup
9/24/2006, 08:23 PM
They don't want to see another Sooner win it.

On top of that...I think they like to try to make the whole Heisman thing a down to the wire event every year, otherwise they might not have anything to write about at season's end.

The Maestro
9/24/2006, 08:50 PM
Well, Brady Quinn threw for half a mile against Penn State. Based on that, he's four times the QB as Troy Smith against the same defense. Penn State and Texas neither one have an impressive win this year. I guess you could brag on Oregon for getting a "W" against us and Washington has impressed with back to back wins over Fresno State and UCLA.

magic33216
9/24/2006, 09:18 PM
I was thinking that Kelly was just as good as Ginn aswell. He is putting up significant numbers, and if he wouldn't have stepped out yesterday or went up 3 feet on that long pass, he could have racked up 3 TD rececptions. We will see two weeks from now if he can perform.

Pepper
9/24/2006, 11:46 PM
They don't want to see another Sooner win it.

Well, they did give it to USC 3 of the last 4 years, so I don't think 1 team getting the trophy too often is an issue. But it was strange how AD was #2 preseason behind Brady Quinn. Now AD is #2 behind Troy Smith. No matter how well he plays, he never moves up.

sooneron
9/24/2006, 11:49 PM
Doesn't Ginn return punts?

SoonerDood
9/25/2006, 12:16 AM
"Troy Smith made ONE play! OMFG!" - espn

Jackal
9/25/2006, 12:25 AM
Being a Sooner fan for the last 30 years, I have no doubt there is a media bias against Oklahoma.

I remember Brent Musberger used to a OU hater back in the 80's when he was with CBS's NFL today show.............they always had a little college segment during the pregame pro games on Sunday. He has gotten better b/c he had to due to the ABC TV contract with the big 12.

Even Keith Jackson recently always made snide remarks during the last few years of his broadcasting. Maybe because he stopped traveling and just did pac-10 games and had his nose up USC's ***.

These are just 2 examples but more exist and one day I would like to find out why.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2006, 12:25 AM
Troy Smith beat Texas AT Texas. Troy Smith hasn't lost a game since October 8, 2005-a streak which includes several games against rankend teams on national TV.

Troy Smith is one hell of a QB. He had a bad statistical game this last week, sure. But he made up for it by making a spectacular individual play which all but won the game for Ohio State-as the game was very much in doubt at that point and the score forced PSU into throw mode-and their next two drives ended in INTs returnd for TDs.

'Sall I'm saying. PT is having a much better year than anyone expected, but Troy Smith is a damn fine QB and should he continue to produce and win, I'd have no problem with him winning the Heisman unless AD breaks 2000 yards.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2006, 12:27 AM
You guys DO realize that EVERY fan base thinks that the media is biased against them, right? Even Notre Dame fans think there's a media bias against them.

What it is is that we automatically assume that we're sort of impartial when we're nothing close-or we think we're more impartial than we are.

Octavian
9/25/2006, 01:15 AM
You guys DO realize that EVERY fan base thinks that the media is biased against them, right? Even Notre Dame fans think there's a media bias against them.

What it is is that we automatically assume that we're sort of impartial when we're nothing close-or we think we're more impartial than we are.

yep.

And the Heisman criteria can sometimes vary from year-to-year....it's up to voters to make up their own minds.

Is the Heisman about the best player (leader) of the #1 ranked team in the country....the guy who symbolizes the broader story for the season and the chase for the national title?

Or is it the best player in the country?

Sometimes the two come together (like last year) and it's an easy answer...but in most seasons voters have to choose which option they wanna go with...

Many claimed that OU and JDub benefitted from the former approach in '03, but in this case I hope voters choose the latter because Adrian doesn't have an equal in '06...

Smith is putting up nice numbers (not gawdy...just solid numbers for a QB on the #1 team) but he isn't exactly setting the world on fire....if Adrian has a big game in Dallas and OU wins, he'll go to the top of the charts.

FWIW, I think he'd already be on top if the Oregon fiasco wouldn't have occurred....his fourth quarter performance in Eugene was a classic Heisman statement in a big game - a superstar that put his team on his back and led them to a W - but that story got lost in all of the controversy.

It's not even October yet though....there's still a long way to go....

Readyfor8
9/25/2006, 01:33 AM
If AD gets 2k Yards, Troy Smith and Brady Quinn are the only players that would win it over him. If Troy Smith loses, I think Adrian wins it.

We talk about Wienke and Heupel but Ladanian Tomlinson was probably the best RB since AD and he came in third. Although him playing for TCU had alot to do with that, I think Tomlinson was probably the best player in the country that year.

snp
9/25/2006, 01:53 AM
The real early season Heisman isn't anyone listed; it's Garrett Wolfe.

96 Rushes
828 Yards
8.6 YPC
8 TDs

9 Receptions
156 Yards
17.3 YPR
1 TD

Readyfor8
9/25/2006, 02:03 AM
He plays for NIU and considering the competition I don't think he is the best player in the country. Not to mention I don't know if his team is going to be bowl eligibal.

The only thing that really scares me this year is that West Virgina goes Undefeated, and Slayton steals some of Petersen's votes. That and West Virginia playing for a National Championship, what kind of retard would put Louisville and West Virgina in the top 10? Atleast Louisville as beaten an over ranked opponent this season.

snp
9/25/2006, 01:05 PM
Who cares if he plays for NIU? That shouldn't matter at all.

And considering the competition, how about Ohio State? He tore them up.

The rest of your post about being bowl elligible shouldn't matter. We're talking about right now and as of right now, Garrett Wolfe is by far the best RB in the nation.

Statalyzer
9/25/2006, 01:08 PM
Ted Ginn isn't even the best WR on his team.

mdklatt
9/25/2006, 01:13 PM
Not to mention I don't know if his team is going to be bowl eligibal.

This right here is why the Heisman is a bunch of horse****. Why does it always go to somebody on a top team? Isn't it even more impressive to be a great player on a crappy team? Sure Troy Smith is going to look good with All World lineman and receivers to back him up.

Scott D
9/25/2006, 01:51 PM

impossible...because word out of South Bend this morning was the heirarchy in Heaven was as follows from lowest to highest.

St. Peter
Jesus
Ara Parseghian
God
Charlie Weis

was a wisecrack this morning on sports talk radio up here in Michigan, so don't you baptists get your panties in a twist

JohnnyMack
9/25/2006, 02:04 PM
Ted Ginn isn't even the best WR on his team.

No. Ginn is. You morans simply overreacted to how good he was, put way too much help on his side of the ball and allowed Tressel to outsmart Chizik (which isn't easy to do) by exploiting the fact that no one was covering Gonzalez. Doesn't mean Gonzalez is their best player, just looked that way to you guys.

JohnnyMack
9/25/2006, 02:06 PM
Bill Curry has AD 4th BTW. Behind Ginn and Leak.