PDA

View Full Version : Is it still to early to start talking OU/Texas?

soonervegas
9/20/2006, 12:03 PM
I think we have a pretty good idea as to where we stand through three games. If the D does not make siginificant improvement and quick it is my opinion OU has 0% chance of walking out of the Cotton Bowl with a victory. Hopefully, the off week will give us some time to fix some defensive issues. I think we will need to hold Texas to under 17 points (20 max) to pull out a victory.

Thoughts?

David Earl
9/20/2006, 12:13 PM
I still have hope there's a good defense lurking around in there somewhere. BV seems very frustrated in his comments. We know he's aware. Maybe he can pull them together, I don't know...

BIG_IKE
9/20/2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah it's hard to say...
I am not particularly looking forward to it just yet..HOPEFULLY these next two weekends will do us some good. I imagine the players will be pumped for the game. But if the same team that I have seen show up the last 3 weeks is there..I dont know how we can win. But hey, We are the SOONERS! The plaers and coaches know how crucial this is..and I think they will come through for us. If we don't, those stinkin bonghorns have a chance of sneakin into some stuff that I dont want them playin in.

soonerinabilene
9/20/2006, 12:24 PM
the bye week definitely is going to help them get mentally and physically prepared for this game. i would have to think that its to a point now where stoops is going to do a lot of defensive coaching and scheming during the off-week.

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 12:24 PM
:les: It's No Whorn Tuesday!

EDIT: Never mind, today is Wednesday. :O

caphorns
9/20/2006, 12:45 PM
We pretty much have a bye as well with SHSU the week before.

I have no idea what to expect of this game. Your D has looked horrible, but against quality competition, so has ours. Your offense looks more competant than ours right now but not by leaps and bounds. PT is inconsistent. Meanwhile, McCoy et al do not appear comfortable in the red zone. We may see a bit more of the identity of the UT squad against ISU. If this team is as good as the pollsters think, we should dominate ISU and I'll feel more comfortable about Dallas. Right now, I can't gloat over the 2 cupcake wins.

GDC
9/20/2006, 12:46 PM
Who cares?

OU rethinks UW matchup
By JOHN HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/20/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

NORMAN -- If the Pac-10 Conference doesn't change its policy of using its own referees for home nonconference games -- as OU president David Boren suggested Monday in a letter to the Big 12 -- then OU might cancel its 2008 game scheduled at Washington.

"I think there's no question that (athletic director) Joe Castiglione and I or President Boren will, if that rule is not changed, that we may reconsider that game," coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday. "I think it's justified that we look into that, and that may change."

The Sooners played UW in Norman on Sept. 9, and are contracted to return the game in two years. Castiglione declined comment on the possibility of canceling the game.

"I know it's the heat of the moment, and while people want answers to those kinds of questions in the heat of the moment, decisions like those are better made when people can be more rational," Castiglione said during an interview prior to Stoops' comments. "Keep in mind, the University of Washington didn't do anything wrong here."

The Pac-10 has a policy that all nonconference home games be officiated by Pac-10 crews.

"They're the only conference in America that has the ruling that only Pac-10

officials can officiate on Pac-10 fields," Stoops said. "We had two turnovers taken away from us last year at UCLA, as well. And then this situation, I think it's pretty obvious to everybody.

"Whether we go up there with that rule in place, I don't know that we would agree to that. I think that's something that Joe Castiglione should truly look into. I feel strongly about that."

bixby28
9/20/2006, 01:06 PM
I don't know what to expect when OU goes to Dallas. Even though Paul Thompson hasn't been Jason White, he's definitely not the reason OU is struggling. The real concern about the TExas/OU game with myself is the battle over the line of scrimmage. If the OU Dline doesn't start playing like they are capable of, OU will have a tough time winning in Dallas. The Whorns Oline has been solid...

Boomer Sooner

footballfanatic
9/20/2006, 02:15 PM
Hard to say. My prediction of both schools being down this year is, sadly, coming true. I think we were both somewhat overrated. Here's a thought--combine the teams. We'd have a great offense with our o-line and AD.

Seriously, if Greg Davis plays conservative, OU wins. If he opens it up, Texas has a chance.

Herr Scholz
9/20/2006, 02:30 PM
Who cares?
I think you're in the wrong thread, gdc. Here's the Washington thread:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78515

sooneron
9/20/2006, 02:35 PM
I give UTerus a slightly better edge than before. I say they have a 70% chance. However, I did predict at the beginning of the season that we would lose to uo (i know, we didn't, but...) and go on to surprise the whorns. I still think that can happen. If the Oline continues to gel, we will be salty on O. :mack: no longer has radio to bail he and greggie out. Before the season, I think a whorn and I agreed that the first team to 17 or 20 wins, I'm now thinking that number may be 35, ala 2002!

