PDA

View Full Version : SNL cuts cast members

colleyvillesooner
9/21/2006, 02:36 PM
Familiar faces go missing from ‘SNL’
Chris Parnell of ‘Lazy Sunday’ video among those not on the cast list
The Associated Press

Updated: 10:43 a.m. CT Sept 21, 2006
NEW YORK - The comedian who impersonated Elton John and one of the comedians in the "Lazy Sunday" sketch that was a hit on YouTube aren't on the list of cast members returning to "Saturday Night Live."

NBC's news release about the 32nd season of “SNL” doesn't mention Horatio Sanz, Chris Parnell or Finesse Mitchell.

(MSNBC.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC.)

No new cast members were announced.

Amy Poehler will return as co-anchor of "Weekend Update," but no decision's been made yet on who'll sit at the desk with her. Tina Fey left the show to produce and write the sitcom "30 Rock."

Dane Cook will host the season premiere on September 30th. The Killers will be the musical guest.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14938687/?GT1=8506

I thought Parns and Horatio were funny.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/21/2006, 02:38 PM
Saturday Night Live's New Theme is "Get the Fun Out"

TUSooner
9/21/2006, 02:40 PM
I am even way more unhipper than I thought. I recognize no name on that list, except NBC; them, I've heard of. :O

hurricane'bone
9/21/2006, 02:41 PM
Horatio was great...at ruining skits by laughing.

jk the sooner fan
9/21/2006, 02:53 PM
yeah i never thought sanz was funny.....laughing at his own failed bits in the sketch just never did it for me

chris parnell on the other hand......funny

OUstud
9/21/2006, 02:53 PM
Get rid of Poehler and all problems are solved.

jk the sooner fan
9/21/2006, 02:55 PM
oh i think poehler is great on the show

colleyvillesooner
9/21/2006, 02:58 PM
:pop:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2006, 03:01 PM
good cuts!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/21/2006, 03:02 PM
I thought they cancelled that show about 10 years ago. :confused:

SoonerJack
9/21/2006, 03:04 PM
oh i think poehler is great on the show

Pohler + Fey = weekend update awesomeness :pop:

jk the sooner fan
9/21/2006, 03:04 PM
i like poehler in some of the sketches she does, the little hyper girl that she plays is pretty funny

mdklatt
9/21/2006, 03:05 PM
Pohler + Fey = weekend update awesomeness :pop:

Dennis Miller is still the best Weekend Updater.

P.S. Pohler + Fey = two chicks I want to do at the same time :texan:

Scott D
9/21/2006, 03:17 PM
really, would anyone actually miss snl if it went off the air for good?

ousoonerfan
9/21/2006, 03:20 PM

Respectfully disagree....

"I'm Chevy Chase and you're not."

tbl
9/21/2006, 03:28 PM
I'm thinking it might start getter better again now that Tina Fey has left as head writer. As soon as she got that role, the show's writing went WAY downhill.

Horatio was funny when Jimmy Fallon was there, but very limited. I liked his "Choo Choo" character in the Leatherman skit, and the Turkish TV host was funny the first time they did it "That's bull jive, my bro bro!".

Parnell was one of those underrated guys. He really was funny as mess. It's a shame he won't be there any more, b/c they are strug-a-ling...

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/21/2006, 03:29 PM

P.S. Pohler + Fey = two chicks I want to do at the same time :texan:

Man, if only I had a million dollars....:D

picasso
9/21/2006, 03:37 PM
show has sucked for years.

and Tina Fey? is she funny or something?

Widescreen
9/21/2006, 04:04 PM

Well, she's certainly no Jerry Van Dyke.

I never thought Sanz was funny. But mostly I'm going to miss Finesse. :confused:

IronSooner
9/21/2006, 04:06 PM

not that I know of. I quit watching some time around the mid-90's when the last crew of talent left and Norm McDonald did the update. Never quite got that guy.

Taxman71
9/21/2006, 04:08 PM
Fey and Pohler are definitely not funny, alone or together. That was like watching a late night version of The View.

Rogue
9/21/2006, 04:55 PM
I got a kick out of Horatio Sanz sometimes. This will make Studio 60 more interesting too. Art/fiction or vice versa? Hmmm?

