PDA

View Full Version : Is this against OU policy?

sooner KB
9/24/2006, 06:53 PM
So I was standing outside of the stadium right before kickoff yesterday, still looking for a ticket. I see a guy with a ticket. It's section 2, row 10, seat 4. He's asking $20. I tell him I don't like to sit that low, and walked off. He stopped me and gave me the ticket for free, since he just wanted to go in.

I decided to go ahead and go in so I don't miss the kickoff. When I get to the gates, the screen reads "Stop! Already Attending" instead of showing the green light to go in. The security guard asked me if I had already gone in. I went to another guard, and the same thing happened, but this one went ahead and let me in anyways.

I figured the guy went into the stadium and then decided he wanted to sell the ticket and came back out. But when I got into the stadium, there was already a woman sitting in the seat. She had the exact ticket I had. The system didn't let me in because that ticket had already been scanned.

As the game went on I realized what probably happened. That ticket is someone's season ticket. He/she sold it to someone, probably online, and transfered the ticket so that the person could pick it up at will call. Meanwhile, he sold the actual ticket he was physically holding to someone else (probably the guy that sold it to me).

This way, the guy makes twice the money. The person that tries to enter the stadium second gets screwed.

Actually, it ended up fine because there were like 5 empty seats on the row above, so I just sat there. I just wanted to ask if this was against some rule, so I could turn this person in. I'm lucky I got let in but the next person might not be.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know if it's against university policy, but I'm pretty sure selling the same item to two different people is fairly illegal by most other sets of laws...

yermom
9/25/2006, 10:53 AM
yeah, or the first set was "lost" in the mail :dean:

i'd tell the ticket office about it, they should know who actually owns the seats

Boomer.....
9/25/2006, 11:22 AM
He did just give you the ticket, so technically he didn't rip anyone off. Something is messed up though.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/25/2006, 02:16 PM
Was it in Section 16? If so Jed's gonna be ****ed

TAFBSooner
9/25/2006, 08:34 PM
The OU ticket office does have an on-line ticket marketplace for season ticket holders. The seller doesn't actually turn in their ticket, but the system invalidates the original ticket and allows the buyer to print out their newly-purchased ticket from their own PC. --- Now, if you both had cardboard tickets, I'm not sure how that works.

The seller agrees on pain of death, or loss of ticket privileges, whichever is worse, not to use or allow anyone to use the original ticket. The seller could be in some degree of trouble if the holder of the original ticket pressed the issue. The seller may even be in some trouble already since the system flashed on the ticket.

If this happens enough to make buyers leery, what happens to the "free market" on the street?

When I applied for season tickets after I graduated in 1978, the form letter that told me I was on a waiting list bemoaned those irresponsible fans that sold to or bought from scalpers, and asked that all true fans abstain from the practice. It looks like they're finally getting their way.:mad:

Yoda: "Control, control, you must learn control."

The Consumate Showman
9/28/2006, 08:51 PM
What irritates me is that OU wants to be a family-friendly environment. What do they call it then when you have ticketmaster and totallytickets and ticketsunlimited standing on the street corners ripping people off as they go to the game? Why not find out who exactly is running things @ these ticket brokers and STOP them from making money off of legit fans. It is rediculous. OU would STILL sell out the stadium without ticket brokers taking up hundreds of tickets...