PDA

View Full Version : Guy Morriss continues to embarrass the Big XII

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2006, 03:25 PM
"They played well against Texas A&M. I guess they wanted to show the cadets who the real Army guys are. They went down there pretty fired up and got after the Aggies pretty well. They probably, well, maybe should have won the game. I don't know. I haven't seen but the last play or two and what happened." Guy Morriss - Sept 19, 2006

This fool just doesn't know how or when to close his mouth. Baylor is 1-2 and he's already running smack about Texas A&M. But this is not football smack, it's a pot shot at the students of the school. Many of the students in the corps go on to take officer positions in the military upon graduating. Some in the corps have already served in the military. Some are already veterans of the Iraq war.

Talk football smack all you want (and you don't really hear any of the other Big 12 coaches doing that), but when you start in on something toward the student body -- I think you have stepped across the line of taste.

I believe we have a liability to the Big XII in waco. Morriss is bush league and his coaching staff obviously takes their cue from him. Just a few weeks ago another Baylor football coach was fined for running his mouth:

In accordance with the Big 12 Conference Principles and Standards of Sportsmanship, the Conference has publicly reprimanded and fined Baylor University assistant football coach Bill Bradley for his comments about the Mountain West Conference officiating crew that worked the Baylor-TCU game on September 3.

Guy Morriss's legacy in waco will be an endless succession of classless soundbytes and checks he wrote with his mouth that his team could not cash.

You know, Fran might not be a great coach, but at least he is respectful enough of the institution he works for not to embarrass them every he times he gives a press conference.

TXBOOMER
9/21/2006, 03:38 PM
The only real Army guys at either institution are those that have spent time enlisted on active duty prior to going to college (like the A&M linebacker). They may one day become excellent leaders of Troops but now they are college students. Like him or not, Guy Morriss does more with less than anybody in the country.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 03:38 PM
From Bill Byrne's weekly column reponding to Aggy alum complaints after the Army game:

Another bone of contention among Aggies was all the commercial attention that Army received during the game, and the promotions on the field such as the dramatic commissioning of officers and the punt-catching and field goal-kicking contests with fans.

Just because you are aggy does not mean you get to wrap your university around the flag. Yes, more ags per capita participate in military service than at Texas and OU. But NO, the army is the army. Texas A&M (and its corps) are not the U.S. Army and not in service of our country until they join the actual services. In other words, I see nothing inaccurate in what the coach of your biggest rival is saying.

OUstud
9/21/2006, 03:41 PM
(raises hand meekly) I agree with the whorn...

boomrsoonr
9/21/2006, 03:41 PM
From Bill Byrne's weekly column reponding to Aggy alum complaints after the Army game:

Just because you are aggy does not mean you get to wrap your university around the flag. Yes, more ags per capita participate in military service than at Texas and OU. But NO, the f'n army is the army. Texas A&M (and its corps) are not the U.S. Army and not in service of our country until they join the actual services. In other words, I see nothing inaccurate in what the coach of your biggest rival is saying.

While I agree with most of your comments (gag)........ please do NOT refer to the United States Army as the "f'n army". That's disrespectful, and uncalled for.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 03:55 PM
While I agree with most of your comments (gag)........ please do NOT refer to the United States Army as the "f'n army". That's disrespectful, and uncalled for.

Good point and fixed. Sorry, my comment was clearly not directed to the military but to emphasize the point that the army (not f'n Texas A&M) is the army (albeit West Point is not necessarily the U.S. Army either as I understand it).

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2006, 03:58 PM
The implication is that Aggie cadets are playing soldier. The fact is that you have veterans in the corps and you have soon-to-be enlisted men and women in the corps. I went to school with a guy that was at A&M on the GI Bill. He said that the Corps was tougher than basic training.

It's just a cheap shot by a classless individual.

And as far as Morriss doing more with less, I thought this year was the year. The big statement against TCU. The big road win. Frankly, I don't see this team getting to a bowl. They don't even have to play any of the tougher teams in the Big XII north. Again, more puffery from Morriss. Maybe he tries to stir up controversy in an effort to keep the attention off his team's performance.

colleyvillesooner
9/21/2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=699419&forum_id=5

boomrsoonr
9/21/2006, 04:08 PM
Good point and fixed. Sorry, my comment was clearly not directed to the military but to emphasize the point that the army (not f'n Texas A&M) is the army (albeit West Point is not necessarily the U.S. Army either as I understand it).

