PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Coach BV haters now?

Readyfor8
9/24/2006, 11:53 AM
After a shutout, with 5 forced turnovers, following a game where we held a high powered offense relativly in check and forced 4 turnovers. Can anyone argue that the defense isn't better now than they were in Game 1 vs. UAB?

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 11:58 AM
After a shutout, with 5 forced turnovers, following a game where we held a high powered offense relativly in check and forced 4 turnovers. Can anyone argue that the defense isn't better now than they were in Game 1 vs. UAB?
I was very impressed with the improved play last night by the defense, but this was MTSU. The defensive play was much improved from UAB though, which probably isn't too far ahead of MTSU in the offensive department. The Texas game will be the game to really tell us how much this defense is improved, but I feel much more confident after last night. At least they seemed to be able to tackle in this game.

Sooner-N-KS
9/24/2006, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't say that I'm a BV hater, but this was the weakest team we have played.....probably in a couple of years.

We'll see what happens in the Cotton Bowl. I hope the defense we were expecting prior to the season opener shows up.

I'm very happy with how they played last night, but I'm not yet convinced they know how to tackle a guy running up the middle.

FlatheadSooner
9/24/2006, 12:01 PM
Definately what we all needed to see last night. Here's to hoping that the improvement has officially begun and will continue. :cool:

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 12:02 PM
I've never been a BV hater, but I'll admit I wouldn't mind having Mike back. I like Venables, but his defenses just don't seem to have the same swagger that they had when Mike was there.

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 12:03 PM
Definately what we all needed to see last night. Here's to hoping that the improvement has officially begun and will continue. :cool:
Yea, I miss those games from the good ole days where we blow our opponent out so badly that it's almost boring. I feel a sense of security during those games. That was just what the doctor ordered.:D

Readyfor8
9/24/2006, 12:04 PM
The point isn't that we are great on defense, the point is that we are getting better on defense. And I think that coaching has alot to do with that, this week this defense had every reason to look back at last weeks game, they heard that they were the reason we lost, that they and their coach were whiners, and they are a massive dissappointment.

It would have been easy to not get pumped up for this game, it would have been easy to say lets just show up win and take a week off, but they came out and made a statement.

They aren't great, but they are better. And Coaching is about turning talent into production, this defense is very talented and I think our coaches have made progress into turning that into production.

oumartin
9/24/2006, 12:06 PM
defenses need attitude.. Brents don't seem to have the swagger that mikes defenses had. That being sad they sure seemed to be all over the field last night

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 12:10 PM
It would have been easy to not get pumped up for this game, it would have been easy to say lets just show up win and take a week off, but they came out and made a statement.
I was somewhat surprised at how pumped up they really were. You could tell that they were probably ****ed about something. I wonder what that was?:D

Sooner Eclipse
9/24/2006, 12:17 PM
I was also glad to see the defensive performance yesterday. However, I don't really know that it means that much because of the level of talent we were playing. I think MTSU is considerably worse than UAB.

In MTs first or second offensive possession we gave up a 15 yarder or so right up the middle followed by 2 consecutive 15 yard +/- first down passes. After that we began to shut them down. Pretty reminiscent of the first 3 games. Maybe we are learning to adjust quicker.

I think the first defensive possession in the RRS will set the tone for the rest of that game. If we force a 3 and out, we will probably win. If we give up yards but force a punt or long field goal, games a toss up. But if we give them confidence early with 7, its gonna be a long day.

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 12:22 PM
I was also glad to see the defensive performance yesterday. However, I don't really know that it means that much because of the level of talent we were playing. I think MTSU is considerably worse than UAB.

In MTs first or second offensive possession we gave up a 15 yarder or so right up the middle followed by 2 consecutive 15 yard +/- first down passes. After that we began to shut them down. Pretty reminiscent of the first 3 games. Maybe we are learning to adjust quicker.

I think the first defensive possession in the RRS will set the tone for the rest of that game. If we force a 3 and out, we will probably win. If we give up yards but force a punt or long field goal, games a toss up. But if we give them confidence early with 7, its gonna be a long day.
I think the difference between this year and last year is whether or not our defense plays well, I think we have the offensive stability and experience to keep up the scoring with Texas, provided our O-line can play a decent game

badger
9/24/2006, 12:29 PM
how can you hate this adorable face?
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/VENABLES_BRENT150.JPG

PLaw
9/24/2006, 12:32 PM

Considering the opponent, it's really tough to judge if there was any improvement. In the old days, the OU freshman team would have pitched a shutout against MTSU.

I'm no Venables hater, but I don't drink the "Ain't we great Kool Aid" either. All I know is against big time opponents over the past 25 - 30 games the Sooner D has not come to play and given up an embarrassing amount of points. Moreover, they have allowed some pretty average teams to look like world beaters.

