PDA

View Full Version : saw all of the Oregon game last night for the first time

picasso
9/22/2006, 06:46 AM
per ESPNU.

why so conservative inside the 10? aside from the stupid penalties and especially in the 4th quarter?
why just run AD up the middle in that close? you figure an endzone pass to a WR or trying AD once to the outside.

I really hope we weren't running up the gut just for FG purposes.:(

BermudaSooner
9/22/2006, 06:50 AM
Maybe because the Ducks had AD in a headlock, holding him up and hitting him out of bounds.

picasso
9/22/2006, 06:54 AM
Maybe because the Ducks had AD in a headlock, holding him up and hitting him out of bounds.
it did look like he was purposely kneed in the mid-section by the 2nd tackler on the sideline run in which he came out late.
I also think Cooper's omjury killed some momentum down there.

sucks eh.

william_brasky
9/22/2006, 06:57 AM
I was asking myself the same thing picasso.

A bootleg with run/pass or an option play I would like to have seen as well. PT's athletic. He could make some runs. Heck, Heupel ran the ball in a number of times.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/22/2006, 07:03 AM
Very true. Giving the ball to AD every time should eventually bust him in. Our O line wasn't gettting a good push though.

Maybe if we gave AD a couple of 80 lb dumbells he could just jump in.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/22/2006, 07:04 AM
BTW, I was looking for that run pass option too.

usmc-sooner
9/22/2006, 07:16 AM
I don't think we're going to see the PT running game.

picasso
9/22/2006, 07:20 AM
I was asking myself the same thing picasso.

A bootleg with run/pass or an option play I would like to have seen as well. PT's athletic. He could make some runs. Heck, Heupel ran the ball in a number of times.
well we did run PT on a naked bootleg when Patrik came in. actually a good call but they were all over it.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/22/2006, 07:30 AM
Pity, cause he has wheels.

jmr_77
9/22/2006, 07:55 AM
What happened to throwing to the TE? That worked pretty well, IMO, the first 2 games. Some very conservative playcalling in the red zone so far.

PalmBeachSooner
9/22/2006, 08:20 AM
According to Bob he didn't want to try anything to the outside and risk losing yards. They should have been able to pound it up the middle for a score. It goes back to what KW and the new OL coach were saying in training camp. THe OL needs to play with more attitued and toughness.

picasso
9/22/2006, 08:25 AM
According to Bob he didn't want to try anything to the outside and risk losing yards. They should have been able to pound it up the middle for a score. It goes back to what KW and the new OL coach were saying in training camp. THe OL needs to play with more attitued and toughness.
well yeah in theory that sounds great but they were stacked on us inside the 10.

SOONER44EVER
9/22/2006, 08:35 AM
well we did run PT on a naked bootleg when Patrik came in. actually a good call but they were all over it.
That was about the dumbest time we could have run it. Run it while AD is still in the game. The whole D was keying on AD and PT might have had some good yardage.

jwlynn64
9/22/2006, 08:43 AM

I'm not a coach or anything but, if you have run the ball up the middle about 20 times prior and you have had success on only one of those occasions, why would you continue to do that?

If I have one complaint about our coaching staff, they are not flexible. The go in with a game plan and they don't seem to ever make any adjustments.

SOONER44EVER
9/22/2006, 08:45 AM
I'm not a coach or anything but, if you have run the ball up the middle about 20 times prior and you have had success on only one of those occasions, why would you continue to do that?

If I have one complaint about our coaching staff, they are not flexible. The go in with a game plan and they don't seem to ever make any adjustments.
And if we run something once and it works we never try it again.

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 09:10 AM
Could this be the first "fire the OC" thread? Could it? Can we get a ruling?

SOONER44EVER
9/22/2006, 09:16 AM
Send it to the replay booth. :D

picasso
9/22/2006, 09:21 AM
That was about the dumbest time we could have run it. Run it while AD is still in the game. The whole D was keying on AD and PT might have had some good yardage.
that's kind of what I was thinking too. I love that play but you have to sell it with AD in there.

I'm just saying I wish we would've run wide just once.

picasso
9/22/2006, 09:22 AM
yes it could be.:D

hey I'm more than pleased with our offense. I just don't like kicking FG's after first and goal.

stoopified
9/22/2006, 09:23 AM
per ESPNU.

why so conservative inside the 10? aside from the stupid penalties and especially in the 4th quarter?
why just run AD up the middle in that close? you figure an endzone pass to a WR or trying AD once to the outside.

