PDA

View Full Version : Playing the service schools

lubbocksooner
9/22/2006, 08:48 AM
I was reading the comments from Guy Morris and it got me to thinking. If we drop Washington (I don't think we should). What about playing Air Force or Army on the road? I know most people don't think they are the best teams but I would like to see us play them, maybe even a home and home. Opinions?

hurricane'bone
9/22/2006, 08:52 AM
I think Norm's got some 2001 Air Force Season Tickets he'd sell ya.

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 09:07 AM
Air Force is never fun to play because they have a strange offense that is tough to prepare for.

Still, I'm always for playing the service schools. Always gets you good press, and the games are always fun to watch!

FaninAma
9/22/2006, 09:27 AM
If there is one road game that OU played that Sooner fans should try to go to it would be West Point. I know their program hasn't been strong for a while but the experience at Michie Stadium combined with West Point's location on the Hudson River plus the tradition involved with the United States Military Academy makes that location the all time best location to watch a college football game in the fall, IMO.

I guarantee you if you ever vist you will want to go back.

RacerX
9/22/2006, 09:33 AM
Screw @Air Force.

I won't be going.

C&CDean
9/22/2006, 09:39 AM
Screw @Air Force.

I won't be going.

What was so bad about Air Force?

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Sooner_Football/2001/Air_Force_Tailgate_9-1-01&img=

OU Adonis
9/22/2006, 09:52 AM
I love Air Forces offense

IronSooner
9/22/2006, 10:19 AM
Air Force was a great roadtrip...Colorado Springs, mountains, clean air, come on. Day trip to Denver...that was good times.

West Point sounds interesting...I'd be up for that.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2006, 10:27 AM
I m sure O state will have the salvation army on next years schedule...their qb did 3 tours of jc penney ringing the bell

soonerloyal
9/22/2006, 12:40 PM
Sooners
vs.
Navy

Me: "Sooners!...er...Marine cadets...er...Sooners!...uh, MARINES!...ahhhh...*gulp*"
*faint*

Don't do that to me. But Army or Air Force? No problem even for this SAC-brat Marine mama.

BoomerJack
9/22/2006, 12:48 PM
If there is one road game that OU played that Sooner fans should try to go to it would be West Point. I know their program hasn't been strong for a while but the experience at Michie Stadium combined with West Point's location on the Hudson River plus the tradition involved with the United States Military Academy makes that location the all time best location to watch a college football game in the fall, IMO.

I guarantee you if you ever vist you will want to go back.

I attended a game there in the late '90's & I agree totally with your comments. Great atmosphere, absolutely gorgeous country, & nauseateingly polite cadets. I arrived there about two hours early and wandered around the campus and took in some of its history. Great trip.

PenFLSooner
9/22/2006, 01:51 PM
Having been in the Navy, I would vote for that one. Great tradition and their football is pretty good nowadays. Nothing against Army mind you, they just haven't been all that competitive for a while. No need for people to accuse us of padding the OOC victory column like Stoolwater does. Maybe in a few more years, that program will have improved.

The Army/Navy game is AWESOME. If you ever get the chance, go. Kinda reminded me of those early 70's Sooner/Cornhusker games.

fadada1
9/22/2006, 02:11 PM
Having been in the Navy, I would vote for that one. Great tradition and their football is pretty good nowadays. Nothing against Army mind you, they just haven't been all that competitive for a while. No need for people to accuse us of padding the OOC victory column like Stoolwater does. Maybe in a few more years, that program will have improved.

The Army/Navy game is AWESOME. If you ever get the chance, go. Kinda reminded me of those early 70's Sooner/Cornhusker games.
also having been in the navy, i say NO to playing them. definitely hurts the S.O.S. - even though it's supposedly (yeah right) not part of the equation.

RacerX
9/22/2006, 02:41 PM
What was so bad about Air Force?

http://www.soonerfans.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Sooner_Football/2001/Air_Force_Tailgate_9-1-01&img=
Da townies and their newspaper.

We're all up there dropping cash in their quaint little town and every day there are articles in their fish wrap bashing on the fans and our state.

**** 'em.

Other than that the trip was great and I got to dis a 12 year old Texass fan.

I love road games on the labor day weekend.

WP76
9/22/2006, 03:19 PM
As an Army grad and a Sooner fan, I'd like to see the two teams play. There's no better college football setting than West Point. The problem is OU's strength of schedule would go down and (for the first time in my life) I would have to root against the Sooners in a game--futile as it may be and something I've never done before in my life.

It's been 10 years since Army had a truly competitive (top 20) team and they're not currently even close to that. I hope Bobby Ross can get us on the right track but it's hard to be optimistic right now.

BigRedJed
9/22/2006, 03:40 PM
Da townies and their newspaper.

We're all up there dropping cash in their quaint little town and every day there are articles in their fish wrap bashing on the fans and our state.

**** 'em.

Other than that the trip was great and I got to dis a 12 year old Texass fan.

I love road games on the labor day weekend.
I agree. That paper was a POS, dogging Oklahoma the entire time. Plus, I can't tell you how many people in that town said abusive, condescending **** about us "flatlanders," and how many people volunteered things like "you guys won the game, but you still have to go back to Oklahoma!" Heck, these things were just volunteered out of the blue. I'm not a smack talker at games.

I go to most away games, and these were by far some of the most inhospitable people (those in town, not necessarily associated with the academy), ever.

C&CDean
9/22/2006, 04:05 PM
I agree. That paper was a POS, dogging Oklahoma the entire time. Plus, I can't tell you how many people in that town said abusive, condescending **** about us "flatlanders," and how many people volunteered things like "you guys won the game, but you still have to go back to Oklahoma!" Heck, these things were just volunteered out of the blue. I'm not a smack talker at games.

I go to most away games, and these were by far some of the most inhospitable people (those in town, not necessarily associated with the academy), ever.

Heh. I was born in Colorado Springs.

RacerX
9/22/2006, 04:13 PM
It's all making sense now....

Rhino
9/23/2006, 09:02 AM
You shoulda done what I did.

We left at 10pm the night before, stayed at my roomate's girlfriend's parent's house in the panhandle for a couple hours of shut-eye, continued on to the Springs, made it to the stadium about 30 minutes before, met up with my best friend from high school (who was at the AFA at the time), got our free tickets, sat on the field, watched us win, ate a free dinner, drove home.

Spent exactly $0 in Colorado Springs.