PDA

View Full Version : Position Changes/Starts

The VIIIth
9/21/2006, 11:41 PM
This is a synopsis of what I've both read and heard throughout the week. Does it sound about right?

Matt Clapp probably will not play. Beeler will start for Cooper. Alan Davis has been moved to FB/TE. AD wants to be a gunner on punt returns but Stoops won't let him. He will continue to return KOs. DJ will get some game reps. I'm guessing Clapp and Cooper are not being played in a low stakes game just to get extra healing time.

Anything else?

OklahomaTuba
9/21/2006, 11:43 PM
Have we switched positions at defensive coordinator yet?

75 in the nation in scoring defense, and LAST in the big 12 in total D really sucks.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/21/2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah BV made Nic Harris get burnt on the last TD...

Readyfor8
9/21/2006, 11:57 PM
BV gets a head coaching job at the end of the season, guaranteed!!!

Blue
9/21/2006, 11:58 PM
Well Ad can do whatever he wants to, but I'd like to see some return skills.

Iglesias looked better, but hopefull it's an even switch.

OklahomaTuba
9/22/2006, 12:01 AM

The stats don't lie man.

We are ranked #97 in Total D.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000522.HTML

Readyfor8
9/22/2006, 12:47 AM
The stats don't lie man.

We are ranked #97 in Total D.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/ranking_summary/2006000000522.HTML

Stats are for sissy mary's and oregonians....

The defense is better now than it was 3 weeks ago, and thats all that matters.

badger
9/22/2006, 12:47 AM
walker and smith at corner.

sooner969
9/22/2006, 11:51 AM

At this point, who do you think would hire him?

Socrefbek
9/22/2006, 11:58 AM

Aggie Light :confused:

JohnnyMack
9/22/2006, 11:59 AM

Tulsa Union still needs its first win of the season. He could go there.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2006, 12:00 PM

That whole "peek in the backfield and watch as the WR goes streaking by me" is a BJW technique I do fear. That's what got DJ sent to the bench.

magic33216
9/22/2006, 12:06 PM
Hey, I am new here, is there a rule that we cannot post new threads until our post count gets up? If so it makes since, to keep spamming at minimum. Anyway do you think DeMarco Murray (RB) will get some playing time near the end of the game? I have been anxious to see him play.

IronSooner
9/22/2006, 12:09 PM
The defense is better now than it was 3 weeks ago, and thats all that matters.

I fail to see how...

boomrsoonr
9/22/2006, 12:16 PM

Maybe at Utah Jr College. Nobody is going to hire him to be HC with defensive stats in the lower tier.

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 12:59 PM
Well Ad can do whatever he wants to, but I'd like to see some return skills.

Iglesias looked better, but hopefull it's an even switch.

No disrespect to Iglesias, but Reggie Smith wasn't getting any returns. They knew to kick it to #9. Now what do you do, AD or Reggie? I'm perfectly fine with either option.

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 01:01 PM
Hey, I am new here, is there a rule that we cannot post new threads until our post count gets up? If so it makes since, to keep spamming at minimum. Anyway do you think DeMarco Murray (RB) will get some playing time near the end of the game? I have been anxious to see him play.

I'm definitely not in the know, but I'm not real sure we're going to see Murray this year unless AD gets hurt. Stoops has said with the reduction in plays due to the clock rule changes AD doesn't need a break and they've left him in the game. Patrick's carries vs. Oregon were the first rushes by a RB other than AD this season.

OUstudent4life
9/22/2006, 01:01 PM

Pretty sure he'll redshirt the whole year.

"Turf toe" at the beginning of the season, in Stoopsese = Missing half of his foot, and they haven't found it yet.

:D

Egeo
9/22/2006, 01:10 PM
No disrespect to Iglesias, but Reggie Smith wasn't getting any returns. They knew to kick it to #9. Now what do you do, AD or Reggie? I'm perfectly fine with either option.
#9 was averaging over 30 yards per return...

snp
9/22/2006, 01:16 PM
Iglesias looked a lot better than AD returning kicks.

Murray RS the whole year.

I'm still pro-BV, but that scheme looked pretty crappy on that play. Safety playing man-on-man with no help over the top? Most safeties are going to get beat in that situation.

Paperclip
9/22/2006, 01:16 PM
#9 was averaging over 30 yards per return...

Like I said, no disrespect. I just like the AD/Reggie combo better than the Iglesias/Reggie one.

toast
9/22/2006, 01:24 PM
poster on ouinsider is saying walker/holmes starting at corners with reggie moving to ss, anyone else heard this?

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 01:30 PM
In the search for a more balanced and consistent secondary the Sooners will move sophomore Reggie Smith back to strong safety where he will start alongside Darrien Williams who will be the free safety.

OU will go with Lendy Holmes at boundary corner and Marcus Walker at field corner to start the game, but D.J. Wolfe will also get some playing time at boundary corner.

