PDA

View Full Version : Riese granted leave of absence

Geekboy
9/20/2006, 07:09 PM
for the season. Sorry if this has been posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2596442&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Geekboy
9/20/2006, 07:12 PM
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- The instant replay official whose failure to overturn a bad call helped Oregon beat Oklahoma has been granted a leave of absence for the remainder of the football season by the Pac-10.

The league announced Wednesday that official Gordon Riese, who has already been suspended for a game by the Pac-10, requested a leave of absence.

Because Pac-10 replay officials work in crews, replay assistant Roger Judd also will not work any more games this season.

"Gordon Riese had a distinguished 28-year career as a Pac-10 official and, with the exception of Saturday, had done a fine job as a replay official," Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen said. "He is an individual with impeccable officiating credentials and unquestioned integrity. We look forward to his return next season."

Riese has said he was "struggling" with missing the call.

"I feel so bad I missed that call, it's driving me crazy," he said.

In the final minutes of Oregon's 34-33 comeback victory over Oklahoma, the Ducks recovered an onside kick that set up what turned out to be the winning touchdown.

Oregon's recovery of the onside kick should have been disallowed because the Ducks touched the ball before it went the required 10 yards.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blues1
9/20/2006, 07:27 PM
JMHO --- This guy is on the Run - More will be revealed - Keep on Knocking....And Keep on Rockin'

The Truth wants to be told...!

olevetonahill
9/20/2006, 07:28 PM
You can be the best official for years, but suck just one ducks **** and your labled for ever :pop:

mosoon
9/20/2006, 07:33 PM
Other famous quotes:

"He was the best pilot ever until he killed those 400 passengers by landing the 747 upside down."

mosoon
9/20/2006, 07:33 PM
"He was the best surgeon ever until he accidentally removed that man's left leg instead of his kidney."

mosoon
9/20/2006, 07:35 PM
"That guy was the nicest member of Al Queda ever until he drove that booby-trapped camel into a market full of innocent people."

mosoon
9/20/2006, 07:37 PM
"She was the best cook I'd ever seen until she served the entire family rat poison in the meatloaf."

mosoon
9/20/2006, 07:38 PM
"He was the best computer programmer I'd ever worked with right up until he delivered that virus into the network and fried every computer in the office."

mosoon
9/20/2006, 07:39 PM
P.S., I think it is about time we Nancy Graced this guy.

QuiteRightSlick
9/20/2006, 07:42 PM
It is appropriate,and Hello.

The Maestro
9/20/2006, 07:47 PM
"He is an individual with impeccable officiating credentials and unquestioned integrity."

So I'm guessing the Pac 10 Commish doesn't reside at soonerfans.com, huh?

I think A LOT of people are questioning his integrity!

Sooner47
9/20/2006, 07:49 PM
Could be that Mr. Riese has been given a 3-4 week vacation by U of O, Pac 10 or Phil Knight to somewhere far away from inquiring reporters. Sure hope he doesn't end up sleeping with the fishes. :D

StuIsTheMan
9/20/2006, 07:52 PM
Check his bank records...

PAW
9/20/2006, 08:10 PM
It doesn't make sense that Judd was given the year off simply because they are a "crew." Hire another guy to work with Judd and they'd have a crew. The fact that Judd is getting a year off also, implies that he played a part in the hanky-panky going on in the booth.

:pop:

Octavian
9/20/2006, 08:14 PM
wow...he even had an assistant :confused:

bri
9/20/2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, but all he did was hold his heart pills for him.

PAW
9/20/2006, 08:20 PM
Think about it. They'd rather hire and train 2 people than just one? If they kept Judd, they'd have some experience in the booth to help the new guy. He was told to take the year off.

bri
9/20/2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, well, apparently experience is vasty overrated in this case. ;)

swardboy
9/20/2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah, well, apparently experience is vasty overrated in this case. ;)

Oh man...ZING!!!!

olevetonahill
9/20/2006, 08:52 PM
Could be that Mr. Riese has been given a 3-4 week vacation by U of O, Pac 10 or Phil Knight to somewhere far away from inquiring reporters. Sure hope he doesn't end up sleeping with the fishes. :D
In view of the threats on this Man . this is way out of line imho :eek:

batonrougesooner
9/20/2006, 09:37 PM
So am I the only one who actually feels sorry for this guy?

I can't help but give the guy the benefit of the doubt regarding corruption vs incompetence until I see convincing evidence otherwise.

Maybe he did or didn't have all the angles. At a minimum he is incompetent, hopefully not more.

But until I see proof otherwise, I can't help but feel sorry for this guy.

Picture yourself as a career official who has prided yourself on accuracy and professionalism above all else. Then one day you make the bone-head of all bone-head calls. You realize it after the fact but there is nothing you can do now but apologize. You feel horrible, you are humiliated nationally and amongst your peers and family, every ***-hat with a working telephone and a radio is calling into the sports talk shows calling you a fool or a cheater, asking for your job and worse.

I don't have an answer for these events anymore than the next guy. But I really hate to see a guy's life ruined over something so relatively trivial as a football call. How pathetic is it that he actually has to worry about his safety and the safety of his family over this? Like I said, I feel sorry for the guy.

Sooner47
9/20/2006, 09:44 PM
In view of the threats on this Man . this is way out of line imho :eek:

Then you missed the point. If you believe as I do that there is more to this than has been reported so far then you would not be surprised that there may be people that do not want Mr. Riese talking with reporters about this incident and those people are not Sooners. If he should be afraid of anyone, it is these people not some fools making death threats on the phone.

Jello Biafra
9/20/2006, 09:50 PM

prolly

mfosterftw
9/20/2006, 09:54 PM
It doesn't make sense that Judd was given the year off simply because they are a "crew." Hire another guy to work with Judd and they'd have a crew. The fact that Judd is getting a year off also, implies that he played a part in the hanky-panky going on in the booth.

