PDA

View Full Version : Who knew we lived in the dust bowl?

LilSooner
9/22/2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, so I have lived in this state for about 20 years and I have never been in a supa.bad dust storm until yesterday. We got a new rep and he taking over my hospitals up North. So, I took him to Alva yesterday. On our way back we get in the worst dust storm I have ever seen. It was so bad we couldn't even see the road. We would also get huge gust of wind that would push my car into the other lane. It was the suck. So I get an email this morning from the hospital wanting to make sure that we got back alright because they closed the highway east of town.

North Western Oklahoma sucks.

9/22/2006, 01:28 PM
North Western Oklahoma sucks.

Actually, you were just in line with Kansas pared with a strong counter-suction from Texas.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/22/2006, 02:41 PM
Back in the early '70's I was living in Dallas, and there was a period of 5 or 6 days of true Dust Bowl conditions. The air was totally saturated with a very fine dust that permeated EVERYTHING. Man, it was horrible and scary. I believe all of N. Texas, and maybe OK too, had this happen. I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

SoonerBK
9/22/2006, 03:08 PM
If it weren't so dusty, then it would not be all that bad.

n8v_ndn
9/22/2006, 03:11 PM
Little did you know how close you came to having your day really ruined...

http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/tuskenraider/img/movie_bg.jpg

BigRedJed
9/22/2006, 03:12 PM
All you have to do to be reminded of the Dust Bowl is to read a review of something from the Flaming Lips in a national publication. Apparently that's the only thing coastal asshats know about Oklahoma. That, and tornados. And football bad-call bitterness.

OCUDad
9/22/2006, 03:19 PM
Apparently that's the only thing coastal asshats know about Oklahoma.See, this is why you need to believe in, and encourage, global warming. The glaciers melt, the ocean rises, the coasts disappear, and all that's left is Oklahoma and Kansas.

olevetonahill
9/22/2006, 05:10 PM
and we fence kansas off and put all the a5shats there,:cool:

GottaHavePride
9/22/2006, 05:30 PM
I can remember a dust storm in Wichita in about 1988. I went outside after school at about 3 pm and the sky was pink. And it was so thick I couldn't even see the portable annex buildings 30 feet away. Freaky.

olevetonahill
9/22/2006, 06:46 PM
Flag let me explain for your desert a5s ;)
Dad said all thats left is Ok and kansas , I said we fence off kansas and make all the azzhats go there unnerstan ?

Chuck Bao
9/22/2006, 07:02 PM
I remember several dust storms as a kid. But much of it was from dust being kicked up from the peanut farms around Lake Texoma.

I'm not sure that we could get the equivalent of the 20's dust bowl. Didn't Oklahoma have a bigger population in the 20s than it does now? And back then, most of the population was rural and agricultural based. They cut down trees and plowed up a larger portion of the land, or I think that's the case at least in south central and eastern part of the state.

But, I could be wrong.

slickdawg
9/22/2006, 07:28 PM
Gawd, y'all are slackers!

:les: IT'S GEORGE BUSH'S FAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NASASooner
9/23/2006, 12:09 AM
My parents grew up in the original Dust Bowl days of the 30s. Every story from my dad involved dust, walking uphill (both ways) 20+ miles to school, only having mustard & bisquits to eat, etc.

As I remember growing up much later in western Oklahoma, it always seemed like west Texas or New Mexico would blow in one or two times in April with dust and mud ball showers.

Saw the most amazing dust storms when I lived in Amarillo for 3 years. Looked like something out of a Sahara movie.

BigRedJed
9/24/2006, 12:59 PM
...Didn't Oklahoma have a bigger population in the 20s than it does now?...
Uh, no. The state population in 1930 was about 2.3 million, today it's about 3.5 million. That said, it was much more heavily rural, so you can exptrapolate that possibly more people lived in Oklahoma in a rural setting that they do today.

But the main difference that led to the Dust Bowl, beyond freakish drought for multiple consecutive years, was an absolute lack of understanding of soil conservation.