In about thirteen days, we are going to know for sure just what this D is all about. My fear is that Bob doesn't have the balls to do something about the 5th Stoops' brother and it may ultimately be his demise.

Always Boomer Sooner

PalmBeachSooner
9/24/2006, 12:38 PM

It's just one game against the 97th ranked offense in the country, but it's exactly how you would expect the defense to perform. So that is definitely a positive. I still don't feel good about the CB situation. Lendy got burned on two consecutive pass plays who had replaced DJ who replaced Lendy who replaced Reggie who replaced Nic or Darrien who replaced Jason who replaced Reggie when Reggie replaced DJ who replaced somebody. It just goes on and on and on. If we ever settle on a starting defensive backfield then who knows.

DrZaius
9/24/2006, 12:50 PM
I am still here

TheGodfather889
9/24/2006, 12:56 PM
I'm not too fond of Brent Venables. I was very pleased with the game last night. It looked like Oklahoma football again. The defense played well. But keep in mind it was Middle Tennessee State. If the defense can turn it around completely and play the way they were hyped up to be, I'll get off Brent Venables back.

SelmaBamaFan
9/24/2006, 12:58 PM
Our kicker looked good against ULM too :D

Soonermagik
9/24/2006, 12:58 PM
I don't hate Venables, but we played middle tennese state dude!!!! My only gripe on defense is we need to play a bit more man, because we give up a lot of free yardage. We have superior athletes to most teams we play, so we should take advantage of that. Just keep a safety back in case of a bust.

Ash
9/24/2006, 01:04 PM
I'm not too fond of Brent Venables. I was very pleased with the game last night. It looked like Oklahoma football again. The defense played well. But keep in mind it was Middle Tennessee State. If the defense can turn it around completely and play the way they were hyped up to be, I'll get off Brent Venables back.

Who cares about hype.

I'd just like to see this kind of intensity and play-making against quality opponents. Continued improvement the rest of the year. Fewer busted assignments, better tackling.

TripleOption14
9/24/2006, 01:25 PM
I don't hate BV at all!! However, let's not use the MTSU game as a measuring stick by the same token! As i said in another post Mount Union could beat MTSU. Last nights game told you NOTHING about this D except that they can push around a team w/ FAR less talent.

OklahomaSooners
9/24/2006, 01:54 PM
How do you pitch less than a shutout? Yes it was MTS!!! Statistically they were 11th in total defense I think. I also know that stats can be made into whatever you want them to mean. Point is we moved the ball very well and the defense was finally flying aroung like their helmets were on fire, that is an improvement that cant be denied by anyone that watched the game. Now we have the Texicans, lets see if we can keep up the intensity, If its enough we will see!!!! Boomer Sooner!!!

Jackal
9/24/2006, 01:56 PM

Yes, MTSU basically sux............I'm afraid that this performance might give them confidence they shouldn't have in stopping Texas. Our D-line scares the hell out of me and their inability to get off blocks and penetrate.

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 02:09 PM
Yes, MTSU basically sux............I'm afraid that this performance might give them confidence they shouldn't have in stopping Texas. Our D-line scares the hell out of me and their inability to get off blocks and penetrate.
Ditto, I miss the days of Dvoracek, Harris, and Cody.

soonerhubs
9/24/2006, 02:45 PM
Someone needs to find a way to anger our D-line. Any ideas on how to tick them off?

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 03:27 PM
Someone needs to find a way to anger our D-line. Any ideas on how to tick them off?

Tell them we're taking away their brand-new Tickle Me Elmos.

Rhino
9/24/2006, 03:29 PM
In case you missed it, MTSU isn't very good.

That said, our defense did everything it needed to do.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 03:31 PM
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/nurshad/silky_johnson1.jpg

sooner996
9/24/2006, 03:35 PM
The point isn't that we are great on defense, the point is that we are getting better on defense. And I think that coaching has alot to do with that, this week this defense had every reason to look back at last weeks game, they heard that they were the reason we lost, that they and their coach were whiners, and they are a massive dissappointment.

They aren't great, but they are better. And Coaching is about turning talent into production, this defense is very talented and I think our coaches have made progress into turning that into production.