I really hope we weren't running up the gut just for FG purposes.:(To me it was more of the same old same old.We saw it a lot last year too.When OU gets the lead in the second half OR has the lead at half we get real conservative,mostly AD on first,second and third UNLESS itis third and long.

Last year everyone blamed Chuck Long for being so predictable in the second half of games we had decent leads in at half(Baylor,NU,aTm.Osu.Second half O was AD to the right,to the left,and up the middle,repeat as neede d til the clock runs out.I said then it was because of Bob not Chuck,and guess whAt?This is Coach Stoops doing too,not K.Wilson.We have been doing this since the Sugar Bowl loss to LSU.Coach said after the game we NEED to be able to run when we WANT to,not just when we need to.

For those that marvel that ADs' production is higher in the second half,look at the numbers,he CARRIES more in the second half and we PASS less.This is not an indictment of coach Stoops,hell I have a man-crush on him(check username) but I am bringing to light his tendency to want us to rein the offense in when we are in the lead by at least a TD.

IMHO this trait is what made the Baylor,NU,aTm games closer than they had to be last year and it bit us in the a$$ this year settling for fgs instead of TDs.I am a loyal fan and have bled crimson since I saw my first OU game(OU-osu '69) but I do call 'em like I see 'em. On the other hand I realize that if I knew more about coaching than Bob,I would be the OU coach.Untill that time (when HELL freezes over)I'll continue to support my coach and my team,even if I sisagree with playcalling or anything else.

picasso
9/22/2006, 09:28 AM
hey conservative works if you have a solid defense.:(

jwlynn64
9/22/2006, 09:45 AM

Not on my part. I like what KW has been doing lately. My only criticism is that when we had a chance to really put the game away, they got a little too conservative and ran plays with a low chance of success that were less likely to lead to a turnover instead of going for the throat.

As it turned out, we should have been OK with those plays but... well, we all know what happened.

Tear Down This Wall
9/22/2006, 09:53 AM
hey conservative works if you have a solid defense.:(

Venables agrees

Defensive woes trouble coaches
By MIKE JONES
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables is a man of action, who attacks a problem with the focus of immediate solution.

But Venables admitted this week he's as mystified as at any time in his career by the inconsistent play from his defense through three games.

"There's some truth in that," he said. "It's the lack of consistency that frustrates you."

Venables cited a period of last week's game when OU held Oregon to a net loss of 7 yards through seven plays, "Then boom -- 19 yards," he said. "Know what I mean?"

Another example.

"They have three runs of 20 yards each and we're gapped out [correctly], our numbers are there -- and one guy doesn't do what he's supposed to do," Venables fumed. "It's simple, but it's obvious we're not getting it done. It starts with me being more demanding and getting out of our guys what we want."

OU's defensive staff has juggled players, strongly urged accountability and strengthened tackling drills. Nothing has produced the desired result. A Sooners defense that was supposed to carry this team early ranks 97th in Division I-A in total defense, 94th against the rush, 89th in pass defense and 75th in scoring.

Statistically, it is the worst defense in the Big 12 entering Saturday's final nonconference game against Middle Tennessee (2-1).

"I've never seen us play like this for three games straight," end Calvin Thibodeaux said. "It's something that is very disturbing, especially for a senior having seen great defenses come through here.

"We definitely want to get this fixed as soon as possible, because we're supposed to be one of the strong points on this team."

OU's inability to consistently stop the run, a revolving door of personnel in the secondary as coaches search for the right combination that will produce consistency and breakdowns in assignment discipline are all contributors.

The subplot is the defense is relatively experienced.

"There are a lot of these players, the biggest majority, that played well through last year that I believe have a chance to still [do that] this year," coach Bob Stoops said. "But we've got to get it out of them."

The defense has played well in the middle quarters, but has started slowly and finished badly.

"To me," Stoops said, "when you can play so well in between, I've got to feel some of it is focus or intensity, and we can be more disciplined late and be more ready to play [early]."

Moving Reggie Smith to boundary cornerback and the play of Marcus Walker opposite him on the wide side of the field against Oregon might lead to more consistency.

"I guess we're still feeling each other out a little bit," Smith said. "But then again, we just have to get better. Stuff like this [through three games] can never happen again.