GDC
9/20/2006, 02:37 PM
Bellotti's comments
By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
9/20/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

During Tuesday's Pac-10 coaches' teleconference, Oregon's Mike Bellotti spoke with reporters about his team's controversial victory over Oklahoma:

Bellotti's opening statement:

"I've spoken to Bob Stoops. I empathize with Coach Stoops and the Oklahoma football program about the game. One official's errors affect the outcome of the game -- it's not good for either team, and I can certainly understand their frustration. In 34 years of coaching college football, this is the first time I've ever been in this situation. The football takes funny bounces. Instant replay was designed to remedy any questions about that. It was implemented and designed to do that. It did not in this case, I guess, get it right. I feel very fortunate for us to have won the football game. Not fortunate for officials' errors, but for the way our team played. We were lucky. We made plays. We never gave up. . . . We're not gloating at all. We respect the University of Oklahoma and their coaching staff. We as the Pac-10 Conference are trying to get it right."

Do the officiating mistakes take focus away from Oregon's late comeback?

"It's unfortunate for both teams. We would like to be able to

appreciate what we accomplished and what our players did. I think, obviously, it's taken a little tarnish to it. . . . It's unfortunate that there were errors made. It's difficult for the Oklahoma team, and it's difficult for Oregon. I think that was certainly one of the most exciting and tremendous comebacks. But again, there's questions about whether it would have happened. There's not questions about what our players did in terms of scoring touchdowns (and) blocking the field goal at the end of the game, which was an unbelievable play. I'm as proud of that play, that effort, as anything I've seen in coaching in my entire career."

If somebody mentions Saturday's officiating, would you mention the Colorado-Missouri Fifth Down game? Errors happen at times.

"We've lost Pac-10 games and bowl games where there have been acknowledged official errors that (affected scoring plays). It's unfortunate. But in this day and age, with national championships and BCS games, I understand everybody's concern."

How should poll voters view this loss for OU?

"I vote, also. You have to make that determination. We've basically run the NCAA and college football on that the game stands as the game ends. I don't know if that's fair or not, but I can't give you any advice on that."

More from Bellotti on college football's current replay system:

"I don't know what physical tools the replay people have in the booth. I don't know what angles they're able to see. I know from our films -- our game films, which is all I saw until (Monday) -- I could not tell a thing. I'm not being coy about it. I really couldn't. I believe that all of the replay officials -- every official -- (are) basically honest. I think if they make a mistake, it's because they don't see it or can't see it.".

soonerlaw
9/20/2006, 02:53 PM
Its never too early to talk about the RRS. In fact, I just got my tickets today! This will be my first time going as I have never really had the chance to get (affordable) tickets before... except my first year of law school when John Blake was coaching. I am PUMPED!

snp
9/20/2006, 03:13 PM
I started talking about this weekend last year's RRS.

Never too early to start talking about the greatest weekend in the world.

OklahomaRed
9/20/2006, 03:17 PM
I am in it up to my neck. I am confident the Sooners will win. I've made a bet with one of the U.T. grads that works for me that if they win, I will wear some burnt orange on dress down Friday. If O.U. wins, then he has to wear some Crimson & Cream. Definitions? The other picks out the shirt (must meet company dress code policy - so that protects the other a little bit), and it has to be worn all day (8 hours) at work. I would not have made this bet if I were not confident that O.U. is going to win.

Boomer-Sooner !

Herr Scholz
9/20/2006, 03:34 PM
I would not have made this bet if I were not confident that O.U. is going to win.
I would hope not. That would be a pretty dumb bet if you thought UT was going to win. ;)

GDC
9/20/2006, 03:38 PM
I would hope not. That would be a pretty dumb bet if you thought UT was going to win. ;)

That depends on the point spread.

Blitzkrieg
9/20/2006, 03:56 PM
AD needs to watch Larry Johnson for the KC Chiefs play ball. Dude hits the hole whether it's there or not, drives the pile forward. The KC offense is horrendous, but he's a stud.

That is what can win the Texas game for us. We were gashing holes in UO off tackle, much to my surprise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8m76nXZFNI

This won't happen against Texas, at least not early, and we cannot have 3rd and 13 in our end of the field. Hammer them up the middle, get 2.5 yards when that's all there is, and set up 3rd and 5. After softening them up, we can then start running the other stuff. We can shorten the game, use our fantastic special teams and win the game with ball control and ball security.

PT did great with no ints, I hope that trend continues. Thank you Coach Heupel.

footballfanatic
9/20/2006, 05:04 PM
AD needs to watch Larry Johnson for the KC Chiefs play ball. Dude hits the hole whether it's there or not, drives the pile forward. The KC offense is horrendous, but he's a stud.

That is what can win the Texas game for us. We were gashing holes in UO off tackle, much to my surprise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8m76nXZFNI

This won't happen against Texas, at least not early, and we cannot have 3rd and 13 in our end of the field. Hammer them up the middle, get 2.5 yards when that's all there is, and set up 3rd and 5. After softening them up, we can then start running the other stuff. We can shorten the game, use our fantastic special teams and win the game with ball control and ball security.