You're a better person than I thought. ;) By the way, West Point is the U.S. Army. Or will be. Any graduate MUST serve in the U.S. Army upon graduation. And they are much closer to being Army than the cadet corp of aTm. Hell, high school ROTC is closer than the ags. ;)

boomrsoonr
9/21/2006, 04:13 PM
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=699419&forum_id=5

heh. Did you read about halfway down that thread? Aggies are pulling out the old "record vs." stuff on Baylor. :D That's pretty funny stuff right there. Kind of like Alcorn State arguing with Temple.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 04:15 PM
Given the sick stories I've heard about the corps, I'd think a night in Abu Graib would be reasonably comparable.

No knock on the ones that go on to serve the military. You have to respect the history there somewhat. But that doesn't keep all of us rivals from chiding you guys - to no end - about playing soldier. I still recall the Aggy corps cadet brandishing the sword at our fans who dared to stand on Kyle Field. There is NO reason we should honor the Aggy corps. Frankly, you guys take this stuff way too seriously and that's been our concern from day 1. There are a bunch of dude's that go from UT to enter the military. Should we dress them up in soldier costumes and then brandish swards back at you guys?

Taxman71
9/21/2006, 04:16 PM
I support anyone who makes fun of A$M or their "corps" of dorks. Sadly, it will only help expedite the dismissal of Coach Fran who I'd like to see for a long time in Collie Station.

Widescreen
9/21/2006, 04:18 PM
His comments sound similar to *************** or Keith Burns. Neither one of them turned out all that great.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 04:21 PM
The good news is that the ags are so distracted about how patriotic they are and stuff that they've forgotten that Fran almost coached them to a loss to Army and would have done it if not for Bobby Ross. THANK YOU BOBBY!

caphorns
9/21/2006, 04:26 PM
By the way, I'm so glad this whole deal was posted or I never would have been privy to this gem:
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=699444&forum_id=5

The ALLTIME gem of Aggie poster comments -- "Pretty much beat the sips last year"

Paperclip
9/21/2006, 04:33 PM
Didn't Leach say something last year about since the A&M students get to dress up like Army dudes he wanted their students to dress up like pirates?

GrapevineSooner
9/21/2006, 04:36 PM
In the week leading up to the game, I think A&M paid it's proper respects to Army.

So as far as I'm concerned, this amounts to a cheapshot by Guy Morriss.

When he first arrived on the scene, I thought Morriss was a breath of fresh air in the Big 12 landscape.

Now, he's starting to become a bit of a beat down.

The
9/21/2006, 04:36 PM
Leach - funniest coach in sporting history.

Taxman71
9/21/2006, 04:44 PM

I take it you were not around during the Billyball era in Norman.

usmc-sooner
9/21/2006, 04:45 PM
there's a lot of guys who play Army at A&M. I met a guy once who told me he used to be in the Marines. So I asked him PI or Hollywood, Quantico? He just gave me a dumb look and said what? So I rephrased it, Where did you go to Boot Camp? The guy told me College Station!!!!!
I had to let this moron know that he was not a Marine and shouldn't claim it. Although later I heard him telling some girls he trained with the Navy Seals.

n8v_ndn
9/21/2006, 04:54 PM
there's a lot of guys who play Army at A&M. I met a guy once who told me he used to be in the Marines. So I asked him PI or Hollywood, Quantico? He just gave me a dumb look and said what? So I rephrased it, Where did you go to Boot Camp? The guy told me College Station!!!!!
I had to let this moron know that he was not a Marine and shouldn't claim it. Although later I heard him telling some girls he trained with the Navy Seals.

I saw him too! He claimed he saved Sgt. Slaughter from Destro or somethin...

