PDA

View Full Version : Hastings on Main

Petro-Sooner
9/24/2006, 02:27 PM
Evidentally is closing. Anyone know if anything else is replacing it? I'll be damed if I shop at blockbuster. :twinkies:

proud gonzo
9/24/2006, 02:54 PM
ok, what exactly is a "hastings"?

Stitch Face
9/24/2006, 03:01 PM
That's sad. I remember when it opened up; that was our place for 49-cent movies throughout college.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 03:02 PM
It's a place you can rent/buy movies, cds, and magazines.

Maybe they'll replace with a store that doesn't try to do too many things, all of which are done better by their competition.

yermom
9/24/2006, 03:05 PM
i love and hate that place

Stitch Face
9/24/2006, 03:09 PM
i love and hate that place

The gargantuan selection of cheap movies for rent was great, but CDs to buy were all, like, $18.99. And we're talkin' 1997 dollars here.

Rhino
9/24/2006, 03:31 PM
I worked there for about three months in college. I quit with 15 others in a two-week period.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

proud gonzo
9/24/2006, 03:33 PM
It's a place you can rent/buy movies, cds, and magazines.

Maybe they'll replace with a store that doesn't try to do too many things, all of which are done better by their competition. oh, you mean like borders and barnes and noble and walmart and best buy and target and blockbuster?

I always thought Hastings was some sort of dumpy grocery store

Viking Kitten
9/24/2006, 04:09 PM
Hastings was awesome when I lived in Norman in 97-99. 49 cent movies with a huge foreign and independent film section, along with a great selection of used CDs and a decent book department.

Of course, that was before Netflix and easily accessible online music and stuff, (not to mention being during the pre-child era when I still had time to read), so I can see how it has sort of outlived its usefulness. Still kind of a bummer when I consider how much time I used to spend in there though.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 04:41 PM
oh, you mean like borders and barnes and noble and walmart and best buy and target and blockbuster?

I always thought Hastings was some sort of dumpy grocery store

No, that's Homeland.

Petro-Sooner
9/24/2006, 04:43 PM
No, that's Homeland.

:D

Boarder
9/24/2006, 04:45 PM
You sure Hastings is closing? That music store right next door (Brook Mays) is closing but i didn't know Hastings was.

Petro-Sooner
9/24/2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe THATS what the sign on the side of the street said. However the Hastings sign on the front of the store was gone. I just ASSumed. My bad.

Boarder
9/24/2006, 05:22 PM
Oh, you could be right. I'm about to go to the Wal Marts. I'll give everyone the down low when I return.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2006, 05:42 PM
The Hastings in Muskogee is pretty nice. They have it fixed up more like a Barnes and Noble w/Video.

Stitch Face
9/24/2006, 06:08 PM
Hastings was awesome when I lived in Norman in 97-99. 49 cent movies with a huge foreign and independent film section, along with a great selection of used CDs and a decent book department.

Of course, that was before Netflix and easily accessible online music and stuff, (not to mention being during the pre-child era when I still had time to read), so I can see how it has sort of outlived its usefulness. Still kind of a bummer when I consider how much time I used to spend in there though.

The foreign section rawked. And they had the entire Twin Peaks on VHS to rent.

LilSooner
9/24/2006, 08:12 PM
Awww, man. That sucks. That was like the place to go after the movies on Saturday nights in high school.

Hey, I'm from Blanchard back off!

UNSeeN_
9/24/2006, 08:58 PM
There should be some kind of Norman Historical Society to keep Hastings from closing! I used to LIVE there at least 2 days a week when new music came out. They were open late too, so it was no thing to leave the dorms and make a Hastings trip. This is terrible news.

Ike
9/24/2006, 10:02 PM
Oh, you could be right. I'm about to go to the Wal Marts. I'll give everyone the down low when I return.

so? This is important...this is where I do my xmas shopping when I go home.

King Crimson
9/24/2006, 10:11 PM
it used to be a Safeway, Norman noobs.

oumartin
9/24/2006, 10:14 PM
todays youth scares me.

SeattleOUstudent
9/24/2006, 11:55 PM
Pretty sure this will be front page material for the Daily Ardmoreite tomorrow.

OUAndy1807
9/25/2006, 12:31 AM
Brooks Mays is closing, it looked like Hastings was just getting a new sign, but I don't know for sure.

PhxSooner
9/25/2006, 12:44 AM
We used to go in to get the free coffee they used to have over in the book section. It probably took 5 or 6 trips to make a full cup, but hey, free.

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2006, 12:47 AM
I loved that Hastings when it opened. I could pick up a movie, grab some new tunes, and pick up a book to read. Best bookstore in town at the time.

PhxSooner
9/25/2006, 12:48 AM
I loved that Hastings when it opened. I could pick up a movie, grab some new tunes, and pick up a book to read. Best bookstore in town at the time.
And that about says it all for Norman in the mid 90s.:mad: :D

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah, well, that's true.

Of course, I could go to the awesome Barnes&Noble kickback store on campus...

Rhino
9/25/2006, 02:01 AM
Haaapppy traiaaaiiils to youuuuuu, until we meet againnnn...

