PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to traffic courtesy?

tbl
9/20/2006, 03:52 PM
Am I the only person alive that still gives oncoming traffic the "bright lights flick" when I see a cop setting up a speed trap for them? What was once a common courtesy (especially growing up in Oklahoma) has now become virtually non-existent. We need to bring back the flick. I try my best to perpetuate the cycle, but I need your help. Bring back the flick

sooner n houston
9/20/2006, 04:03 PM
Most of the younguns on here probably don't know what that means! A few truck drivers still appreciate it. Most cars don't have a clue.
And by the way, it really means danger ahead, slow down. It can be used for any abnormal situation, as a warning that something dangerous is ahead.

The
9/20/2006, 04:06 PM
You shouldn't be speeding.
Not only is it dangerous, it's against the law!

the more you know...
ding, ding da ding...

IB4OU2
What if he or they were setting up a trap/roadblock to catch an escaped murderer or rapist and your little light flash trick tipped the thug off?

tbl
Exactly. Slow down, or you'll be in danger of getting a fat ticket. That's the only dangerous thing I've ever had to warn people about.

I have actually used it when the interstate was shut down going the other way. I was flashing and waving people to exit/turn around, but they kept right on going.

Mjcpr
9/20/2006, 04:08 PM
I have actually used it when the interstate was shut down going the other way. I was flashing and waving people to exit/turn around, but they kept right on going.

How does he know where we're going?

Yeah, how does he know? Thanks.....thanks a lot!

Viking Kitten
9/20/2006, 04:08 PM
The flick has probably saved me from a few speeding tickets, but somebody flicking me the night I plowed into a horse on an unlit road slowed me from 60 to about 30, and probably saved my children's and my life.

And it wierds me out that that person who flicked has no idea.

tbl
9/20/2006, 04:11 PM
What if he or they were setting up a trap/roadblock to catch an escaped murderer or rapist and your little light flash trick tipped the thug off?
Right.... because that happens all the time. :rolleyes: I'm not talking about a roadblock. Matter of fact I've never seen a roadblock. I'm talking about a cop sitting there with a speed gun clocking people to give them tickets.

I'm not a big speeder, but I also think it's fair to give people a heads up. There are roads that the speed limit is way slower than it should be, and most people go faster than the posted sign. Those are typically the area's they set them up. Today there was a cop busting people on this road that is 4 lanes with no traffic lights, no businesses, and no residents, and the speed limit is 45. Everybody goes at least 55...

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 04:12 PM
It also means "turn on your headlights", but apparently nobody in Oklahoma knows that. Which is a real shame because this is the only state where people turn on just their parking lights at dusk...and then frequently forget to turn on the headlights when it gets darker.

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 04:14 PM
The flick has probably saved me from a few speeding tickets, but somebody flicking me the night I plowed into a horse on an unlit road slowed me from 60 to about 30, and probably saved my children's and my life.

You were going 30 MPH over the speed limit? :eek:

Viking Kitten
9/20/2006, 04:19 PM
You were going 30 MPH over the speed limit? :eek:

Nah, it was in a 50 zone and I'll admit to a bit of a lead foot. When I saw the flicking, I just had this wierd, gut instinct that something was afoot and I should really slow the f*** down. I was actually still braking on impact.

IB4OU2
9/20/2006, 04:19 PM
Right.... because that happens all the time. :rolleyes: I'm not talking about a roadblock. Matter of fact I've never seen a roadblock. I'm talking about a cop sitting there with a speed gun clocking people to give them tickets.

I'm not a big speeder, but I also think it's fair to give people a heads up. There are roads that the speed limit is way slower than it should be, and most people go faster than the posted sign. Those are typically the area's they set them up. Today there was a cop busting people on this road that is 4 lanes with no traffic lights, no businesses, and no residents, and the speed limit is 45. Everybody goes at least 55...

:rolleyes: It does n00bette and I have a good friend that got a ticket for that very reason. Follow the speed limit......there's a reason for it. I'm old and you young kids drive WAY too fast....;) :D

tbl
9/20/2006, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes: It does n00bette and I have a good friend that got a ticket for that very reason.
What are you saying here? I am warning murderers and rapists and your friend got a ticket for giving the flick?

Also, what does one have to do to get out of noob status? I am interested that after years of not being referred to as that, I've now changed genders... :confused:

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 04:26 PM
Also, what does one have to do to get out of noob status?

Get to 15,000 posts. :texan:

tbl
9/20/2006, 04:27 PM
Apparently 6,000 would do the trick.

IB4OU2
9/20/2006, 04:29 PM
I'm saying you can get a ticket for flashing your lights and to SLOW down.......

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 04:29 PM
Apparently 6,000 would do the trick.

Who told you that? Some noob like IB4OU2?

:D

IB4OU2
9/20/2006, 04:31 PM
Who told you that? Some noob like IB4OU2?

:D

I'm an old n00b......thankyyou very much. :D

Pricetag
9/20/2006, 04:33 PM
I would do the flick, but I'm afraid of getting chased down and shot by gang members.

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 04:37 PM
I would do the flick, but I'm afraid of getting chased down and shot by gang members.

I would be too if I lived in Tulsa.

:pop:

Pricetag
9/20/2006, 04:40 PM
I would be too if I lived in Tulsa.

:pop:
Hey, gangs are an unfortunate part of being a big time city. You guys wouldn't know. :D

tbl
9/20/2006, 04:49 PM
That's true. I got an email that says so...

PhilTLL
9/20/2006, 05:34 PM
I always assumed the cops could then bust you for "intentionally warning of police presence" or something. But, I'm kinda paranoid.

oklaclarinet
9/20/2006, 05:57 PM
I actually do know of someone who has been given a ticket for signaling to warn other cars about a speed trap.

Hatfield
9/20/2006, 06:34 PM
flick it or someone's getting a ticket

trwxxa
9/20/2006, 07:57 PM
Am I the only person alive that still gives oncoming traffic the "bright lights flick" when I see a cop setting up a speed trap for them? What was once a common courtesy (especially growing up in Oklahoma) has now become virtually non-existent. We need to bring back the flick. I try my best to perpetuate the cycle, but I need your help. Bring back the flick

The problem is people are too busy yakkin' on their cell phones to notice they passed a cop.

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2006, 08:17 PM
I thought "flicking" was booger related.

olevetonahill
9/20/2006, 08:20 PM
LMFAO
thats what i was gonna say .
But the flicking of the lights Are not just to warn of cops but as VK said , horses , cows etc on the road

proud gonzo
9/20/2006, 09:58 PM
sometimes I think it's also to tell people "HEY ***! You have your ****ing brights on and you're blinding everybody!"

sanantoniosooner
9/20/2006, 09:59 PM
there are various reasons for ladies to flash highbeams

MamaMia
9/20/2006, 10:40 PM
My rowdy attorney sister in law who doesn't like copolas, as she calls them, gave 'the flick' to about 3 or 4 trucks while we were on a desolate highway between Woodward and Granite. Well, I think one of the trucks warned all the others via CB radio and must have told which car gave him the courtesy flick, because before you know it, we were being tail gated by a highway patrolman for about 25 miles. Thank you Mr. Big Mouth Trucker!

RacerX
9/21/2006, 06:47 AM
Like somebody has more than a million posts.

Geez.

BoogercountySooner
9/21/2006, 07:13 AM

We talkin about IB?:D

crawfish
9/21/2006, 07:21 AM
Traffic courtesy is just a myth. The first guy to own a car invented a horn the day after the second guy bought one.