PDA

View Full Version : Pride selections for OU/TX

SeattleOUstudent
9/24/2006, 05:03 PM
Since there seem to be so many threads about what the Pride plays....what is the Pride going to play for the OU/TX game?

Further, I will post my favorite song the Pride has ever done.

Batman from 3-4 years ago...I know we first played it back in the 90s too. AWESOME rendition and always a crowd favorite.
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Unknown/Batman---Symbol-Print-C11758162.jpeg

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 05:21 PM
According to This post by garland sooner (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1512614&postcount=73) the Texas movie show will be Johnny Quest, Chronicles of Narnia, and Robin Hood.

Johnny Quest could be cool, in a retro/nostalgia sort of way. Chronicles of Narnia had pretty good music from what I recall, although nothing really memorable. Robin Hood is a good piece of music, but I look at it this way: if now, 15 years after that movie came out, that was a movie that people still watch regularly, gets shown on tv a lot, etc. then great, break out the music again. Unfortunately, that was not a movie that has endured particularly well. The movie itself is more or less forgotten at this point, and I'm not sure that bringing that music out for a third go-round is a particularly great idea. Kind of screams "Hey, we can't think of anything newer so let's play Robin Hood again!" to me.

Kind of goes back to my "out of touch with the audience" comment in another thread. ;) Although at least you've got a guaranteed solid closer for the show.

PrideTrombone
9/24/2006, 05:26 PM
Since there seem to be so many threads about what the Pride plays....what is the Pride going to play for the OU/TX game?

Further, I will post my favorite song the Pride has ever done.

Batman from 3-4 years ago...I know we first played it back in the 90s too. AWESOME rendition and always a crowd favorite.
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Unknown/Batman---Symbol-Print-C11758162.jpeg

You're welcome. :) I was in charge of the student committee that picked that show.

jk the sooner fan
9/24/2006, 06:25 PM
i can tell you the older folks up in section 19 went nuts last nite when they played the Sousa march....that got a HUGE ovation

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I actually wouldn't mind seeing them do that once or twice a year. Just not all the time, 'cause there's an Aggie band for that. ;)

jk the sooner fan
9/24/2006, 06:49 PM
i dont think i've ever seen the marching lines more crooked than i did last nite

sooneron
9/24/2006, 06:51 PM
How about Stigmata by Ministry? That would sound sweet!!

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 06:56 PM
i dont think i've ever seen the marching lines more crooked than i did last nite

Yeah, and granted that's the one hard part about that style of marching. The Pride just doesn't practice marching fundamentals like that anymore. We used to spend 20 minutes every day working on 8-to-5, getting the lines straight, snapping turns, high and low mark time, etc. They do almost none of that now, and it shows.

Man, there's a lot of discussion about the Pride this week. I hope the band realizes that enough people care about them to break down their performance almost as much as we criticize the team's play. ;)

Wait, does that mean I'm like a geeky musician version of jkm?

jk the sooner fan
9/24/2006, 07:13 PM
you'll never hear me complain about the pride......they get it started for me in the north end zone.....the drum major this year does the strut really well.....imo

Okla-homey
9/24/2006, 07:37 PM
How about "Oklahoma Hills" made famous by Gene Autry followed by Cher's arrangement of "Halfbreed" and finished up with a rousing rendetion of "Livin' on Tulsa Time?":D

We should embrace the Okie-ness. Use it, like The Force. The wHorns, who don't really understand who they are or where they came from anymore, would be powerless to stop us.

jk the sooner fan
9/24/2006, 07:59 PM
there's a song the 1st Cav Division band plays - i believe its called "hill country"......one of the greatest band songs ever

wish i could find a copy of it somewhere

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2006, 08:02 PM
Ahh great, more reruns.

The Pride is like watching Nick-at-nite these days.

SeattleOUstudent
9/24/2006, 08:32 PM
Ahh great, more reruns.

The Pride is like watching Nick-at-nite these days.

Exactly! Could we get more Blackdog, please?!? :)

OUAndy1807
9/24/2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah, and granted that's the one hard part about that style of marching. The Pride just doesn't practice marching fundamentals like that anymore. We used to spend 20 minutes every day working on 8-to-5, getting the lines straight, snapping turns, high and low mark time, etc. They do almost none of that now, and it shows.

Man, there's a lot of discussion about the Pride this week. I hope the band realizes that enough people care about them to break down their performance almost as much as we criticize the team's play. ;)

Wait, does that mean I'm like a geeky musician version of jkm?

