PDA

View Full Version : Watched UT play today

william_brasky
9/24/2006, 02:02 AM
Our guys up front on both sides of the ball better bring their lunch, or we'll be in for a long day.

Not being negative, just sayin'.

I'm already pumped up about this game.

King Crimson
9/24/2006, 02:03 AM
naw, they are gonna be tough for us on both sides of the LOS.

Blue
9/24/2006, 02:05 AM
If we bring our A to B game, we win handily. I have a good feeling about this game.

Our D> ut O

Our O = ut D

william_brasky
9/24/2006, 02:10 AM
The jury's still out on our D.

Let's hope today's showing is a sign of things to come.

daMentor
9/24/2006, 02:22 AM
The jury's still out on our D.

Let's hope today's showing is a sign of things to come.
Yep, I agree our D is still a ? mark. Our O on the other hand is playing well. I know we can score points against them. I'm just not sure the D can hold them to few enough points for us to win. We'll see.

noobalicious
9/24/2006, 02:57 AM
The good thing I like about our D over the past 6 quarters of football is that we're forcing turnovers like crazy now. Even against the Ducks, we gave up a lot of yards, but we forced a lot of turnovers. I think that bodes well against middle schooler Colt McCoy.

I think it will be a pretty good game, but in the end I just don't think that Texas is as explosive as it was when they had Vince Young. Plus, I like the fact we have two weeks to prepare for the game. If we come out and play physical...our D will make enough plays to keep the game in reach and the O has too many playmakers to be shut down.

Desert Sapper
9/24/2006, 04:27 AM
The good thing I like about our D over the past 6 quarters of football is that we're forcing turnovers like crazy now. Even against the Ducks, we gave up a lot of yards, but we forced a lot of turnovers. I think that bodes well against middle schooler Colt McCoy.

I think it will be a pretty good game, but in the end I just don't think that Texas is as explosive as it was when they had Vince Young. Plus, I like the fact we have two weeks to prepare for the game. If we come out and play physical...our D will make enough plays to keep the game in reach and the O has too many playmakers to be shut down.

I really hope OUr D had its coming out party tonight. From the radio broadcast it sounded like we were knocking the silly out of MTSU, which is light years from where we started the season on D. We may not want to admit it, but both UW and Oregon had much better QBs than we will face in Dallas. It's even possible that Jonathan Stewart is as good or better than anybody Texas has. Charles, Young, and Melton are all good, but methinks Mr. Stewart is better. It may come down to OUr tackling. I would hate to think we might regress in OUr bye week and start whiffing, playing out of position, not maintaining situational awareness, etc. OUr O is pretty close to there. OUr D still has to put together 4 full quarters against a competitive opponent. Playing all out for 4 quarters this week was a big step.

OUr O completely torched what had been the #11 Total D in the nation tonight.

FormerSoonerProf
9/24/2006, 06:31 AM
You are right... Many of us really wonder what happened to the defense. Hope they come together as a unit instead of looking like bumbling idiots in their tackling. I miss those days when the OU defense used to be such an intimidating force!!!! And with that "we'll sock it to ya" attitude. Something is missing...................?

I really hope OUr D had its coming out party tonight. From the radio broadcast it sounded like we were knocking the silly out of MTSU, which is light years from where we started the season on D. We may not want to admit it, but both UW and Oregon had much better QBs than we will face in Dallas. It's even possible that Jonathan Stewart is as good or better than anybody Texas has. Charles, Young, and Melton are all good, but methinks Mr. Stewart is better. It may come down to OUr tackling. I would hate to think we might regress in OUr bye week and start whiffing, playing out of position, not maintaining situational awareness, etc. OUr O is pretty close to there. OUr D still has to put together 4 full quarters against a competitive opponent. Playing all out for 4 quarters this week was a big step.

OUHOMER
9/24/2006, 06:54 AM
if the D can find away to put pressure on McCoy I think we Win. that might be a big IF.

instigator
9/24/2006, 07:03 AM
You are right... Many of us really wonder what happened to the defense. Hope they come together as a unit instead of looking like bumbling idiots in their tackling. I miss those days when the OU defense used to be such an intimidating force!!!! And with that "we'll sock it to ya" attitude. Something is missing...................?
Insert Mike Stoopes reference here. :D

sooner-n-ga
9/24/2006, 07:10 AM
fooled by our defense's play yesterday against a pitiful MTS team.

The D gave up 14 points in how many seconds against the only decent team we played ? Yes, I know about the bad calls, but part of the blame needs to be put on the defense !

UAB score 17 and was in the game for all 4 qtrs. Georgia beat these guys something like 37-0 last week with a freshman QB statrting.

This defense needs to improve in all area's and they had better do it soon.

