PDA

View Full Version : Why are we punishing Washington?

OUrOUned
9/20/2006, 06:15 PM
They are NOT Oregon...and this event happened IN Oregon...Washington deserves our committment to them and besides I want to play Washington on their turf and make the record against them 2-1.

FaninAma
9/20/2006, 06:25 PM
Washington is in the PAC 10. The PAC 10 is the one who sets the rules that allowed the travesty to happen. The refusal to play Washington is just a form of protest on the way the PAC 10 assigns officials for non-conference games.

sooner13f
9/20/2006, 06:29 PM
It not punishing Washington it is about the PAC10. Two years in a row their refs have had down right BAD calls against us playing in their backyards. The rule is not right and they should be like all other BCS conf, that is that. Besides if that is what Coach Stoops or Ou Admin want to do, then I support them 100%

Vaevictis
9/20/2006, 06:29 PM
I expect it also has to do with the fact that, given the events during the Oregon game, the competence and impartiality of the Pac-10 officials is in question.

Punishing Washington is not the intent. Refusing to play with officials of questionable ability and ethics is.

mrowl
9/20/2006, 06:38 PM
IBTM

OUTrumpet
9/20/2006, 07:21 PM
They belong to the same group of cheating scumbags as some other teams that deserve a quick shot to the crotch.

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2006, 07:44 PM
They belong to the same group of cheating scumbags as some other teams that deserve a quick shot to the crotch.
uh.......we are in the same conference with Texas Tech......

so by your theory..........

Blues1
9/20/2006, 07:48 PM
Next year Gordon will be back -- you want him up in the replay booth....NO Thanks.....Washington is what 3 hours from portland --- He could be there....!

Keep R'

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2006, 07:49 PM
Next year Gordon will be back -- you want him up in the replay booth....NO Thanks.....Washington is what 3 hours from portland --- He could be there....!

Keep R'
Do you honestly think they'd send the same crew?

I'm not saying they wouldn't send horrible officials, but not those horrible officials.

Blues1
9/20/2006, 07:53 PM
Right now I wouldn't trust 'The Pac 10' with my ex wife...which I would give to anyone.....!!!! :D

Octavian
9/20/2006, 08:22 PM
no...they're being punished because they touch the state of Oregon.

we no longer play nor recognize the states of California, Idaho, Nevada, or Washington.

they're "Oregon touchers"

dirty.

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2006, 08:30 PM
nevermind that panhandle thing we share with Texas.

GrapevineSooner
9/20/2006, 10:07 PM
It's nothing personal against Washington.

Just business. ;)

southern sooner
9/20/2006, 10:13 PM
Not personal against Wash, however; we need to continue to make a statement agains pac-10. I have a feeling SEC and Big 10 will also be very careful...

RacerX
9/20/2006, 10:16 PM
OU should honor their contract with UW.

r5TPsooner
9/20/2006, 10:19 PM
I have no problem with OU cancelling its game with UW or any other Quack 10 team for that matter.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:20 PM
I think we can honor the contract by reaching an agreement with an officiating staff from elsewhere or shared.

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2006, 10:20 PM
Why not schedule UNLV?

It's legal to get screwed there isn't it?

r5TPsooner
9/20/2006, 10:21 PM
Why not schedule UNLV?

It's legal to get screwed there isn't it?

Totally legal and $50 in Vegas will get you things you can only dream of with your wife.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:27 PM
Totally legal and $50 in Vegas will get you things you can only dream of with your wife.
Yeah, but 2 on 1 will cost you double Cotton!

TopDawg
9/20/2006, 11:31 PM
Wouldn't playing them be even worse punishment? We're letting them off the hook.

GrapevineSooner
9/20/2006, 11:36 PM
I say play them.

But don't negotiate any more deals with any Pac-10 teams until the conference drops it's ridiculous rule.

TopDawg
9/21/2006, 12:08 AM
I say we work out a deal to use Big XII refs and still play them. Then, we work out a deal with the Big XII refs to make a bad call on every play of the game.

Kickoff
We kick the ball to the Huskies, their guy is forced out of bounds at the 25. Officials rule it a fumble, recovered by OU, first and 10 OU from the Washington 25.

Oh, and fumble recoveries are now worth 8 points.

OU - 8
Washington - 0

First Down
We run the ball and are tackled for a 3 yard gain. Officials rule pass interference, half the distance to the goal, first down!

Oh, and now pass interference is a 10 point penalty against the team who committed it.

