PDA

View Full Version : This is why it's good to be a Sooner...

AZOUFan
9/22/2006, 09:35 PM
I haven't posted much on here the last couple of years, way too many people who had magically showed up. You can see by my post count that I don't post often, only when I have something fairly meaningful to say. I've been on this site for, oh, 4 -6 years now, I've lost track, and been a Sooner fan since January 3rd, 1984 (It's a long story).

Anyway, it's funny how quickly folks are disappearing from the ranks now, and all of the sudden in the past week it's become taboo to be a Sooner. Yeah yeah, we're all a bunch of whining sissy's who make death threats to refs while rioting in the streets in our overalls before we go drink shine, eat possum and have un-natural relations with our sisters (hmmm, that got a little weird...). I had it out with some SUC fan today about how Bob Stoops is a whiner, bad for football, etc. Wouldn't even listen to me about how he wouldn't feel this way if it happens this weekend with the same ref on the field against Arizona and the call goes against him. "No way, it's just a stupid game" Whatever my friend, let's see how big of a SUC fan you are once they go 4-8.

Moral of the story, I grew up in the dark days, and wear the crap that has been dished out to me over the years like a badge of honor. Well here it all comes again, it's once again a bad thing to be a Sooner. So to all of you idiots out there like me who just don't understand that to be a Sooner is to be wrong, can I get a Boomer Sooner?

Stay strong...

Jello Biafra
9/22/2006, 10:19 PM
I haven't posted much on here the last couple of years, way too many people who had magically showed up. You can see by my post count that I don't post often, only when I have something fairly meaningful to say. I've been on this site for, oh, 4 -6 years now, I've lost track, and been a Sooner fan since January 3rd, 1984 (It's a long story).

Anyway, it's funny how quickly folks are disappearing from the ranks now, and all of the sudden in the past week it's become taboo to be a Sooner. Yeah yeah, we're all a bunch of whining sissy's who make death threats to refs while rioting in the streets in our overalls before we go drink shine, eat possum and have un-natural relations with our sisters (hmmm, that got a little weird...). I had it out with some SUC fan today about how Bob Stoops is a whiner, bad for football, etc. Wouldn't even listen to me about how he wouldn't feel this way if it happens this weekend with the same ref on the field against Arizona and the call goes against him. "No way, it's just a stupid game" Whatever my friend, let's see how big of a SUC fan you are once they go 4-8.

Moral of the story, I grew up in the dark days, and wear the crap that has been dished out to me over the years like a badge of honor. Well here it all comes again, it's once again a bad thing to be a Sooner. So to all of you idiots out there like me who just don't understand that to be a Sooner is to be wrong, can I get a Boomer Sooner?

Stay strong...

Boomer Sooner!

i have yet to find an opposing fan that has been up in my grill (outside of work, where they are protected) i had one from gopokes after multiple threads and multiple threats on his part...tell me he would find me at owen field so i told him where i would be, what time and what i would be wearing..........its a good thing i got hungry, i would still be standing there waiting on him.

i have found that a nice intense stare in their direction if they even look like they want to say something halfway witty does the trick. don't back down. not even a little bit. they call me homer because i refuse to listen to reason when im arguing a point but i would rather be a fan than called bandwagon soooo.....

stick your jaw out, look em dead in the face and tell em to bring it......

Fraggle145
9/22/2006, 10:30 PM
I am with you... the worst time ever for me... growing up just slightly sooner (1980, my parents were yankees not my fault, but I did have a boz haircut as a kid, and I started at ou during boo blake drinking Jim Beam in the student section) was when I was living in Georgia last year. I am at the UGA tailgate before the 1st game against Boise St. assuming all is right with the world and TCU is being rolled into the horny terd that they are... needless to say I was sadly dissappointed and crawled into a bottle of Jager in front of my girlfriend's parents and family friends (granted they were very understanding because they know college football)... anyway I am on the way to the stadium and this jack *** says to me and my two buddies:
"Hey does the sooner fan (of course I was in my gameday garb) know he lost?"

"Yeah did you know you are a prick?"

"I wasnt trying to be a prick!"