PT did great with no ints, I hope that trend continues. Thank you Coach Heupel.

Your fantastic special teams let the winning kick be blocked.

Octavian
9/20/2006, 05:14 PM

Our fantastic special teams also recovered the onside kick...

As for the kick-that-shouldn't-have-been-needed...it was setup by an outstanding special teams play.

As for the block...they made a good play...it happens.

So far, the special teams have been a vast improvement.

Besides, if it comes down to your kicker making a game winning field goal for you....ya better hope you snap it inside the red zone.

A drunken fat girl w/ her helmet on backwards could've got the ball closer than his crucial 2nd half attempt against tOSU.

Pricetag
9/20/2006, 05:16 PM
I don't know what to expect when OU goes to Dallas. Even though Paul Thompson hasn't been Jason White, he's definitely not the reason OU is struggling. The real concern about the TExas/OU game with myself is the battle over the line of scrimmage. If the OU Dline doesn't start playing like they are capable of, OU will have a tough time winning in Dallas. The Whorns Oline has been solid...

Boomer Sooner
I think you meant OU/Texas game there.

proudsoonergal
9/20/2006, 05:20 PM
We pretty much have a bye as well with SHSU the week before.

I have no idea what to expect of this game. Your D has looked horrible, but against quality competition, so has ours. Your offense looks more competant than ours right now but not by leaps and bounds. PT is inconsistent. Meanwhile, McCoy et al do not appear comfortable in the red zone. We may see a bit more of the identity of the UT squad against ISU. If this team is as good as the pollsters think, we should dominate ISU and I'll feel more comfortable about Dallas. Right now, I can't gloat over the 2 cupcake wins.

That would be a first for a horn.

soonerinabilene
9/20/2006, 06:26 PM
Larry Johnson needs to watch AD run the ball.

fixed

footballfanatic
9/20/2006, 06:50 PM
Our fantastic special teams also recovered the onside kick...

As for the kick-that-shouldn't-have-been-needed...it was setup by an outstanding special teams play.

As for the block...they made a good play...it happens.

So far, the special teams have been a vast improvement.

Besides, if it comes down to your kicker making a game winning field goal for you....ya better hope you snap it inside the red zone.

A drunken fat girl w/ her helmet on backwards could've got the ball closer than his crucial 2nd half attempt against tOSU.

I wasn't disparaging the fine abilities of your special teams. Well, not too much.
But they DID allow the crucial field goal attempt to be blocked. If that's a big imporvement, I would hate to see last year's team.
And yes, our kicker's attempt was poor, to say the least. Don't be too hard on drunken fat girls. They've made countless men happy over hundreds of years.

bixby28
9/20/2006, 09:35 PM
Hard to say. My prediction of both schools being down this year is, sadly, coming true. I think we were both somewhat overrated. Here's a thought--combine the teams. We'd have a great offense with our o-line and AD.

Seriously, if Greg Davis plays conservative, OU wins. If he opens it up, Texas has a chance.

Did mention our OLine as a strength in this situation??:confused:

OU and the Univ. of Texas will never unite... not possible!!

washington's fave
9/20/2006, 10:37 PM
OU has a very good chance of winning in the Cotton Bowl. Remember VY is in the NFL and will not be playing this year. Saxet has proven they can't cover a fast WR without after-burner smoke encircling their corners. I'm not saying it will be easy or saxet will be blown out, but what have they proven this year against quality competition (OSU being the only quality they have seen). OU has proven they can play with a team that has a high scoring offense (should have won except for bad officiating). Stoops has owned saxet and all their talent every year except his first and the year of the STUD VY. Until Maccy can prove otherwise I don't believe the tables have turned. OU's offense has gotten better and better (better than I thought they would be). I know the D-line has not played up to their billing but neither has s'saxet. S'saxet O-line has proven that they couldn't move an OSU D-line that had - just the year before - lost a lot of talent to the NFL. Remember Maccy B. is still TU's head coach and he doesn't have VY to save his *** this year. OU WILL WIN - probably in a high scoring affair, but rest assured Maccy will at some crucial point in the game - cost TU the game. Maccy will do this with either a bad play call - which he has asked for, or with a QB yank-and-change, or on a play call that he has issued that over-rides all his other coaches advice.

And yes, I did use TU as a way to aggitate the shorthorns into frothing at the mouths until the TAM crew could artificially inseminate the queer steers CUT-OFF se*en into a heifer that could improove their BAD and INFERTILE stock.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry fat ***, how many fg's had Hartley missed til that point?

caphorns
9/21/2006, 09:29 AM
fanatic - I'd hold off on criticizing kicking games. I'm pretty sure OU can block those line drives GJ has been cranking out all too regularly. That and we may just have wasted 2 schollies on kickers over the last 2 years. I'm starting to think we should look to our women's soccer team for kicking talent.

psg - you are right to a large degree, but there are a few of us - Longhorns with perspective. In fact, at least half of the Orangebloods crowd is skeptical about the offense to this point since we've only faced one real test (and blew it pretty miserably). I have not lowered my expectations for this team, but they have a TON to prove starting this week and continuing at the RRS.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 09:45 AM
I'm starting to think we should look to our women's soccer team for kicking talent.

