PDA

View Full Version : Ahh, there's nothing like the smell of refer in the 4th quarter

XingTheRubicon
9/20/2006, 12:32 AM
Good evening fellow Sooner fans,

I'm back from the land of Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers and all I can say is WOW.

What a freaking trip.

First of all, here's PT the day before the game at Autzen
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2678/ptjd0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Friday, I ran a lap at Hayward Field. No, I did not break Pre's 3 mile record, a lap in the rain was sufficient. What an honor to set foot on that track.

Drank a beer with Jason White at Taylors near campus in Eugene and got to meet as the evening went on......Duck fan.

Duck fan is obsessed with loud noises. Still at Taylors, many a Duck fan approached me to alert me to the ear drum pounding that awaits all things Sooner.

Getting hammered.

11:05PM Duck fan buys me the local shot (duck phart) Baileys and something, I couldn't hear, it's loud because we were near Autzen.

11:58PM Duck fan buys me an enormous draft and screams, any of these ****in' boys give you any trouble, you let me know, OK? You bet.

12:36AM Duck fan tells me to leave. "Hey, there's Mark Rogers." I said outloud. Who the **** is Mark Rodders, Duck fan screams. Nobody, I mumbled to myself

01:10AM Duck fight song is played in the bar.

01:11AM Feeling nervous. The bar seems to be dividing and choosing sides.

01:14AM 85th Duck fan comes up to our table to ask us how we think the game will go. "You're defense is kind of shaky" he says. My brother replies, "if our D messes around and plays like the first two games we'll only win by 30." That was not the answer that Duck fan was looking for. Time to leave Taylors. Walked back to the B&B.

Gameday, sitting in our seats, 4 seats from the student section.

"**** you Sooners, **** you Sooners. That was sweet.

Then, a motorcycle noise. Their pregame is a video highlight with motorcycle revving in the background, and then something riding a Harley leads the black, green, and highliter yellow Ducks onto the field.

Loud noises.

Loudest football game that I have ever attended.

4th quarter....2 minutes to go, I smell ganja. 2 Duck fans leaving say "That's Eugene for ya." Then they light it up again during the TV time out. We all know how the rest of the game turned out.

For the record, what a freaking game. I was impressed with OU's and Oregon's fight. The ebb and flow, fighting 'til the end. It was a beautiful thing to witness. I saw two teams that left every ****ing thing on the field and I'm impressed with both programs.

To the Oregon and Oklahoma players......Bravo.

critical_phil
9/20/2006, 02:27 AM
wow.

cool post. sounds like you had a good time.

i really wish i'd made the trip now. sitting home and watching it on the tube, it just looked like we got butt ****ed by the refs.

yermom
9/20/2006, 02:37 AM
those of us at the game didn't completely understand the screw job until later

we were just heartbroken to lose the game in such a wild and close fashion

i liked the noise meter on the jumbotron

QuackTastic
9/20/2006, 03:28 AM
I'm glad you had an enjoyable experience in Eugene! I was a bit worried that Autzen would disappoint considering all the places that OU has been but from what I can tell, It just might be one of the best places to play football!

Certainly one of the loudest!

The fans I met before, during, and after the game all seemed like class acts and are the most knowledgeable football gurus I've ever met. I hope this isn't the last meeting between the 2 schools. I would love a Holiday Bowl rematch!

Jewstin
9/20/2006, 03:40 AM
I'd love a national championship rematch.

I can see it now...

Oregon goes undefeated ... somehow, USC, the Ohio States, Michigans and Auburns of college football drop a game somewhere along the line ...

The media and the pollsters see the situation brewing ... the potential implication and story behind that kind of a match-up catches fire and the two meet up ... of course, Oklahoma, seeking vengeance, drops half a hundred. AD has 400 yards rushing and five sacks (at this point in the season, he's also playing linebacker).

