PDA

View Full Version : Its Ramadan-time again!

Okla-homey
9/23/2006, 08:03 AM
Ah, the early fall festival in which observant Muslims fast from sun-up to sundown...and absolutely nothing of substance gets accomplished during daylight anywhere in southwest asia.

King Crimson
9/23/2006, 08:07 AM
yesterday was the beginning of Rosh Hashanah as well, you gonna make fun of Jews too?

c'mon homey.

Okla-homey
9/23/2006, 08:41 AM
yesterday was the beginning of Rosh Hashanah as well, you gonna make fun of Jews too?

c'mon homey.

No I'm not going to make fun of Jews. if you have ever had to conduct business with men in southwest asia during this period you would understand. They walk around like self-righteous zombies while "woe-is-me-ing" all day b/c they haven't eaten or drunk anything. Then, as soon as some mullah spots the moon in the early evening sky, they party like its 1599 and gorge like crazy until the wee hours.

Thus, many of them actually put on weight during this month.

Seems to me that if a person were truly sincere in their faith, they would work hard to carry-on in their work despite the fasting. Instead, it's used as a shield to justify not doing a flippin' thing all month. That, IMHO, is hypocrisy.

BoogercountySooner
9/23/2006, 02:15 PM
By God!!

VeeJay
9/23/2006, 03:30 PM
You think that's bad, deal with the Chinese during Chinese New Year. Sayonara, Baby!

....and they STILL manage to keep Costco and Target in business. I mean Wal-Mart. No Chinese stuff in Target and Costco!

skycat
9/23/2006, 03:46 PM
No I'm not going to make fun of Jews. if you have ever had to conduct business with men in southwest asia during this period you would understand. They walk around like self-righteous zombies while "woe-is-me-ing" all day b/c they haven't eaten or drunk anything. Then, as soon as some mullah spots the moon in the early evening sky, they party like its 1599 and gorge like crazy until the wee hours.

Thus, many of them actually put on weight during this month.

Seems to me that if a person were truly sincere in their faith, they would work hard to carry-on in their work despite the fasting. Instead, it's used as a shield to justify not doing a flippin' thing all month. That, IMHO, is hypocrisy.

Kinda like Fat Tuesday and Lent.

SoonerBorn68
9/23/2006, 03:57 PM
Ah, the early fall festival in which observant Muslims fast from sun-up to sundown...and absolutely nothing of substance gets accomplished during daylight anywhere in southwest asia.

Maybe we should liven up Rommie this year & make some of those Islamo focturds run for cover.

Penguin
9/23/2006, 04:00 PM
Isn't it early this year? I thought that junk went on in November.

9/23/2006, 04:42 PM
Kinda like Fat Tuesday and Lent.

When was the last time either of these two events had a major impact on American culture?

...or even Christian culture?

skycat
9/23/2006, 04:48 PM
When was the last time either of these two events had a major impact on American culture?

...or even Christian culture?

From my experience with Asian companies, and Muslim employees at my company, Homey is exagerating.

Of course, our experiences may differ.

I'm just pointing out that Islam is not the only religion with scads of hypocritical practitioners.

Penguin
9/23/2006, 04:53 PM
What do you get a man for Ramadan when he has 70 virgins waiting for him?

Hell, I wouldn't know what to do with one virgin.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2006, 05:12 PM
What do you get a man for Ramadan when he has 70 virgins waiting for him?

Hell, I wouldn't know what to do with one virgin.

May I make a suggestion?

Penguin
9/23/2006, 05:20 PM
Slap her around and have her make me a sandwich?

BajaOklahoma
9/23/2006, 05:46 PM
Kids aren't required to observe the dietary restrictions until they are 12 years old. It's very sad to see them at lunchtime, not eating. And their grades usually drop during this time.

And, Penguin, it is always this time of year.

One of our kids isn't going to Camp because we go during Ramadan. The child isn't observing the dietary restrictions and we are only gone from Monday Noon to Wednesday Noon. I can't wait for the scheduling to change to accommodate the Holidays - I predict we will stop going to Camp.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2006, 06:00 PM
Kids aren't required to observe the dietary restrictions until they are 12 years old. It's very sad to see them at lunchtime, not eating. And their grades usually drop during this time.

And, Penguin, it is always this time of year.

One of our kids isn't going to Camp because we go during Ramadan. The child isn't observing the dietary restrictions and we are only gone from Monday Noon to Wednesday Noon. I can't wait for the scheduling to change to accommodate the Holidays - I predict we will stop going to Camp.

Arent' you in the Plano/Richardson area? Are there a lot of muslim kids up there?

Desert Sapper
9/23/2006, 06:00 PM

I agree with you whole-heartedly about Ramadan messing with business. Nothing is more annoying than "Inshallah we will get to that. Inshallah we will do some work. I can't make my people do anything during Ramadan, you know." I can't even tell you how many projects I've had lose valuable time to Ramadan and its associated non-work hours, etc.

I know of one group in particular that carries on working, doesn't fast, and still manages to receive high kudos from the Imams. We (being the US Military) call them 'insurgents'. A better term would probably be 'murderers', given that their efforts manage to kill considerably more civilians (on purpose) than combatants (something about killing in the name of Allah or some such). However, they are considered above the common, practicing muslim that manages to carry on his daily duties while fasting and observing the proper Ramadan custom. That, IMHO, is hypocrisy.

mdklatt
9/23/2006, 10:06 PM
May I make a suggestion? Stay the hell away from Branson.

;)

mdklatt
9/23/2006, 10:09 PM

Are they forbidden from assploding themselves and others during this time? Because that would be a good thing.

TopDaugIn2000
9/23/2006, 10:20 PM
Glad I don't have to put up with this anymore....

TopDaugIn2000
9/23/2006, 10:25 PM
Isn't it early this year? I thought that junk went on in November.

They go by the Lunar calendar, so it gets a little earlier every year.

TUSooner
9/23/2006, 11:30 PM
they party like its 1599

Heh!

BajaOklahoma
9/23/2006, 11:34 PM
Arent' you in the Plano/Richardson area? Are there a lot of muslim kids up there?

It's increasing.
And it seems to be a high % of them are very rude.
And lousy drivers. :mad:

Okla-homey
9/24/2006, 08:42 AM
From my experience with Asian companies, and Muslim employees at my company, Homey is exagerating.

Of course, our experiences may differ.

Please trust me, its waaay worse over there and I'm not exagerating. The only thing that keeps the lights on during Ramadan in places like SA, Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, etc. is the fact they employ "third country nationals" (TCN's are often Indian, Pakistani or Filipino) to run things and those guys (even if Muslim) are still expected to do their jobs while the local guys stagger through the day and party at night.