Whoa! That's pretty rough... and funny.

Herr Scholz
9/21/2006, 09:47 AM
About OU's special teams, didn't Hartley also kick the ball out of bounds at the end of the game on a crucial kickoff?

Concerning UT's DBs being smoked by good receivers, Tarell Brown and a healthy Marcus Griffin being back on Oct. 7th will make our secondary better than it was vs. tOSU. Losing T. Brown hurt us more than we wanted to realize. He's fast and physical. We're a little inexperienced with our backups Foster and Palmer.

GDC
9/21/2006, 09:52 AM
About OU's special teams, didn't Hartley also kick the ball out of bounds at the end of the game on a crucial kickoff?

Go back and look at the Tivo instead of bringing it up around here.

Mods, can we have open season on the whorns that come here leading up to OU/Texas?

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2006, 09:53 AM
OU has a very good chance of winning in the Cotton Bowl. Remember VY is in the NFL and will not be playing this year. Saxet has proven they can't cover a fast WR without after-burner smoke encircling their corners. I'm not saying it will be easy or saxet will be blown out, but what have they proven this year against quality competition (OSU being the only quality they have seen). OU has proven they can play with a team that has a high scoring offense (should have won except for bad officiating). Stoops has owned saxet and all their talent every year except his first and the year of the STUD VY. Until Maccy can prove otherwise I don't believe the tables have turned. OU's offense has gotten better and better (better than I thought they would be). I know the D-line has not played up to their billing but neither has s'saxet. S'saxet O-line has proven that they couldn't move an OSU D-line that had - just the year before - lost a lot of talent to the NFL. Remember Maccy B. is still TU's head coach and he doesn't have VY to save his *** this year. OU WILL WIN - probably in a high scoring affair, but rest assured Maccy will at some crucial point in the game - cost TU the game. Maccy will do this with either a bad play call - which he has asked for, or with a QB yank-and-change, or on a play call that he has issued that over-rides all his other coaches advice.

And yes, I did use TU as a way to aggitate the shorthorns into frothing at the mouths until the TAM crew could artificially inseminate the queer steers CUT-OFF se*en into a heifer that could improove their BAD and INFERTILE stock.

Wow.. that's almost unreadable due to multiple uses of gibberish.

As for defenses.. where is OU ranked? oh... 97th overall.

Now. .that high scoring offense that OU ran up against? Was that UAB.. or was that Washington? Or..was that the team that is probably only the 4th best in the Pac 10... The Oregon Striped Shirts?

As for the Ohio State game, the returning starters for OSU were the two interior tackles.. and Texas ran the ball successfully against OSU.

Finally, OU's offense last year and the year before were arguably better than this year's OU's offense... both teams only scored 12 on Texas. Don't look for a high scoring game this year.

In fact, this year's game may only have a total of 2 passes thrown the entire game as both teams grind it ou. If the Over/Under is 30.. take the under.

As for coaching, you don't have Mike Stoops, you have Brent Vulnerable and you have a new OC. I like that.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 09:55 AM
Mods, can we have open season on the whorns that come here leading up to OU/Texas?

Shut up about it.

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2006, 09:56 AM
Go back and look at the Tivo instead of bringing it up around here.

I'm up for that... IF we can reciprocate. :D

GDC
9/21/2006, 10:01 AM
Shut up about it.

Nice.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 10:04 AM
Nice.

I'm telling you man, mods are feeling pretty overworked and sensitive right now. You need to pipe down about your complaints. Capice?

GDC
9/21/2006, 10:08 AM

Scratch that I guess.

The Maestro
9/21/2006, 10:09 AM
I'm still not completely sold on the Texas O-line. I can't decide if they are so great or if VY was just good at taking off when he saw a chance. He made them look better than they were, but they could be really strong.

Our key? It remains as it has all year. Wrap up and tackle. See last year's RRS as well when Latimer had Charles for a two yard gain, lost him and Charles was gone. OU also can't get beat deep which shouldn't be a problem with McCoy making his first RRS start.

On offense, we typically have a new wrinkle for the RRS. I hope we find a way to let Adrian have another special day in this game as he did as a freshman. 200 against Texas and taking the Heisman from him is going to be hard. Our offense scored 27 points in a half on the road last week in a hostile environment...and we actually should have scored about 10 more. I think the Texas D isn't as strong as last year...as I predicted...due to losing playmakers like Huff and Wright.