My guess is neither of these guys are coming back. They've been busted for some combination of lying and incompetence.

I also think that, very quietly, the Pac-10 will revise their officiating policy... sometime around March.

Sometimes the justice we seek is neither swift nor apparent... but in the end we will receive it.

Marc

sooneron
9/20/2006, 09:58 PM

No, I'm sure his family empathizes. He had a chance to get the call right. Whether that means going to the abc booth or control truck, whatever, he didn't do it because he was weak/ paid off/whatever.

Good riddance loser.

TrophyCollector
9/20/2006, 09:58 PM

I can't help but give the guy the benefit of the doubt regarding corruption vs incompetence until I see convincing evidence otherwise.

Where there is smoke there is fire my friend, and there are way too many circumstances pointing to a fire here. The only person that said he didn't have all of the video was the "secret" source from the Oregon writer in the same article telling all the world to feel sorry for Gordo and leave him alone.

Ash
9/20/2006, 10:02 PM

Maybe he did or didn't have all the angles. At a minimum he is incompetent, hopefully not more.

But until I see proof otherwise, I can't help but feel sorry for this guy.

Picture yourself as a career official who has prided yourself on accuracy and professionalism above all else. Then one day you make the bone-head of all bone-head calls. You realize it after the fact but there is nothing you can do now but apologize. You feel horrible, you are humiliated nationally and amongst your peers and family, every ***-hat with a working telephone and a radio is calling into the sports talk shows calling you a fool or a cheater, asking for your job and worse.

I don't have an answer for these events anymore than the next guy. But I really hate to see a guy's life ruined over something so relatively trivial as a football call. How pathetic is it that he actually has to worry about his safety and the safety of his family over this? Like I said, I feel sorry for the guy.

I can see where you're coming from, and the guy probably doesn't deserve what he's getting if this is simply a case of incompetence.

However, there was no "bonehead" call to be made in this case. Both in live action TV feeds, but most certainly in slow-motion replays (especially if he had access to more than one angle), there's only one call to be made. As I've said before, if this were one of those cases where it was a judgement call or ambiguous even in replay - that would be one thing. But it wasn't, and it was clearly not so both in live action and in the replays.

That's what gets me about this - this wasn't one of those "bad calls" that happens all the time in football games. It was blatant and correctable. If he didn't have the right feeds to make a call, he should have made that clear - many different steps could have been taken including going down the hall (next door?) to the TV room and saying "hey guys can I borrow a monitor?"

TrophyCollector
9/20/2006, 10:06 PM
And about this supposed "only one angle" - please tell me what angle it was. Seems like they showed all they had on ABC and it's hard to imagine any angle that showed anything other than them touching the ball unless they were using the FarkCam 3000.

RacerX
9/20/2006, 10:08 PM
Lets not forget, and I know we're not, that the on the field officials totally monkey ****ed the play call.

I have no sympathy for Riese, but those dickheads on the field deserve at least as much grief as Riese is getting.

succs

r5TPsooner
9/20/2006, 10:27 PM
I wonder how many duck bucks he got for his actions on Saturday?

batonrougesooner
9/20/2006, 10:33 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm just being naive. Maybe I want to believe the best of people, perhaps to a fault. I agree the call displayed incompetence from both the officials on the field to the replay booth. I hate to see the guy suffer in his personal life I guess.

I'm still having a hard time making the leap to believing this was something worse than incompetence. I do agree however that the video evidence was convincing and clear that we should have gotten the ball and that the pass was tipped. I guess that leaves us with only one explaination. Hmm, come to think of it, this whole thing stinks pretty bad.

I think 100% full disclosure by the conference and those guys in the booth would be the only way to make this thing go away.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:35 PM
Well, I work in NYC, if you **** up, you're gone. F'in see ya!

nautiduck
9/20/2006, 10:49 PM
You folks are amazing. I hope you don't screw up some day in your lives and get no forgiveness. Any of you standup guys consider yourself a Christian?

There is no conspiracy. There is just a man who made a mistake that has ruined an otherwise fine career. Is being *******s part of the Oklahoma "tradition?"

You had the country's sympathy on Sunday. It's gone now. You whiners squandered it.

rhombic21
9/20/2006, 10:54 PM
From what I understand, his career is far from fine outside of this game.

I don't think he ought to be persecuted in his personal life, but as an official, he's clearly not competent with the task that he was assigned, and he ought not be able to call any games again.

Ash
9/20/2006, 10:56 PM
You folks are amazing. I hope you don't screw up some day in your lives and get no forgiveness. Any of you standup guys consider yourself a Christian?

There is no conspiracy. There is just a man who made a mistake that has ruined an otherwise fine career. Is being *******s part of the Oklahoma "tradition?"

You had the country's sympathy on Sunday. It's gone now. You whiners squandered it.

Another troll with "duck" in their handle. You guys are popping up faster than herpes on Mack Brown's lips.:rolleyes:

Try reading a few posts before reacting, or better yet go away before you get shoe-whipped.

TrophyCollector
9/20/2006, 10:58 PM

We have the video that the entire world saw and says we were right.

Where is the so-called mystery "one angle" that the mystery source who only talked to the Oregon writer who told us all to feel sorry for poor Gordo?

How was this one f'd up angle called "conclusive video evidence"?

Why did the PAC 10 commish and the head of officials say there were plenty of angles?

Why did Gordo tell the AP that the equipment they use isn't as good as the NFL's when the PAC 10 uses the exact same system by XOS Technologies that the NFL uses?

Why do PAC 10 rules state that the XOS System will be hooked into the TV broadcast during televised games, yet ABC didn't have the "mystery angle" that shows OU touching the ball first?

