PDA

View Full Version : If Bobby Bowden retires this yyear who replaces him?

stoopified
9/22/2006, 11:21 AM
While were at it who replaces Paterno at PSU?

At FSU I am thinking Tommy might come over from Clemson.The thinking being that they would want someone with HC experience.I guess Richt(sp) at Georgia is a possibility, otherwise they promote from within.At PSU,I'm thinking Galen Hall the OC, all the other asstitants are like Joe,OLD.If they hire from outside ,I have no idea,Joe has been theresince around '69 as headcoach.

Ash
9/22/2006, 11:25 AM
I wonder if he's going to retire any time soon. He's not only the face of the football program, but he's the most recognizable face of FSU for people who live outside of the region.

I've heard that he has basically given over control of the team to his assistants, he's essentially a figure head. Don't know how much of this is true or not. But my impression is that he's seen as the face of FSU and still brings credibility and recognition to the program. If so, I'd think FSU would keep around as long as possible.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 11:28 AM
I thought that FSU hired an assistant that was going to step in when bowden retired?

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 11:29 AM
Hmm...good question.

There's alot of coaches out of work right now. If the Redskins can bring Joe Gibbs back...

one has to wonder what guys like Buddy Ryan, Ditka, Jimmy Johnson, ad Switzer are doing. They are all younger than Bowden...bu my guess is they will find a youngster who can give them some longevity for the future...unless he sucks.

PAW
9/22/2006, 11:29 AM
Richt has an out in his contract if FSU calls.

Chizik's name is bound to surface for some of the open positions.

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 11:37 AM
I thought that FSU hired an assistant that was going to step in when bowden retired?

Sean Sutton?

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 11:38 AM
Richt has an out in his contract if FSU calls.

Chizik's name is bound to surface for some of the open positions.

Bobby Petrino, Rich Rodriguez, Bob?

JohnnyMack
9/22/2006, 11:40 AM
I always thought Mike Stoops should have hung around at OU long enough to be considered for those two positions. Oh well, Tucson is.........nice.

snp
9/22/2006, 11:42 AM
Dear God please let it be Jeff Bowden.

Richt would be making a lateral move. Georgia can recruit nationally and are a much better team than FSU.

Micky Andrews is a helluva DC, but with him in control he'll probably go straight to Florida State Correctional Facilities to start recruiting.

birddog
9/22/2006, 11:43 AM
i figured mike would have waited for paterno to go away.

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 11:44 AM
Jeff Bowden as a head coach would be hilarity. Maybe he could get FSU to be an all girls school again!

We beat them in 2000 and they never recovered.

GoMTBlue
9/22/2006, 12:41 PM
I'll throw a name out there, Middle Tennessee's Rick Stockstill. I know he is not ready yet and he has not proven himself, but I think the FSU job is his goal. He even went on record saying that would be the ultimate job for him. Now, if we are talking about the next couple of years I think it will be Richt, but if Bowden stays around another 4 or 5 years, I think Stock will be successful enough at Middle Tennessee to get consideration.

FYI, Stock was the QB during the years FSU went from a nobody to a national power. He has coached under head coaches like, Bowden, Holtz, Spurrier, etc.

soonerinabilene
9/22/2006, 12:44 PM
I'll throw a name out there, Middle Tennessee's Rick Stockstill. I know he is not ready yet and he has not proven himself, but I think the FSU job is his goal. He even went on record saying that would be the ultimate job for him. Now, if we are talking about the next couple of years I think it will be Richt, but if Bowden stays around another 4 or 5 years, I think Stock will be successful enough at Middle Tennessee to get consideration.

FYI, Stock was the QB during the years FSU went from a nobody to a national power. He has coached under head coaches like, Bowden, Holtz, Spurrier, etc.

so does he wear a visor with oakley reading glasses and have a speech impediment?

Jimminy Crimson
9/22/2006, 12:52 PM
I say Rich Rodriguez or Mark Richt.

The former, because you can only do so much at WVU. The latter, just because its FSU calling.

KAjunRaider
9/22/2006, 01:11 PM
His Stock is Rising:

Stockstill talks about his time as FSU QB, and his goal to become head coach of the Seminoles:

Garnet & Gold Rick Stockstill Audio Interview (http://classicnoles.typepad.com/garnetandgreat/1980s/index.html)

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 01:15 PM
His Stock is Rising:

Stockstill talks about his time as FSU QB, and his goal to become head coach of the Seminoles:

Garnet & Gold Rick Stockstill Audio Interview (http://classicnoles.typepad.com/garnetandgreat/1980s/index.html)

I'm an OU fan and have always considered this a "destination" job. What's the preference of a team like MTSU? A young up and comer who will potentially be gone in a few years or an average but solid coach who is willing to invest more time?

KAjunRaider
9/22/2006, 01:26 PM
I'm an OU fan and have always considered this a "destination" job. What's the preference of a team like MTSU? A young up and comer who will potentially be gone in a few years or an average but solid coach who is willing to invest more time?