The game will probably come down to which team makes the big plays. It will come down to about five or six plays that will decide the outcome.

GDC
9/21/2006, 10:10 AM
I'm telling you man, mods are feeling pretty overworked and sensitive right now. You need to pipe down about your complaints. Capice?

It was actually a legitimate question, not a complaint, and it wasn't just for me, and the whorns are even in agreement. Seems like this would help put the Oregon thing to rest in our minds as well.

The Maestro
9/21/2006, 10:13 AM
Or..was that the team that is probably only the 4th best in the Pac 10... The Oregon Striped Shirts?

Texas would lose without officials helping at Oregon right now. Hell, Northern Illinois' offense looked better at Ohio State than yours did against the Buckeyes in Austin.

Oregon is a good team. They will finish second again in the Pac 10. They did last year and they are a better team this year.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/21/2006, 10:15 AM
It is not like tex-*** has a good offense though and tOSU ran all over the field on their defense. I think we can win, even with a bad defensive showing.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 10:16 AM
We're a little inexperienced with our backups Foster and Palmer.

I agree that T. Brown is critical to this secondary, but I'd say we looked both inexperienced and sucky with Foster and Palmer - even against lowly Rice. We have no real depth at corner and it's not just an experience issue. Luckily, we share this problem with the Sooners.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 10:17 AM
It is not like tex-*** has a good offense though and tOSU THREW all over the field on their defense. I think we can win, even with a bad defensive showing.

Fixed. Nobody has established a running game against our front 7 to this point, not even OSU with their 2 5-star RBs.

Herr Scholz
9/21/2006, 10:23 AM
Yes, thus far, UT has shown to be pretty salty against the run. Should be some fireworks when Peterson slams into the line. If PT can get some rhythm with Kelly and Iglesias, you might better exploit us there.

If UT can't get a passing game going, should be a very low scoring game.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 10:30 AM
It was actually a legitimate question, not a complaint, and it wasn't just for me, and the whorns are even in agreement. Seems like this would help put the Oregon thing to rest in our minds as well.

No it was not a legitimate question. It was a suggestion that "we have open season on the whorns that come here leading up to OU/Texas" and I'm telling you to hush about it.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 10:42 AM

You shut up too.

soonermagicgirl
9/21/2006, 11:32 AM
If OU will start using Finley more then we got a big chance of winning.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 11:37 AM
If OU will start using Finley more then we got a big chance of winning.

If UT will start using Finley more then you have a big chance of losing.

TexasLidig8r
9/21/2006, 11:55 AM
You shut up too.

http://oneyearbible.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/hear_see_speak_no_evil_hg_wht.gif

Octavian
9/21/2006, 12:13 PM
Positives:

Our OL isn't the pushover they were hoping it would be in the summer. We're not stacked w/ All-Americans...but we're good enough to allow Adrian to make plays. And Adrian will make plays.

Our passing game is fine. We just have to do it much earlier and keep them on their heels for four quarters instead of two.

The '06 Texas team is committing more penalties than a Mack team usually does...for some reason, they've lacked discipline to this point.

Reggie Smith. He's had 5 or 6 kick returns this year where he's been one man away from hitting paydirt...it's only a matter of time. Even if he doesn't score...he'll set us up w/ excellent field position at least once.

Their secondary is still unproven and our receivers are getting into a groove...I know they didn't have T. Brown against Ohio St. but they had everyone else....there were Buckeye receivers running free all night long. If Paul has time...he'll find Kelley and Co. for big plays.

Negatives:

We're undersized on both lines.

We've got to somehow be able to consistently force GD and McCoy into 3rds-and-more-than-6. I don't know how we're going to do this...

Our front 7 hasn't proven that they can stop Texas from averaging 8 yards per carry.

Their DL will beat our OL at times....hopefully this won't produce turnovers like earlier in the season.

Our secondary....I still think Sweed is soft. But he's better than the guys that were beating us last week. Pittman's fast and can run a fly route. Not good.

Toss-Ups:

Turnovers: First-time RRS start for both quarterbacks. Charles, S. Young, and AD have all shown the ability to put the ball on the ground. TO's killed them against tOSU and we just broke even on the season total.

Swagger: this series is a mind game w/ yourself...which coaching staff and team will be more confident walking down the Ramp? We'll see.

How big will the absence of Vince Young be in the locker room and huddle? They're obviously gonna miss his in-game abilities....but w/out him...who's their psychological leader? Who's gonna step up and lead when they need a big play or the Cotton Bowl momentum changes in OU's favor?

Greg Davis vs. Brent Venables: who's more popular right now w/ their own fanbase? Will GD go into a shell again? Will BV turn it around? Big coaching match-up.

Before the season started....everyone and their mom was picking this to be a low scoring, defensive chess match.