XOS Systems have a "review the reviewer" feature that shows exactly what the replay officials watched. Why haven't we seen that video or heard any comment on it?

If PAC 10 has a rule that officials are not allowed to comment about game calls, how does Gordo have an AP article published on Monday talking about the call?

Can you answer one of those questions Slappy?

And yes I am a Christian and Jesus doesn't like cheating.

nautiduck
9/20/2006, 10:58 PM
Shoe-whipped? Is that like parting like the Red Sea for Dixon to wander into the endzone. Did our wide-out get shoe-whipped when he blew by the defender for the winning TD? Or did your kicker get shoe-whipped when he couldn't make the easy winner? 501 yards. Ooooh boy, you sure shoe-whipped us!

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:59 PM

Like I said tree hugger, I live in a competitive environment. I know what the lee-way is- none. Life is a bitch. Life is unfair. Hmm, our football team is learning that, why not the dumb *** that caused the lesson??

brown town sooner
9/20/2006, 11:00 PM
nautiduck....don't like what's being written on OUr message board don't come here a!@munch. Duck fans are hating the fact that this thing is getting more and more obvious. They would like for it to go away. A blown call without the review in place goes away rather quckly. A blatant robbery will not go away until the truth is known. I want to hear someone tell us EXACTLY what happened in that booth. There had to be more than a couple people there who saw it.

Ash
9/20/2006, 11:00 PM
Shoe-whipped? Is that like parting like the Red Sea for Dixon to wander into the endzone. Did our wide-out get shoe-whipped when he blew by the defender for the winning TD? Or did your kicker get shoe-whipped when he couldn't make the easy winner? 501 yards. Ooooh boy, you sure shoe-whipped us!

Heh...I knew you'd bite on that one.

Go ahead and talk some more sh**.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 11:02 PM
Strange one duck lied to me saying that the whack 10 is 97% for over 40 yards on kicks, and yet, they aren't 50%. Yeah, that 44 yards is easy. :rolleyes:

TrophyCollector
9/20/2006, 11:03 PM
Or did your kicker get shoe-whipped when he couldn't make the easy winner?

We've made or missed more FG attempts that impacted the National Championship than you'll ever see Oregon attempt if you live 50 years past the day you die.

brown town sooner
9/20/2006, 11:04 PM
nautiduck....Your team was shoe-whipped for 3 and 7/8ths quarters until your pac10 crew pulled the screw job. I'd like to see the mighty ducks put up a defensive stand after just having been bent over like our team was. Guess what, Oregon isn't that good. ASU will hand them their a#$ this week and I suppose everyone in puke green and pi$$ yellow will say it was Oklahoma's fault because of all of the "distractions"

Paperclip
9/20/2006, 11:05 PM
Other famous quotes:

"He was the best pilot ever until he killed those 400 passengers by landing the 747 upside down."

mosoon??!!! OMG! Where have you been man?!

Octavian
9/20/2006, 11:06 PM

this single question might qualify you as the dumbest person to come to this board this season.

that's sayin' something.

Is being *******s part of the Oklahoma "tradition?"

is this the Jesus in you typing?

And here's where we get to the heart of the duck fans' current feelings about the game.

They know they didn't earn the win. They know it. The whole freakin world knows it.

In fact, there's exactly ONE person on the face of the globe that has seen the instant replay video and not come to the same conclusion.

Just.

One.

What gives them comfort is that the Portland resident who made the worst sports ruling in the last decade has received some junk threats from some idiot not even connected w/ the program.

And now they have something to make themselves feel better.

Congrats on your "win."

landrun
9/20/2006, 11:19 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm just being naive. Maybe I want to believe the best of people, perhaps to a fault. I agree the call displayed incompetence from both the officials on the field to the replay booth. I hate to see the guy suffer in his personal life I guess.

I'm still having a hard time making the leap to believing this was something worse than incompetence. I do agree however that the video evidence was convincing and clear that we should have gotten the ball and that the pass was tipped. I guess that leaves us with only one explaination. Hmm, come to think of it, this whole thing stinks pretty bad.

I think 100% full disclosure by the conference and those guys in the booth would be the only way to make this thing go away.

There is a logical way to reconcile Riese's claim's and the ABC/PAC10 statements.
Riese says he saw one frame, a still image. ABC/PAC10 say they had all the video feeds we saw for those 4 minutes. Now the assistant has been dismissed for the year along with Riese. The 'Assistant' is appointed by Oregon University while the Official (Riese) is appointed by the PAC10 itself.

The official makes the call as to what he sees. But... the Replay Assistant is responsible for showing him the feeds (this is directly off of the PAC10's web site when listing the people and responsiblities they have during replay)

So, you can reconcile all of this in this way.
ABC send them the feeds as they do with every other replay. The Assistant didn't produce anything for Riese to see but one frame of video that showed OU touching the ball. Riese, against his better judgement ended up making the call with that one shot.

That would also explain the absurd announcment by the official saying that there is video evidence that "OU touched the ball and thus the ball is LIVE. First Down Oregon"

Everyone is shocked at the unacceptable call. The PAC 10 finds out the truth and over the period of a few days suspends the Oregon assistant and the official himself for the call.

Just my personal theory. And I like it. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/tommie.gif

Plano UT
9/20/2006, 11:20 PM
Just FYI.....this is an American Human Being and this is just football.

I know you are mad, as would I, but you are talking about a human being who blew a call. You guys are talking as if he screwed your wife, raped your children, stole your bible and kicked your dog on the way out the door.

God forbid you put any common sense over your reaction to the BLOWN CALL.

I think Al Queda might have lessor reaction to a Jew marrying Osama.

Ash
9/20/2006, 11:25 PM

I know you are mad, as would I, but you are talking about a human being who blew a call. You guys are talking as if he screwed your wife, raped your children, stole your bible and kicked your dog on the way out the door.

