PDA

View Full Version : A QB Question...

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2006, 07:32 PM
I guess enough time has passed by to actually ask a football question around here. ;)

You guys are kind of in the same situation Bama is in this year, so I'd like your opinions on this. All the media outlets give bad reviews when a new QB is brought into the fray each year. The 'experts' had their doubts about John Parker Wilson, Paul Thompson, and even the Booty kid from USC.

My question for you guys is:

What determines when a QB becomes 'experienced'? Is it pure playing time, or is it knowing the offense and how it works?

I ask this because we both have new QBs this year, you guys obviously were in recovery mode after the idiot incident. Howeve, both of our QBs have been in their respective systems for a couple years now, but just havent gotten to play. Both QB's aren't playing as if they are new QBs.

John Parker Wilson, who played in a college offensive system at Hoover to begin with, grayshirted coming out of highschool. This means he didnt enroll during the fall, and instead sat at home watching football with his dad while eatin 'tater chips. He enrolled in January, went through Spring and offseason workouts, and redshirted his freshman year. He is listed as a redshirt sophmore, but technically he is starting his fourth year in our system.

Paul Thompsons case is cleary known around these parts. Sure he was moved to WR, but he still learned the offense while out there.

Im asking this because even though both QB's are new as far as being on the field, they both have a lot of experience in the system. Because of this they havent made many new QB mistakes (yet), and seem to be progressing rather fast when given the opporunity. From the limited OU games I've been able to watch, it seems PT doesnt stick to one WR (a common young QB mistake), but instead goes through his reads at ease (read: without panic). JPW appears to do the same.

It is also given that neither of us are into the meat of our schedule, so I guess the answer remains to be seen. However, I am very confident in both PT and JPW's abilities to manage the game from what I've seen so far.

So my question once more, are these QBs experienced? Will they get a lot better with more playing time, or just more consistant? I undoubtably think their stats could get better as both teams' coaches will allow them to do more with the offense as time passes by. I also think both coaches could have let them do more earlier and it wouldnt have affected them that much.

oumartin
9/21/2006, 07:34 PM
isn't there a bama message board? ;)

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2006, 07:37 PM
I'd get two definitive answers from the Bama boards:

- He is god,

- I dont know about Coach Shula yet, he might not be the guy for the job.

I pretty much was looking for some objective answers. Not to mention the question also pertains to PT. I think he looked awesome against UO.

TUSooner
9/21/2006, 07:48 PM
I would say, yes. Definitely.

What was the question?

:O

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2006, 08:02 PM
To put it into Sooner terms:

Would you consider PT a 'new' QB when he has been in the system so long?

Would you say he plays like a 'new' QB?

olevetonahill
9/21/2006, 08:05 PM
Yes both are " experienced" and both will and can get better ! :cool:

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2006, 08:14 PM
I know it was a question out of no where. I just have a problem when the media automatically dubs a QB a weak spot even if he is a RS Jr. just because he hasnt played a lot.

I guess Booty from USC would be a better example, but I hate USC... and im sure you guys do too.

SCOUT
9/21/2006, 08:19 PM
I think actual game time is the only way to be considered a truly experienced QB. There is a good difference between practice speed and game speed so that is a factor IMO. The experience of reading defenses can be hard to replicate in practice too.

With that said, I think a player that has years in the system has a much shorter learning curve than one who hasn't. They may technically be inexperienced but they will most likely make fewer "rookie" mistakes than those new to the program.

Pepper
9/21/2006, 08:52 PM
Sounds like they know the offense enough to run it better than a freshmen that is new to the system. How good they will be will be determined by how talented they are. You can be pretty good with an experienced quarterback but to be one of the top teams you need to combine experience with smartness and talent.

Readyfor8
9/21/2006, 09:46 PM
Unfortunatly you aren't an experienced QB until you have a year starting under your belt and are over the age of 21. Or until the media deems you as "experienced."

Luckily it doesn't matter what the media says about Alabama's QB or Oklahoma's QB because at the end of the day they are putting us in a chance to win. And thats all we can expect from our QB's.

Oh and Wilson is a god!!! :D But PT is Zeus!!!

Boomer Sooner and Roll Tide...

Soonerdaddy
9/21/2006, 09:52 PM
Experience doesn't count near as much as performance. One excellant game and they will be called "experienced".