PDA

View Full Version : reviewed fumble recovery on kick off.

birddog
9/22/2006, 10:19 PM
they just gave the ball to nevada after a review when n'western fumbled a kick off. i thought you couldn't overturn a fumble recovery.:confused: i'm not sure anybody even knows the rules.

Ash
9/23/2006, 12:05 AM
they just gave the ball to nevada after a review when n'western fumbled a kick off. i thought you couldn't overturn a fumble recovery.:confused: i'm not sure anybody even knows the rules.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'd appreciate referees that actually know the rules of the game, much less those that have their wits about them to make snap decisions.

Why don't we have pro refs in college football?

GottaHavePride
9/23/2006, 12:24 AM
Why don't we have pro refs in college football?

Because then the NCAA might not make quite as much money.

Ash
9/23/2006, 01:03 AM

:eek:

birddog
9/23/2006, 01:29 AM
it's crazy. all week everyone in the media said that it didn't matter who recovered the onside kick because they couldn't review the recovery by patrick. so they just emphasized the ball not traveling 10 yards. then the announcers in the game tonight said that possession after a fumble is a reviewable call. so n'western lost the ball when the refs looked at replay and determined nevada recovered.
i didn't think that football could ever be annoying but man, this is so stupid.

RedstickSooner
9/23/2006, 09:00 AM

The NCAA doesn't make money from football.

Cruddy football refs are purely about the individual schools & conferences not making quite as much money.

We should set a precedent and hire our own group of NFL refs (or, at least one NFL ref to run the replay booth -- seems that he could do more good up there than pretty much anywhere else), and tell the Big-12 to just try 'n stop us.

Yeah, blaming the NCAA for stuff is fun, but it quit being about money & football back when we went to court to free up the TV contracts.

jmikeh
9/23/2006, 09:35 AM
Fabulous reading can be found here. :eek:

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingrules/football/2005/index

Jason White's Third Knee
9/23/2006, 09:40 AM
I'm surprised they didn't give the ball to Oregon.

Ash
9/23/2006, 10:18 AM
The NCAA doesn't make money from football.

Cruddy football refs are purely about the individual schools & conferences not making quite as much money.

We should set a precedent and hire our own group of NFL refs (or, at least one NFL ref to run the replay booth -- seems that he could do more good up there than pretty much anywhere else), and tell the Big-12 to just try 'n stop us.

Yeah, blaming the NCAA for stuff is fun, but it quit being about money & football back when we went to court to free up the TV contracts.

I was in favor of replay being used in college ball because it seemed to work well in the NFL, more often than not. But so far it seems to be a debacle in college, and this goes for many other instances other than the recent OU/UO and Tech games.

I honestly don't know why there are not a group of refs who are not affiliated with conferences and who are trained professionals. It would also be nice if there were a program to train these guys for game-time situations so they aren't like a bunch of chickens w/o heads when they get into a tight spot (maybe there is a program and I just don't know about it).