Jimminy Crimson
9/25/2006, 02:16 AM
Haaapppy traiaaaiiils to youuuuuu, until we meet againnnn...

<insert National Anthem here> :cool:

Norm In Norman
9/25/2006, 08:19 AM
Any definite word? I usually get books from there because they are always 10 or 15% off. If Brook Mays is going out - well, I've never been there. Maybe I can get some cheap guitar strings or something.

The
9/25/2006, 09:01 AM
Hastings...survives.
Brook Mays.....OUT OF BUSINESS.

sooneron
9/25/2006, 09:26 AM
Brooks Mays has lasted well beyond my expectations. Their prices were always high. I always liked Hastings as they had a decent techno/dance selection and the cheap cd bin always had a goody or two.

It's weird to think that Hastings was the only "west side" supermarket at one time- then, bam, IGA and Skaggs/Alpha Beta/ Albertson's...

Of course, this was LONG ago.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/25/2006, 10:00 AM
Hastings is renovating. Hastings is cool, when you want something more obscure. I can't exactly get old WWF or WWE PPV's, Seven Samurai's, or anything of remote nature anymore except Ebay and Hastings is easier!

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/25/2006, 10:05 AM
I make me a trip over there about once a month. Just to look for stuff that's usually hard to find or stuff I've never seen.

And then I leave with $200 bucks worth of stuff that I did know about. And some of it I can get other places.

Help me. I'm weak. :eddie:

yermom
9/25/2006, 10:10 AM
thus the "hate" part of my earlier post

IronSooner
9/25/2006, 10:26 AM
Hastings was good for their "listen to anything in the store for 25 cents" policy. Then they quit doing it. Then I quit going. I'm not really sure I ever bought anything there, but it was a good place to check out new CDs and waste time before guitar lessons.

Boarder
9/25/2006, 11:30 AM
I went in last night. They're (Hastings) just remodeling. No closing. It's Brook Mays that's definitely closing. Good. They always acted like they were mad that you were in there and may actually buy something.

jeremy885
9/25/2006, 11:34 AM
I loved Hastings back in college. I kept Braveheart for two months and only owed $8 when i returned it.

I hate Hastings because they took over a month to clear a debit card purchase, which in turn caused me to bounce my first (and only) check.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/25/2006, 02:30 PM
Hastings in Stillwater is really nice. Its the only place to go for movies, they have 4 times as much as blockbuster. I go at least once a week. they sell previously viewed movies, buy 2 get 1 for 1 cent...

The
9/25/2006, 02:43 PM
Plus, it's a good place to pick up gothic-looking teenage girls.
(if yer into that...)

Dio
9/25/2006, 02:52 PM
Brook Mays is teh succ.

handcrafted
9/25/2006, 02:58 PM
Hastings always has a great selection and a lot of older items on deep discount. Even the "new releases" were sometimes really cheap. And they have an EXTENSIVE sf section. I was always kinda underwhelmed by their for-sale movie selection, but the rentals were hard to beat, they had way more stuff than BB ever THOUGHT about carrying.

If I don't get something off Amazon, I usually go to Hastings for it. I only go to B&N if forced to and even then I take some lube for the monetary enema I'm likely to get.

As for Brook Mays, yeah I saw the closing signs yesterday. I've only been in there once, a long time ago, and the luthiers were really cool, fixed my bass and re-strung it for next to nothing. It's kinda sad, Norman needs a really good music store and Norman Music Center is just too small.

Boarder
9/25/2006, 05:06 PM
It's kinda sad, Norman needs a really good music store

They have one. It's Norman Music.

and Norman Music Center is just too small.

What do you want them to have a million things in stock? They can order whatever you want. Have some patience.

Just go up to Guitar Center, look around and play everything, then go to Norman Music to order it.

apusooner
9/25/2006, 06:09 PM

What do you want them to have a million things in stock? They can order whatever you want. Have some patience.

Just go up to Guitar Center, look around and play everything, then go to Norman Music to order it.
you're a good man

the_ouskull
9/25/2006, 07:43 PM
I'm not gonna read through 3 pages to see if someone else already said this...

They're not closing down. They're doing a full-store re-model.

the_ouskull

Sooner98
9/25/2006, 08:45 PM
I always see several strange-looking people whenever I go to Hastings.

handcrafted
9/26/2006, 09:52 AM

GC is just too far away to be convenient. I had a bad experience at Norman music having work done on the aforementioned bass. It's a Fender Jazz, nothing fancy, but they had it a month and didn't do any work on it, when I called them, they said it was ready. When I went to pick it up, it was still in pieces. They told me to come back in a week, I did. They had replaced the bridge, but they put the old faulty pickup back in and handed me the new one in a bag as "the old part". I was fed up and that's when I went to Brook Mays. Took 'em 2 days, good as new.

If I'm in a pinch I'll go to Norman music to get my piano tuned or look for music books, but next time I need guitar or amp work I'll just go to GC and make a weekend out of it. :P

apusooner
9/26/2006, 11:36 AM
thats too bad. i understand why you wouldnt want to go back, but, they had some problems with guitar/electronics guys the past few years. it's really embarrassing. it's hard to find good workers these days.

sooneron
9/26/2006, 11:53 AM
BUT THEY HAVE THE PLEK!!!!