PDA

View Full Version : BCS experts:

Okla-homey
9/22/2006, 07:07 AM
IF Ohio State, uSucc and Auburn all finish their seasons undefeated, who gets left out of the MNC game?

sucky teams in bold

OSU schedule:
Northern Illinois
Texas
Cincinnati
Penn State
Iowa
Bowling Green
Michigan State
Indiana
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Michigan

uSucc schedule
Arkansas
Nebraska
Arizona
Washington State
Washington
Arizona State
Oregon State
Stanford
Oregon
California
UCLA

Auburn schedule
Washington State
Mississippi State
LSU
Buffalo
South Carolina
Arkansas
Florida
Tulane
Mississippi
Arkansas State
Georgia
Alabama

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2006, 07:10 AM
OU

soonerinabilene
9/22/2006, 07:31 AM
osu goes for being #1 for the entire season, and if you think an undefeated usuck team is going to be left out of the title game, ill take some of whatever you are smoking. auburn would get left out again,

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 07:34 AM
wHO IS TO SAY they all finish undefeated?

tOSU still has Michigan and Iowa to play.
SC has Cal and Oregon and Notre Dame.
Auburn is GOING to lose..they have too many good teams to play.

What scares me is the fact that WV and Louisville have no one left but themselves to play. Same with TCU. Of those 3 schools right there 2 of them will probably finish undefeated..

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2006, 07:37 AM
wHO IS TO SAY they all finish undefeated?
I'm pretty sure the "IF" wasn't implying that it was a high probability.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 07:41 AM
What if.......

We added a playoff and revamped College Footballs structure geographically, and sent all those weird schools back to division 1AA....

If the world was mine, I would make 8 Conferences of 12 teams. Make all 8 Conferences has a championship game and then send the winners into a 2 week playoff. Then have the final two remaining teams play for the NC in January. After the playoff is done, Bowl Bids should be announced.

The CCG's would be so good, they would be like BCS matchups anyway. We would get more football, and would have a clear national champ not based on opinions AND would we would get to keep all the Bowl atmosphere.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2006, 07:44 AM
Bowl bids after the MNC is decided would be more useless than most of them are right now.

There shouldn't be a game after the NC game. It's an exclamation point, not a comma.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 07:45 AM
Here is my proposed Division 1A....
It divides the superpowers and sends most of the scrubs back to 1AA..

PAC-10

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
Boise State
Fresno State
USC
UCLA
Hawaii
Nevada

MOUNTAIN WEST

BYU
Air Force
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah State
UNLV
Colorado
Colorado State
Wyoming
New Mexico
New Mexico State

BIG XII

Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Texas Tech
SMU
Tulsa
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
UTEP
Texas
Baylor

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY

Rice
Houston
Arkansas
LSU
Tulane
Louisiana Tech
Missouri
S. Miss
Miss State
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Louisville

SOUTHAST CONFERENCE

Miami
UCF
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Clemson
South Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
North Carolina
NC State

C-USA

Auburn
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
Bowling Green
West Virginia
Marshall
Cincinatti
Toledo
UAB
Troy State

ACC

Maryland
Navy
Georgetown
Rutgers
Penn State
Temple
Boston College
Syracuse
Army
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Virginia

BIG 10

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Notre Dame
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa State

Potential CCG’s

Big XII: Texas- OU
Big 10: Ohio State- Michigan
SEC: Georgia- Florida State
ACC: V-Tech- Penn State
C-USA- W.Vrginia- Auburn
PAC-10- Oregon-USC
MVC- LSU-Louisville
MWC- Arizona St- Utah

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 07:47 AM
Bowl bids after the MNC is decided would be more useless than most of them are right now.

There shouldn't be a game after the NC game. It's an exclamation point, not a comma.

No no no...the playoffs with the 8 Conference Champs would be before the bowl bids, but the Championship Game (the final game) would be played after all the bowls.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2006, 07:50 AM
No no no...the playoffs with the 8 Conference Champs would be before the bowl bids, but the Championship Game (the final game) would be played after all the bowls.
Still don't like it.