Paperclip
9/21/2006, 04:55 PM
As his team raced onto the field, he gazed into the stands filled with screaming fans and wondered about the several thousand "cadets" from Texas A.&M. clustered in one end zone. They wear military uniforms and buzz cuts, holler in unison and stand at attention the entire game. "How come they get to pretend they are soldiers?" he asked. "The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine/04coach.html?ei=5088&en=d9f46209dc95fc9d&ex=1291352400&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all)

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2006, 05:04 PM
I used to think Leach was jerk, but then I started to see his warped sense of humor. I don't think Morriss's comments are draped in any form of humor.

Even the showering with his sister remark, if you heard it, was said in a serious tone.

Whether you agree with the Army/Corps statement or not, surely you can agree it was said with disdain for A&M. Ask yourselves, would Stoops or Mack Brown be peddling this kind of trash talk? Of course not.

Again, the case could be made that he is trying to draw attention away from things he doesn't want people to notice:

21-39 overall coaching record
8-32 conference record
4-20 Big 12 record

Widescreen
9/21/2006, 05:08 PM
Hugo Chavez said aTm is the Devil.

NYaggie
9/21/2006, 05:17 PM
Like him or not, Guy Morriss does more with less than anybody in the country.

The guy must be great in the sack, in that case.

OK2LA
9/21/2006, 05:26 PM
(raises hand meekly) I agree with the whorn...

dagnabbit! Friggn' whorn tricked ya into agree'n that Baylor is our biggest rival!

yermom
9/21/2006, 05:28 PM

Just because you are aggy does not mean you get to wrap your university around the flag. Yes, more ags per capita participate in military service than at Texas and OU. But NO, the army is the army. Texas A&M (and its corps) are not the U.S. Army and not in service of our country until they join the actual services. In other words, I see nothing inaccurate in what the coach of your biggest rival is saying.

hehe

you guys sure are taking a lot of this stuff pretty serious

those Bears have you guys running scared already :D

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2006, 05:29 PM

Leach is just a starter kit for this late, great legend.

Why is O.J. Simpson carrying the ball so much?
"Why not? It isn't very heavy. Besides, he doesn't belong to a union."

Asked about his team's execution after a defeat while coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
"I think it's a good idea."

After his Tampa Bay team broke its 26-game losing streak:
"Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."

On pressure from the fans:
"I'll never be hung in effigy. Before every season, I send my men out to buy up all the rope in Los Angeles."

On recruiting his son, John (J.K.):
"I had a rather distinct advantage. I slept with his mother."

On intensity:
"Intensity is a lot of guys who run fast."

After his unbeaten 1969 team, known as the Cardiac Kids, beat UCLA, 14-12, on a touchdown pass by Jimmy Jones with 1:32 left:
"I've checked my heart and I don't have one."

When told by two of his top recruits--his son, John (J.K.), a wide receiver, and quarterback Pat Haden--that they were thinking of going to Stanford, he answered:
"If it was between Stanford and Red China, I would pay your way to Peking."

What he said at halftime to his team, trailing Notre Dame 17-0 in 1964 (USC came back to win 20-17):
"If you don't score more than 17 points, you'll lose."
When USC kick returner Mike Hunter fell flat on his face on the opening kickoff of the 1965 game at Notre Dame (a 28-7 USC loss):
"My God. They shot him."

In 1965 in 39 degree weather, USC had to wait on the field-sharing it with screaming Notre Dame students-for 20 minutes before the Irish came out of the locker room prior to the opening kickoff. In his next trip to South Bend in 1967, McKay told the referee that he wasn't coming out before Notre Dame this time, but the ref warned him that in that case the Irish would win by forfeit, 2-0.
"That would be the best deal we've ever gotten in this stadium," he said.
Asked if Notre Dame was the team he most liked to play:
"Well, it certainly wasn't Idaho."
On losing:
"Boy, do I hate to see that scene in the dressing room where a player gets up with tears in his eyes and says, `We'll get `em next year.' `Damn it,' I think, `why didn't we get them this year? Don't worry about the next one. Next year may come and we may all be dead.'"

The Late John McKay.

Octavian
9/21/2006, 05:46 PM
No national championship team has won that without getting through some close games

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=698551&forum_id=5

heh.