Barring a turnover fest from one side that leads to a runaway...it's looking more probable that it could be a shoot-out...not a grinder.

footballfanatic
9/21/2006, 12:26 PM
Wow.. that's almost unreadable due to multiple uses of gibberish.

As for defenses.. where is OU ranked? oh... 97th overall.

Now. .that high scoring offense that OU ran up against? Was that UAB.. or was that Washington? Or..was that the team that is probably only the 4th best in the Pac 10... The Oregon Striped Shirts?

As for the Ohio State game, the returning starters for OSU were the two interior tackles.. and Texas ran the ball successfully against OSU.

Finally, OU's offense last year and the year before were arguably better than this year's OU's offense... both teams only scored 12 on Texas. Don't look for a high scoring game this year.

In fact, this year's game may only have a total of 2 passes thrown the entire game as both teams grind it ou. If the Over/Under is 30.. take the under.

As for coaching, you don't have Mike Stoops, you have Brent Vulnerable and you have a new OC. I like that.

Okay, I like your post. I stand corrected on my comments about you not going tough against OU. You make good points in an honest way, unlike some of the more delusional comments by SOME of the OU supporters on this page.

I feel the comments between the two fans will be more tempered than last year--since the feeling is the programs are a little down. Looking forward to a tough game. Anyone on either side who claims a runaway blow-out is fooling themselves. Neither team is that dominant.

footballfanatic
9/21/2006, 12:31 PM
Positives:

Our OL isn't the pushover they were hoping it would be in the summer. We're not stacked w/ All-Americans...but we're good enough to allow Adrian to make plays. And Adrian will make plays.

Our passing game is fine. We just have to do it much earlier and keep them on their heels for four quarters instead of two.

The '06 Texas team is committing more penalties than a Mack team usually does...for some reason, they've lacked discipline to this point.

Reggie Smith. He's had 5 or 6 kick returns this year where he's been one man away from hitting paydirt...it's only a matter of time. Even if he doesn't score...he'll set us up w/ excellent field position at least once.

Their secondary is still unproven and our receivers are getting into a groove...I know they didn't have T. Brown against Ohio St. but they had everyone else....there were Buckeye receivers running free all night long. If Paul has time...he'll find Kelley and Co. for big plays.

Negatives:

We're undersized on both lines.

We've got to somehow be able to consistently force GD and McCoy into 3rds-and-more-than-6. I don't know how we're going to do this...

Our front 7 hasn't proven that they can stop Texas from averaging 8 yards per carry.

Their DL will beat our OL at times....hopefully this won't produce turnovers like earlier in the season.

Our secondary....I still think Sweed is soft. But he's better than the guys that were beating us last week. Pittman's fast and can run a fly route. Not good.

Toss-Ups:

Turnovers: First-time RRS start for both quarterbacks. Charles, S. Young, and AD have all shown the ability to put the ball on the ground. TO's killed them against tOSU and we just broke even on the season total.

Swagger: this series is a mind game w/ yourself...which coaching staff and team will be more confident walking down the Ramp? We'll see.

How big will the absence of Vince Young be in the locker room and huddle? They're obviously gonna miss his in-game abilities....but w/out him...who's their psychological leader? Who's gonna step up and lead when they need a big play or the Cotton Bowl momentum changes in OU's favor?

Greg Davis vs. Brent Venables: who's more popular right now w/ their own fanbase? Will GD go into a shell again? Will BV turn it around? Big coaching match-up.

Before the season started....everyone and their mom was picking this to be a low scoring, defensive chess match.

Barring a turnover fest from one side that leads to a runaway...it's looking more probable that it could be a shoot-out...not a grinder.

Good post--great points delivered with clarity and honesty. Greg Davis continues to be an enigma. He used a reverse to great effect against Rice, but didn't try it against the team where it could have done some good. He abandoned a running game where his running backs finshed the game averaging over 8 yeards a pop!!!!!!!!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/21/2006, 12:40 PM
Fixed. Nobody has established a running game against our front 7 to this point, not even OSU with their 2 5-star RBs.

That is actually what I meant. Although, PT looks way better than Butt-boy McCoy and you will have to put up with AD all day!

Herr Scholz
9/21/2006, 02:12 PM
Positives:

No, we didn't have everyone else. Starting safety Marcus Griffin (Michael's twin) went down with a sprained ankle in the 1st quarter. Michael Griffin was spending the rest of the night making sure all the backups were lined up correctly instead of focusing on making plays. Having Tarell Brown and Marcus Griffin back for the OU game will make a lot of difference.

If Todd Blythe has a big game against our secondary this weekend, I'll be worried. I don't expect it though. In addition, I don't think Paul Thompson will have too much time to throw anyway.

footballfanatic
9/21/2006, 02:56 PM
It's gonna be the quietest week in recent history for this game. The national press isn't taking our teams very seriously. OU had to have a major fiasco in their game to even get press, unless the 'where is the defense?" thread counts. Texas had thier shot at glory--we all know how that came out. So maybe this game will be less about the hype and more about just a great college game. Let's all hope so.