This makes me sad. I remember working on fundamentals until we got them right, even if it meant we didn't practice for the show at all and somehow we still put a new show on the field every week without scrambles between songs as transitions.

Okla-homey
9/24/2006, 09:00 PM
This makes me sad. I remember working on fundamentals until we got them right, even if it meant we didn't practice for the show at all and somehow we still put a new show on the field every week without scrambles between songs as transitions.

Serious question. What's so dueced difficult about learning to march while keeping dress, cover and spacing? I mean, millions of 18 year-olds have been taught to do it by undergoing a couple hours of drill per day in only a couple weeks. Further, millions of these were people who did not necessarily possess the mental stuff to be admitted to a state university. And yes, they are taught to countermarch too.

In the nineteenth century, those same boys were expected to "keep their lines straight" and execute crisply while being shot at even when the guy marching in the next rank had his head explode and brains and bits of skull showered his filemates.

I don't see the big hairy dealio here.:D

OUAndy1807
9/24/2006, 09:03 PM
I've never seen any photographs of the British during the revolutionary war to be able to tell you how straight there lines were;)

I don't think it's a hard skill, they're just trying to beat the apathy out of 18 year olds, which sometimes takes a lot of effort.

Okla-homey
9/24/2006, 09:13 PM
I've never seen any photographs of the British during the revolutionary war to be able to tell you how straight there lines were;)

I don't think it's a hard skill, they're just trying to beat the apathy out of 18 year olds, which sometimes takes a lot of effort.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4170/zzzzzzzzzgrandreviewarmyuu1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
May 1865, and these guys hadn't rehearsed. They had recently been out killing and plundering. They also didn't have the benefit of nice white yard lines, hashmarks and other landmarks. IMHO, if you can't march in straight lines on a flippin' chalked football field you are either a tard or you have not been trained properly.

jk the sooner fan
9/24/2006, 09:44 PM
the 18 year olds are looking at the head in front of them.......the band members are reading sheet music, holding an instrument and trying to keep step to the music.......a bit different

dolemitesooner
9/24/2006, 09:46 PM
There were lamost as good as A&m ...not ...they ****ing suck

Okla-homey
9/24/2006, 09:56 PM
the 18 year olds are looking at the head in front of them.......the band members are reading sheet music, holding an instrument and trying to keep step to the music.......a bit different

Why does that make it tougher? The military guys are holding a rifle and are often required to change its carry while marching. Further, the band guy shouldn't really be trying to sight read his tunes from a score anyway should he? Further, the band guys have drums to help them keep in step don't they? Bass drum strike equals left foot, correct?

OUAndy1807
9/25/2006, 12:34 AM
Why does that make it tougher? The military guys are holding a rifle and are often required to change its carry while marching. Further, the band guy shouldn't really be trying to sight read his tunes from a score anyway should he? Further, the band guys have drums to help them keep in step don't they? Bass drum strike equals left foot, correct?
I wasn't going to push it any further, but since you don't want to let this issue die:
The lines in that picture are not straight and it's far from conclusive whether or not they are marching in time with each other

;)

proud gonzo
9/25/2006, 12:45 AM

it's difficult to dress and cover when you can't see anything but the bell of your instrument...at least that's the difficulty for melophones.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2006, 12:48 AM

Heh. First off, drum parts are WAY more complicated than that now, Homey. Bass drums on every other beat is pretty boring to listen to, and drummers like to show off.

Playing an instrument is about 500 times more complicated than just holding a rifle. And even if you have the music memorized, it's still tough to play it right AND concentrate on all the marching. I mean, unless you log a lot of hours on the instrument, which most of the members don't since they're non-majors, playing the horn is NOT automatic - you have to think about what valve/key/slide position you need, the dynamics, the articulation, where to breathe, where NOT to breathe, holy crap we're going around a corner now, oh **** they just said swing the horns so it looks cool, crap I'm getting ahead of my line, wait how does this part go, etc. etc.

Really, what you're asking wasn't tough for me. I plan to be a professional trombonist, which means I've practiced to the point where playing the horn IS nearly automatic. When I was marching I didn't have to think about the horn, the music, or staying in step, so all I had to worry about was being in the right place. For a lot of the other guys out there it isn't nearly so easy.

NormanPride
9/25/2006, 09:46 AM
:les:EIGHT SETS OF EIGHT!

*groan*

Okla-homey
9/25/2006, 10:20 AM
This college marching band seems to manage to march well and play music at the same time.;)

http://www.citadel.edu/pao/band/regimental_band.shtml

Just saying.