Jello Biafra
9/21/2006, 05:57 PM

roflmao seals eh? i love hearing those guys. it never gets old. i love the fact that you can listen to about 45 seconds of that kinda **** and tell that they are liars. hell i was on the army and i knew what you were asking that wanna-be jarhead.:D

for those who are saying ROTC (and lets be honest ROTC is not boot camp...military or otherwise) is just as tough if not tougher than basic, they are lying their *** off. as a DI for a year pushing ROTC cadets and a year pushing regular troops, there is absolutely NO comparison. you can read into that how ever you'd like but just trust me.

BIG_IKE
9/21/2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah..none of those guys are officially in the Army yet. The lowest ranking Private in the Regular Army outranks anyone in ROTC or an academy...until they are commissioned. I served 8 years in the Army and it sickens me to see people "play" Army or make a mockery of it.

And one thing that has not been said..there are MORE SOLDIERS who never went to ANY college than there are that did. Let's not forget that. These ROTC/Corps/Cadets or whatever are all Officers when they join. Lets not forget about the grunts that actually work...

that being said....lets LAUGH OUT LOUD at how A&M was getting manhandled by ARMY, Texas! Must See TV...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQe1C4qVnQ

:D

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2006, 06:37 PM
Pretty funny how they omit the ending of the game. ;-)

Jello Biafra
9/21/2006, 06:40 PM
Pretty funny how they omit the ending of the game. ;-)

why is it funny? we all know how it went. it took the last play of the game to decide it. the lowely army black knights came to your house(texas anyway) and took the pootie from you period. you guys thought you would show em whats up and they put your legs behind your ears.

btw, that was the same army team that lost to Arkansas state who in turn lost the the fake OSU two weeks ago. you figure that one out. :D

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2006, 06:49 PM
California Über Alles?

The Maestro
9/21/2006, 06:53 PM
Who cares? He's Baylor's coach!

usmc-sooner
9/21/2006, 07:01 PM
heh Baylor's got a better coach than the Aggies

Jello Biafra
9/21/2006, 07:53 PM
California Über Alles?

yeh...good one

i like too drunk to f*(k better along with we have a bigger problem now

but by far, the best one is holiday in cambodia :)

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 05:59 AM
I cant knock Guy Morris...
He uses UT's, A&M's, Tech's, hell..even OU and OSU's leftovers and he was able to compete last year. Maybe no bowl game, but they certainly threatened quite a few teams including us last year. So Im not gonna call him an embarrassment.

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 06:43 AM
Morriss may just be campaigning for Fran's job a little early.

footballfanatic
9/22/2006, 08:36 AM
Given the sick stories I've heard about the corps, I'd think a night in Abu Graib would be reasonably comparable.

No knock on the ones that go on to serve the military. You have to respect the history there somewhat. But that doesn't keep all of us rivals from chiding you guys - to no end - about playing soldier. I still recall the Aggy corps cadet brandishing the sword at our fans who dared to stand on Kyle Field. There is NO reason we should honor the Aggy corps. Frankly, you guys take this stuff way too seriously and that's been our concern from day 1. There are a bunch of dude's that go from UT to enter the military. Should we dress them up in soldier costumes and then brandish swards back at you guys?

While the corp isn't the army, MANY of the graduates go on to serve. A&M had more officers serve in the Second World War than did West Point.

Tear Down This Wall
9/22/2006, 09:20 AM

You idiot. A&M produces more officers for the Army than any other institution in the country. Many of them are at war right now to prevent islamofascists from coming over here are blowing the crap out of us. Part of the reason the islamofascists hate America is the faggotry and dope-smoking lifestyles that are played up at place like Boulder, Boston, Berkeley, and Austin.

Don't ever compare the to A&M when it comes to military. The Aggies really produce people who are out there protecting the nation. UT-Austin produces dope-smoking queers bent on turning America into a faggy, psuedo-European lap dog for the U.N.

Screw you and anyone else who doesn't appreciate what those Aggie Corpsmen do for this country. Ingrate.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2006, 09:23 AM
I ****ing hate Aggie. Detest them. Go away you insufferable nitwits.

