PDA

View Full Version : So if you went to Oregon.............

Sooner24
9/19/2006, 09:54 PM
besides the football game how was your trip?

We had a great time. Saw the Spruce Goose, went to the ocean a couple of times and did some major sight seeing.

Anyone else? And no football screw jobs talk allowed in this thread.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/19/2006, 10:02 PM
I'm actually still up here, drove to Whidbey Island in WA. It is absolutely beautiful here. Except for Sat afternoon, it has been exceptional. Tomorrow we are going to go look for whales then head back tomorrow night.

proudsoonergal
9/19/2006, 10:11 PM
I went. I went up to Pittock Mansion on Thursday afternoon (thanks to the Duck fan who suggested it), although I couldn't see too much due to the weather. I spent Thursday night in Corvallis, and saw the OSU campus - really pretty. I think I liked it better than UO, although all of the orange and black and "OSU"s were very disconcerting. ;) Friday I drove down the coast a bit, and saw a few lighthouses (and a bunch of Sooner fans). Saturday...well....and Sunday I headed back home.

Overall, other than Saturday, great trip. Everyone I talked to was really friendly and nice and kept telling us "thanks for coming to Oregon!"

critical_phil
9/19/2006, 10:14 PM
...other than that, mrs. lincoln, how did you like the play?

Blue
9/19/2006, 10:36 PM
Dear Penthouse,

I went. I met a couple at the bar the night before the game. We went back to their place and shared our hopes and dreams over Kahlua Lattes and Seal. Things got a little relaxed and well, you know...

It was a fabulous evening and one I'll shall never forget.

sooner518
9/19/2006, 11:03 PM
Didnt spend a whole lot of time. Got there late Friday night. Spent the night in Salem. Drove straight to the game. 8 hours later, I woke up from a coma, and we drove straight west to the ocean near Florence. It was a really beautiful place with really nice beaches, and some really cool looking fog coming over over the water.

We then drove straight up the 101 for about 40 miles or so, gawking at the impressive cliffside views the entire way. One of the most beautiful drives I have ever encountered. Got back to Salem late, next morning, had breakfast in Salem, headed for the airport and the rest is history.

Sooner24
9/19/2006, 11:08 PM
Dear Penthouse,

I went. I met a couple at the bar the night before the game. We went back to their place and shared our hopes and dreams over Kahlua Lattes and Seal. Things got a little relaxed and well, you know...

It was a fabulous evening and one I'll shall never forget.

Pics??? Link???

:pop:

Blue
9/19/2006, 11:11 PM
Pics??? Link???

:pop:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78375

;)

westcoast_sooner
9/19/2006, 11:24 PM
The trip itself, if I removed the football game's ending from the thing (in fact, that's a good idea - just erase that part of my memory... :) ) was pretty good. Flew into Portland, and drove down on Saturday morning. The weather was beautiful, most of the fans were friendly, welcoming me to their state. They really want to be proud of their football program. They really want some spek for UO football, and think that their time has finally come.

Plus, I met a bunch of Sooner fans - who were great as always. Got up close with three legends - Steve Owens, Billy Sims and Jason were all sitting in the section next to mine. Forgot my friggin camera or I'd have pics with them.

Enjoyed the road trip. Even though I live in Northern California now, I'd never been to Oregon. Nice, pretty section of the state, and I hear they have some awesome golf there.

Sooner98
9/19/2006, 11:41 PM
Thursday: started the day by driving along the Columbia River, saw several waterfalls along the way, including Multnomah Falls. Then drove up to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood - the outside of this hotel is the one they used in the move "The Shining". It was actually SNOWING up there (although thankfully I didn't run into any crazy hotel caretakers there running around with an axe, shouting "DANNY!!") Then drove all the way down to Crater Lake - if you didn't go and check this out, you don't know what you missed. Very spectacular. Then drove to Eugene to stay the night.

Friday: drove east into the mountains again, up through McKenzie Pass, where it was, once again, snowing. :eek: Saw a few more waterfalls after that. Drove by Detroit Lake, then drove out to the coast. Really cool views from Lincoln City all the way down to Florence. Then back to Eugene for the night.

Saturday: uh, yeah.

Sunday: flew back

Readyfor8
9/20/2006, 12:28 AM
...other than that, mrs. lincoln, how did you like the play?

Too Soon!!!

Collier11
9/20/2006, 01:17 AM
WE had a great time, bartenders bought us shots along with oregon fans, we got really drunk, partied with my buddies brother who is a sigma chi at oregon so we got treated pretty well at the party we went to, we played lots of beer pong and the game was heart stopping to say the least. There were about 4 ****** bags that I can count, but thats to be expected.

LibertyValance
9/20/2006, 01:31 AM
Flew into Eugene on Thursday from San Francisco. Drove to the coast and spent the night in North Bend. Had Sea Bass and a nice Oregon Pinot Noir for dinner. Breakfast on Friday morning in Coos Bay at a local cafe. Sign on the wall:

Coffee:
Cup with fillup - $1.05
3 hours - $3.00
All Morning - $5.00
All Day (with one hour break to go home for lunch) - $7.50

Drove down to Bandon Dunes, arriving about 10:00am. Nice practice range. Putting green about 4 acres. Greens are a bit slow. 12noon tee time. Steve, our caddy, went to ASU and said he would be rooting for the Ducks (cost him $20 off the top of his tip). It rained on the first 2 holes. Put on my rain gear and of course it stopped. 2-club wind. Sunshine most of the round, with clouds and rain again at the end. Closest thing to Scotland I have experienced. After being 5 down to my brother after 7, I put on a furious charge on the back to even the match.

