PDA

View Full Version : Raise your hand if you are glad this weeks topic isn't Paul Thompson.

batonrougesooner
9/21/2006, 12:33 AM
Lets take a minute to reflect here. Approximately 6 weeks ago the sky was falling in Soonerland. Bomar, Big Red, IRS, funny money.

What will we do? We are doomed!!!

I have to admit I was skeptical. I recognized the maturity PT brought to the huddle, just not the talent.

I was wrong. Thankfully.

Paul is the man. M-A-N.

He is poised, collected, in control. Makes good decisions, good throws, and doesn't fall apart when down by ten on the road. He is more than a "caretaker quarterback." He is a player I wish we had around another two years.

Can you believe he was a wide receiver a few weeks ago? He looks like a QUARTERBACK to me.

The guy is a stud. We will be missing him next year.

Blue
9/21/2006, 01:11 AM
The what-ifs and could'ves for this team are mind numbing.

Gotta love the roller coaster that is OU Football.

Jewstin
9/21/2006, 01:18 AM
*raises hand*

I knew PT would silence the doubters. After Bomar was kicked off the team and they held an open practice/scrimmage, I stayed afterwards and got a celebratory handslap from PT. The guy wears my lucky number (both my dad and I wore it through our basketball years), and I love that twinkle in his eye ... he's one of the oldest players on the team, one of the only ones to remember the drubbings we served up in the RRSO and that sort of mentality brings a lot to the team.

I've always felt he got jacked after last year's opener (he lead the only touchdown drive in the game for christmas' sake!), and I couldn't stand that pompous mentality of Rhett Bomar. The guy wasn't a team player in the least (as evidenced by his losing record in high school).

PT is all that and more and by the end of the season, we're going to be very, very proud of what he has done.

I've maintained, since Bomar's dismissal from the team, that this year is going to be special. The Oregon debacle threw that on it's ear, but they're going to rebound in a big, big way. Karma works both ways.

Ike
9/21/2006, 01:33 AM
I'm not. Paul has been everything we have expected from him and more this year. This guy is a good QB, and its my opinion that he SHOULD be the topic of discussion for a week or so. Because, in my opinion, he's that damn good.

sooner13f
9/21/2006, 07:41 AM
Paul is doing a better job than I expected, to be honest. I thought he could be good but felt there would be more growing pains. Just imagine if he had a better O-line...I mean if they could just give him a few more seconds..sure glad he throws very well on the run..

GDC
9/21/2006, 07:56 AM
World Picks: OU-Oregon tests Picker's patience
By World Sports Columnist
9/21/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

We came across some timely documents this week -- the first parts of two tests.

Pac-10 Officials Examination.

True or false.

1. To get the home Pac-10 crowd fired up, it's always a good idea to do the windmill first-and-10 move, rotating your arm in two fully extended circles before pointing enthusiastically toward the end zone.

Answer: True.

2. If your old eyes are bothering you again, and you didn't see a play correctly, get help.

False.

3. After rushing in to spot forward progress for the visitor, press your toe slightly under the football.

True.

4. When spotting the football for the home team, use the shoe that is three sizes too wide.

True.

5. If you live within the shadow of the stadium where you're calling the game, list your home in your wife's maiden name.

True.

OU President Exam.

1. If a student has a bad day, he or she can get a grade erased from the books.

False.

2. You will not hesitate to ask for the National Guard to accompany your party on road games.

True.

3. You

will campaign as vigorously for education as you will football.

False.

4. You will read editorial cartoons on a daily basis.

False.

5. If a referee's bad call costs your team a victory, you will cancel classes in a day of mourning.

True.

The Picks

SATURDAY

Middle Tennessee at OU (-271/2): What's wrong with OU's defense?

Homers on sports talk radio for one thing.

Last year when OU's defense was getting torched by everybody from TU to hapless Texas A&M, we suggested that the head defensive coach should be nicknamed Vulnerables.

We got numerous E-mails saying OU's was good last year and would be great this year and that we should keep nicknames to ourselves.

The point is, you can't take cheerleaders too seriously.

This could mean something: When Bo Pelini was at Nebraska, he was a defensive genius. He has been at LSU two years and is a defensive genius.

When he was at OU, he was considered a laughing stock.

System failure?

This foe is no laughing stock and could stay reasonably close if OU's head is elsewhere.

It is on pay TV for $30.

When will you put out snacks and like for us to arrive? OU by 28.

Oklahoma State at Houston (-21/2): Talk about a season on the brink.

We can't stand OSU's Kansas State-type of scheduling, which didn't even help Kansas State.