Do any trolls bother to read posts in a thread before stinkin' it up with their BS?

Yeah, some of us OU fans were ****ed and some won't let it go, but you're way out of line.

Besides, I don't remember anyone on here giving a phuk what any whorns thought about this.

We'll deal with you sperm burpers come October.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 11:26 PM

Like I said, Competitive environment. He can't hack it- see ya. You rubes will never make it in the big leagues.:rolleyes:

In my biz, you're nobody til you've been fired.:eek:

sooneron
9/20/2006, 11:28 PM
Sperm burpers! Best ever!!:texan:

Ash
9/20/2006, 11:32 PM
Sperm burpers! Best ever!!:texan:

Heh...the whorns bring out the best of my hate.

:D

Plano UT
9/20/2006, 11:38 PM
Do any trolls bother to read posts in a thread before stinkin' it up with their BS?

Yeah, some of us OU fans were ****ed and some won't let it go, but you're way out of line.

Besides, I don't remember anyone on here giving a phuk what any whorns thought about this.

And if you do, it will be one step closer to having A REAL BEEF ABOUT YOUR BLOWN SEASON. Until then, you sound like somebody who has no common sense and can't seperate football from real life, which by the way football is not real life no matter where you come from.

Get in the real world and you will discover that LIFE IS NOT FAIR and neither was that call.

God forbid common sense gets "...way out of line"

Octavian
9/20/2006, 11:44 PM

please tell us more.

You've seen the replay. Everyone has.

You tell us what sort've mathematical odds you'd give on this:

A Portland, Oregon resident saw that replay and made an honest mistake which put the game in the favor of the University of Oregon.

An honest mistake....from a Portland, Oregon resident....watching a replay that the rest of Western Civilization has collectively deemed as obvious...just so happening to tip the scales in favor of his home state.

What are the odds on that?

Either he just made the sort of astronomical mistake that'd boggle the mind of Stephen Hawking.....or.....there was something incredibly wrong that happened in that booth that we don't know about yet.

C'mon, Kathy....do tell us more about what our fanbase should and shouldn't do....

Plano UT
9/20/2006, 11:45 PM
Like I said, Competitive environment. He can't hack it- see ya. You rubes will never make it in the big leagues.:rolleyes:

In my biz, you're nobody til you've been fired.:eek:

I GUARANTEE you have not seen the competive nature of my business. This is not the spouting of some liberal Austin stereotype. This is somebody that has held season tickets to the horns for the last 10 plus years and lived through the *** whippings you gave us just a few years ago.

This is somebody whose 5 yr old coach pitch team kills everybody because I don't want them to lose and coach them that way.

ONCE AGAIN, YOU GOT SCREWED. IT HAPPENS. Stop whinning and move on with the season. It was a non conference game and it stops you from nothing that you set your sights for this year.

Now when we beat you in three weeks this will all go for not.

Octavian
9/20/2006, 11:47 PM
This is somebody whose 5 yr old coach pitch team kills everybody because I don't want them to lose and coach them that way.

anyone need a sig?

batonrougesooner
9/20/2006, 11:48 PM
I'm getting my popcorn. Keep going.

Octavian
9/20/2006, 11:50 PM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3393/postermf5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Plano UT
9/20/2006, 11:51 PM
please tell us more.

You've seen the replay. Everyone has.

You tell us what sort've mathematical odds you'd give on this:

A Portland, Oregon resident saw that replay and made an honest mistake which put the game in the favor of the University of Oregon.

An honest mistake....from a Portland, Oregon resident....watching a replay that the rest of Western Civilization has collectively deemed as obvious...just so happening to tip the scales in favor of his home state.

What are the odds on that?

Either he just made the sort of astronomical mistake that'd boggle the mind of Stephen Hawking.....or.....there was something incredibly wrong that happened in that booth that we don't know about yet.

C'mon, Kathy....do tell us more about what our fanbase should and shouldn't do....

So you are running with conspiracy theories? You should be burning the guy in effigy on the grassy knoll.

Whether it was a conscious descision to give it to the ducks or not......you can't prove it. There is no smoking gun no matter how hard you look. There are a lot of "loose ends" that point to a conspiracy but you cannot prove it..... so let it DIE.

You still had plenty of opportunities to win that game and it didn't happen.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 11:53 PM
I GUARANTEE you have not seen the competive nature of my business. This is not the spouting of some liberal Austin stereotype. This is somebody that has held season tickets to the horns for the last 10 plus years and lived through the *** whippings you gave us just a few years ago.

Really??!!?! You're someone in the television/film business, where you better not **** up? Are you a trader/broker/armitrage on Wall street? Get real small time. You have NO idea.

I have the Weinstein Brothers breathing down my neck. Yeah, I'll wait til you google who they are....

Octavian
9/20/2006, 11:55 PM
So you are running with conspiracy theories? You should be burning the guy in effigy on the grassy knoll.

Whether it was a conscious descision to give it to the ducks or not......you can't prove it. There is no smoking gun no matter how hard you look. There are a lot of "loose ends" that point to a conspiracy but you cannot prove it..... so let it DIE.

You still had plenty of opportunities to win that game and it didn't happen.

I'm not saying it was a conspiracy by Nike or Phil Knight or the University of Oregon or the Pac10...because I don't know. I'm saying I don't know what happened.

But...I'm also saying it is more likely that something wrong happened than a Portland, Oregon resident being the only single human being on Earth who watched that video and honestly "just missed" that call.

Are you saying the odds are better for the opposite scenario?

Plano UT
9/20/2006, 11:56 PM
Octavian,

That is some funny ****......... after re reading my post about my coach ptch team, you could not have nailed it better (with how that sounded).

