PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops

TheGodfather889
9/19/2006, 09:50 PM
Do we need Mike Stoops to come back, so get back the days of when OU had the dominating defense, and when OU and Miami were the big bad guys of college football back from 2000-2003?

tulsaOUfan
9/19/2006, 09:54 PM
I've been hoping he gets fired from zona. selfish, I know, but there it is

LiteCOL
9/19/2006, 10:05 PM
First Post (gotta start somewhere)

As much as I appreciated M. Stoops while he was here, I always thought he (and now Venables) allowed for too much of a "bend-don't break" defensive style. Bob Stoops and company have been here for 7 plus seasons now, and the Sooners have recorded all of EIGHT shutouts.

I'm just sayin...

SoonerinSouthlake
9/19/2006, 10:17 PM
unfortunately BV has changed it to "Bend then Break" as of this year

colleyvillesooner
9/19/2006, 10:17 PM
He's never coming back here unless it's to be the head coach. Period.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/19/2006, 10:21 PM
He's never coming back her unless it's to be the head coach. Period.

this may be a stupid question..but...here goes
Why Not?
Granted when a coach goes from assistant to Head Coach, and fails, he will only become an assistant somewhere else....but in this case...Hes a Stoops.

You can say almost never...but not never
....maybe

....please

SoonerinSouthlake
9/19/2006, 10:22 PM
edit
..Sorry

sooneron
9/19/2006, 10:27 PM

As much as I appreciated M. Stoops while he was here, I always thought he (and now Venables) allowed for too much of a "bend-don't break" defensive style. Bob Stoops and company have been here for 7 plus seasons now, and the Sooners have recorded all of EIGHT shutouts.

I'm just sayin...

Actually, it's 6. Nice homework, there. The first being in 01

How many teams do you think have more than that in that span?

Tressel has been at tOSU since 01 and he has one shutout.

Miami- under Davis and Coker have 5

FSU- has 3

Vatech- has a whopping 12- let's not forget where they used to play conf wise- but an amazinng job!

UTerus has 7

Any other strong D programs you'd like to see??

Moral of the story is, it's tough to get a shutout. Especially if you are far ahead and you have reserves in. Not only that, but the scholly limits have dispersed the talent to mid majors and the like.

TrophyCollector
9/19/2006, 10:42 PM

I'm just sayin...

Shutouts - wow, there is a great way to judge a defense :rolleyes:. Nice first post I guess.

Blitzkrieg
9/19/2006, 10:42 PM
Mike Stoops was on the sidelines when KU racked up big yards on us in 2000 in Sept. He was also on the sdielines when KSU racked up huge yards on us in Norman in Sept. 2001

The 2000 and 2001 defenses turned out pretty good. I'll wait and see on this version.

LiteCOL
9/19/2006, 10:43 PM
Actually, it's 6. Nice homework, there. The first being in 01

"Thanks." However, according to my handy 2006 media guide, it's EIGHT:
Indiana State 49-0
Missouri 37-0
Tulsa 58-0
Tulsa 37-0
UTEP 68-0
AtM 77-0
ut 12-0
Baylor 35-0

Regardless, I became a fan while a student at OU while Gibbs was the D-Coordinator. I haven't seen OU (nor anyone else I guess) have that type of intenisty and willingness to sell out to rape and pillage the opposing offense.

Granted, a lot of it had to do with the talent, but a lot of it was Gibbs and Procter et al. I don't see it with the current d-coaching staff here at all. Again, just sayin...

tulsaOUfan
9/19/2006, 10:51 PM
since when is shutouts the sole measuring stick of a defense? If you want to use points given up, I'd think an average would be better, or perhaps number of games giving up 10 pts or less.

2004 OU had 2 shutouts, 3 games of 3 pts, and 2 more games of 10 pts or less
2003 OU had 1 shutout, 2 games of 3 pts, and 2 more games of 10 pts or less
2001 OU had 1 shutout, 3 games of 3 pts, and 3 more games of 10 pts or less

LiteCOL
9/19/2006, 10:59 PM
Shutouts - wow, there is a great way to judge a defense :rolleyes:. Nice first post I guess.

Thanks, way to make a guy feel welcome... :rolleyes:

When Mike was here, I remember a postgame interview where somebody asked him if he thought the D was a "bend don't break" defense. He fired back that he didn't care how many yards he gave up, as long as they kept them from scoring too many points, and they won. While I agree (obviously outscore = win!), I have often thought that OU's D does tend to give too much, for whatever reason, and often times doesn't put teams away when they should.

Doesn't matter anyway, Mike's not coming back. Like Gibbs though - he's probably a better coordinator than head coach. (I know too ealry to tell for sure...)

tulsaOUfan
9/19/2006, 11:04 PM
Bob would take brother Mike back in a hearbeat so I don't see how anyone could dismiss the possibility. It might not be likely, but it's possible.