"No you succeeded.... now sit the fvck down before I make you sit down."

and he sat... most UGA fans arent a$$hats like that but they are everywhere in every fan base. All I can say is fvck em. if you want to make me stop "whining" go ahead and try. He are the winningest program since WWII... we are the mf'n sooners. so let em say hat they want the only way anyone seems to be able to beat us is by cheating.

PDXsooner
9/22/2006, 10:39 PM
i live in portland, oregon in the heart of duck country. 95% of my friends have been cool about it. the message boards are where the freaks come out to play. it's always been that way. does that make us posters crazy? maybe.

boomersoonerdude
9/22/2006, 11:02 PM
Boomer Sooner Brother !!!!

soonerhubs
9/22/2006, 11:34 PM
You'll never see this soonerfan drop from the ranks. I have grown to love Soonerfootball More and More every year. This year is no exception because although I want to pull my hair out sometimes when the Defense lets up, I still get excited as ever, every time we make a stop. When I can hear Chants of RUUUUU in the stands my grins a mile wide.

The Oregon game was fun to watch, and I felt like our boys played their guts out. I'm excited to see the defense begin to gel more and more every week. I honestly think the D-line will improve, and the Tackles will once again be the feared agents of doom they once were.

Do there need to be changes in the staff, I'll leave that for experts to decide, because I'm far from one. In the mean time. BOOMER!!!!! from the state of Utah where soonerfans proudly call BYU/Utah sports JV ball.

soonersweetie
9/23/2006, 12:52 AM
Boomer Sooner!

I remember the days before cable when I would sit in the living room with my dad and his transistor radios to listen to away games. He would have his beer and me, my pepsi and we would listen to John Brooks call the games. I learned so much about OU from following the rosters and asking dad questions.

I am a die hard Sooner. Sure there are some rough times, but boy it sure makes those years like 2000 extra sweet!!!

I wouldn't trade being a Sooner for anything.

Boomer Sooner!!!!

PLaw
9/23/2006, 07:46 AM

Stay strong...

Fortunately, there have been many more bright days as a SOONER, than dark ones. Can you imagine being a 'Poke, Faggie, Pink Fader, Mildcat, Jaybird, Tigger, whorn, pig, or a whirlwind? God bless 'em, it's GREAT TO BE A SOONER!

Just think, in my lifetime I saw the GAME OF THE CENTURY, 4 NC's, countless CC's, a Honey Bear, Steve Owens, Billy Sims, Jason White, The Selmons, The Boz, Little Joe, Doctor Death, Lott and Holieway run the 'Bone, Jackson go for 80, AD, Roy my Boy, the krunk of TH, Thunder and Lighting, Two HOF B's, dozens of AA's, and scores of All-Conference players.

Hey, I work in the West Valley about every week - I'd be glad to take you to Don and Charlie's and discuss all of the greatness of the SOONER NATION. So my new found friend . . .

ALWAYS BOOMER SOONER

Flagstaffsooner
9/23/2006, 07:57 AM
I remember a fall day long ago. I was a Boy Scout on a campout at Camp Kickapoo. I climbed a hill so my little transistor pocket radio could pick up the game. We lost to Colorado that day. I descended that hill a sad little boy but still a Proud SOONER.

SoonerMajic
9/23/2006, 08:13 AM
Remember back in the 1970s when OU would be on television maybe twice a year, other than that it was radio? Typically, you saw OU-Texas and OU-Nebraska and that was it.

I feel like one of those people who talk about when coke was a nickel, but people in their 20s and below have no idea how lucky they have it with almost every OU game being available on TV or PPV, the numerous other games available, and all of the highlight shows.

ESPN came out in about 1978 when I was a sophomore in high school.

Not to mention the internet, youtube and the like.

If the JFK assination were to happen now some sooner fan would have a video posted within hours that would conclusively show and highlight with music and witty phrasing the umbrella man, the smoking man, the shooters or non-shooters on the grassy knoll, Jack Ruby or the guy who looked like Jack Ruby outside the book depository, and the source of the bullets and their trajectory.

stoopified
9/23/2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah yeah, we're all a bunch of whining sissy's who make death threats to refs while rioting in the streets in our overalls before we go drink shine, eat possum and have un-natural relations with our sisters (hmmm, that got a little weird...).