Yeah, it's official: the coaches are scared.

OUstudent4life
9/22/2006, 01:35 PM
poster on ouinsider is saying walker/holmes starting at corners with reggie moving to ss, anyone else heard this?

Per the Oklahoman:

Reggie gets it: Oklahoma sophomore Reggie Smith only played strong safety last season. This year, he moved to cornerback, began returning punts and has seen a few snaps as a slot receiver.

Last week, coaches threw another change at Smith, moving him from the field corner position to the boundary, or short, side of the field. After only a week of practice at the new position, Smith played well against Oregon.

Coaches say it's Smith's ability to learn quickly that allows him to make such a transition.

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables wasn't at all surprised by Smith's performance

"It's amazing what good players can do," Venables said. "We were hoping it would transition as smooth as it did. It didn't surprise us, because Reggie's instinctive. He gets it."

Smith will stay on the boundary side this week, with junior Marcus Walker making his first start of the season at the field corner.

RacerX
9/22/2006, 02:43 PM

I've been telling people at work that very thing.

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 02:48 PM
Is a head coaching job our version of "sleeping with the fishes"?

oumartin
9/22/2006, 02:56 PM
a better pash rush will make the secondary look tons better.

RacerX
9/22/2006, 03:15 PM
Is a head coaching job our version of "sleeping with the fishes"?

The first rule about Fight Flub....

Archangel
9/22/2006, 04:11 PM
a better pash rush will make the secondary look tons better.

Amen brother

Readyfor8
9/22/2006, 04:32 PM

BV is ready for a small HC position somewhere. Who would have said Chuck Long would get a job after 3 games last season.

I fail to see how...

Then you are as blind as those Oregon refs. They held that team in Oregon to 10 points in 51 minutes. They had 4 forced turnovers. And while they gave up yardage, they were playing a top 20 team jackass!

mightysooner
9/22/2006, 04:47 PM
BV is ready for a small HC position somewhere. Who would have said Chuck Long would get a job after 3 games last season.

Then you are as blind as those Oregon refs. They held that team in Oregon to 10 points in 51 minutes. They had 4 forced turnovers. And while they gave up yardage, they were playing a top 20 team jackass!

Why are people still defending Venables? We got our first glimpse of how he was going to be the night he officially took over in the Big XII title game against K-State. Our defense couldn't stop anything. We also saw him get destroyed and outcoached off his *** against USC in the Orange Bowl. His defenses have been consistently porous...especially in the back four. He doesn't call good defenses during the game and his players always look confused and unprepared. Players take on the personalities of their coaches as they say. Venables is confused and unprepared as a coach and it's showing up on the field. He wasn't ready for the job people. How can anyone deny that? We need to cut him loose and restaff with somebody who's proven, not another internal promotion from within that Bob seems so fond of. That's why Stoops is in the position he's in right now. He's blindly loyal to a fault and thinks he can help the careers of his buddies, and win at the same time. It's killing him right now.....

Readyfor8
9/22/2006, 04:58 PM
Why are people still defending Venables? We got our first glimpse of how he was going to be the night he officially took over in the Big XII title game against K-State. Our defense couldn't stop anything. We also saw him get destroyed and outcoached off his *** against USC in the Orange Bowl. His defenses have been consistently porous...especially in the back four. He doesn't call good defenses during the game and his players always look confused and unprepared. Players take on the personalities of their coaches as they say. Venables is confused and unprepared as a coach and it's showing up on the field. He wasn't ready for the job people. How can anyone deny that? We need to cut him loose and restaff with somebody who's proven, not another internal promotion from within that Bob seems so fond of. That's why Stoops is in the position he's in right now. He's blindly loyal to a fault and thinks he can help the careers of his buddies, and win at the same time. It's killing him right now.....

I'm defending him because I don't think he is the problem. Our defensive backfield is the problem right now. We have lost speed on the line. And people have learned that we over utilize our Linebackers.

Last year we were singing praises of Brent Venebles Defense. How our defense was playing was great, and they kept us in the games last year. Now since Chuck Long is gone, everyone is piling on Brent Venebles, If you are going to say he "took over in KState" you are ignoring his first 5 years as Co Defensive Coordinator.

Venebles should be given time to turn this around. And at the end of the year someone will offer him another job that is a step up from this one (probably a minor step up.) And BTW you didn't refute the point that the defense is better than they were 2 games ago.

C&CDean
9/22/2006, 05:02 PM

Ease up bud. If you ain't gonna follow the board rules, you'll get a shoe knot on your punkin' quicker than you can say Texas sucks.

SoonersEnFuego
9/22/2006, 05:06 PM
Reggie Smith and Allen Patrick should be returning Kicks in my opinion.

sooner969
9/22/2006, 05:14 PM
Vulnerables won't be getting a head coaching job unless Bob has naked pictures of somebody's AD hidden somewhere for just such a case as this. Vulnerables isn't even ready to be a co-coordinator. He's had nothing but underperforming poorly prepared porous defense's since Mike left and this year's no different. He'll have to be fired but Stoops won't do it.

