PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma State has a better band than OU.

oumartin
9/23/2006, 09:17 PM
and its just their pep band!

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2006, 09:26 PM
Ouch.

Penguin
9/23/2006, 09:28 PM
When your fight song is freaking circus music, then you'll usually sound good.

Everytime I hear that stupid song, I'm looking for the elephants to come walking in.

oumartin
9/23/2006, 09:29 PM
they were playin' oklahoma O.k.

monty
9/23/2006, 09:32 PM
Oh no...nobody plays Oklahoma unless it's us. We should trademark the song AND state.

soonersweetie
9/23/2006, 09:34 PM
agreed, it's called the Sooner state for a reason. They don't call it the cowboy or aggie state

Boomer Sooner

Penguin
9/23/2006, 09:37 PM
they were playin' oklahoma O.k.

Never heard of it. Could you hum a few bars?

Ardmore_Sooner
9/23/2006, 09:43 PM
When your fight song is freaking circus music, then you'll usually sound good.

Everytime I hear that stupid song, I'm looking for the elephants to come walking in.

Elephants? I'm looking for bears riding tricycles and clowns back flipping!

Jerk
9/23/2006, 09:48 PM
Martin, this is blasphemy!!!

Repent now!

oumartin
9/23/2006, 09:50 PM
I am not proud to say it but the Pride has fallen on hard times.. Could be the leadership.

SoonerMom2
9/23/2006, 10:11 PM
The OU band looked and sounded great tonight especially on their last song when they showed the fans the Aggie band of A&M isn't the only band that can do the block drill. At least all of OU's band play instruments unlike the Texas Aggie band where a lot of members can only march. One of our neighbors in TX was in the Aggie band which is where we learned that not all of them play but they can march. They also do the same drill at every game. Living around Aggie fans in TX was a pain.

There is no way that Okie State band will ever look better than OU but then I really don't like circus songs for a fight song either -- wimpy.

Even in a down year the Okie State band cannot beat The Pride. Now the real OSU band from Columbus is a whole different story -- they are awesome.

oumartin
9/23/2006, 10:12 PM
huh?

Paperclip
9/23/2006, 10:39 PM
The OU band looked and sounded great tonight especially on their last song when they showed the fans the Aggie band of A&M isn't the only band that can do the block drill. At least all of OU's band play instruments unlike the Texas Aggie band where a lot of members can only march. One of our neighbors in TX was in the Aggie band which is where we learned that not all of them play but they can march. They also do the same drill at every game. Living around Aggie fans in TX was a pain.

There is no way that Okie State band will ever look better than OU but then I really don't like circus songs for a fight song either -- wimpy.

Even in a down year the Okie State band cannot beat The Pride. Now the real OSU band from Columbus is a whole different story -- they are awesome.

The crowd absolutely loved the last tune and drill the Pride did tonight. I'm sure it was simple as anything, but the folks ate it up.

OUswagger
9/23/2006, 10:39 PM
Milli Vanilli, C & C Music factory

GottaHavePride
9/23/2006, 10:45 PM
The crowd absolutely loved the last tune and drill the Pride did tonight. I'm sure it was simple as anything, but the folks ate it up.

Heh. All they did was march in a straight line, then turn left, take 2 steps, turn left, then march in a straight line. Probably took longer to learn the Stars & Stripes than the drill.

Oh, and my thoughts on the band: good drum majoring. I like the new guy. And the tubas are probably the best section in the band. (If they could manage a straight line in drill, anyway... ;) ) Lot of sound coming out of them.

oumartin
9/23/2006, 10:46 PM
they need more clarinets!!!!!

GottaHavePride
9/23/2006, 10:53 PM

If by "they" you mean "hell", then I agree. Hell needs more clarinets.

OnlyOneOklahoma
9/23/2006, 11:10 PM
If by "they" you mean "hell", then I agree. Hell needs more clarinets.

/agree man /agree:pop:

Ash
9/23/2006, 11:21 PM

BAH!!! It's the freakin' clarinets that have screwed everything up!!!! Screw the freakin' woodwinds until they can execute at the same level as everyone else.

SoonerMajic
9/24/2006, 12:26 AM
I think the clarients have been out of position and over pursuing much of the year. Venables will get them straightened out.

jigglymonkey
9/24/2006, 12:36 AM
I did see two women in section 108 almost get in a fight over the band tonight lol

monty
9/24/2006, 12:41 AM
I think the clarients have been out of position and over pursuing much of the year. Venables will get them straightened out.

bye week adjustments...we should execute well next game. if we can get the clarinets to put some pressure on the qb, that would free up some tubas to make some big plays.