My point was that I dislike losing as much as you. I feel for what you guys are going through but I do think it has gone to far. If you look at my posts in the past you will see that I was "rouoting" for ya'll to win this.

I have had more fun with the way the game turned ouot though.

Plano UT
9/20/2006, 11:59 PM
I'm not saying it was a conspiracy by Nike or Phil Knight or the University of Oregon or the Pac10...because I don't know. I'm saying I don't know what happened.

But...I'm also saying it is more likely that something wrong happened than a Portland, Oregon resident being the only single human being on Earth who watched that video and honestly "just missed" that call.

Are you saying the odds are better for the opposite scenario?

I could not agree more. But we will never know that. The odds of Kennedy's head flopping back on the convertible and then forward all from one shooter point to a conspiracy but we will never know.

Treating this guy like the most wanted on the FBI list is ridiculous.

It is still just a football game.

If you win the rest of your games, then I might side with the over reaction that is going on.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/20/2006, 11:59 PM

That's what I've been saying. That's really what it all comes down to. The one person on the face of the planet who saw the one camera angle (that no one else has come forward with, incidentally) that showed us touching the ball first, JUST HAPPENS to be the guy in the replay booth.

What are the chances?

Octavian
9/21/2006, 12:02 AM
Octavian,

That is some funny ****......... after re reading my post about my coach ptch team, you could not have nailed it better (with how that sounded).

My point was that I dislike losing as much as you. I feel for what you guys are going through but I do think it has gone to far. If you look at my posts in the past you will see that I was "rouoting" for ya'll to win this.

I have had more fun with the way the game turned ouot though.

Well I'm sure you have cause you're a filthy whorn but that's okay...we'll get a shot at you in awhile and hopefully we'll get it done.

As for this whole mess going too far...yes, it has.

It's over. Nothing will change what happened.

It just surprises me that so many intelligent people quickly dismiss the notion of foul play from a human man and endorse the idea of how he's the only man on the planet who could look at that replay and come to a different conclusion than the rest of the world.

I'll never get it.

Oh well.

I just hope our coaching staff and our players are doing a better job moving on than our fanbase. <crosses fingers>

TrophyCollector
9/21/2006, 12:03 AM
That's what I've been saying. That's really what it all comes down to. The one person on the face of the planet who saw the one camera angle (that no one else has come forward with, incidentally) that showed us touching the ball first, JUST HAPPENS to be the guy in the replay booth.

What are the chances?

Right on! This was no "blown call", "bad call" or "mistake" and my saying that is not a "conspiracy theory" - it's common ****ing sense.

Octavian
9/21/2006, 12:03 AM
What are the chances?

incredibly poor.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/21/2006, 12:06 AM
Right on! This was no "blown call", "bad call" or "mistake" and my saying that is not a "conspiracy theory" - it's common ****ing sense.

Common to some of us, but not others, obviously.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:06 AM

I think Trophy was "Deep Throat" now I understand the sperm burper comment ealier......

Sorry I couldn't resist.

batonrougesooner
9/21/2006, 12:08 AM
Really??!!?! You're someone in the television/film business, where you better not **** up? Are you a trader/broker/armitrage on Wall street? Get real small time. You have NO idea.

I have the Weinstein Brothers breathing down my neck. Yeah, I'll wait til you google who they are....

I hit the copy/paste and searched Google. Are these guys associated with movies? Wow, heavy stuff.

I don't really like to call out fellow members of this board, but what is your point? I guess you are trying to let us all (not so subtly) know that you have a stessful job that is much more important than calling a football game. So do I as well as most others on this board I would imagine.

I agree that the ref in the booth should be fired. I don't think that about the guys on the field however. If we fired the refs anytime they blew a call, we would soon be out of refs.:D

sooneron
9/21/2006, 12:09 AM
And yet, no reply. I'm so hurt.... :rolleyes:

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:13 AM

You hit one of mine but you don't have to be on Wall Street anymore to have all of the pressure.

Sorry I missed the post.... I usually hate the late response.

sooneron
9/21/2006, 12:13 AM
I hit the copy/paste and searched Google. Are these guys associated with movies? Wow, heavy stuff.

I don't really like to call out fellow members of this board, but what is your point? I guess you are trying to let us all (not so subtly) know that you have a stessful job that is much more important than calling a football game. So do I as well as most others on this board I would imagine.

I agree that the ref in the booth should be fired. I don't think that about the guys on the field however. If we fired the refs anytime they blew a call, we would soon be out of refs.:D
Uh, no Plano mentioned that he was in the pressure cooker job. I called him out as the people that I work with do not take **** ups lightly. He's not a "fellow member" of the board as he's a whorn. My job is not more important than calling a fb game, but there is little margin for error where some people are saying like. "aw cut the nice guy a break". I am saying welcome to the real world.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:16 AM
You hit one of mine but you don't have to be on Wall Street anymore to have all of the pressure.

Sorry I missed the post.... I usually hate the late response.

I was to busy laughing at Octavion's "Kicking and Screaming" post

sooneron
9/21/2006, 12:18 AM
Lemme guess, trader...

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:19 AM
I run a hedge fund

sooneron
9/21/2006, 12:21 AM
Ahhh, I know many of those.

My point is this, since I am not a surgeon, I hold people and how they carry out their jobs, whether they are trash haulers or football officials to the same standard that I hold myself to. If I **** up , there is a good chance, I'm gone.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:23 AM
The point wasn't what any of us do....we deal with real pressure in the real world. We as consumers of college football put these kids and part time employees in our world when they probably shouldn't be.

The guy blew the call and I for one don't think it was a conspiracy. I didn't have anything riding on it.

Ya'll did.

batonrougesooner
9/21/2006, 12:26 AM
The point wasn't what any of us do....we deal with real pressure in the real world. We as consumers of college football put these kids and part time employees in our world when they probably shouldn't be.