KaiserSooner
9/22/2006, 09:24 AM

Totally agree

KaiserSooner
9/22/2006, 09:25 AM

Since I can't spek ya, I'll just quote ya and say yep.

caphorns
9/22/2006, 11:01 AM
You idiot. A&M produces more officers for the Army than any other institution in the country. Many of them are at war right now to prevent islamofascists from coming over here are blowing the crap out of us. Part of the reason the islamofascists hate America is the faggotry and dope-smoking lifestyles that are played up at place like Boulder, Boston, Berkeley, and Austin.

Don't ever compare the to A&M when it comes to military. The Aggies really produce people who are out there protecting the nation. UT-Austin produces dope-smoking queers bent on turning America into a faggy, psuedo-European lap dog for the U.N.

Screw you and anyone else who doesn't appreciate what those Aggie Corpsmen do for this country. Ingrate.

My point was about TAMU and the Aggie Corps not equating to the military. I acknowleged that per capita they produce more in the military and that this is something you have to respect.

Also, you don't have to be a Republican to be patriot or serve in the military. There are plenty of liberals and non-right wingers and plenty of dope smokers protecting your *** from extremists right now. There may even be a few homosexuals fighting to protect you right now. I know there are many, many minorities who probably wouldn't dare vote the way you vote who have died for you. I happen to be a Republican that's sick of the trash talk from people like you who believe that only right wingers serve and die for this country. You make honest Republicans look like idiots. Enough is enough.

There are Longhorns and Sooners serving this country in large numbers. Hell, there are Okie Lite's over there. I respect ATM's record BUT THEY ARE NOT THE ARMY. Plain and simple. And the corps is just a freakshow of an organization from everything I've seen, read, etc. So get off the high horse TDTW.

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 11:07 AM
Is the A$M corps any more or less military than ROTC at other schools? If not, any accolades to the corps must also go to ROTC across the country. Are they more military than the Citadel?

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 11:08 AM

You seem a little high strung there...1st things first. There are a few facts you should consider before making your statement.

1) EVERY school with a Army ROTC Program (which includes the schools you somewhat insulted) puts officers in the Army.

2) Members of the Texas A&M Corps are NOT all in Army ROTC. Only 1/3 of them are. The rest are in the Band, Navy ROTC, and Air Force ROTC.

3) In the Texas A&M Corps, joining the REAL ARMY is OPTIONAL!!!!! They are under NO obligation like the guys at Army,Air Force and Navy are. Only 1/3 of the Aggies in the Corps actually join the military and if you dont believe me go look on their website.

4) TEXAS A&M Does not put more officers in the Army than ANY OTHER SCHOOL. Using Pre-WWII facts is just like rattling off NC's from the roaring 20's.

5) ROTC is an elective CLASS in College...you are NOT in the military if you join ROTC....and unlike other real military schools, Aggies do NOT have to join the military. As the Corps site says only 33% do. So basically 66% of the guys in the Corps ARE playing military.

So I will talk about those posers all I want to. I have served my country in combat twice, and much respect to the Aggies that do serve, but the reality is...MOST OF THE CORPS is PLAYING ARMY!!!!! :D

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 11:14 AM
Also...what military unit or ROTC unit actual has a ANIMAL as the highest ranking member????

I am NOT making this up...Reveille is the highest ranking member of the Corps. He is the Comannder in chief, the Big Kahuna, the Grand Puba, The Fuhrer, Numero Uno!!

caphorns
9/22/2006, 11:44 AM
Part of the reason the islamofascists hate America is the faggotry and dope-smoking lifestyles that are played up at place like Boulder, Boston, Berkeley, and Austin.

Now that I've cooled off and re-read your post again TRTW, I really think this statement is amazing. You imply here that islamic extremists are anti-American because of liberals living out their freedoms in America. Should we as a group act more in line with their Islamic views on morality? Is this your point?

Now, if you would bother to study the history of the region from which these extremist originate from, you'd understand why they hate us, why they hated the British imperialists at one time and what our role was in supporting many, many "transgressions" in their viewpoint over the past umpteen years. But read up on the story of the Suez canal and the US role in that and then see how Eisenhower's diplomacy and choices in the region differed radically from US diplomacy under Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II.