Seriously though, i like when they blare out that steady tone and then after what seems like 2 minutes...O-K-U! They were doing that at Oregon and it made me totally disregard the abc figure heads for a little while. Anyone notice they are holding that sound for a lot longer?

Scott D
9/24/2006, 12:47 AM

no offense, but a middle school band can pull off a block drill with just 3 practices.

PrideTuba
9/24/2006, 12:48 AM
as bad as the Pride may be, they are definitely not worse than the spirit of oklahoma state, osu's band is a total joke.

Scott D
9/24/2006, 12:50 AM
I hereby say the aggie band is better if they don't have a proclivity to include mass quantities of woodwinds instead of an excess of brass.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/24/2006, 12:51 AM
I guess I don't really pay any attention, how many woodwinds are there in comparison to brass instruments? I never pay attention during halftime to be honest with you.

Zing
9/24/2006, 01:14 AM
huh?

Nothing escapes you, eh, martin?

*sigh* Nothing to complain about concerning the game, so we might as well stand around and make foolish remarks about the band.

no offense, but a middle school band can pull off a block drill with just 3 practices.

No offense, but everybody knows that. Go back to your hole. :rolleyes: (Besides, no offense to who? A&M? Seriously! Why you gotta go draggin' them into this?)

Dio
9/24/2006, 07:53 AM
I did see two women in section 108 almost get in a fight over the band tonight lol

Were they hawt? [/obligatory]

mrowl
9/24/2006, 09:05 AM

well, it was good except for the lines that were horrible, and the fact that they stopped in the same spot for the majority of the song. Yeah, that was really good.

Scott D
9/24/2006, 09:09 AM
Nothing escapes you, eh, martin?

*sigh* Nothing to complain about concerning the game, so we might as well stand around and make foolish remarks about the band.

No offense, but everybody knows that. Go back to your hole. :rolleyes: (Besides, no offense to who? A&M? Seriously! Why you gotta go draggin' them into this?)

oh go cry to britt about my comments, I'm sure he'll get his frilly panties in a twist over it.

oklaclarinet
9/24/2006, 09:23 AM
I hereby say the aggie band is better if they don't have a proclivity to include mass quantities of woodwinds instead of an excess of brass.

If you want a band without woodwinds, catch LSU or Michigan State. It seemed like the last time I saw those bands they didn't have any. All three major college bands in this state use them.

oumartin
9/24/2006, 09:49 AM
maybe the Union University band could come down and put on a real halftime show.

oklaclarinet
9/24/2006, 09:55 AM
maybe the Union University band could come down and put on a real halftime show.

If you are going to pull a high school band into the discussion, you could have picked a better example. I haven't seen Union yet this year, so I don't know how they have recovered from last year. But the show they are doing this year I was told is the same show that Westmoore did a decade ago.

oumartin
9/24/2006, 09:57 AM
well i too have not seen them this year.. Just going off tradition only. my bad

birddog
9/24/2006, 10:07 AM
:les: I LOVE BAND SMACK!!!

SoonerMom2
9/24/2006, 10:25 AM

Exactly! That's why when the people around us at the game sit in awe at the A&M band, I sit there and chuckle. They do basic drills that every high school band should learn and then A&M does the same drill week after week.

I was laughing last night at the some of the comments about how great the band looked at the end. They did look good but like you said it is basic marching. Maybe going back to basic will make the Pride look better.

Still cannot get over how bad some of their diagonals look when they march down the field. There again it is basic marching between yard lines which some band members cannot seem to do. Someone is the last row seems to be out of step a lot too. The Pride needs to go back to basics and learn out to march between yard lines in a straight line.

I have watched the Buckeye Marching Band and if one person makes a mistake, they have to go back to the beginning and pretty soon mistakes are eliminated.

SoonerMom2
9/24/2006, 10:27 AM
well, it was good except for the lines that were horrible, and the fact that they stopped in the same spot for the majority of the song. Yeah, that was really good.

It was better then the last show that they did twice in a row! :)

Ash
9/24/2006, 10:29 AM
OMG

PrideTrombone
9/24/2006, 10:32 AM
If you want a band without woodwinds, catch LSU or Michigan State. It seemed like the last time I saw those bands they didn't have any. All three major college bands in this state use them.

http://www.bands.lsu.edu/ensembles/tiger_band.php

"Woodwind and brass players audition for Tiger Band by playing the chromatic scale and a couple of major scales in addition to a prepared piece which you provide."

http://www.spartanband.net/forum/index.php?Cat=0&paction=auditions

"Openings for Alto and Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet, Mellophone, Baritone, Trombone, and Tuba. Flute, clarinet, oboe, and bassoon players may elect to audition for the SMB on alto or tenor saxophone."