Oklahoma - 8
Washington - (-10)

First Down
Our quarterback takes a knee. Officials rule TOUCHDOWN, OKLAHOMA! Extra point is good without trying.

Oklahoma - 15
Washington (-21) (Officials give Washington an eleven point penalty for charging too much for drinks at the concession stand.)

etc., etc., etc.

Ike
9/21/2006, 12:15 AM
I say we get em to change the rule, let the big 12 appoint the ref crew, and then get the big 12 to delegate ref selection to Vince McMahon. We can script the whole game such that a tie is broken at the last second on a kickoff return that involves 4 fumbles and changes of possesion...and a steel chair.

and we'll need ropes around the field.

SoonerGOP
9/21/2006, 12:18 AM
It's easy:

Washington = blue state
Oregon = blue state

Texas = red state
Oklahoma = red state

We don't mind playing Tech because they are Red State people. We mind playing Washington because they are Blue State people. We would rather play with red balls than blue balls...

ouwasp
9/21/2006, 12:25 AM
What Sooner GOP said and more...

* Cause the Pac-10 angst
* Play a gimme win, like most other powers do
* As a result of the above, don't have to read the tripe from Sittler, etc about"The last time OU came to the Left Coast..."
* Schedule a home game, help the OK economy. No reason to aid the leftists
* Actions speak louder than words

sooneron
9/21/2006, 12:26 AM
Take it to the SO for this crap.

Vaevictis
9/21/2006, 12:57 AM
OU should honor their contract with UW.

You can honor such a contract without playing them. My understanding is that all of them have "buyout" clauses.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/21/2006, 10:34 AM
They are NOT Oregon...and this event happened IN Oregon...Washington deserves our committment to them and besides I want to play Washington on their turf and make the record against them 2-1.

They are part of the SUC-10. If the SUC-10 doesn't change its rule, then I think we should drop the game. Sucks for Washington, but if your conference won't do the right thinng, then you get punished as well. The rules are designed to support the SUC-10 teams and to ensure SUC-10 victories. Not my words, but the words of former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez...

UNSeeN_
9/21/2006, 10:49 AM
Unless the Piece of A$$ Crap 10 changes their policies, I don't trust the officiating and fully support not playing Washington. Even though Gordon is on leave the rest of the season, he'll be back next year. I might be open to it if the Sooners have a committee of fans with chains and bats in the review booth to make sure we get a fair shake.

AlabamaSooner
9/21/2006, 12:04 PM
I highly doubt we will end up canceling our game with Washington...for two reasons. I think we're doing this just to prove a point and actually MAKE some changes...also, because I believe the Pac-10 will be forced to MAKE those changes now.

arlington
9/21/2006, 10:19 PM
On my sons middle school team, if 1 guy gets a penalty they ALL run the next day for it..Washington may have to pay the price for the incompetence of there conference officiating.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/21/2006, 10:28 PM
The Vince McMahon thing is a great idea. Plus you could have a heel turn. Like Garrett Hartley is fixing to kick the game winning field goal and he runs up and kicks the holder in the junk....picks up the ball runs it back for a TD for Oregon and as he scores he tears away his uniform to reveal the Purple Washington Uniform, and J.R. is up in the booth, going "BY GAWD GARRETT DON'T DO IT...YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH YOURSELF" :P

Soonerdaddy
9/21/2006, 10:29 PM
We aren't punising Washington, we are only whining. Big Joe C. said to cool down in the paper. He is the one that negotiates the deals, isn't he?

picasso
9/21/2006, 10:32 PM
what about Warshington? we still playin thim?

Octavian
9/21/2006, 10:32 PM
Why are we punishing Washington?

Why aren't we having this conversation in the earlier thread w/ the poll about whether or not we should play Washington?

Soonerdaddy
9/21/2006, 10:34 PM
We have to play them, we have a contract.

GregJackP
9/21/2006, 10:44 PM
Contracts are made to be broken.

I don't see going back to the PAC-10 under the current officiating conditions.

Soonerdaddy
9/21/2006, 10:49 PM
OU would not break a contract, but maybe try to re-negotiate. But Washington already came here. They swam halfway across the river, we can't yell kings X to them now.

Readyfor8
9/21/2006, 10:53 PM
There is always a buyout in a contract, we don't have to play them if we don't want to. Besides I am sure that the past game would violate good faith that the game would be officiated fairly and we could break the contract on that clause.

OU has good lawyers we could get out of it if we want to. Now do we want to is the question. 2008 is a long way away.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2006, 10:58 PM
do we give them another chance to screw us and then say we re not coming back