"I know we have the people to do it, it's just getting out there and doing it."

StoopTroup
9/22/2006, 10:01 AM
That's hard to read.

I hope we start getting it done soon.

KC//CRIMSON
9/22/2006, 10:02 AM
per ESPNU.

I really hope we weren't running up the gut just for FG purposes.:(

Playing not to lose.:rolleyes: It's seems like the same thing every year. Every time OU get's a lead late in the game, they sand bag it and hope it's enough to win the game.

picasso
9/22/2006, 10:09 AM
kind of what like the Tulsa world picker said last week, maybe we miss tackles because we....can't tackle?
take Jason Carter for example, on one particular play he had UO's Stewart in the backfield and kind of flyiing bumped him rather than trying to tackle him.

if the dude is bigger just hit him low and wrap up.

DarrellZero
The point is, Stoops and Wilson played it just right. A field goal there made a two-touchdown game. Sound strategy.

Even after Oregon's 2nd to last touchdown, I told my Dad, "There's only one last play we need to make to close out this game: recover the onside kick." This is the percentage play; it's hard for the kicking team to recover onside kicks. You have to not be offside, have to let the ball go 10 yards, have to recover the ball.

The refs completely abdicated their responsibility to ensure that the rules pertaining to onside kicks were followed. Had they adhered to this responsibility, we're not having this conversation.

MamaMia
"It's simple, but it's obvious we're not getting it done. It starts with me being more demanding and getting out of our guys what we want."I hope he has a day circled on his calendar to do this.

picasso
9/22/2006, 10:11 AM
The point is, Stoops and Wilson played it just right. A field goad there made a two-touchdown game. Sound strategy.

Even after Oregon's 2nd to last touchdown, I told my Dad, "There's only one last play we need to make to close out this game: recover the onside kick." This is the percentage play; it's hard for the kicking team to recover onside kicks. You have to not be offside, have to let the ball go 10 yards, have to recover the ball.

The refs completely abdicated their responsibility to ensure that the rules pertaining to onside kicks were followed. Had they adhered to this responsibility, we're not having this conversation.
agreed on the offensive discussion.

I'm still worried that Texas is going to run roughshod over us.

KC//CRIMSON
9/22/2006, 10:14 AM
agreed on the offensive discussion.

I'm still worried that Texas is going to run roughshod over us.

all they have to do is tackle that little midget the first time they touch him and it's game over for the most part.

picasso
9/22/2006, 10:16 AM
all they have to do is tackle that little midget the first time they touch him and it's game over for the most part.
kinda like that 80 yard run last year when he ran into a pile, spun and broke free? somebody should have taken his head off on that play.:mad:

I gotta admit we're a much much better team than last year at this time. we just still seem to missing the mojo.

DarrellZero
9/22/2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe I'm just being pollyanish, but it seems to me that everytime people start doubting Stoops, his teams, especially his defenses, get much better.

The exception is last year's TX game, which was basically hopeless without AD. Even so, the defense played pretty well until we gave up that 80-yard touchdown run right before the half.

KC//CRIMSON
9/22/2006, 10:24 AM
kinda like that 80 yard run last year when he ran into a pile, spun and broke free? somebody should have taken his head off on that play.:mad:

I gotta admit we're a much much better team than last year at this time. we just still seem to missing the mojo.

yeah, that was the play where two OU defensive players ran into each other and tattoo bolted between the two before the recoil.:D

jwlynn64
9/22/2006, 10:30 AM
They actually gave that up earlier in the half. We were doing pretty respectable going into the half but then Vince hit an open reciever for like a fifty yard TD right before the half.

Dan Thompson
9/22/2006, 10:38 AM
I watched Stoops TV last night and was surprised that during our last drive and before our last score (FG) we ran out of bounds three times! If we had stayed in bounds we could have taken a lot of time off the clock.

Then on the kick off, we kick the ball out of bounds! Just plain mental mistakes IMHO.

GrapevineSooner
9/22/2006, 10:51 AM
I watched Stoops TV last night and was surprised that during our last drive and before our last score (FG) we ran out of bounds three times! If we had stayed in bounds we could have taken a lot of time off the clock.

Then on the kick off, we kick the ball out of bounds! Just plain mental mistakes IMHO.

Plenty to go around.