PLaw
9/24/2006, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=noobalicious]The good thing I like about our D over the past 6 quarters of football is that we're forcing turnovers like crazy now. Even against the Ducks, we gave up a lot of yards, but we forced a lot of turnovers. I think that bodes well against middle schooler Colt McCoy./QUOTE]

Last six quarters?? The 4th qtr in quack-land was an atrocity and 4 against bi-directional TSU is about like playing a good 5A high school club?

The coaching on the D-side of the ball has sucked hind tit in big games ever since the Big 12 Championhsip whipping by ksu. Rufus and the boys have been playing like doofusses - out of position and arm tackling. In my mind, that's just plain old poor coaching.

We have the athletes, but I don't think anybody fears our D. I don't know how much difference there is between the 5th ranked and 9th ranked DB HS recruit. Every one of them were HS blue chippers. I just feel bad that they aren't getting the coaching.

I long for the day when I hear Bowden say "We couldn't figure out where they were coming from". If these kids don't start tackling and playing sound assigment football and Vendables can't develop a solid game plan and make on field adjustments, then we are in for another trip to the wood shed.

I think our O will be okay. PT has shown enough that if they put 8 and 9 in the box, then they are going to pay.

I'm praying for a miricle, but after making UAB, WU, and UO look like world beaters I'm predicting t-sips 31 / SOONERS 17. Just have to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

I hope to hell I'm wrong.

ALWAYS BOOMER SOONER

tbl
9/24/2006, 08:08 AM
I long for the day when I hear Bowden say "We couldn't figure out where they were coming from".
What a great line... I long as well. Actually I yearn.

jrsooner
9/24/2006, 08:24 AM
Yep, I agree our D is still a ? mark. Our O on the other hand is playing well. I know we can score points against them. I'm just not sure the D can hold them to few enough points for us to win. We'll see.They did play well last night, but it was against MTS. That's just like texas playing well against Rice and North Texas. texas' only real challenge was Ohio State, and they got stomped in their own backyard.

Personally, I think the upcoming game is 50/50. Anyone has a shot. Our defense will have to take it up a notch if they can. I say probably in 2 weeks texas gets their second biggest challenge this year.

Jackal
9/24/2006, 08:49 AM
I think our D-line has been horrible, I dunno how much tweaking the secondary is going to help that. They have been getting owned up front and Texas's O-line are a bunch of man beasts.

Texas will beat us, this doesn't mean I am not a fan........it means I am a realistic fan that knows our weaknesses will be our downfall. I will always pray for a miracle tho.
Hook em

sooner518
9/24/2006, 09:09 AM
Texas has some good WR's, who bail McCoy out alot of the time. Their lines are really good though. We need to confuse McCoy into making some mistakes and the secondary needs to punish him when he makes mediocre passes, because he will. That said, Texas will, and probably should be favored to win, but I think we have a good shot at beating them.

william_brasky
9/24/2006, 09:14 AM
I think our D-line has been horrible, I dunno how much tweaking the secondary is going to help that. They have been getting owned up front and Texas's O-line are a bunch of man beasts.

that's what scares me.

if our d-line can't hold their own for 4 quarters, we'll be in big doo doo. if we stop the run, we'll be alright. make little boy mccoy beat us, not their running game.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/24/2006, 09:16 AM
i really like our matchup at WR against their CBs...It will be interesting to see if Texas plays 8/9 in the box....If they do expect Kelly to blow up on them

oumartin
9/24/2006, 09:22 AM
you guys are foolin' yourselves if you don't think McCoy is not a good mobile and accurate QB. He looked very good yesterday.

auto
9/24/2006, 09:27 AM
you guys are foolin' yourselves if you don't think McCoy is not a good mobile and accurate QB. He looked very good yesterday.

except for the int and fumble:D

oumartin
9/24/2006, 09:31 AM
well okay, cept those type things ;)

MojoRisen
9/24/2006, 10:10 AM
Butt Boy Mccoy is in for a world of hurt- 2 weeks to prepare for Saxet for Stoops is spelling doom for Mack B- We need to throw the kitchen sink at them and intemidate MCCOY to realize that this is the Red River Shoot Out and he better duck...

sooners00
9/24/2006, 10:23 AM
McCoy is as good as it gets for a Red Shirt Freshmen.

Bomar never showed the poise and ability to make smart decisions in his redshirt freshmen year like McCoy has done.

If hes Texas's biggest weakness on offense then the defense better pack a lunch.

BIG_IKE
9/24/2006, 10:31 AM

Keep in mind that #11 Defense had not beat a 1A school.
I think we have a great chance, but assuming it's gonna be anything NEAr being easy is foolish.

josh09
9/24/2006, 10:40 AM
i have confidence in our O line for the game. and i think our D is starting to perform more up to their pre-season standard now.