A team with national championship asperartions that got beat in the playoffs would just be a lame duck in a bowl game. Or are they exclued?......which doesn't make sense to me either.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 07:50 AM
1st Week in December- Conference Championships
2nd Week in December- Round 1 BCS Playoffs (4 games)
3rd Week in December- Round 2 BCS Playoofs (2 games)
Bowl Bids immediately following

1st Week in January Regular Bowl Games
2nd Week in January BCS Bowls followed by BCS Playoff Championship

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 07:52 AM
to make it to the MNC a team would have to

1. Win the conference championship
2. Win the playoff of conference champs

no humans involved in deciding the National Champ.

SOONER44EVER
9/22/2006, 08:44 AM
Still don't like it.

A team with national championship asperartions that got beat in the playoffs would just be a lame duck in a bowl game. Or are they exclued?......which doesn't make sense to me either.
In the present system only 2 teams aren't lame ducks. At least this way more teams would have a chance.

critical_phil
9/22/2006, 08:58 AM
Here is my proposed Division 1A....
It divides the superpowers and sends most of the scrubs back to 1AA..

ACC

Maryland
Navy
Georgetown
Rutgers
Penn State
Temple
Boston College
Syracuse
Army
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Virginia

i'm hoping this was a typo.

actually, i've always thought that D1 college football needed a reduction in the number of teams and a realignment of conferences.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 09:04 AM
tOSU is left out.

They are currently 2nd, with the lower SOS, and NO conf championhip game.

SelmaBamaFan
9/22/2006, 09:19 AM
Sorry, No way Bama, Auburn, and UT leave the SEC for C-USA. Also, there is ZERO chance of Georgia Tech EVER rejoining the SEC. Way too much bad blood in that instance.

I know its all hypothetical, but atleast be realistic about it. Too many teams have too much history with their respective conferences just to pack up and leave. It would work if you make the realignment a bit more realistic.

1991SOONER
9/22/2006, 09:55 AM
IF
uSucc schedule
Arkansas
Nebraska
Arizona
Washington State
Washington
Arizona State
Oregon State
Stanford
Oregon
California
UCLA

You forgot Notre Dame in USCs schedule. A big game for them. Although I'll pick USC over Notre Dame, ND could play spoiler...

Nate Johnson
9/22/2006, 10:57 AM
Okla-homey, I don't think Florida State is in the SEC. Maybe you meant Florida.

flopshotjoe99
9/22/2006, 11:04 AM
tOSU is left out.

USC has no conference championship game either.;)

caphorns
9/22/2006, 11:06 AM
Are you sure Florida isn't going to beat Auburn and win out? I'm not.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 11:12 AM
USC has no conference championship game either.;)

your right. But the computers are loving them.

tbl
9/22/2006, 11:13 AM
This year could be the catalyst for a playoff. If tOSU, WV/Louisville, Auburn/Florida, & USuC all go undefeated, there is going to be absolute chaos.

Those are all big if's, but it's definitely possible.

Octavian
9/22/2006, 11:16 AM
USC is in a major media hub and they'll be coming off a win over Notre Dame...they'll have plenty of media support.

tOSU won't drop from #1.

Sorry, Auburn....again.

snp
9/22/2006, 11:18 AM
Maybe the most ridiculous thing ever typed

Wow, you don't seem to understand college football at all.

tOSU is left out.

Currently 1 in both the polls. :confused:

tOSU and Auburn play. USC will get screwed out because Auburn isn't getting screwed outta anything and Ohio State runs the table.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 11:19 AM
USC is in a major media hub and they'll be coming off a win over Notre Dame...they'll have plenty of media support.

tOSU won't drop from #1.

Sorry, Auburn....again.

You gota feel bad for Auburn...

Two undefeated Seasons in the last 13 years and nothing to show for it. Thats not an easy task being in the SEC either.

1993 Auburn (11-0) Probaation No Bowl Game
2004 Auburn (13-0) SEC Champs, not selected for NC

mrowl
9/22/2006, 11:21 AM
Wow, you don't seem to understand college football at all.