GDC
9/21/2006, 03:53 PM
Just when I thought this place couldn't suck anymore than it already does.

caphorns
9/21/2006, 04:08 PM
That is actually what I meant. Although, PT looks way better than Butt-boy McCoy and you will have to put up with AD all day!

The first part is just inaccurate:

PT - QB rating 143.8, 5TDs, 3INTs, 60% completion rate, 675 yards
McCoy - QB rating 159.5, 6TDs, 1INT, 64.4% completion rate, 456 yards

So PT has thrown for more yardage but also has a not so great TD to INT ratio. Although we've played 2 cupcakes, OU hasn't been facing very high quality competition either. This is close to a draw. McCoy has been accurate but too conservative. PT has been erratic. I'd take accurate and conservative in a defensive battle.

As for AD, this will be fun to watch. I suspect he will run on us more than anyone else has and probably up our 1 ypc average defensively. This is the strongest DL you've seen out of Texas though so he's going to have to take it outside. We have speed there to burn and even Reggie Bush didn't rack it up against this D because of our defensive speed. I'm less worried about the Lendale White type runner this year as well. We've strengthened in the middle. If I have a worry it is in the secondary. If OU's receivers and TE work well together then you could break down our zones and get some explosive plays when we blitz.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 04:10 PM
Just when I thought this place couldn't **** anymore than it already does.

Well then let me show you the door.

David Earl
9/21/2006, 04:11 PM
For a couple of weeks.

footballfanatic
9/21/2006, 04:18 PM

So PT has thrown for more yardage but also has a not so great TD to INT ratio. Although we've played 2 cupcakes, OU hasn't been facing very high quality competition either. This is close to a draw. McCoy has been accurate but too conservative. PT has been erratic. I'd take accurate and conservative in a defensive battle.

As for AD, this will be fun to watch. I suspect he will run on us more than anyone else has and probably up our 1 ypc average defensively. This is the strongest DL you've seen out of Texas though so he's going to have to take it outside. We have speed there to burn and even Reggie Bush didn't rack it up against this D because of our defensive speed. I'm less worried about the Lendale White type runner this year as well. We've strengthened in the middle. If I have a worry it is in the secondary. If OU's receivers and TE work well together then you could break down our zones and get some explosive plays when we blitz.

As a loyal Horn, I don't see how any of us can use the "This is toughest defense you'll see all year" argument. Toughest DL? There's been no proof of that, at least yet. OSU torched us through the air, and their QB had enough time to throw. Their recievers were so open that I couldn't even FIND defenders in the TV image. Let's not talk big--let's see if our team can prove it on the field.

OklahomaRed
9/21/2006, 04:20 PM
Did I just hear a shoe hitting the floor? :D

The Maestro
9/21/2006, 04:23 PM
As a loyal Horn, I don't see how any of us can use the "This is toughest defense you'll see all year" argument. Toughest DL? There's been no proof of that, at least yet. OSU torched us through the air, and their QB had enough time to throw. Their recievers were so open that I couldn't even FIND defenders in the TV image. Let's not talk big--let's see if our team can prove it on the field.

Wow...a horns fan who "gets it". Texas under Mack has long been known to rack up great numbers against the Rice's and North Texas's of the world. It helps them in national rankings at the end of the year. So what. And don't get happy about what you are going to do the next two weeks, either. Iowa State is off to a rough start, compared to what they were hoping for this year.

Octavian
9/21/2006, 05:20 PM
OU had to have a major fiasco in their game to even get press, unless the 'where is the defense?" thread counts.

I'm pretty sure if the correct call would've been made, Adrian's 150 yard fourth quarter performance on the road against a top 20 opponent would've gotten a lot more ink and he'd be the odds on Heisman favorite.

You're not getting as much ink b/c you scored 7 points at home against a defense who replaced 9 starters while using the Bill Callahan strategy for winning big games.

Down by 10 on 3rd and 16? GD ran Howdy Doody on the the shotgun option. Sweet.

Octavian
9/21/2006, 05:26 PM
No, we didn't have everyone else. Starting safety Marcus Griffin (Michael's twin) went down with a sprained ankle in the 1st quarter. Michael Griffin was spending the rest of the night making sure all the backups were lined up correctly instead of focusing on making plays.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1123/violinre6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

footballfanatic
9/21/2006, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty sure if the correct call would've been made, Adrian's 150 yard fourth quarter performance on the road against a top 20 opponent would've gotten a lot more ink and he'd be the odds on Heisman favorite.

You're not getting as much ink b/c you scored 7 points at home against a defense who replaced 9 starters while using the Bill Callahan strategy for winning big games.

Down by 10 on 3rd and 16? GD ran Howdy Doody on the the shotgun option. Sweet.