The guy blew the call and I for one don't think it was a conspiracy. I didn't have anything riding on it.

Ya'll did.

It really ****es me off when a Texas fan makes my point for me.:texan:

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:28 AM
It really ****es me off when a Texas fan makes my point for me.:texan:

Trust me Rouge, outside of our hatred/semi respect for each other, we are all American Human Beings with more in common than differences.

Which takes me back to my original point in this thread....this guy was a human who f ed up

Blue
9/21/2006, 12:33 AM
Which takes me back to my original point in this thread....this guy was a human who f ed up

I disagree completely. I've seen plenty of bad calls. This was complete Homerism. He knew what he was doing.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/21/2006, 12:36 AM

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so let's get that straight up front--but what is your explanation for the fact that the one person on the face of the planet who saw the one camera angle (that no one else has come forward with, incidentally) that showed us touching the ball first, JUST HAPPENS to be the guy in the replay booth?

What human f up are we talking about here? Poor eyesight? Fatigue? or...what? Any theories? How come he's the only human we know about who f ed up on this?

sooneron
9/21/2006, 12:37 AM
I could care less about the on field refs. One guy had a monitor.

ouwasp
9/21/2006, 12:38 AM
Trust me Rouge, outside of our hatred/semi respect for each other, we are all American Human Beings with more in common than differences.

At least the old idiot had the temerity to take a leave of abscence since the Quack-10 didn't have the balls to fire him. Now what about the rest of the blind fools, including Belotti's classmate?

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:41 AM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so let's get that straight up front--but what is your explanation for the fact that the one person on the face of the planet who saw the one camera angle (that no one else has come forward with, incidentally) that showed us touching the ball first, JUST HAPPENS to be the guy in the replay booth?

What human f up are we talking about here? Poor eyesight? Fatigue? or...what? Any theories? How come he's the only human we know about who f ed up on this?

Before last year, the guy on the field would have made his call (which would have been wrong) and we all would have crucified him. Know that guy is OK because the replay will definitely show him to be wrong. Unfortunately that guy blew the call as well and none of us know why.

Where both refs in cohoots with each other? Where they both at the Cal/Stanford game in '82? Do they both live in Portland and eat dinner at Ruth Chris with Belotti? Did they both have a lifetime of income bet on oregon?

Do we need to install a replay official for the replay official?

Where does it end?

ouwasp
9/21/2006, 12:44 AM
Plano, c'mon.......

You wouldn't have crucified him.

Blue
9/21/2006, 12:45 AM
Before last year, the guy on the field would have made his call (which would have been wrong) and we all would have crucified him. Know that guy is OK because the replay will definitely show him to be wrong. Unfortunately that guy blew the call as well and none of us know why.

Where both refs in cohoots with each other? Where they both at the Cal/Stanford game in '82? Do they both live in Portland and eat dinner at Ruth Chris with Belotti? Did they both have a lifetime of income bet on oregon?

Where does it end?

Dude, seriously, STFU.

There isn't a wormhole, just some Worm.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:46 AM
Plano, c'mon.......

You wouldn't have crucified him.

If this had happened to Texas with our superior team that would have definitely won the National Championship if it hadn't been for this game, I would have...............

Asked for the president of the university to crucify him.

Me, I would have kept my hands clean.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:48 AM
Dude, seriously, STFU.

There isn't a wormhole, just some Worm.

Blue,

Do me a favor and go by The Tavern on the Phipps and order a beer on me. My sister Heather (who runs the joint) will put it on my tab.

Stay off the computer. We are having a debate not a mudslinging contest.

ouwasp
9/21/2006, 12:50 AM
I see.

Well, the OU D will have to perform at a higher level to get anywhere close to championship level.

We will all feel better when the Ducks lose a game. The idea of them advancing to the promised land upon our misfortune is anathema to us.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/21/2006, 12:51 AM

Where does it end?

I'll put that down as a non-answer; thank you for replying, though.

You see, I am a big fan of logic. Logic is great. Logic tells me there must be a reason why (here we go again) the one person on the face of the planet who saw the call the way everyone else didn't was the person in the replay booth.

I want to know that reason. A logical reason. There has to be one.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:52 AM
I see.

Well, the OU D will have to perform at a higher level to get anywhere close to championship level.

We will all feel better when the Ducks lose a game. The idea of them advancing to the promised land upon our misfortune is anathema to us.

Couldn't agree more. This season is still wide open for everybody. Unfortunately one of us will be eliminated from any MNC chance in three weeks.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 12:53 AM
I'll put that down as a non-answer; thank you for replying, though.

You see, I am a big fan of logic. Logic is great. Logic tells me there must be a reason why (here we go again) the one person on the face of the planet who saw the call the way everyone else didn't was the person in the replay booth.

I want to know that reason. A logical reason. There has to be one.

But you aren't going to get one. Call Oliver Stone in 20 years and he will do a movie of it with sooneron producing it.

Blue
9/21/2006, 12:57 AM
Blue,

Do me a favor and go by The Tavern on the Phipps and order a beer on me. My sister Heather (who runs the joint) will put it on my tab.

Heh. If by debating you mean instigating, then I agree.

Octavian
9/21/2006, 12:57 AM
We keep hearing the "it's just a game...get over it" line.

The reason people want us to shut up is because they love the game too...they don't want to think that it's tainted or not on the up-and-up.

Pundits are acting now as if somehow, when entered into the world of athletic competition...humans (officials in this instance) are incapable of foul play.

That's basically the backbone of his defense right now: Gordon Riese is incapable of malevolence in this matter because he's an official. Officials are incapable of such an act b/c if they aren't...our beloved sport doesn't mean as much.

Wouldn't be as pure.

Wouldn't be as good.

Wouldn't mean as much.