Sooner24
9/21/2006, 05:01 PM

Me too.

This is who needs to join the cast of SNL.

http://jdemirdjian.com/images/Dr%20Jack%20Kevorkian.jpg

It's the only merciful thing to do.

SoonerAtKU
9/21/2006, 05:26 PM
Horatio Sanz was not just the poor man's Chris Farley, he was the homeless man's Chris Farley.

A guaranteed channel change for me every time he was featured prominently.

Parnell was one of the best of the Kevin Nealon school of making everyone else around you funnier.

9/21/2006, 05:28 PM
Where are Victoria Jackson and Jan Hooks when ya need 'em? (Laraine Newman and Jane Curtin could use a gig, too)

Harry Beanbag
9/21/2006, 05:28 PM

I was going to say I didn't know that show was still on. :confused:

Blue
9/21/2006, 05:37 PM
Parnell was one of my all time favorites. Sanz had his moments. Finesse flat out sucked.

SNL should always stay on the air. It's always capable of a classic episode.

OUstud
9/21/2006, 05:54 PM
Norm Macdonald was the best on WU.

mdklatt
9/21/2006, 05:54 PM
Is it just the fog of nostalgia talking when we say "SNL isn't as good as it used to be"? It's all very back in my day.... Maybe it has nothing to do with the show going downhill but with us getting older and growing out of the target demographic. One of the charms of SNL for me when I was younger was that it was somewhat forbidden--staying up really late to watch potty humor on TV after you parents had gone to bed. And of course your parents didn't think any of it was funny even though you were doubled over.

9/21/2006, 06:22 PM
Is it just the fog of nostalgia talking when we say "SNL isn't as good as it used to be"? It's all very back in my day.... Maybe it has nothing to do with the show going downhill but with us getting older and growing out of the target demographic. One of the charms of SNL for me when I was younger was that it was somewhat forbidden--staying up really late to watch potty humor on TV after you parents had gone to bed. And of course your parents didn't think any of it was funny even though you were doubled over.I'm sorry, but who doesn't love Toonces the Cat as the Tooncinator?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/21/2006, 09:46 PM
Jane, you are an ignorant sl*t.

Scott D
9/22/2006, 11:00 AM
Is it just the fog of nostalgia talking when we say "SNL isn't as good as it used to be"? It's all very back in my day.... Maybe it has nothing to do with the show going downhill but with us getting older and growing out of the target demographic. One of the charms of SNL for me when I was younger was that it was somewhat forbidden--staying up really late to watch potty humor on TV after you parents had gone to bed. And of course your parents didn't think any of it was funny even though you were doubled over.

I think it's more an indicator that the viewing audience has become more sophisticated and the show has never really adapted to that. Improv 'shops' just aren't turning out the same type of comedian who is more capable of staying on their toes and being photogenic at the same tmie.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/22/2006, 11:25 AM
They need to get rid of that woman that looks like a bug. Not sure what her name is.

The only time I ever watch is when they show all of the election skits.

soonerbrat
9/22/2006, 11:30 AM
mmmm..Dane Cook

KC//CRIMSON
9/22/2006, 11:32 AM
They should have cancelled the show after Ferrell left.

Scott D
9/22/2006, 11:38 AM
They should have cancelled the show before Ferrell joined.

;)

Taxman71
9/22/2006, 12:46 PM
mmmm..Schweatty Balls

:eek:

9/22/2006, 12:56 PM
The Ferrell and Cheri Oteri cheerleading skits were plenty funny.

tbl
9/22/2006, 12:57 PM
No, it's really not as good as it used to be. I've been watching SNL since the early 80's, and the past two years have been awful. It's all about the writing and the skits, not necessarily the cast. This cast has had some good episodes and skits, but lately they've consistently awful.

No way they should cancel it. They go through cycles like this. There will be some more talented writers and cast members join and it will be golden again. I remember when Ferrell, Kattan, and all those guys started and everybody said how bad they sucked compared to the Myers, Farley, Hartman group. Obviously Ferrell had a LOT to do with how good that cast was, but they were all pretty good.