BIG_IKE
9/24/2006, 10:44 AM
The thing that bothers me abotu 2 weeks off, is that players might lose a bit of the gameday rhythm. You know, the full contact hitting etc...the gamelike situations. I'm sure Stoops will compensate for it. I honestly think Texas weakness is a mental one. If we can keep momentum and put them in their rightful place we'll be good.

McCoy on the other hand...is not as bad as we make him out to be. In fact he has a 68% Completion rate and a 164 efficiency rating, whihc is actually better than ENA's. I also noticed that he is alot faster than Applewhite or Simms. However, he is young and if we can get him rattled we can cause alot of problems.

But like everyone else said...if we win in the trenches we win the game. I like ou receivers on their DB's, but that's IF Ena has enough time. I did not like the way Texas front 7 was manhandling ISU's O-line. Meyer did not have much time at all, but he made the best of it. Hopefully our O-Line is better than the Cyclones.

Partial Qualifier
9/24/2006, 10:48 AM
Two things in our favor: Colt might be an occaisional scrambler but they're not going to run him much, if at all. Our defense can count on that.

And don't forget: Greg Davis minus Vince Young plus Stoops defense has historically equaled a very long day for the Texas offense ........factor in with 2 weeks to gameplan ....

GD - VY + S (prep x2) = OU 'w' .. book it ;)

FlatheadSooner
9/24/2006, 11:54 AM
McCoy is as good as it gets for a Red Shirt Freshmen.

Bomar never showed the poise and ability to make smart decisions in his redshirt freshmen year like McCoy has done.

Oh, what a difference an OL can make. :rolleyes: ;)

OKC-SLC
9/24/2006, 12:17 PM
This game will be lost or won at the line of scrimmage; i think it's as simple as that.

Their O-line is outstanding, and our D-line has been suspect.

Our O-line has shown a tendency toward succitude. Their D-line has been pretty solid.

We're going to have to play better than we have been playing at the LOS, and we're going to have to open up the playbook a bit. I think both of these things can happen, and a big part of me thinks they will.

Pepper
9/24/2006, 12:32 PM
Colt McCoy looked like he threw to a covered receiver (usually Sweed) quite a bit. One of his TD's, Sweed has 2 ISU defenders right there. That works out OK when you play a bad team, but I think our D is good enough to make him pay with a couple of INTs if he does that against us.

Other than that, they look very good. Our advantages I think are quarterback, running back, punt returner, FG kicker, and coach. And another thing working in our favor is level of competition. So far our SOS is 10, UT is 62. I think we have gotten better by playing a couple of PAC10 teams.

westcoast_sooner
9/24/2006, 12:59 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, that they talked about on the UT game yesteday was the lack of depth and the number of injuries that they've had. Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to that, so I don't know if they are really beat up, and if some of their kids will play.

We absolutely need to get pressure on McCoy. He'll make mistakes if we do. But we also need to stop their running game.

McCoy isn't Fumbles McScrambles with a higher IQ, but he made some plays against ISU. Our DTs have to play better than they have, and so does our secondary.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2006, 03:07 PM
Butt Boy Mccoy is in for a world of hurt- 2 weeks to prepare for Saxet for Stoops is spelling doom for Mack B- We need to throw the kitchen sink at them and intemidate MCCOY to realize that this is the Red River Shoot Out and he better duck...Well said-good attitude!

Desert Sapper
9/24/2006, 08:26 PM
Keep in mind that #11 Defense had not beat a 1A school.

They beat Florida International, which (believe it or not) is a 1A school. Not a good one, but 1A. A few weeks ago, I watched a little of that game and it looked like two HS teams playing. I knew we would likely lay a smackdown on MTSU. The fact that it was the worst beat down in 70 years for MTSU is still kind of big.

The margin of defeat was Middle Tennessee's largest since moving to Division I-A in 1999. Only a 69-0 loss to Vanderbilt in 1926 and a 70-7 loss at Murray State in 1933 were more lopsided.

I in no way wish to suggest that 'it's gonna be anything NEAr being easy'. As I stated before, I feel 'OUr D still has to put together 4 full quarters against a competitive opponent. Playing all out for 4 quarters this week was a big step'. We needed a game to remake the swagger. We haven't done this to anybody in 2 years.

I feel like OUr O is right there. If they can keep from making any big mental errors against the whorns, PT can have a big game. I'm pretty sure AD will come OUt ready to pimp slap the Whorns, given that he didn't want to leave the MTSU game and it is likely his last RRS. He is a mushroom cloud layin' muthaf***a, muthaf***a.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/mbcrain25/adpulp.jpg