Then don't assume that just because they hate us for our support of these transgressions (and that I believe we have been a participant in many transgressions against their country) that I would believe our regional moves are wrong. I firmly believe there is a very subtle cold war going on in this region and in Africa between China and the US and it's over the energy reserves. And that is actually a very conservative view of what's going on - if you are a regular reader of the "Economist" you'd know what I was saying. I hardly believe we are just fighting over terrorism over there. There is a clear econmic advantage to our unyielding influence in the region and to establishing stability there. It's why we've been hanging in these guys back yards for years. Trust me when I say that these extremists don't give a rats *** what goes on a Berkeley, Boulder, Austin or San Francisco. They care about our presence in their region more than anything else. There are more homosexuals and dope smokers in France.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/22/2006, 11:48 AM
What does all of this have to do with Guy Morriss being an *** bag?

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 11:53 AM

We did kinda get off topic there :D

mdklatt
9/22/2006, 11:54 AM
Didn't Leach say something last year about since the A&M students get to dress up like Army dudes he wanted their students to dress up like pirates?

Mike Leach = AWESOME

:D

caphorns
9/22/2006, 12:03 PM

I could say the same thing about your original post in this thread. Certainly we would want to stray from the subject of the brewing Aggie/Bear rivalry.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2006, 12:04 PM
The saddest thing is that Aggie is allowing there to be an Aggie/Bear rivalry in the first place.

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2006, 12:07 PM
And, aren't admission standards lowered for incoming freshman if they give a 4 year commitment to the Corp as well?

As for those cute, little, lovable Baylor Bears... well, good luck with your true rivals, those fightin' Texas A&M aggy this year.

Now... if Baylor ever becomes Texas' rival, or if Morriss ever leads da Bears to a win over Texas.. then.. HE'S A TOOL! Until then.... speedbump city baby.

Finally... Baylor's winning percentage against A&M is better than aggy's winning percentage against Texas.

snp
9/22/2006, 12:09 PM
Guy Morris is competing with Leach for my second favorite coach in the Big 12.

A wise man once said...

OUmillenium
9/22/2006, 12:21 PM
I saw him too! He claimed he saved Sgt. Slaughter from Destro or somethin...

He'll fight for freedom wherever there's trouble...

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 03:39 PM
haha..havent seen GI Joe in years

WP76
9/22/2006, 03:42 PM
During the early/mid 1970s as a cadet at the United States Military Academy, I was part of the Regular Army and subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and carried an active duty military identification card, subject to Geneva Convention provisions--bottom line, I was in the Army. Concerning rank, cadets fell above non-commissioned officers but below warrant officers.

Frankly, in the intervening years, many of the laws and regulations have changed and I'm not current with the specifics. I'm very proud of my two sons who served in the Army to include serving in Iraq at the same time I did. One is a 2000 West Point grad and one is an 2002 OU ROTC grad.

I'm also proud to have graduated from an institution unparalleled in producing military leaders for our nation. At West Point, you walk in the shadows of Grant, Patton, Pershing, Lee, MacArthur and Eisenhower to name but a very few.

Apologize for rambling and I don't want to sound like a commercial but it was, without question, one of the most awsome experiences of my life.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2006, 03:47 PM
Thats cool WP76, I got to serve with my brother at the same time. He was in Taji and I was in Kirkuk though..not a very pleasant road trip down the MSR to visit him!

Ash
9/22/2006, 03:48 PM
Edit: just stirrin' things up, not worth it.

But this thread IS taking a decidely SO turn.

WP76
9/22/2006, 03:58 PM
BigIke, that's great to hear. I was stationed in Baghdad but setting up logistics operations for entire Iraqi Armed forces so I traveled to Tadji, Kirkush--basically all over. My oldest son was near Baqubah. It was a nasty neighborhood, about 20 people at his base were killed and my son was hit by an IED attack while in convoy. Thank God, he escaped death or long lasting injury. My second son was on the Iranian border with the Cav near Mandali. Now he's back in Iraq at Balad--better digs than last time. In any case, my oldest did his WP commitment and is out of the Army and my second will get out when he returns in January. It's tough spending every other year over there but that's what a lot of the Army is forced to do right now.