Currently 1 in both the polls. :confused:

tOSU and Auburn play. USC will get screwed out because Auburn isn't getting screwed outta anything and Ohio State runs the table.

remember the bcs doesn't include AP

tOSU will be left out

Octavian
9/22/2006, 11:24 AM

Two undefeated Seasons in the last 13 years and nothing to show for it. Thats not an easy task being in the SEC either.

1993 Auburn (11-0) Probaation No Bowl Game
2004 Auburn (13-0) SEC Champs, not selected for NC

yeah...that stings.

In '93, there wasn't much doubt that (after BC beat Notre Dame) the title game was going to be Florida St. and Nebraska.

In '04, the two teams who started the year ranked #1 and #2 ran the table.

In '06, they need to win big and hope Brady Quinn pulls his head out.

Octavian
9/22/2006, 11:26 AM
I hope that doesn't happen though...we should all be big fans of whoever plays tOSU b/c of the Heisman race.

snp
9/22/2006, 11:28 AM
remember the bcs doesn't include AP

tOSU will be left out

And the Harris poll isn't out yet either, what's your point?

As for the computer polls which you claim love USC:

Sargain, Anderson, and Wolfe - Not out yet
Massey - LOLtastic - Wake is ranked 3rd right now
USC 12, Auburn 13, OSU 38

Matrix - once again, LOL. BC is ranked 1. Auburn 3, OSU 6, USC 7

Billingsley - OSU 1, USC 2, Auburn 4

And straight from one of those polls

Early season ratings will fluctuate significantly until a sufficient number of games have been played.

Computers don't mean jack right now.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 11:30 AM
WOW..at those computer rankings. If those arent rasing some eyebrows at the BCS then something is very very WRONG.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 11:32 AM
sagarin is out.

AVG Computer rankings this week.

USC: 4.50 (2)
tOSU: 9.25 (7)
Auburn: 5.50 (3)

and I don't know where you got those numbers from, but they are the old ones.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 11:34 AM
and, since the harris isn't out yet, AP is being used to compute the top 5.

1 Southern California 2-0 0.9091
2 Ohio State 3-0 0.8911
3 Auburn 3-0 0.8855
4 Michigan 3-0 0.8068
5 Florida 3-0 0.7991

snp
9/22/2006, 11:35 AM
Um, straight from their websites which had the dates listed?

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/rankings

They aren't old and like I said earlier, they mean absolutely nothing right now.

Edit: And what are you talking about AP has USC number 1? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/appoll.htm

Are you going off last years rankings or something?

mrowl
9/22/2006, 12:18 PM
Um, straight from their websites which had the dates listed?

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/rankings

They aren't old and like I said earlier, they mean absolutely nothing right now.

Edit: And what are you talking about AP has USC number 1? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/appoll.htm

Are you going off last years rankings or something?

you have the massey numbers wrong, don't use group 0, use 1a

and no, what I posted was not AP, it was the current BCS.

SoonerInKCMO
9/22/2006, 12:27 PM
WOW..at those computer rankings. If those arent rasing some eyebrows at the BCS then something is very very WRONG.

It shouldn't raise any eyebrows because they know the computer rankings aren't very good until enough games have been played that all the teams are 'connected'. IIRC from last year, it'll be two more weeks before that happens.

snp
9/22/2006, 12:36 PM
you have the massey numbers wrong, don't use group 0, use 1a

and no, what I posted was not AP, it was the current BCS.

So what? They still have Wake Forest at 3, which goes along with my next point:

There is no current BCS. It means absolutely nothing because the computers need several games to be played before they can get a better idea how to rank them.

Are you going off one of those guys that projects the computer ranking's sites or something? Where are you getting your numbers.

Luthor
9/22/2006, 12:38 PM
What if.......

We added a playoff and revamped College Footballs structure geographically, and sent all those weird schools back to division 1AA....

If the world was mine, I would make 8 Conferences of 12 teams. Make all 8 Conferences has a championship game and then send the winners into a 2 week playoff. Then have the final two remaining teams play for the NC in January. After the playoff is done, Bowl Bids should be announced.