So...STFU, Oklahoma.

Nevermind Pete Rose, the 1919 BlackSox, the ice skating fiasco with Olympic officials, steroid use, or any other point-shaving scam by any number of players or officials throughout the decades on any given level of any sport.

The same people who are dying for this story to go away and telling us to "get over it because it's just a game" are the same people who want to believe that people are incorruptable with something they love so much.

You're tellin' me Notre Dame fans, Texas fans, Alabama fans....wouldn't be reacting the same way?

And if it was one them that this happened to....after a few days, we Sooners would probably be saying the same thing they're saying right now:

STFU.

AIR, LAND, WATER
9/21/2006, 12:58 AM
http://www.jcdenton40.com/UABScrewed.wmv

Hmmmmmmmm!!!

rhombic21
9/21/2006, 01:00 AM
http://www.jcdenton40.com/UABScrewed.wmv

Hmmmmmmmm!!!
http://media.putfile.com/Reggie-PR-Knee-down

His knee is clearly down, so please go troll someplace else.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 01:00 AM
SoonerGal,

You want to apply logic to a situation that "should have" logic. But unless we were in this guys shoes watching his video, it is going to be hard.

I am running with the the basic premise that most humans are on the up and up but are still human. I have a hard time trying to lay blame on several humans that screwed this call up as the reason for you guys losing the game.

Sorry this is just BS from a horn who doesn't understand your pain.

Octavian
9/21/2006, 01:01 AM
SoonerGal,

You want to apply logic to a situation that "should have" logic. But unless we were in this guys shoes watching his video, it is going to be hard.

I am running with the the basic premise that most humans are on the up and up but are still human. I have a hard time trying to lay blame on several humans that screwed this call up as the reason for you guys losing the game.

see: post #95

Jewstin
9/21/2006, 01:05 AM

The reason people want us to shut up is because they love the game too...they don't want to think that it's tainted or not on the up-and-up.

Pundits are acting now as if somehow, when entered into the world of athletic competition...humans (officials in this instance) are incapable of foul play.

That's basically the backbone of his defense right now: Gordon Riese is incapable of malevolence in this matter because he's an official. Officials are incapable of such an act b/c if they aren't...our beloved sport doesn't mean as much.

Wouldn't be as pure.

Wouldn't be as good.

Wouldn't mean as much.

So...STFU, Oklahoma.

Nevermind Pete Rose, the 1919 BlackSox, the ice skating fiasco with Olympic officials, steroid use, or any other point-shaving scam by any number of players or officials throughout the decades on any given level of any sport.

The same people who are dying for this story to go away and telling us to "get over it because it's just a game" are the same people who want to believe that people are incorruptable with something they love so much.

You're tellin' me Notre Dame fans, Texas fans, Alabama fans....wouldn't be reacting the same way?

And if it was one them that this happened to....after a few days, we Sooners would probably be saying the same thing they're saying right now:

STFU.

Seconded ... this is the kind of sentiment I've been trying to echo. People don't want to touch this because they know what the implications are. They'd rather stick their head in the ground and keep holding onto something they want to believe is good and pure.

Pandora's box, y'know?

I just want to want to find out what truly happened. My gut tells me this wasn't all peaches 'n cream.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 01:05 AM

Wouldn't be as pure.

Wouldn't be as good.

Wouldn't mean as much.

So...STFU, Oklahoma.

STFU.

Any teams fans would be just as mad. I am not debating the reasons for being mad. YOU GOT SCREWED. I side with that. I am debating the level that it has gotten to. Blue, I am not here to instigate. ONCE again you got SCREWED.

I think it has gone to far. I think the proud SOONER NATION is making a fool of itself at this point. This is why I waited till Wednesday to post anything.

Wait until the end of the year and if you only have 1 lose and get hosed (i.e. Auburn after you lost to K State) then come back and bitch.

Blue,

The beer offer is still good.

Blue
9/21/2006, 01:08 AM
Blue,

The beer offer is still good.

I rarely go to Buckhead, but if I do, I've never been one to turn down a beer.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/21/2006, 01:10 AM
SoonerGal,

I am running with the the basic premise that most humans are on the up and up but are still human.

http://www.ynoteduk8.com/images/hearnospeakno.jpg
is no way to go through life, son.

KingDavid
Blue,

I trust that Heather knows the "tap" from which to poor whenever Blue's order comes in . . .

Blue, I hope you like your beer warm and with a nice head . . .

Plano UT
I rarely go to Buckhead, but if I do, I've never been one to turn down a beer.

If you do, the beer will be the last thing you thank me for (unless you are gay) sorry to instigate.

When my sister is buying the coctail waitress' summer outfits from Victoria Secret, you know it is good.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/21/2006, 01:11 AM
I just want to want to find out what truly happened. My gut tells me this wasn't all peaches 'n cream.

Exactly. I'm over the loss. I've accepted it. I don't expect it to be erased from the record books or forfeited. I just want to know what happened, and I don't think it requires Oliver Stone. :rolleyes:

Blue
9/21/2006, 01:13 AM
If you do, the beer will be the last thing you thank me for (unless you are gay) sorry to instigate.

When my sister is buying the coctail waitress summer outfits from Victoria Secret, you know it is good.

Wha wha where's this place?

Blue
9/21/2006, 01:13 AM
I trust that Heather knows the "tap" from which to poor whenever Blue's order comes in . . .

Blue, I hope you like your beer warm and with a nice head . . .

Heh.

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 01:15 AM
Wha wha where's this place?

Not sure the street ( I was to drunk going back to the hotel) it is at the end of the mall (southside) in Buckhead across the street from the Ritz.

The best looking coctail waitresses with clothes (if you can call it that) on.

The food is damn good as well. I didn't get drunk until after I ate.