Take care as I always like to read posts from fellow soldiers on the boards...

Soonerfan88
9/22/2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah..none of those guys are officially in the Army yet. The lowest ranking Private in the Regular Army outranks anyone in ROTC or an academy...until they are commissioned.

Just have to put in my 2 cents on this one. While on a detail in Basic Training at lovely Ft Leonard Wood, we were accosted by some aggie cadets (proudly displayed their aTm, so knew where they were from) all ****ed off because we didn't salute them. They tried to drop us and otherwise order us around, but our platoon leader had 4 years of JROTC in high school and knew the regs. Even as a lowly E1, we outranked them. Karma being so kind, they were still cussing and threatening away when our Sr. Drill came up behind them and ever so politely informed them of the regulation and was even kind enough to find them something to do the rest of the week since they were obviously wandering around bored.

So, no I don't have any more respect for the aggie corps than I do an ROTC program at any other school, in truth probably a little less.

As for Guy Morris, haven't heard anyone talking about his job being on the line so I guess he feels a little secure in turning the screws on Fran.

BULongfellow
9/23/2006, 01:03 PM
MRNOTDUCKS, you are an idiot. Guy, who played at TCU, has never liked A&M. He calls them how he sees them. The toy soldier crap at A&M is as obnoxious and stupid as any tradition I've ever witnessed in person. For the kids that go on to join the military, they deserve respect . . . when they actually go on to do that. Until then, they're just a bunch of skinny tards who didn't have any friends in HS and can't find any other way to feel important other than dress up like they're in the military. I've had many friends that attended A&M. None of them even considered playing toy soldier. They all acknowledge how stupid it is. I'm sorry Guy speaks his mind, but to say he is embarrassing the Big 12 by doing so just shows how freakin' stupid you are.

BULongfellow
9/23/2006, 01:11 PM
A little off topic, but here is a good story reflecting the longstanding dislike between BU and A&M. Good read. Shows how crazy football was even back in 1926:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA092905.1C.FBC_baylor_tamu_death.17214eb4.html

1Pigskin
9/23/2006, 01:30 PM
He is bad for the conference. No class and runs his mouth. He's trying to make the conference like the SEC where they hate each other.

mustangsooner
9/23/2006, 01:33 PM

Those Az monkeys from Texas A&M are not the corps. The real corps is the United States Marine Corps. Which I served four years in. Those idiots do not deserve any respect.

FroggyStyle22
9/23/2006, 09:36 PM
Now can we all agree that Guy Moriss is an embarassment?

Scott D
9/23/2006, 09:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out when I gave a **** about how Baylor and the Psycho Patrol feel about each other...oh yeah...never.

mdklatt
9/23/2006, 09:58 PM
Now can we all agree that Guy Moriss is an embarassment?

Why, did Baylor look worse against Army than Lassie Aggie did?

FroggyStyle22
9/23/2006, 11:09 PM
Why, did Baylor look worse against Army than Lassie Aggie did?

The question was independent of the embarassment that is the aggie football team. Guy Moriss is embarassing in his own right.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/24/2006, 12:28 AM
I doubt no more Baylor fans come to "GuyMo's" aid on this thread.

Desert Sapper
9/24/2006, 12:57 AM
During the early/mid 1970s as a cadet at the United States Military Academy, I was part of the Regular Army and subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and carried an active duty military identification card, subject to Geneva Convention provisions--bottom line, I was in the Army. Concerning rank, cadets fell above non-commissioned officers but below warrant officers.

Frankly, in the intervening years, many of the laws and regulations have changed and I'm not current with the specifics. I'm very proud of my two sons who served in the Army to include serving in Iraq at the same time I did. One is a 2000 West Point grad and one is an 2002 OU ROTC grad.

I'm also proud to have graduated from an institution unparalleled in producing military leaders for our nation. At West Point, you walk in the shadows of Grant, Patton, Pershing, Lee, MacArthur and Eisenhower to name but a very few.