Then I wake up. Or OU gets snubbed by, uh, lets say, Notre Dame and we end up playing in the Honda Hybrid Car Bowl.

yermom
9/20/2006, 03:43 AM
a rematch might be nice, but if we aren't at the Cotton Bowl or Fiesta Bowl i'll be fairly disappointed ;)

most of the fans were pretty cool to us, there were more jackasses after the game though

EDIT: heh, hadn't thought of the #1 vs #2 rematch. can you imagine the circus if that somehow happened?

ADs_Agent
9/20/2006, 09:31 AM
the student second was lighting joints at the game? that's amazing, where was the secuirity?

sooner518
9/20/2006, 09:33 AM
the student second was lighting joints at the game? that's amazing, where was the secuirity?
they kicked out a couple guys in my section for smoking weed. but they let one guy stay who they caught with an entire bottle of Courvoisier. they just took it away from him. he was also smoking, but they didnt catch him doing it. total winner

Pricetag
9/20/2006, 09:37 AM
I heard that there was a mishap with our cheerleaders with the flags, and they took off running with only "NERS" showing, and that the Oregon fans had quite a bit of fun with that.

yermom
9/20/2006, 09:37 AM
it was just "SOON"

heh, i had forgotten about that

Octavian
9/20/2006, 09:41 AM

yep.

toughest 5 minutes of football (real-time...not on the clock) I've probably ever sat through

flopshotjoe99
9/20/2006, 09:45 AM
sounds like a cool trip, that stadium while small is extremly loud from all accounts i've heard.

XingTheRubicon
9/20/2006, 09:56 AM

i liked the noise meter on the jumbotron

Sorry about the tickets, yermom. I called my brother at least 10 times and didn't know that he had already sold them 'til we got on the plane.

I thought I saw you at the game. Were you wearing an AD jersey? It was pretty far away.

Octavian
9/20/2006, 10:03 AM
as for the noise, I wasn't just blown away...maybe cause I was sitting up top...must've been a lot louder in the lower sections and on the field where the sound couldn't escape.

Incredible backdrop though...awesome scenery

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3581/200609160061fs9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OUTrumpet
9/20/2006, 10:20 AM
as for the noise, I wasn't just blown away...maybe cause I was sitting up top...must've been a lot louder in the lower sections and on the field where the sound couldn't escape.

Incredible backdrop though...awesome scenery

Yeah, Oregon (the state) was very beautiful.

From where I was sitting with the band it seemed comparable to KSU or Okie State.

stoopified
9/20/2006, 10:59 AM
Sounds like someone DID undeed inhale.

yermom
9/20/2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry about the tickets, yermom. I called my brother at least 10 times and didn't know that he had already sold them 'til we got on the plane.

I thought I saw you at the game. Were you wearing an AD jersey? It was pretty far away.

yeah, and i was pretty far away ;)

we ended up on row 91, about 3 rows from the top

Taxman71
9/20/2006, 01:37 PM
Getting hammered........Walked back to the B&B.

Never before seen a post that started with getting drunk and loud and ended with walking back to the bed and breakfast?

XingTheRubicon
9/20/2006, 04:06 PM
Never before seen a post that started with getting drunk and loud and ended with walking back to the bed and breakfast?

It was actually located on campus. Great spot, walking distance to everything.

BTW,

during the lonely walk from the stadium, we were double-timing it back to the car from Autzen. Now, as you could imagine, we heard quack sounds and kazoo's for 48 hrs and were ready to get the car and get the **** back to Portland.

As we left the stadium, Duck fans were quacking their little duck calls and going berserk. However, after we crossed the Wilmette bridge, things quieted down. We were all alone, walking briskly. The obnoxious fans were still back at the stadium.

We cross a ten foot bridge over a small creek.

There are 2 ducks (male and female mallard) swimming in circles.

Right as we get to the end of the bridge......the awkward quiet is broken.

Quack!

I look, my brother looks...

"Did that ****ing duck just quack at us." My brother said.

The female mallard is staring straight at us.

We couldn't stop laughing. An actual duck rubbing it in was just too funny no matter how pi**ed we were.