Desert Sapper
9/22/2006, 08:20 PM
Blaming BV for the mental meltdown against K-State is more than a little unfair. We didn't execute that game, through some preparation fault of BV (mostly player execution error), and couldn't stop Sproles. There's no reason we should have lost that game except the players started to believe their own hype -- bestest team in college football history or whatever. The next game, against LSU in the Sugar, we executed on D. We just couldn't punch in at the end of the game to win it (and we threw umpteen incomplete passes).

We haven't exactly replaced the players that we had in 2003, especially on the D-Line. Think about OUr front four that year. We had Dan Cody, Tommie Harris, Dusty D, and Jonathan Jackson. All four were playmakers, could break into the backfield, and disrupted things at the line of scrimmage. They were all juniors. If either one of the middle two (Harris or DD) came back in 2004, OUr D would have been infinitely better. With both of them, we wouldn't have had such a problem containing USC in the '05 OB. Everything starts at the line.

I have to admit I thought we would be pretty stout in the middle. The ends were executing much better last year, but DD was a big part of that. The two juniors we have in the middle aren't making plays for the most part, and the young guys don't have their football IQ high enough yet to be in the right position.

OUr secondary is still relatively young and inexperienced, despite having some major speed and talent. The QB run TD was the result of a hold. The second TD at the end of the game came after a BS interference call that got them close enough. Nic got caught on the look (a rookie mistake) and got beat deep. By the end of the year he won't be doing that. He is a true sophomore.

A little more execution on D like in between the first quarter and the last 2 minutes against Oregon, and this D could be very good. We still haven't played a full four quarters.

Egeo
9/22/2006, 11:57 PM
Vulnerables won't be getting a head coaching job unless Bob has naked pictures of somebody's AD hidden somewhere for just such a case as this. Vulnerables isn't even ready to be a co-coordinator. He's had nothing but underperforming poorly prepared porous defense's since Mike left and this year's no different. He'll have to be fired but Stoops won't do it.
someone said this about chuck long last year too...

soonerhubs
9/23/2006, 12:07 AM
Who was the DC when we shut out Texas two years ago?

sooner969
9/23/2006, 03:12 AM
If Texass had known how bad the secondary was or Davis the nuts to test it, we would've lost that game. Do you think the OJ bowl was some kind of aberration after watching his defenses?? It's his MO at this point.

Readyfor8
9/23/2006, 03:18 AM
If Texass had known how bad the secondary was or Davis the nuts to test it, we would've lost that game. Do you think the OJ bowl was some kind of abberation after watching his defenses?? It's his MO at this point.

Wow, when he wins its the other teams fault and when he loses its his fault. Is there any way that holding Texas to 240 total yards was even remotly due to BV?

Myopia look it up.

sooner969
9/23/2006, 03:39 AM
Haha, everybody on here talks about Davis being so bad but when he fails to capitalize on a blatant weakness in a team all of a sudden that makes the other guy a genius. My fine friend I think perhaps you should be doing something about your own eye problems instead of worrying about mine. I'd say Norm raped and pillaged what was obvious to many other teams.

Denial, try it on for a fit.

birddog
9/23/2006, 03:40 AM
uh...what?

Readyfor8
9/23/2006, 04:00 AM
Who is norm? I just have a little more respect for what BV has done compared to what you have done with your past 62 posts.

But hey, prove me wrong, im game.

yermom
9/23/2006, 04:07 AM
:norm:

i'm pretty sure he is talking about Norm Chow in TGOWWDNS

Readyfor8
9/23/2006, 04:16 AM
Oh yea, because Chow raped and pillaged what obvious to every other team. Thats why we beat every other team we played that year. Most Offensive Coordinators passed on this info to Norm Chow instead of using them for themselves.

That makes a ton of sense. I think I need another shot.

yermom
9/23/2006, 04:18 AM
pssstt...he's already baned

Readyfor8
9/23/2006, 04:19 AM
Anyone want some Jose? or some alchohol?

OldGuyinStudentSection
9/23/2006, 01:00 PM
BV is not being scapegoated. Fans are asking for improvement and accountability from the man who is the face of the OU defense that has given up 400yds per game against the #9, 45 and 100 ranked offenses in the country. He has at his disposal the type of talent that few other teams have recruited the past 4 years and the defensive units that were ranked almost unanimously by guru Phil Steele's as the best in the country. Individual players can only receive so much blame before the finger has to be pointed at those teaching them the techniques and calling the defensive schemes. I hope we see the defense of old today and the position changes help. Its' up to BV and Bob to turn around the defense.

Desert Sapper
9/23/2006, 05:29 PM
...I hope we see the defense of old today...

Amen, brother.

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2006, 05:36 PM
If they give up over 300 yards to this teams, then someone better start fireBV&BJW.com