Brent??

goingoneight
9/24/2006, 04:08 PM
BV was a big part of OUr dominant defenses of the earlier days, so I don't think anyone who realizes this hates him, they just notice the obvious slippage we've seen since Mike and his crew left. I wouldn't use Middle Tennessee State as an example of how "good" we're going to be... That's like aggy bragging about being 4-0 against High School teams... oh, wait... they were the first BIG 12 team to ever lose to Houston last night, my bad... :D

jrsooner
9/24/2006, 04:51 PM
The point isn't that we are great on defense, the point is that we are getting better on defense. And I think that coaching has alot to do with that, this week this defense had every reason to look back at last weeks game, they heard that they were the reason we lost, that they and their coach were whiners, and they are a massive dissappointment.The point is that the defense shouldn't have fallen to a point where we have to say "we are getting better on defense". I don't have anything against him, but I can see a definately constant weakening pattern over the years since he's been fully in charge.

jrsooner
9/24/2006, 05:03 PM
how can you hate this adorable face?
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/VENABLES_BRENT150.JPGIs it just me...or can Thomas Haden Church actually pass as his twin or brother??? :)
http://im.rediff.com/movies/2005/nov/07poster.jpg

Socrefbek
9/24/2006, 05:08 PM
I think I will reserve judgement on if they are getting better until after the RRS. This was a directional school for cryin' out loud. :cool:

Zbird
9/24/2006, 05:40 PM

And we were playing? Middle Popcorn U

Readyfor8
9/24/2006, 05:48 PM

Read what I am typing for the third time.

I'm not saying we are great, I am saying we are better.

Someone pointed out that it was the 97th ranked offense in the nation. Guess what? In the first game we played the current 110th offense in the nation by points and gave up 300+ yards and 17 points. In our 4th game we played athe 97th ranked offense in the nation by points and gave up less than 100 yards 0 points.

How can you argue that the defense isn't better today than it was 4 games ago?

Stitch Face
9/24/2006, 06:01 PM
I'm sure there are still BV haters out there, but with modern antibiotics it's just not something to get that worked up over.

http://familydoctor.org/234.xml

r5TPsooner
9/24/2006, 06:52 PM
umm, high powered?

If you say so.

usmc-sooner
9/24/2006, 06:57 PM
Read what I am typing for the third time.

I'm not saying we are great, I am saying we are better.

Someone pointed out that it was the 97th ranked offense in the nation. Guess what? In the first game we played the current 110th offense in the nation by points and gave up 300+ yards and 17 points. In our 4th game we played athe 97th ranked offense in the nation by points and gave up less than 100 yards 0 points.

How can you argue that the defense isn't better today than it was 4 games ago?

exactly, take for instance the fact that I went out and stomped the living crap out of my neighbor's 12 year old son, how can you argue that I'm not tougher now than I was 3 weeks ago.

You're supposed to get better as the season goes on. I don't see where you're going with this.

That being said other than about 4 plays we couldn't have played any better last night.

Readyfor8
9/24/2006, 07:05 PM
exactly, take for instance the fact that I went out and stomped the living crap out of my neighbor's 12 year old son, how can you argue that I'm not tougher now than I was 3 weeks ago.

You're supposed to get better as the season goes on. I don't see where you're going with this.

That being said other than about 4 plays we couldn't have played any better last night.

My point is that before this game on Thursday and Friday people were saying that Coach Venebles wasn't doing his job. I have said all along that the defense needs time to gel, and I think they have or are real close to it.

Alot of people said Coach Venebles was "switching players to save his job" and the Reggie Smith move worked out well in my opinion. The Defensive Line had far more talent than they were showing the first 3 games and last night they finally dominated the LOS.

This is really a thread pointed directly at anyone who thinks Brent Venebles should be fired at the end of this year. Some have said as much and I would like them to defend that statement.

usmc-sooner
9/24/2006, 07:47 PM
My point is that before this game on Thursday and Friday people were saying that Coach Venebles wasn't doing his job. I have said all along that the defense needs time to gel, and I think they have or are real close to it.

Alot of people said Coach Venebles was "switching players to save his job" and the Reggie Smith move worked out well in my opinion. The Defensive Line had far more talent than they were showing the first 3 games and last night they finally dominated the LOS.

This is really a thread pointed directly at anyone who thinks Brent Venebles should be fired at the end of this year. Some have said as much and I would like them to defend that statement.

well to answer your question I think if it takes the DC 4 games to decide who should be playing where, there's a problem. There is not one player on that D who hasn't been here for 2 years, yet we're blaming Wolfe, then Holmes, Clayton, now Carter.
I've been a Sooner fan way too long than to rest my hat on we are improving, we used to dominate, OU has a history of defense. Not just defense but dominating defense and this goes back before my time. Back to a time of Selmon's, Cumby's, Shoate's, Elrod's Rick Bryan's, Dante Jone's, Brian Bosworth's etc. I refuse to lower my expectations. You know before the game when they have the little "There's only one Oklahoma"

I think we have the talent and the coaches to be better, and it showed on Saturday.

arlington
9/24/2006, 07:48 PM
If using a Sunbelt team is our measuring stick, then we are not the program that i think we are..Yes last night was fun to watch but please, we always ride Horn fans for there exuberance after they beat up the ULALAs of the world so lets not start that ourselves...Against a legitimate D1 team, we are no closer to knowing if our tackles can stop getting pushed back into our backers than we were last week and i still feel the coaches constant meddling is a negative for our young guys on D..Remember how out of sorts our Offense looked last year with the rotating line and QB from last year? Well the same is happening with our D, thus we have alot of players playing with no confidence and without confidence+no swagger..Moving our best corner to safety is a flat out awful coaching decision that i hope we can overcome..I like BV, but i love my Sooners more..

