PDA

View Full Version : What is your experience at the Tx game?

BigDeezy
9/22/2006, 07:18 PM
My kids want for us to go the the OU-TX game. Great -- I would love to go, but currently don't have tickets. I am going to try to get some, and know how difficult that can be. But if I can't get any:

1) how possible is it to get tickets at the game? I hear that scalping is illegal so that makes it pretty difficult, but I swear I remember seeing posts here saying that it is very possible to get tickets outside the stadium. Is that true? What can I expect to find?

2) one of my kids feels we should go just for the experience, and even if we can't get tickets, we can find some place nearby to watch the game in a great atmosphere. Anyone had that experience and can tell me what you know, and what I might try?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Big Deezy

westcoast_sooner
9/22/2006, 07:41 PM
My kids want for us to go the the OU-TX game. Great -- I would love to go, but currently don't have tickets. I am going to try to get some, and know how difficult that can be. But if I can't get any:

1) how possible is it to get tickets at the game? I hear that scalping is illegal so that makes it pretty difficult, but I swear I remember seeing posts here saying that it is very possible to get tickets outside the stadium. Is that true? What can I expect to find?

2) one of my kids feels we should go just for the experience, and even if we can't get tickets, we can find some place nearby to watch the game in a great atmosphere. Anyone had that experience and can tell me what you know, and what I might try?

Big Deezy

There are always tickets, it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for them.

I've been to 3 RRS games, and lots of others. I've only been to one college game where tickets were so outrageously expensive that I wouldn't pay it once it got there, and it wasn't an RRS. I was lucky enough to have tix before the RRS games. But, the first time I went, we had a couple of others with us who didn't. We ended up finding people who had extras, willing to get rid of them.

washington's fave
9/22/2006, 08:21 PM
There are always scalpers out front of fair park scalping tickets. Even if you don't buy tickets for the game, make the trip to experience Friday night before the game at the West End - it is a must visit. Even if you decide not to buy pricey tickets on game day there are throngs of fans outside the stadium watching on screens and that is even a hoot. One trip and you will understand why saxeT fans are the worst and why every OU fan loathes anything TU. T**K F***S!!!!! Later in life your children will appreciate the hands on learning that you gave them!!!!

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 08:26 PM
I have only been to three games but they were all great except for that one time I got my arse handed to me by a midget, I mean height challenged.

Man I should have left that out.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't take my kids until they are older... Seems like more of an "adult" day.

OUster
9/22/2006, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't take my kids until they are older... Seems like more of an "adult" day.

I would have to concur. No doubt you will have a good time but it may be a little of drag explaining to the younger son why the red headed Texas frat boy just yelled "OU Sucks!" three inches from his face. Damn Texas fans! They have no respect for family.

TheGodfather889
9/22/2006, 09:46 PM
I love the OU/Texas game. I've been to 10 (6-4) in my short life and I'll be at my 11th this year. The Texas fans are annoying as the only time they haven't talked smack was before the 2004 OU/Texas game and it was pretty obvious why. But the game itself is a treat to go to. The atmosphere is great. Every OU fan should go atleast once. As for the kids: I wouldn't take my toddler to the game but I went to my first when I was 9 and it didn't harm me from hearing the smack talk and drunkeness of the game.

Rocker
9/22/2006, 09:49 PM

Not a good place for the children. I have seen Soonerfans get mad at each other for the "adult" words being used at that game. And yes I know it shouldn't be that way but it is.

SoFla Sooner
9/22/2006, 09:53 PM
I'm taking my kids ages 9 and 15 for their first OU-UT experience this year. As for the 9 year-old, unfortunately he probably hears worse stuff at school in terms of foul language. But there is no equal in terms of the atmosphere and electricity of the game. As for tickets outside the stadium, take plenty of cash. And not that you asked, but the ebay market is considerably more favorable than it was last year, I have found, if you wish to go that route.

sooner518
9/22/2006, 10:09 PM
Im sure the game will be fine. Kids hear bad stuff all the time.

but keep them away from the West End on Friday night.

BigDeezy
9/23/2006, 12:13 PM
Actually my kids are grown. I should have said that.

r5TPsooner
9/23/2006, 12:18 PM
loss
loss
tie
loss

I now watch the game at home.

proud gonzo
9/23/2006, 12:50 PM

I agree. It's a pretty harsh atmosphere, and while it's well worth the experience, it isn't really a place for kids. There's a ton of people, half of them aren't friendly and most of them are drunk.

fadada1
9/23/2006, 12:52 PM
NC17

soonerinabilene
9/23/2006, 12:56 PM
only time was last year. got beat. still had a great time, and its still cool to say ive been to the rrs. only problem was texas fans were acting like they hadnt won in 6 years. oh, wait...

proud gonzo
9/23/2006, 01:37 PM
it's not even an easy experience when we DO win

yermom
9/23/2006, 02:05 PM
i've been going since 2001, i don't plan on missing one anytime soon. the game itself isn't too bad, but the West End could probably get out of hand

i have seen tickets for sale outside, but watch for cops ;)

BoogercountySooner
9/23/2006, 02:35 PM
I've been twice first was the 2001 Roy Superman game. After the game it was hilarious the stupid drunk Whorn fans. My other game was the 2003 beat down of the whorns.

Sooner-by-Marriage
9/23/2006, 04:58 PM
My family makes the trip from Virginia out to the RRS every year. I've taken my 5 year old son every year since he was 6 months old, and my 2 year old daughter will be making her 3rd game this year.

Maybe it's because of where we sit, but I find the game and the whole game day experience to be reasonably "family friendly."

It's a long day for the kids, don't get me wrong. But I don't think it would be inappropriate to bring kids.

TMcGee86
9/23/2006, 05:46 PM
I heard they shut down the west end. And that was from a very reliable source who lives in Dallas.

I was surprised but it had gone downhill in the past few years.

josh09
9/23/2006, 09:06 PM

Big Deezy

i usually just scalp anyway :D

horninokc
9/23/2006, 10:01 PM
I took my son from the time he was 10 yrs old or so. He liked TX-OU because it was the only time he could hear and use the word "SUCKS" and not get in trouble for it.

Hook 'Em