PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who watched OU/MTS game today?

OUinFLA
9/23/2006, 11:17 PM
I couldnt tell much from the Internet broadcast...........well, listening to BBSr, I couldnt tell much at all, come to think of it.

How did the new defensive backfield alignment work out?
Or, was it too much of an overmatch to determine?

critical_phil
9/23/2006, 11:25 PM
Or, was it too much of an overmatch to determine?

yes

Rhino
9/23/2006, 11:27 PM
Too much of an overmatch to really determine.

Lendy misplayed a couple pursuits early and Wolfe took his place. Then Wolfe missed a couple tackles. They both had some good plays on breakups, but you can't really tell how they did in a game like this.

mikeb
9/23/2006, 11:31 PM
Too much of a mismatch.......

Paperclip
9/23/2006, 11:31 PM
Well, Lendy got abused on two consecutive plays. DJ came in and apparently scared the MTSU coaches into calling a run play which ended up with a lost fumble. The next pass to that side of the field ended up with Latimer rumblin', bumblin', stumblin' into the end zone.
They did throw at DJ some in the 2nd half and he seemed (from my end zone vantage point) to play pretty well. Played some tighter coverage and did well.
But yes, MTSU just isn't very good.

Snrfn4ever08
9/23/2006, 11:32 PM
yea, mtsu really kinda took suck to a whole different level. obviously the only reason they had the 11th ranked total defense coming into this game is because of playing people like tennessee tech. i couldn't tell much from this game, but i'm still not sure i like the idea of moving reggie to corner. it will help the run game, but if our corners don't play well, the move didn't get us anywhere

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2006, 11:32 PM
i dont like reggie at safety because that means we have to play lendy or dj...sorry but i have zero confidence in either of them

Snrfn4ever08
9/23/2006, 11:38 PM
i dont like reggie at safety because that means we have to play lendy or dj...sorry but i have zero confidence in either of them
same here. the move is fine if our corners play well, but that's a big if

Paperclip
9/23/2006, 11:40 PM

Who would you rather play safety?

Blue
9/23/2006, 11:41 PM
same here. the move is fine if our corners play well, but that's a big if

That's why you're not a coach. I trust their decisions.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2006, 11:41 PM
williams and harris

Rhino
9/23/2006, 11:48 PM
I just don't like the constant flip-flopping of where Smith is going to play.

I'm afraid they're going to move Smith back to corner in a couple weeks and continue to mess with the backfield. The constant meddling in the backfield especially with inexperienced kids (Harris, Holmes, heck even Wolfe) is never a good thing. They can't get any confidence in their abilities if they constantly worried about getting benched when they screw up.

Snrfn4ever08
9/23/2006, 11:57 PM
I just don't like the constant flip-flopping of where Smith is going to play.

I'm afraid they're going to move Smith back to corner in a couple weeks and continue to mess with the backfield. The constant meddling in the backfield especially with inexperienced kids (Harris, Holmes, heck even Wolfe) is never a good thing. They can't get any confidence in their abilities if they constantly worried about getting benched when they screw up.
yea, we can't expect the team to really start to jell until we get some consistency in the positions. shoot, maybe we could play reggie at safety and corner at the same time, god knows he's fast enough:D

SoonerMajic
9/24/2006, 12:23 AM
My 8 year old girl is a better tackler than Wiliams.

I think it is a good idea to put Reggie at safety because he is much more physical and a better tackler than anyone else we have.

We seemed to have more quaterback pressure tonight by blitz than in the past.

Walker, Holmes and Wolfe will keep coming along at corner.

I like the shake up in the secondary.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2006, 12:35 AM
Well, we've gotta beat the whorns this year to get things right again. If we falter, I'll probably pull for tOSU, 'cause I think they're the only team with a good shot at beating the suc or domer(God forbid domer gets to the title game-the media hype would be unfathomable)
I'm just sick of Notre Dame. Actually, I'm in "pigskin shock" about how the media went TOTALLY OFF on the Domers and their win over Mich State. The ESPN guys were slobbering while giving accolades to everything domer, and that they are on a certain path to a BCS bowl, even if they lose to suc at the end of regular season.

Scott D
9/24/2006, 12:38 AM
yea, mtsu really kinda took suck to a whole different level. obviously the only reason they had the 11th ranked total defense coming into this game is because of playing people like tennessee tech. i couldn't tell much from this game, but i'm still not sure i like the idea of moving reggie to corner. it will help the run game, but if our corners don't play well, the move didn't get us anywhere

yet that's where he's played every game this season :rolleyes:

rhombic21
9/24/2006, 12:38 AM
I noticed that Smith was manned up on WRs quite a bit even at safety (which is common in OU's schemes). In many ways, he's still playing Corner on a lot of plays, only he's guarding the slot receiver.

DJ and Lendy are both a notch below Smith and Walker, but both are significant improvements over Carter/Clayton in coverage. Given how much we play with our safeties manned up on the slot, it's really important that our SS have good cover skills. It also allows us to move Smith around a little bit, and get him in a position where he can be involved in more plays.

But yeah, MTSU was terrible. There's absolutely no way you can evaluate this game. Offensively you can't even evaluate all that much, because it was apparent that MTSU was essentially making it their sole goal to keep AD from racking up huge yards against their defense - Paul could basically complete passes downfield at will. And it seemed like the OU coaches were running a very basic scheme on offense with Texas coming up next, which makes it very hard to evaluate our run blocking. MTSU was sending everybody at the run, and we never really tried a lot of misdirection, and seemed content to run the stretch play even though it wasn't being blocked very well.

Frozen Sooner
9/24/2006, 12:42 AM
The secondary played better today than they have. While it WAS a huge mismatch, the defensive backs were in position to make plays much better than they were against a similar opponent in UAB. DJ made a couple of nice plays on the ball.

There was some I was watching the game with who were opining the major reason for moving Smith to FS was so that he could adjust coverage calls as needed. There might be some merit to that. He's certainly a very heady player.

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 12:16 PM
yet that's where he's played every game this season :rolleyes:
you caught my mistake. my bad

stoopified
9/24/2006, 12:27 PM
yea, we can't expect the team to really start to jell until we get some consistency in the positions. shoot, maybe we could play reggie at safety and corner at the same time, god knows he's fast enough:D
Shhh,thats what we are ging to do.In a hush-hush experiment OU has had Reggie cloned.Our secondary is now going to be ALL-Reggie,all the time.

Snrfn4ever08
9/24/2006, 02:32 PM
Shhh,thats what we are ging to do.In a hush-hush experiment OU has had Reggie cloned.Our secondary is now going to be ALL-Reggie,all the time.
dude, how awesome would that be?!?!?!?!?:D :D :D