It's not true that there is no provision in the current poll system to reward good scheduling and penalize bad scheduling.

It's called the human brain.

OSU loses this, T. Boone could call for a rebate.

Gut check, does OSU have any?

OSU by 4.

Tulsa at Navy (-51/2): TU's season is on the bubble.

This is one of those 50-50 games that shades a year one way or another.

Coach K was quoted as saying TU wasn't focusing entirely on Navy's running game.

That set our teeth to chattering.

Navy by 2.

Alabama at Arkansas (-2): The SEC is so tough, Bama has been reduced to just another red face.

Arkansas by 3.

Louisville (-10) at Kansas State: Cheesy team dream -- injured good team comes for a visit.

We could be the only one outside Kansas giving one of the Big 12's worst a chance.

Louisville by 7.

Penn State at Ohio State (-17): Exciting doings here as ESPN awards the Heisman to the Ohio State quarterback.

Ohio State by 20.

Iowa State at Texas (-21): OU-Texas is a 100 percent toss-up.

Mack lacks back attack -- starts wrong runner, Charles should be in there.

Texas by 20.

Notre Dame (-31/2) at Michigan State: Turns out there is something like a Dame.

Visitor by 3.

Colorado at Georgia (-271/2): Buffs bid for Sportsmanship Trophy.

Georgia by 40.

USC (-17) at Arizona: Stoops Extra Strength turning into a loud bust in Tucson.

His offense is defensive.

USC by only 6.

SUNDAY

Cincy at the Steelers (-3): Cowher's chin should be seen quivering after the sad decision to play a lame quarterback.

Steelers by 4.

Jacksonville at Indy (-9): Flavor of the month melts.

Indy by 10.

Bears (-3) at Minnie: Da Bears.

Le Vikes, by 1.

Giants at Seattle (-31/2): Hits just keep on coming.

Seattle by 1.

Denver at New England (-61/2): Jake the Cupcake.

New England by 7.

MONDAY

Atlanta (-3) at New Orleans: No chance ESPN will over-do the return to the city of New Orleans, is there?

No chance Theismann will stop talking for ten seconds is there?

New Orleans by 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read the Picker's blog at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Web
Want to take on The Picker? Visit http://www.tulsaworld.com/contests/2006/picker/PickerContestForm.asp every week and play Out Pick the Picker..

GDC
9/21/2006, 08:00 AM
Coach speak
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/21/2006

In the coaching fraternity, enemies and strangers commiserate.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said he got a phone call Tuesday from Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, who "just apologized that it's just unfortunate that the two of us have got to be in the middle of it."

"It," of course, is the series of bungled officiating decisions in the final minute that cost OU a 34-33 setback at Oregon last weekend.

"I said, 'Well, you didn't do anything wrong but play hard. Same thing we were trying to do,' " Stoops said. "I said, 'We count on professionals to do the right things in their positions,' and he agreed.

"He understood the situation."

Asked if he felt any sympathy for Bellotti, whose program is being vilified for stealing a victory with the help of an officiating crew, Stoops shook his head.

"I'd rather be in his position," Stoops said. "No one wants to win that way, but in the end, all you're doing is the best you can and you trust people to do their job and do it the right way."

Stoops said he actually has received quite a few calls from around the country, including one from Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo.

"I've never spoken with

Tom Izzo," Stoops said. "Never met him in my life. Tom called just appalled at the situation and expressing his concern and support. He knows as a coach what we have to endure and just how wrong it was."/

GDC
9/21/2006, 08:00 AM
OU Notebook: Corner men
By GUERIN EMIG AND JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers
9/21/2006

For the third straight week, Oklahoma will have movement at the cornerback position. This week, junior Marcus Walker steps into the starting lineup in place of Lendy Holmes, who replaced D.J. Wolfe.

"After that first wide receiver screen, (Walker) was like, 'Would you please put me in?' " defensive coordinator Brent Venables said. " 'All right, big boy, here we go.' And Marcus has earned our trust. He really came in and played well, did some really good things."

Walker will be playing field corner, which takes the wide side of the field when the ball is on a hashmark. Sophomore Reggie Smith, who started the first two games at field corner, was moved to boundary corner against Oregon. The boundary corner often faces more action in the passing game.

Said Venables, "We thought if anybody could handle a move -- the first couple games we were being attacked in the boundary, and that's typically what you see. So we want a guy that can make plays."

Communication breakdown: Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said one of the timeouts quarterback Paul Thompson burned in the first half was the result of a miscommunication between the play Wilson sent in and what Thompson had written on his wristband.