Drove to Eugene, leaving the Coast at Reedsport and following the Umpqua River east. Spectacular scenery. In Elkton, we stumble on a High School football game. After parking and arriving at the sideline, Elkton has just scored to go up 54-6 with about 5 minutes left. They run for the 2-point conversion and the Elkton right tackle pancakes a defender who couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs. At that point, they stop the game (50 point rule?) and the teams shake hands. One of the Elkton players is a dead ringer for Herman Munster.

Arrive in Eugene and check in to the Express Inn. Head to the Steelhead Brewing Co. Find lots of Sooners and friendly Ducks and drink lots of beer. One of the Duck locals tells us to have breakfast Sat. morning at the Keystone Cafe if we want the quinessential Eugene experience. Arrive at the Keystone with only a slight hangover. Cash only. Everything organic, including the waitresses. After breakfast, we park along the river, and walk across the bridge to Autzen.

The next four hours will not be discussed.

Walked back to the car. The Duck fans were kind enough to leave us alone. My brother drops me off at the airport, I check my bag and clubs, then slip into the restaurant for a burger and a beer. Shortly thereafter, the team shows up and starts a death march through security. Kevin Wilson comes into the restaurant, jumps into the booth next to me, and starts checking his messages on his cell phone. We share a glance and roll our eyes in unison. At halftime of the USC-Nebbish game, ESPN replays the "event that is not to be discussed". I nearly choke on my burger.

On the flight back to San Francisco, the stewardess makes an announcement - "A gentleman in the front of the plane would like to know if there are any other Sooners on board". I raise my hand. "Drinks are on me", said the Sooner in the front of the plane.

Boomer Sooner

Blue
9/20/2006, 01:43 AM
Flew into Eugene on Thursday from San Francisco. Drove to the coast and spent the night in North Bend. Had Sea Bass and a nice Oregon Pinot Noir for dinner. Breakfast on Friday morning in Coos Bay at a local cafe. Sign on the wall:

Coffee:
Cup with fillup - $1.05
3 hours - $3.00
All Morning - $5.00
All Day (with one hour break to go home for lunch) - $7.50

Drove down to Bandon Dunes, arriving about 10:00am. Nice practice range. Putting green about 4 acres. Greens are a bit slow. 12noon tee time. Steve, our caddy, went to ASU and said he would be rooting for the Ducks (cost him $20 off the top of his tip). It rained on the first 2 holes. Put on my rain gear and of course it stopped. 2-club wind. Sunshine most of the round, with clouds and rain again at the end. Closest thing to Scotland I have experienced. After being 5 down to my brother after 7, I put on a furious charge on the back to even the match.

Drove to Eugene, leaving the Coast at Reedsport and following the Umpqua River east. Spectacular scenery. In Elkton, we stumble on a High School football game. After parking and arriving at the sideline, Elkton has just scored to go up 54-6 with about 5 minutes left. They run for the 2-point conversion and the Elkton right tackle pancakes a defender who couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs. At that point, they stop the game (50 point rule?) and the teams shake hands. One of the Elkton players is a dead ringer for Herman Munster.

Arrive in Eugene and check in to the Express Inn. Head to the Steelhead Brewing Co. Find lots of Sooners and friendly Ducks and drink lots of beer. One of the Duck locals tells us to have breakfast Sat. morning at the Keystone Cafe if we want the quinessential Eugene experience. Arrive at the Keystone with only a slight hangover. Cash only. Everything organic, including the waitresses. After breakfast, we park along the river, and walk across the bridge to Autzen.

The next four hours will not be discussed.

Walked back to the car. The Duck fans were kind enough to leave us alone. My brother drops me off at the airport, I check my bag and clubs, then slip into the restaurant for a burger and a beer. Shortly thereafter, the team shows up and starts a death march through security. Kevin Wilson comes into the restaurant, jumps into the booth next to me, and starts checking his messages on his cell phone. We share a glance and roll our eyes in unison. At halftime of the USC-Nebbish game, ESPN replays the "event that is not to be discussed". I nearly choke on my burger.

On the flight back to San Francisco, the stewardess makes an announcement - "A gentleman in the front of the plane would like to know if there are any other Sooners on board". I raise my hand. "Drinks are on me", said the Sooner in the front of the plane.

Boomer Sooner

That's awesome. I gotta start going to games.

OUTrumpet
9/20/2006, 10:21 AM
The band stayed in Portland. It was awesome. Had a great time.

GrapevineSooner
9/20/2006, 11:32 AM
The ocean views from Northern California on up into Oregon are some of the most beautiful views I've ever had the privlege of seeing in person.

If I didn't have my family here in DFW, I'd consider moving up there because of the climate and all the greenery.

ADs_Agent
9/20/2006, 11:43 AM
but then you'd have to give up fried food and take up Phish music