Stay strong...[/QUOTE]
You mean not everyone drinks shine,wears overalls,eats possum,and has amorous relations with female kinfolk?Now don't I feel supid!:D

Jason White's Third Knee
9/23/2006, 09:32 AM
The only people that have talked any crap to me are people that aren't college football fans. Everyone that I respect with regards to college football knowledge has been in awe of the awful situation that Oklahoma was put in and generally believe that we won the game.

jrsooner
9/23/2006, 11:46 AM
Anyway, it's funny how quickly folks are disappearing from the ranks now, and all of the sudden in the past week it's become taboo to be a Sooner.Hey! Don't tell my 3 year old daughter that. My wife signed her up to be in one of these "small town pageants" today since as my wife put it "it's not your average 'jump my daughter' pageants". We showed up and guess what....the beauty pageant's idiots were there in force. My daughter who is more into ballet and TaeKwonDo took it in stride. After they announced the winners...they tried to get all these little girls to do that "jump me wave" and smile.

My daughter proudly displays the "horn down" sign and grinning from ear to ear. My wife says there were some "gasps" as the parents around her saw Julie being proud to be a Sooner! :)

tbl
9/23/2006, 11:56 AM
Did you have to prod her on to do that, or was it completely organic?

BigDeezy
9/23/2006, 12:04 PM
I agree whole-heartedly.

I don't post much. Mostly enjoying just reading and 'rootin for the team.

I do sit in amazement over much of the stuff I see posted, and watch the ying and yang of our fans and many bandwagoners. It just reminds me that it is all meant to be entertainment.

dr.zapp
9/23/2006, 12:22 PM
Remember back in the 1970s when OU would be on television maybe twice a year, other than that it was radio? Typically, you saw OU-Texas and OU-Nebraska and that was it.

I grew up listening to (a very young) Bob Barry and Sooner Football every saturday, and then getting in after halftime to watch the end of the game 'cause I was on the stadium cleanup crew :D
Speaking of which, Does anyone know of a place to listen to the game today on the internet (other than Yahoo)? Does KOKC 1520 still do it? I tried it out and got a directory listing instead of broadcast... And I can never get on KCOH, no more connections allowed... Any other place to listen to Bob Barry?

And sorry for hijacking the thread... I just registered and for some reason I can't post new threads.. just reply. Anyone know why that is?

jrsooner
9/23/2006, 12:36 PM
Did you have to prod her on to do that, or was it completely organic?No prodding, she's completely Sooner Bred! I didn't even get the enjoyment of seeing it, my wife had to tell me about it. I was stuck with all the father's in the backroom, watching all the mother's primping their sons for the next part of the "pageant".

If there is a Sooner game on tv being shown. She'll sit down watching it saying the whole time "There's my Sooners". I've had to talk with her a few times about talking "smack" with the kids out front. Out of the 7 houses on our street. 3 root for the horns, 2 root for the Sooners, and 1 roots for the red raiders. All their kids though root for the horns. I think sometime I need to give her combat pay for all that she says. We don't know where it comes from, because I'm definately not one who talks smack, but will back the Sooners all the way.

The Sunday after texas got beat by Ohio. We came home from church. She had on a cute 1 piece OU dress on. Walked around the van, saw the kids playing in their longhorn shirts in the neighbor's yard. Put's one hand on her hip, say's "hey boys", and when they looked over flashed them the downward horns. She's a spitfire when it comes to the Sooners.

SoonerJack
9/23/2006, 03:43 PM
I remember a fall day long ago. I was a Boy Scout on a campout at Camp Kickapoo. I climbed a hill so my little transistor pocket radio could pick up the game. We lost to Colorado that day. I descended that hill a sad little boy but still a Proud SOONER.

Flagstaff, when I was in Scouts, almost every fall campout would feature an AM radio and listening to the game was part of the campout. My scoutmasters were huge Sooner fans, as was I.

I didn't go to OU, but my boyhood heroes were Gregg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Steve Owens, Tinker Owens, the Selmon brothers etc. Good memories.

Boomer Sooner