Wilson also explained the illegal formation penalty that negated a Juaquin Iglesias TD.

"We've got 90 plays on a wristband, 45 plays on the left hash, 45 on the right. Maybe it's a little too cluttered," Wilson said. "A formation was called where if a tight end is off the ball, a receiver needs to be on. You check yourself. If you're off, always look outside and wave the guy on."

Stoops refutes report: According to a column in Tuesday's Oregonian newspaper, Gordon Riese, the replay official at Saturday's Oklahoma-Oregon game, did not get the replays television viewers saw on ABC.

The report said Riese instead saw one frame of video which showed Oregon's onside kick had touched a Sooner's helmet before illegally touching a Duck inside of the mandatory 10 yards.

Asked to respond to the report Tuesday, coach Bob Stoops said: "All I have understood was the (Pac-10) commissioner's comments of 'ample review.' That speaks for itself."

Whine not: With so much rhetoric coming directly from OU the past two days, some media types claim the Sooners have taken their case too far and become sore losers.

"I don't need to tell you what that means. They need to fill up some air time," Stoops said. "He's going to take the other side and get everybody riled up. I know the deal. You know? Go ahead.

"And question his intelligence if he's actually seen what happened."

Score more: One coach not as quick to jump into the melee is offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson.

"When you play nine years in the Mid-American Conference playing Big Ten teams, you get used to not getting calls," said Wilson, who coached at Miami (Ohio) and Northwestern from 1990-2001. "And when you're at Northwestern playing big teams, you get used to not getting calls.

"So I've always been where you've got to play well enough to overcome that one call and not leave points on the board, get in the scoring zone and execute better or have a better plan or rhythm of plays to get 7s instead of 3s.".

GDC
9/21/2006, 08:01 AM
Questions with Jacob Gutierrez
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
9/21/2006

Position: Running back
Class: Junior
Height/Weight: 5-6, 186
Hometown: San Antonio

What's the best part of game day that no one knows about?

The motivationals before the game are pretty interesting. We've got little clips of the game (from) last week.

What's a typical Sunday like for you?

Get up around 10:30. Go to church around 11. Go out to eat after church with some friends. McAlister's usually. Come back, straighten up the room a little bit, do some housecleaning. Relax. Watch a little football on the tube. Do some homework. I love Sundays, just relaxing.

Do you play fantasy football?

I don't. I really don't know how all that stuff works. I've heard a lot about it, though.

Your favorite road trip so far?

Going to A&M (in 2004) was pretty neat. That was a real crazy game over there. That was the first time I've been in Kyle Field, which is a neat stadium. Being from Texas, that was pretty cool, too.

Your least favorite?

Oregon, actually. Just the length of the trip. It was a long flight, going all the way out there and coming back. We got in at 12:30 at night./

GDC
9/21/2006, 08:02 AM
Know the Foe: Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/21/2006

Record: 2-1
Coach: Rick Stockstill (first year, 2-1)
Web site: www.GoBlueRaiders.com

Offense

Formation: One-back

Statistics: 67th nationally in rushing (123.7 ypg), 101st in passing (142.0 ypg), 99th in total offense (265.7 ypg), 80th in scoring (20.3 ppg).

Top players: QB Clint Marks is among the school's all-time passing leaders. RB Eugene Gross has the team's top bench press (225 pounds 27 times) and has 2,044 career rushing yards and 33 rushing TDs. RT Germayle Franklin (6-4, 314) was preseason All-SBC (Sun Belt Conference) and has a team-best 31 straight starts.

Defense

Formation: 4-3

Statistics: 24th in rushing defense (80.7 ypg), 14th in pass defense (138.0 ypg), 11th in total defense (218.7 ypg), 11th in scoring defense (10.0 ppg).

Top players: LB J.K. Sabb is a preseason Butkus Award candidate and leads the team with 19 tackles and 5-1/2 for loss. CB Reggie Doucet had two interceptions and two passed broken up in last week's

44-0 shutout over Tennessee Tech. DE Erik Walden has a team-high three sacks and three forced fumbles.

Special teams

Statistics: 44th in net punting (38.9), 95th in punt returns (4.0), 22nd in kickoff returns (25.6).

Top players: PK/P Colby Smith is 2-of-3 on field goals this season and also averages 41.6 yards per punt.

Notable

Since joining Division I-A in 1999, the Blue Raiders are 0-9 against Top 25 teams and 3-18 against Big 12/SEC/ACC/Pac-10 foes, with all three wins against Vanderbilt. Middle Tennessee's notable NFL alumni include 49ers CB Don Griffin and Bills/Brown QB Kelly Holcomb..