Scott D
9/22/2006, 12:59 PM
No, it's really not as good as it used to be. I've been watching SNL since the early 80's, and the past two years have been awful. It's all about the writing and the skits, not necessarily the cast. This cast has had some good episodes and skits, but lately they've consistently awful.

No way they should cancel it. They go through cycles like this. There will be some more talented writers and cast members join and it will be golden again. I remember when Ferrell, Kattan, and all those guys started and everybody said how bad they sucked compared to the Myers, Farley, Hartman group. Obviously Ferrell had a LOT to do with how good that cast was, but they were all pretty good.

no, I think the consistency at which those guys suck in movies was a pretty good indicator that that cast did in fact....suck.

tbl
9/22/2006, 01:05 PM
Phil Hartman wasn't good in movies and niether was Kevin Nealon, but those guys were gold. Movie success has zip to do with success on the show.

9/22/2006, 01:10 PM
Phil Hartman wasn't good in movies and niether was Kevin Nealon, but those guys were gold. Movie success has zip to do with success on the show.Jan Hooks was a classic. Her small town Texas hairdresser was PERFECT!

SoonerJack
9/22/2006, 01:13 PM
I forgot about Jan Hooks!

tbl
9/22/2006, 01:19 PM
Lovitz was pretty awesome too. Mephistopheles, Tommy Flanagan, Tonto.... greatness.

From the 90's group, there are plenty of good skits. PLENTY.

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 01:21 PM
Too many crazies and not enough straight men. Parnell gone means they have NO straight men any more. Is Keenan Thompson still there? He's okay at it...

For every Ferrell or Sandler or Kattan or Farley you had to have a Parnell or a Nealon or a Spade or a Carvey.

mdklatt
9/22/2006, 01:23 PM
Too many crazies and not enough straight men. Parnell gone means they have NO straight men any more. Is Keenan Thompson still there? He's okay at it...

Is Darrel Hammond still around?

9/22/2006, 01:27 PM
Too many crazies and not enough straight men...

For every Ferrell or Sandler or Kattan or Farley you had to have a Parnell or a Nealon or a Spade or a Carvey.Wait...Carvey was a straight man? Howzat?

jk the sooner fan
9/22/2006, 01:31 PM
i always thought molly shannon was the funniest female on the show, and Hartman easily the funniest male.......until Will Ferrell came along

tbl
9/22/2006, 01:35 PM
I don't know about easily. Hartman was greatness, but that late 80's/early 90's crew was loaded.

Scott D
9/22/2006, 01:52 PM
you could argue that with the exception of periods of a year or two, the early 80s through mid 90s were stacked...I think the talent pool just thinned out after that.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2006, 02:01 PM
i thought horatio s carol was hilarious.....

NormanPride
9/22/2006, 02:03 PM
Wait...Carvey was a straight man? Howzat?

You can never have a true straight man on a show like SNL. But think of his characters. The Church Lady was a pretty tame character, and he played Garth... You've just got to look at the personality. Carvey didn't scream much, while Farley, Farrell, Sandler, etc. made their living off of it.

jk the sooner fan
9/22/2006, 02:16 PM
i thought horatio s carol was hilarious.....

so did he

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2006, 02:53 PM
and his judge aaron neville was funny too...

tbl
9/22/2006, 03:02 PM
I'll give him the Aaron Neville...

Penguin
9/22/2006, 03:15 PM
I didn't like Dennis Miller. I don't want to have a thesaurus with me in order to understand somebody.

I love this Family Guy scene:

Dennis Miller: I don't want to go on a rant, here, but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antietam. I mean when a neo-conservative defenestrates it's like Raskolnikov filibuster deoxymonohydroxinate...

[Peter is watching this on TV]

Peter: What the hell does rant mean?

9/22/2006, 03:19 PM
I didn't like Dennis Miller. I don't want to have a thesaurus with me in order to understand somebody.

I love this Family Guy scene:

Dennis Miller: I don't want to go on a rant, here, but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antietam. I mean when a neo-conservative defenestrates it's like Raskolnikov filibuster deoxymonohydroxinate...

[Peter is watching this on TV]

Peter: What the hell does rant mean?You musta made up that last word!