While we would hate to lose a coach, if he leaves for a better paying job, he has probably left us in good shape, and our job becomes more of a "hot commodity" for another up and comer. At this time, we are more concerned with retaining our assistants. We've had probably 20 or so football assistants leave the past few years for the NFL, and other higher-paying collegiate positions.

Hopefully, with our new AD Chris Massaro, we will be able to keep bringing the donations in so that we can keep more of our coaches, from the HC on down.

Women's basketball is another story. We have a coach who will put us on the national scene in the near future (top 10 recruiting class last year). I think he'll stay for years to come. I hear ya'll have a pretty good w-hoops program as well:)

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 01:26 PM
I say Rich Rodriguez or Mark Richt.

The former, because you can only do so much at WVU. The latter, just because its FSU calling.

Why is it that whenever I hear the name Rich Rodriguez I think of those old Chris Christmas Rodriguez (http://www.wiggerl.com/ccr/) skits?

KAjunRaider
9/22/2006, 01:27 PM
By the way, to answer your question, Most of us would rather have a young up and comer, at this time.

That may change once we get established.

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 01:46 PM
By the way, to answer your question, Most of us would rather have a young up and comer, at this time.

That may change once we get established.

Fair enough. Safe travels if you're headed this way.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2006, 02:37 PM
i figure they ll just drop football

Sooner Suzie
9/22/2006, 05:08 PM
Both coaches want to end up as No. 1 - one of them will have to die before the other retires.

Eurocat
9/22/2006, 05:36 PM
I think they will promote from within.

At PSU I believe it's an open secret that the job is Tom Bradley's to turn down. Two assitants have HC experience, Galen Hall (Florida and a surprisingly succesful run in the NFL Europe plus he was the one and only coach win the XFL "Super Bowl" or whatever that thing was called). Plus their Lineback coach Ron Vanderlinden was Head Coach at Maryland. His firing was controversial with some fans saying he should have been given one or two more years.

At FSU the assitant people talk about is former Baylor coach Kevin Steele who seems to be popular with the players and other coaches. I heard Bowden give an interview saying it should go to Mickey Andrews who has loyally served as his number two always hoping to get his shot to run the place for a few years at some point. I think they will go with Andrews.

I don't think either program will look outside unless some kind of disaster strikes.

Just my two cents.

SelmaBamaFan
9/22/2006, 05:40 PM
I dont think Richt would leave UGa. He pretty much has that fan base and administration eating from his hands at the moment.

sooner-n-ga
9/22/2006, 07:36 PM
the assistant they hired to be "considered" is Kevin Steele, I want to think he was at Baylor once.
All of the FSU fans think they can get Mark Richt, but that is a dream because he will not leave Georgia for the FSU job considering the directions the programs have went since he left the noles for the dogs.

After Bobby leaves, the Noles will be on probation with in 2 years ! There is alot of stuff that gets swept under the rug down here, alot of people seem to think the NCAA looks the other way out of respect for Bobby.

DrZaius
9/22/2006, 08:12 PM
The word in the South is Richt....But his name also came up for Miami since he played there.

Tuber-Ville, well he should have a bad taste in his mouth still from Auburn trying to hire someone before they even let Tuber-ville go, so I imagine that if the right high profile job ever came around he would be interested. Even though Auburn is playing well the last couple of years, it is still a small school in the middle of nowhere bama.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2006, 08:21 PM
steele won 2 games in baylor in a single season....must be some sort of record

SelmaBamaFan
9/22/2006, 09:46 PM
The word in the South is Richt....But his name also came up for Miami since he played there.

Tuber-Ville, well he should have a bad taste in his mouth still from Auburn trying to hire someone before they even let Tuber-ville go, so I imagine that if the right high profile job ever came around he would be interested. Even though Auburn is playing well the last couple of years, it is still a small school in the middle of nowhere bama.

If Tubs leaves Auburn then he is an idiot. After the imfamous plane ride, he played his cards perfectly. He now has pretty much total control over his prograrm.

I also think I read somewhere that it would take around 7 mill to buy out his contract. Maybe some of the Auburn fans here can confirm that.

Either way, I dont think Tubs is goin anywhere. He is pretty much the king of his castle right now. If he went somewhere else, he'd have to start from scratch.

PLaw
9/23/2006, 08:14 AM

Dunno, but you could probably get a better answer from our 'poke neighbors.

ALWAYS BOOMER SOONER

OUstud
9/23/2006, 10:26 AM
the assistant they hired to be "considered" is Kevin Steele, I want to think he was at Baylor once.
All of the FSU fans think they can get Mark Richt, but that is a dream because he will not leave Georgia for the FSU job considering the directions the programs have went since he left the noles for the dogs.

After Bobby leaves, the Noles will be on probation with in 2 years ! There is alot of stuff that gets swept under the rug down here, alot of people seem to think the NCAA looks the other way out of respect for Bobby.

I read in TSN or SI a few years ago that they were grooming Steele for the job...that would be a disasterous decision.