Apologize for rambling and I don't want to sound like a commercial but it was, without question, one of the most awsome experiences of my life.

On Brave Old Army TEAM and Boomer Sooner, Sir! :D What a great day! PM inbound.

I assure everyone here that USMA cadets are active duty Army. If a cadet fails out, is found (honor violation) or quits after committing the summer before his/her junior year, he/she WILL enter the active Army as a SPC (E-4). Cadets in every class come from the ranks of the regular army, and currently a significant number are Iraq/Afghanistan vets.

soonermax
9/24/2006, 09:18 AM
How classic is it that Guy runs his mouth about ATM barely winning against Army and then he goes out an loses to Army. Maybe he sould play his game before runs his mouth. Baylor prediction for the rest of the year.
3-9 and no bowl

BIG_IKE
9/24/2006, 11:04 AM
On Brave Old Army TEAM and Boomer Sooner, Sir! :D What a great day! PM inbound.

I assure everyone here that USMA cadets are active duty Army. If a cadet fails out, is found (honor violation) or quits after committing the summer before his/her junior year, he/she WILL enter the active Army as a SPC (E-4). Cadets in every class come from the ranks of the regular army, and currently a significant number are Iraq/Afghanistan vets.

Exactly..they WILL Enter active duty if they quit after their cow year...
OR after they get commissioned....so while they are CADETS, they are not active duty military.

1. They don't have any rank
2. They can't be deployed

But the West Pointers are not the ones in question here. 99% of them actually become soldiers. The TEXAS A&M AGGIE Corps of Cadets are in no way shape or form in the military.

Desert Sapper
9/24/2006, 07:30 PM
The TEXAS A&M AGGIE Corps of Cadets are in no way shape or form in the military.

I agree. Like Citadel and VMI cadets, aTm Aggies think that a rough first year and playing in the woods occasionally equates to being in the military. It doesn't.

Stoop Dawg
9/24/2006, 09:47 PM
I'm trying to figure out when I gave a **** about how Baylor and the Psycho Patrol feel about each other...oh yeah...never.

Count me in this camp. I didn't know who Guy Morriss was until I clicked this thread. And I'll forget about 3 seconds after I leave it.....

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2006, 08:50 AM
I doubt no more Baylor fans come to "GuyMo's" aid on this thread.

Dude.. friendly words of advice here...

If you don't want people to look at those powerhouses like Baylor and Sand Aggy as your rivals, stop justifying their existence.

Deride them the week you play them, smoke them in the game, then, don't even acknowledge their existence.

Sometimes, rivalries aren't based on records (for example, Baylor's record against aggy is better than your record against UT). We Texas fans will laugh at Franocchio, will laugh at his penchant for Little Debbies, will laugh at aggy's "by the skin of their nose" win over the Black Knights.. but.. we won't acknowledge the quality in your program or look upon you as a consistent threat (unless probation type activity resumes at aggyville).

MRNOTDUCKS
9/25/2006, 11:51 AM
That's funny because on any given day at Hornfans there are about 4-5 threads about the Ags on the front page. As far as Texas Tech and Baylor are concerned, I want to beat them because they talk too much. That's not acknowledging a rivalry. The War Hymn still starts with "Goodbye to Texas University..." Nothing has changed.

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2006, 11:58 AM
That's funny because on any given day at Hornfans there are about 4-5 threads about the Ags on the front page. As far as Texas Tech and Baylor are concerned, I want to beat them because they talk too much. That's not acknowledging a rivalry. The War Hymn still starts with "Goodbye to Texas University..." Nothing has changed.

The difference is.. the 4 - 5 threads you refer to are universally making fun of the latest aggy delusionfest.... be it.. "whoop, why aren't we ranked.. we're 4 - 0".... or.. "whoop, we win the Big XII this year and MNC next year,".. or... "whoop, why isn't McGee listed as a Heisman favorite..." or "whoop, Coach Fran should be given another extension and raise."

It's comedy gold Ducks.. comedy gold I say and for entertainment purposes only.

Very different than enabling their existence.

Stoop Dawg
9/25/2006, 12:32 PM
Can you guys take this to "Soonerfans don't give a ****.com"?

Thanks.