MamaMia
9/24/2006, 08:04 PM
What was their offense ranked?

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 08:48 PM
What was their offense ranked?
I don't know about that, but did anyone else catch their little defensive fact prior to last night's game? Going into that game, MTSU was 11th in the country in total defense. Yea, right:rolleyes:

BigDeezy
9/24/2006, 09:28 PM
You asked where are all the Coach BV haters now? They are biding their time. They will be back in a couple weeks, after Texas. Look for them to be in full force then.

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 09:31 PM
You asked where are all the Coach BV haters now? They are bidding their time. They will be back in a couple weeks, after Texas.
Those are strong words.

BigDeezy
9/24/2006, 09:39 PM
Those are strong words.

Don't you know, that's how it works with many fans. You are always just one game from being torn up one side and down another. I've seen it happen too often, and it won't surprise me when it happens again.

Desert Sapper
9/24/2006, 10:03 PM
High powered offense? Huh? This is a SUN BELT team we're talking about.

Actually, I think he was talking about Oregon. I think they're number 7. We gave up a ton of yards, but held the ducks to 10 points in 51 minutes. Take away a few blown assignments a the beginning and end of the game (due mostly to inexperience or poor tackling and not wrapping up), and we thoroughly dominate them. This D needs a solid 4 quarters against a real football team to reestablish themselves. They played 4 quarters this past week...it just happened to be against Directional State U.

TXBOOMER
9/24/2006, 10:20 PM
I don't hate BV..I like him as a Co-DECO with Mike. It won't be long and AZ will figure out you need to score more than 3 points a game to beat a good team and Mike will be available. There was several plays in that game last night where OUr D did not maintain gap control. The safeties did a good job cheating up on run support. Please don't be cocky over a good D game against MTSU. That is a terrible team. The test comes against texassss. I hope to give BV an A+ after that game.

Readyfor8
9/24/2006, 11:46 PM
Some of you expect way way too much from a defense that has 10 sophmores and freshmen on the two deep. This was damn near a perfect game, and still you people aren't happy.

Is MTSU a good team, or even an average team? No. Although they will still probably be bowl eligibal considering they play in a terrible conference and they only have to win 4 more games.

Anyone who says BV hasn't done his job this year is wrong, it's as simple as that. We are the 40th ranked scoring defense in the country right now which after 4 games is less than accurate but better than what some on this board were saying a few games ago about being the worst in the BigXII.

horninokc
9/25/2006, 12:00 AM

Feeling good after beating Middle Tennessee High? About the same as UNT for us. Speaking of UAB, did you notice Georgia destroyed them?

And Oregon had 500+ yards. That is holding them "in check?"

Damn, I am really looking forward to adding the second game onto the next Texas streak in this series.

Readyfor8
9/25/2006, 12:04 AM
Feeling good after beating Middle Tennessee High? About the same as UNT for us. Speaking of UAB, did you notice Georgia destroyed them?

And Oregon had 500+ yards. That is holding them "in check?"

Damn, I am really looking forward to adding the second game onto the next Texas streak in this series.

How many shutouts has texas had this year? I mean teams you shut out not that almost shut you out.

Ask mack to try and show up next time his team plays a OOC opponent from a BCS conference in Austin.

horninokc
9/25/2006, 12:37 AM
How many shutouts has texas had this year? I mean teams you shut out not that almost shut you out.

Ask mack to try and show up next time his team plays a OOC opponent from a BCS conference in Austin.

Looking for your point but having no luck. UNT and Rice score late on a defense of non-scholarship and scout team players. Yeah, should have done better against tOSU, but I think they would have scored a hundred on your D.

I just pray he leaves the starters in against your team.

Readyfor8
9/25/2006, 12:40 AM
You wont have to pray, they will still be in there trying to score late in the game and being unsuccessful.

Desert Sapper
9/25/2006, 02:04 AM
I just pray he leaves the starters in against your team.

Nah. Jevan Snead will be in sometime before the half. Partly due to McCoy's turnovers and partly because Ruuufus knocks him the f*** OUt.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2004/10/11/20041010204358.jpeg

Even Captain Wonderlic feared the RUUUUU...:D