PDA

View Full Version : So, If You Fall Out In An Airport

Rogue
9/21/2006, 04:38 PM
and happen to be flat on your back near the AED (Automatic External Defibrillator), chances are good that I can save your ***. If you happen to be in fibrillation or need some CPR for awhile.:cool:

For some reason our hospital is certifying us in the American Heart Association's BLS and AED course instead of the Red Cross version.

When did the compression-to-breath ratio get to 30:2? I remember, back in the day, when it was 12:2.

Actually, I think the statistics are NOT in your favor but I'll do my damnedest for ya. So, uhhh I guess you should lay off the Cheetohs and Beer and getchyer butt to the gym.

Ike
9/21/2006, 04:40 PM
so you are saying you will be in every aiport I fly in to and out of? creepy.

mdklatt
9/21/2006, 04:41 PM
CLEAR!

IronSooner
9/21/2006, 04:44 PM
What happens if I fall on my side?

Rogue
9/21/2006, 04:48 PM
What happens if I fall on my side?

I s'pose I'd roll your bigazz over, but all the resuci-dummies were on their backs to I cain't be shore.

Rogue
9/21/2006, 04:48 PM
Or we could spoon.

stoopified
9/21/2006, 04:54 PM
Or we could spoon.
Ok we just passed the too weird for me line.

IronSooner
9/21/2006, 05:02 PM
Or we could spoon.

I'm remembering why I drove everywhere in undergrad...

oumartin
9/21/2006, 05:09 PM
I am certified red cross instructor and let me tell you the new procedures for cpr and such suck. oh, and how many of the AEDs are programmed for the new 30 compressions 2 breaths?

OCUDad
9/21/2006, 05:10 PM
Or we could spoon.And if THAT don't revive you, you're better off dead anyway.

mdklatt
9/21/2006, 05:17 PM
oh, and how many of the AEDs are programmed for the new 30 compressions 2 breaths?

What does the AED have to do with this? It's not doing the compressions or breathing.

oumartin
9/21/2006, 05:19 PM
oh but it checks the patients status and its all done by time. an AED tells you whethere or not to do CPR,, it checks the patients vitals.. and its all done off time.

oumartin
9/21/2006, 05:20 PM
used to be 4 cycles in one minute then the AED would kick in and check the patients status.. now its 5 cycles in two minutes.. or something like that.

mdklatt
9/21/2006, 05:25 PM
used to be 4 cycles in one minute then the AED would kick in and check the patients status.. now its 5 cycles in two minutes.. or something like that.

I didn't think about the timing. The one we have at the lake is getting a new firmware update.

handcrafted
9/21/2006, 05:27 PM
The title of this thread is misleading...

Rogue
9/21/2006, 05:39 PM
At 30:2 it seems that I'd be pushin' a bunch of non-oxygenated blood around in you.

oumartin
9/21/2006, 05:40 PM
Hey, Hey, you okay?

BajaOklahoma
9/21/2006, 05:41 PM
The AHA changed its recommendations last Winter. You can check out the Currents issue with all of the changes on the AHA website.

The rational for the changes;
People don't wnat to do the mouth-to-mouth part on strangers.
Room air acutally has more O2 than the breath you are giving.
The compressions actually do move a bit of air.
Everytime you stop the compressions to do the breaths, it takes 10 compressions to get the blood moving again.
The longer the blood sits in the heart, the more likely it is to clot and do be useful.
The various ratios were too confusing for people to remember.

The new mantra is push hard and fast. Giving good CPR for two minutes will wear you out.
Did they tell you about dealing with all AED's that haven't been reprogramed yet? The chip to reset the AEDs isn't even going to be available until January - at the earliest.

The Red Cross is still teaching the old standards.
Requiring the student manuals is a racket.

Oh, and I teach CPR.

oumartin
9/21/2006, 05:51 PM
I just taught the red cross new course no more than two weeks ago.. Its up to date now. but yes the student manuals suck and you also have to buy the dvd and thats ridiculous.

Rogue
9/21/2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the assplanation Baja.

OUinFLA
9/21/2006, 08:47 PM
The AHA changed its recommendations last Winter. You can check out the Currents issue with all of the changes on the AHA website.

The rational for the changes;
People don't wnat to do the mouth-to-mouth part on strangers.
Room air acutally has more O2 than the breath you are giving.
The compressions actually do move a bit of air.
Everytime you stop the compressions to do the breaths, it takes 10 compressions to get the blood moving again.
The longer the blood sits in the heart, the more likely it is to clot and do be useful.
The various ratios were too confusing for people to remember.

The new mantra is push hard and fast. Giving good CPR for two minutes will wear you out.
Did they tell you about dealing with all AED's that haven't been reprogramed yet? The chip to reset the AEDs isn't even going to be available until January - at the earliest.

The Red Cross is still teaching the old standards.
Requiring the student manuals is a racket.

Oh, and I teach CPR.

another good reason to be with you

Seriously

BajaOklahoma
9/23/2006, 02:20 PM
I taught a group CPR this morning. They were older members of the church - very fast learners! I told them that I hoped they were around to do CPR on me if I ever needed it. Motivated learners are the best.