Don't disagree with what you say about UT, we've been soft, but surely you're not holding up OU as some amazing force of nature. OU has been, at best, mediocre. Yes, AD has been great, but overall, the team has moped along to marginal victories against greatly inferior opponents, and lost to the one quality opponent they've faced. And don't pull that "we won the game" argument. Even if you had, it would hardly have been a resounding victory, unless giving up 500 yards on defense is resounding.

Herr Scholz
9/22/2006, 10:11 AM
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1123/violinre6.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Just pointing out your incorrect assertion that we had a complete starting secondary besides Tarell Brown. We were also missing a starting safety after the first quarter.

Octavian
9/22/2006, 11:09 AM
Just pointing out your incorrect assertion that we had a complete starting secondary besides Tarell Brown. We were also missing a starting safety after the first quarter.

You can't just lay it at the feet of T. Brown or an injured ankle.

Chizik and Mack both said publicly that they were "surprised" that tOSU threw as often and as well as they did.

You don't give up 219 yards passing in the first half if your schemes are solid.

In the first big-game w/out Vince....Texas got outcoached on both sides of the ball.

"They were playing their safeties high, and they didn't really have a guy over me," Gonzalez said of UT's defense. "I kind of had free reign..."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/09/10/ohiostate.texas/1.html

caphorns
9/22/2006, 11:25 AM
Wow...a horns fan who "gets it". Texas under Mack has long been known to rack up great numbers against the Rice's and North Texas's of the world. It helps them in national rankings at the end of the year. So what. And don't get happy about what you are going to do the next two weeks, either. Iowa State is off to a rough start, compared to what they were hoping for this year.

If you read enough around here you know I'm honest in my assessments. I do see our flaws. And your point is just the old mantra and not applicable in this instance. Our DL's No. 1 assignment in the OSU game (as related by Coach Chizik after the game) was to shut down their very potent running game. They have 2 5-star backs running at you and a QB who can take off at any time. We also had at least one LB playing rover to keep track of Troy Smith. Net result was that OSU got only 99 yards rushing in 29 carries. A 2.7 per carry average which undoubtedly was part of the reason they only scored 24 points on us while torching our secondary. A lesser effort by the Texas DL would have netted a 40 - 50 point blowout.

What resulted from the focus on the run was Troy Smith did have a chance to run a few 5 step drops and find a wide open No. 11 on several occasions. It would have been much worse if Orakpo and others weren't getting pressure on Smith. We were getting pressure - albeit not 100% consistent. But it wasn't like Smith had all day back there or needed it. Where this is particularly relevant to OU is that you don't have nearly OSU's offensive line to work with - particularly in pass protection. You seriously have yet to face a team with a high quality DL like Texas has. Believe what you will but I strongly believe that the odds favor a low scoring game on both sides based on 2 things: UT's offense is fairly 1 dimensional and Stoops loves 1-D offense and UT's defense can dominate the LOS and keep AD mostly out of the UT secondary. I am also not counting on PT to turn up the jets on us - which is always a possibility. I am willing to be proven wrong, but my assessment is not based on "bias." I also was fairly certain we'd lose to OSU and I am about 75% certain UT loses 1 or 2 more games this year (my biggest concern being the game in Lincoln and the RRS, in that order).

KC//CRIMSON
9/22/2006, 11:45 AM

That's probably true, but you're forgetting one important factor. ENA can run like the wind. White boy McCoy, not so much.

I'm not too worried about our defense. I think this game really comes down to our O against your D.

caphorns
9/22/2006, 11:59 AM
Good point. I was comparing them as passers. I don't think you guys can beat a speed-oriented D like Texas with a rushing attack. It's really strength on strength there and defense usually wins out if the offense can't find an edge. Stranger things have happened though so I'm OK if your thought is that you'll beat us with the QB running everywhere or maybe throw in some wishbone. I know Bob will have something up his sleve and it probably involves an option with AD/PT as the touch points. Maybe he'll come out in the zone read?

1991SOONER
9/22/2006, 12:16 PM
I'll settle this:

Stoops > M Brown

Therefore we win:D

Its that simple...

caphorns
9/22/2006, 12:23 PM
I'll settle this:

Stoops > M Brown

Therefore we win:D

Its that simple...

Not at clapping.

soonerinabilene
9/22/2006, 12:38 PM
im kinda amazed at how civil this thread is. most of the time an ou\tx thread only takes a couple of posts to get outta hand with the name calling and the "we are going to kill you so you shouldnt even show up" crap. im telling you Ted, something strange is afoot at the circle K. SAN DEMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2006, 12:45 PM
im kinda amazed at how civil this thread is. most of the time an ou\tx thread only takes a couple of posts to get outta hand with the name calling and the "we are going to kill you so you shouldnt even show up" crap. im telling you Ted, something strange is afoot at the circle K. SAN DEMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

It will start up after this weekend. We both have bye weeks next week and things are a might.. touchy... after last weekend's boondoggle.