The CCG's would be so good, they would be like BCS matchups anyway. We would get more football, and would have a clear national champ not based on opinions AND would we would get to keep all the Bowl atmosphere.

The biggest problem with your idea is that it is obviously correct. Based on this it cannot possibly happen. Added to this is the fact that a play off system would relegate all of those meaningless regional chicken turd bowl games to even less significance than they already suffer from now. Winning the Alamo Used Kitchen Appliances.com Bowl would be meaningless and aggy would boycott.

mrowl
9/22/2006, 12:57 PM
So what? They still have Wake Forest at 3, which goes along with my next point:

There is no current BCS. It means absolutely nothing because the computers need several games to be played before they can get a better idea how to rank them.

Are you going off one of those guys that projects the computer ranking's sites or something? Where are you getting your numbers.

the point is that I don't think tOSU is going to be in the top 2.

And if you know the formula, you can get the rankings.

Luthor
9/22/2006, 01:43 PM
Because trojan is (once again, I can't believe it) the only real football team in the Puke10 and ND was (once again, I can't believe it) over hyped and over rated, they will once again go undefeated...again.

Penn State will not recover in time to handle tOSU and the only other trip hazzard for buckeye is UM in their last regular season game.

Unless things go completely in the crapper I think it's a no brainer for tOSU and trojan for the MNC and trojan looses...again.

OnlyOneOklahoma
9/22/2006, 03:03 PM
BigIke you put 12 teams in the Big 10...im so dissapointed

TexasSooner01
9/22/2006, 03:48 PM
I still think USC sucks! they are Gey

1991SOONER
9/22/2006, 04:02 PM
I still think USC sucks! they are Gey

Best post I've seen all day

TexasSooner01
9/22/2006, 04:20 PM
:pop:
Best post I've seen all day

Thank You!

Cr@zySooner
9/22/2006, 04:37 PM
I know I am new here, but I though I would throw this out there. I think Michigan might beat tOSU this year and be a contender. As for USC, I hope they lose to Notre Dame. Although I dislike both of those schools as well.

Or the ultimate dream would be all the top 5 teams lose at least one game this year, that might throw a kink in the system.:D

TexasSooner01
9/22/2006, 04:40 PM
I have tons of family in Moore, OK. Nice Town! I still think USC sucks and they are still Gey;)

Jewstin
9/22/2006, 05:00 PM
I honestly don't think we're going to see an undefeated team come out of the SEC this season. I just don't see it ... too many bad teams (yeah, I said it -- bad). Everyone likes to talk about the suffocating defenses in that conference, but I think the perception is skewed because most of the offenses are just plain lousy, with the exception probably being Florida. Florida has been a "title contender" ever since Chris Leak stepped on campus, and they always blow it ... will be no different this season.

The major worry is USC, Ohio State/Michigan (winner of that, I imagine, will remain undefeated), and West Virginia. Louisville lost both Brohm AND Bush to injury, so they might be tripped up at some point. I guess all we can do is hope for West Virginia to lose a game against one of those high school opponents. Maybe their huddle will get struck by lightning?

SelmaBamaFan
9/22/2006, 05:18 PM

It probably explains why the BCS isnt released until after week 8.

1991SOONER
9/22/2006, 05:50 PM
One thing is for sure, the BCS controversy is alive and well and not going away anytime soon. Looks like its going to be another Broken Computer Season..

MiccoMacey
9/22/2006, 06:06 PM
I know I am new here, but I though I would throw this out there. I think Michigan might beat tOSU this year and be a contender. As for USC, I hope they lose to Notre Dame. Although I dislike both of those schools as well.

Or the ultimate dream would be all the top 5 teams lose at least one game this year, that might throw a kink in the system.:D

1) I taught at Moore High School.

2) Michigan WILL beat tOSU. Mark it down.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2006, 08:28 PM
In the present system only 2 teams aren't lame ducks. At least this way more teams would have a chance.
by lame duck, I meant that they didn't even have much motivation to win. Like KSU VS Pudue a few years back.

OUinFLA
9/22/2006, 09:19 PM

except for those Natl Championship rings they had made for themselves.
:D