That's a little more like it. :)

http://tbdbitl.osu.edu/?action=a037

Ohio State uses all brass/percussion. Unfortunately all the high-step crap they do makes them sound like ***. Not bad when standing still though.

oklaclarinet
9/24/2006, 12:02 PM
http://www.bands.lsu.edu/ensembles/tiger_band.php

"Woodwind and brass players audition for Tiger Band by playing the chromatic scale and a couple of major scales in addition to a prepared piece which you provide."

http://www.spartanband.net/forum/index.php?Cat=0&paction=auditions

"Openings for Alto and Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet, Mellophone, Baritone, Trombone, and Tuba. Flute, clarinet, oboe, and bassoon players may elect to audition for the SMB on alto or tenor saxophone."

That's a little more like it. :)

Ohio State uses all brass/percussion. Unfortunately all the high-step crap they do makes them sound like ***. Not bad when standing still though.

Yeah, I knew there was at least one out there, I just didn't have time to go find it. It has been a couple of years since I saw them, and I certainly wasn't focusing on numbers of woodwinds vs. brass when I did. Thanks for finding out the correct info.

hurricane'bone
9/24/2006, 12:04 PM

I still wish that tOSU truck driver had run over the notre dame band.

Ash
9/24/2006, 12:56 PM
What I thought was a joke has turned into another multi-page band thread about chromatic scales and woodwinds...on the football board.
:(

I blame oumartin.

The Original "soonerjeff"
9/24/2006, 05:00 PM
The band is MUCH better this year. The volume is returning and the brass is starting to be featured again! Evidence? Look at the concert set they stand in for Pregame concert-- Horns on the front two lines, trumpets behind them, all the brass (for the most part) in the middle of the set. Hmmm, I seem to remember that I've even heard PrideTrombone make a similar remark to me at the Washington game about the improvement :norm:. I am not going to say that its the new assistant thats caused these changes, but I do believe and hope that this improvement is happening b/c the #1 man is getting to implement the system that he's wanted all along, and also that there does seem to be an improvement in student leadership this year, if you know what I mean ;).

Yesterday's show was the best of the year so far in many areas. That hurts me to say b/c I "strongly dislike" Sousa marches and the AnM/military-style marching, but the block drill for "Stars and Stripes" was actually pretty well written and the kids pulled it off well, even though they don't like doing the AnM thing either.

They look good and they sound good-- Get off their backs for the first time in 4 years.

PS-- "Robin Hood" is returning for the texass "movie" show. PrideTrombone, please try to not stand out in the recording this time :P ;)

PrideTrombone
9/24/2006, 05:25 PM
PS-- "Robin Hood" is returning for the texass "movie" show. PrideTrombone, please try to not stand out in the recording this time :P ;)

Heh. I'll do my best. :)

r5TPsooner
9/24/2006, 06:48 PM
DOUBLE OUCH.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2006, 06:59 PM

ZANG!

Nice to see you around, Jeff.

JordlePrideTuba
9/26/2006, 11:02 AM
And the tubas are probably the best section in the band. (If they could manage a straight line in drill, anyway... ;) ) Lot of sound coming out of them.

:eek: :D

jdsooner
9/26/2006, 01:13 PM
and its just their pep band!
osu has better sheep than OU (or so I'm told) and that's about it. I enjoyed the Pride last Saturday night.

OUTrumpet
9/26/2006, 01:48 PM
osu has better sheep than OU (or so I'm told) and that's about it. I enjoyed the Pride last Saturday night.

OSU also has guys with flags...

jdsooner
9/26/2006, 02:33 PM
OSU also has guys with flags...

And the osu flaggots put on quite a performance!

OKLA21FAN
9/26/2006, 03:21 PM
Tulsa's band is da bomb!

(gotta love band smack)

lufkinaggie07
9/26/2006, 08:21 PM
Hey Soonermom, I got a flute you can play.

Readyfor8
9/26/2006, 08:27 PM
Hey Soonermom, I got a flute you can play.

I'm sure she isn't qualified to handle such small equipment.

OnlyOneOklahoma
9/26/2006, 08:57 PM
pwnt....

goingoneight
9/26/2006, 09:16 PM
OSU also has lots of fags...

heh.