KingDavid
9/21/2006, 01:17 AM
SoonerGal,

I think you're absolutely right, man. I agree completely.

You are my kind of guy, Plano UT. In fact, I would like to let you in a sweet real estate deal I have located down here in Austin . . .

Check it out at http://www.arizonaoceanfront.com

If you don't like that, I'm working on another sweetheart and can maybe get you in on it if you can come up with some quick cash:

http://www.brooklynbridge.com

Plano UT
9/21/2006, 01:20 AM
Burton,

Those sound great....get the replay guy to show me some desert property in Oregon and I am all in.

KingDavid
9/21/2006, 01:24 AM
How pathetic is it that he actually has to worry about his safety and the safety of his family over this?

It appears that you actually believe that he received threats. Let's remember that this guy cannot be relied upon to properly review or interpret his own voicemail.;)

SONofa47straitSOONER
9/21/2006, 01:26 AM
Ash, "sperm burper" will be in my next screenplay! Laughed so hard, I had to go to the bathroom and shut the door from waking everyone up.

KingDavid
9/21/2006, 01:27 AM
Burton,

Those sound great....get the replay guy to show me some desert property in Oregon and I am all in.

That's what I'm talking about! Who says that a hand-shake deal is a thing of the past?

Blue
9/21/2006, 01:30 AM
Not sure the street ( I was to drunk going back to the hotel) it is at the end of the mall (southside) in Buckhead across the street from the Ritz.

The best looking coctail waitresses with clothes (if you can call it that) on.

The food is damn good as well. I didn't get drunk until after I ate.

Might have to check it out.

mfosterftw
9/21/2006, 06:53 AM
Burton,

The eastern half of Oregon, in the rain shadow of the Cascades, is a desert (http://www.flickr.com/photos/luckyplanet/sets/1344523/)...

Just type "Oregon desert" into google for plenty of other evidence...

Marc

OUinFLA
9/21/2006, 08:27 AM
So, can I assume that since we are now discussing Boobs, Beer and Geography, we're somewhat passed the "bad call"?

Im ready for some more football.

Blues1
9/21/2006, 08:58 AM
So, can I assume that since we are now discussing Boobs, Beer and Geography, we're somewhat passed the "bad call"?

Im ready for some more football.

NOPE Not ME ----- There's is a Skunk out there and Somebody is going to find it....

This let it all blow over TRICK - Won't work this time - Some Reporter or somebody - some where is gonna Find the Skunk....

You gotta just keep Knockin' & Rockin'.

okienole3
9/21/2006, 09:02 AM
I don't feel sorry for this guy one bit. Now, I think death threats are a little much, but I have no problem with questioning his integrity. First, he tried to cover his *** by saying that he didn't have all of the video that we all saw on TV. Turns out, this is a lie. If he saw what we all saw, then there is no other way to explain it other than he lied. 1000/1000 people could see that onside kick and see that Oregon touched it first. So, you are telling me that the one guy who was supposed to get the call right "messed up" and called it the wrong way. That is complete bull****. It was so obvious that there is no way he just missed the call. There comes a time when the incompetence is so great that it becomes fraud. The only logical explanation is that this clown lied. I am not saying that he got paid off by Nike or Oregon. Maybe he just decided to give it to Oregon because he was afraid to make the call. Well, that is lying and that is cheating.

Grimey
9/21/2006, 09:10 AM
There is a logical way to reconcile Riese's claim's and the ABC/PAC10 statements.
Riese says he saw one frame, a still image. ABC/PAC10 say they had all the video feeds we saw for those 4 minutes. Now the assistant has been dismissed for the year along with Riese. The 'Assistant' is appointed by Oregon University while the Official (Riese) is appointed by the PAC10 itself.

The official makes the call as to what he sees. But... the Replay Assistant is responsible for showing him the feeds (this is directly off of the PAC10's web site when listing the people and responsiblities they have during replay)

So, you can reconcile all of this in this way.
ABC send them the feeds as they do with every other replay. The Assistant didn't produce anything for Riese to see but one frame of video that showed OU touching the ball. Riese, against his better judgement ended up making the call with that one shot.

That would also explain the absurd announcment by the official saying that there is video evidence that "OU touched the ball and thus the ball is LIVE. First Down Oregon"

Everyone is shocked at the unacceptable call. The PAC 10 finds out the truth and over the period of a few days suspends the Oregon assistant and the official himself for the call.

Just my personal theory. And I like it. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/tommie.gif

Is the assistant that pot-smoking hippy looking dude that kept getting screen-time?

Ash
9/21/2006, 09:46 AM
Ash, "sperm burper" will be in my next screenplay! Laughed so hard, I had to go to the bathroom and shut the door from waking everyone up.

You can pay me the royalties as vCash to this account.

Thank you.

;)

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/21/2006, 09:52 AM
So you are running with conspiracy theories? You should be burning the guy in effigy .....

The hell with taking the guy to effigy!!! Burn him right here!!

I keed, I keed

SoonerMom2
9/21/2006, 09:57 AM
Nike U aka UO picked the second replay official according to PAC 10 rules. That lends credence to the fact the second replay official won't be back for a year. The 2nd replay official definitely cheated but according to Dean Blevins last night on Channel 9, there are two feeds into the booth as both replay officials have their OWN equipment to watch. ABC is contradicting the replay officials. Blevins said something about this same group had been suspended for a game last year. This story cannot go away until the TRUTH comes out and we are not there yet.

Loved how Channel 9 had the head ref circled and Blevins reported he was a long time friend of the coach. Coach of Oregon had to know his friend was the head official so Nike U is not going to get off in this one. Unless something is done to take that game off the books at the request of Nike U, then Oregon will forever be known as a place that cheats. Finding out the 2nd replay official was named by Nike U puts a whole different spin on the replay call.