PDA

View Full Version : God Bless Ivan Maisel

Landthief 1972
9/21/2006, 09:07 AM
He has AD at #1 on his Heisman list, and moved OU UP one spot in his personal poll, because "They didn't really lose." (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2595515)

Oregoon drops from 10 to 11:
"11. Oregon (10): What will happen if the Ducks run the table and go 12-0 with an asterisk?"

OUMallen
9/21/2006, 09:26 AM
He's the MAN.

stoopified
9/21/2006, 09:32 AM
It proves that at least one media member is not brain-dead .

okienole3
9/21/2006, 09:41 AM
I have heard multiple people on our side. Both guys on PTI and everyone on Around the Horn all said they would vote as if OU had won the game. It will be interesting to see where we are in the next set of polls.

Eddie Money
9/21/2006, 09:54 AM
Please don't get all gushy and giddy over media love - that, in my opinion, is not our style.

Amen to that - it won't be long before all the guys who are on our side now say some dumbass stuff about us.

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2006, 09:59 AM
That TRAITOR!

Ivan used to live 5 houses down from me on Royalshire Drive here in Dallas before moving to New York!

Since he's from Texas.. he's supposed to hate you guys since the perception is that all Texans hate you Sooners...

That traitor!!!! :mad:

Hatfield
9/21/2006, 10:08 AM
He has AD at #1 on his Heisman list, and moved OU UP one spot in his personal poll, because "They didn't really lose." (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2595515)

Oregoon drops from 10 to 11:
"11. Oregon (10): What will happen if the Ducks run the table and go 12-0 with an asterisk?"

the flip side of that equation is even more disturbing

starrca23
9/21/2006, 10:21 AM
I wish we could say the same for the guys from SI. Did anyone read the little piece on the debacle? They barley mentioned the poor officiating and said that J. Stewart was on AD's level! I wonder if they actually watch the game they have to write about.

PalmBeachSooner
9/21/2006, 10:55 AM
Please don't get all gushy and giddy over media love - that, in my opinion, is not our style.

It's our style to get our panties in a wad everytime a media talking head says anything remotely negative about the SOONERS.

The Maestro
9/21/2006, 11:03 AM
Since he's from Texas.. he's supposed to hate you guys since the perception is that all Texans hate you Sooners...

Just a few Texans that don't hate the Sooners...

Joe Washington
Billy Sims
Jack Mildren
Adrian Peterson
George Cumby
Brian Bosworth
Quentin Griffin
Tommie Harris
Rh..., er...nevermind!

GrapevineSooner
9/21/2006, 11:28 AM
Just a few Texans that don't hate the Sooners...

Joe Washington
Billy Sims
Jack Mildren
Adrian Peterson
George Cumby
Brian Bosworth
Quentin Griffin
Tommie Harris
Rh..., er...nevermind!

GrapevineSooner.

RedStripe
9/21/2006, 11:29 AM
Forde from ESPN had AD #1 in his Heisman as well

rainiersooner
9/21/2006, 04:01 PM
That TRAITOR!

Ivan used to live 5 houses down from me on Royalshire Drive here in Dallas before moving to New York!

I thought he was from Alabama.

auto
9/21/2006, 04:03 PM
That TRAITOR!

Dayum you live way too close, I will warn my friends who live on Royalton.:D See Daryl Johnston lately?;)

Rogue
9/21/2006, 07:19 PM
Dood is pretty funny too.

Just A Thought Bad enough that Oklahoma president David Boren suggested that the result of the Sooners' 34-33 loss at Oregon be stricken from the record book. But the conspiracy theorists in Oklahoma are in high gear. The Tulsa World received an anonymous fax Tuesday revealing that Dave Cutaia, the referee who worked the game at Autzen Stadium, went to high school with Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti.

You have to admire their deviousness. Cutaia has been a Pac-10 official, the story said, since 1983. Bellotti has been a coach at Oregon since 1989 and the head coach since 1995. Yet they waited 18 seasons before they unleashed their plot.

Now showing at theaters throughout Norman: The Manchurian Back Judge.

If you want something to think about: Replay official Gordon Riese, who neglected to reverse the onside kick ruling that gave Oregon the ball, was the line judge on the Pac-10 crew for the 1982 Stanford-California game. You make one game-turning error in your career, it's a mistake. You make two, it's a trend.

Yeah, I went to Stanford, which just goes to prove a universal truth: When your team loses, your conspiracy theory is ludicrous. When my team loses, we need an investigation.

Heisman Hype 1. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma, RB: He had 34 carries for 211 yards, but the Pac-10 officiating crew has him down for 211 carries for 34 yards.

And he can be serious:

2. Why is Adrian Peterson more effective in the 2nd half?The longer the game goes, the longer Peterson goes. The Oklahoma junior tailback's numbers are startling.

In the first half this season, Peterson has rushed for 164 yards. In the second half, he has run for 351, or 68 percent of his total of 515 yards. It's a pattern that he has established over the course of his two-plus seasons with the Sooners. In the first half, he has rushed for 1,322 yards. In the second half, he has rushed for 2,226 yards, or 62.7 percent of his total of 3,548 yards.

Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
Adrian Peterson has gained 68 percent of his yards this season after halftime.
It's especially remarkable given that Oklahoma has won six games in Peterson's career by at least 24 points, which means less time for him in the fourth quarter.

The reason, Oklahoma center Jon Cooper said, is simple.

"He's in better shape than everybody else," Cooper said. "When other guys are tired, he's still going 110 percent."

Peterson is 6-foot-2, 218 pounds and runs a sub-4.4 40. His motor can go a long time between oil changes. It's funny, isn't it, how the most talented guys are also the hardest workers. Cooper said that when he gets in his stance and looks across the line, he sees the results of Peterson's labors.

"The defensive linemen and the linebackers look at him standing straight up," Cooper said. "Those guys are breathing hard and sweaty. They don't look like they want any part of him. He's going hard all the time. He's the same way in practice. It can be the last play in practice. He's finishing in the end zone."

The offensive linemen and receivers see Peterson work hard and they work hard. It may be subliminal. It may be contagious. It may simply be learning by repetition, over and over.

"Watching him break tackles and do stuff nobody else can do, you think, 'If I block my guy a little more, he [Peterson] is going to take a regular zone play the distance,'" Cooper said. "Coach [Kevin] Wilson [the Sooners' offensive coordinator] said it's like breaking rock with a hammer. You're not going to break it with the first strike. Anybody can tackle him once. By the last time, there's no way. He's going to break them down."