TrophyCollector
9/19/2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks, way to make a guy feel welcome... :rolleyes:

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude - just saying that INVHO, that total shutouts is a bad way to judge a defense. Since 2000, here are our final NCAA rankings in total defense:

2005 - 13
2004 - 13
2003 - 3
2002 - 10
2001 - 4
2000 - 8

Scoring defense:

2005 - 37
2004 - 11
2003 - 5
2002 - 6
2001 - 4
2000 - 7

So can you make a case that our D has dropped off since Mike Stoops left - yes. But you were making the point that the D wasn't that great over the past 7 years because they've only had 8 shutouts. I'm sorry, but 4 straight years in the top 10 in scoring D and total D makes the number of shutouts completely meaningless. No way you can call those numbers the result of a "bend don't break" defense - those are the numbers of a dominating, bad *** defense.

goingoneight
9/19/2006, 11:26 PM
2000 had one defensive shut out... care to guess which one that was?

Back on subject... no I don't necessarily think we need Mike himself back, maybe Bob could act more as the DC like Pete Carroll did in 2004... maybe we can look for another great Stoops connection. One thing's for sure, OUr D ain't right. Oklahoma should be feared at every spot in the defensive backfield, not a riddle of how much crap can a barely D-1 team get away with on us.

cvsooner
9/19/2006, 11:37 PM
Well, let's just see what happens on November 18, I believe it is, when Mike and the Wildcats go up to Eugene. That should be interesting, no?

Fraggle145
9/20/2006, 01:30 AM

I'm just sayin...

think this is a venables development... dont remember much bending when Mike was here... seem to remember it when he left.

colleyvillesooner
9/20/2006, 07:50 AM
Bob would take brother Mike back in a hearbeat so I don't see how anyone could dismiss the possibility. It might not be likely, but it's possible.

Oh, I don't doubt that, I just think there's no way Mike throws his hat in to that ring, unless it's a "come back for one year as DC, and next year you'll be the HC" kind of thing.

Texas Golfer
9/20/2006, 07:56 AM
You guys can throw all of those stats out there but I'd like to see Mike come back to help restore something more important than shutouts...intensity and attitude.

We seem to have lost something when we lost Mike and it just wasn't his defensive genius. The fire seems to have left with him.

Maybe we could get those things back if we get Mike back. That being said, I hope he has great success in Arizona but, should it not work out...

sooneron
9/20/2006, 08:03 AM
MIKE IS NOT COMING BACK AS A DC!!!!

Face it.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 08:12 AM

Regardless, I became a fan while a student at OU while Gibbs was the D-Coordinator. I haven't seen OU (nor anyone else I guess) have that type of intenisty and willingness to sell out to rape and pillage the opposing offense.

Granted, a lot of it had to do with the talent, but a lot of it was Gibbs and Procter et al. I don't see it with the current d-coaching staff here at all. Again, just sayin...
My bad on missing 99. It's a diff link on cfbdatawarehouse. I still don't think shut outs is the best way to factor a D's performance.

My biggest problem with the current guys is scheme. Before, it wasn't so much aggressiveness as it was watching opp qb's looking clueless. It seemed they never knew at the line if we were in zone/cover 2/ or man until the play was well under way. Were they always clueless? No. However, it seemed like they were often. When the qb is guessing, you can run zone blites / lb stunts, etc... That is where aggressiveness comes in.
I was at OU at the time of Gibbs as DC and I agree, but a lot of that was talent. Straight up. The 01 Miami D was like that defense, although, they had a better secondary.

flopshotjoe99
9/20/2006, 10:01 AM
BV is on thin ice IMHO, this season has high expectations out of the defense & so far, they are failing miserably as far as OU standards go.

Nate Johnson
9/20/2006, 10:27 AM
I haven't really been that impressed with the calls on defense.
Prevent defense says to me "I want to lose".

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:42 AM
Especially when you don't prevent anything.

opksooner
9/20/2006, 11:06 AM
Ain't no way in hell that Mike would come back. Going from an assistant coaching the D to a head coach at a D-1 school was a big jump up. If anything happens at Arizona there will many other head coaching opportunities that arise. To return to an assistant would be a step down in the hierarchy of coaching, an admission of failure as head coach.

I wish Mike well but a return is not in the cards, although I'd take him in a NY minute. It just ain't gonna happen.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2006, 11:19 AM
MIKE IS NOT COMING BACK AS A DC!!!!

Face it.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyMack
9/20/2006, 11:20 AM
What was our turnover margin last year and this year with BV running the show vs. previous years? I don't have those numbers, but I bet we're in the terlet compared to where we were a few years ago.

ADs_Agent
9/20/2006, 11:23 AM
why can't a head coach return as a DC? See John Blake coaching at Nebraska

sooneron
9/20/2006, 11:25 AM

Heh!

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 12:04 PM

When was John Blake ever a head coach?

ADs_Agent
9/20/2006, 12:07 PM
are you serious? from 1996-1999

Landthief 1972
9/20/2006, 12:15 PM
The question is, if Bob thinks BV isn't getting the job done, is he willing to pink slip a guy he's worked with for years and probably considers a close friend? Bob is a defensive-minded coach, so in theory, he could coach it, but I don't think he would.

CtheB
9/20/2006, 12:39 PM
David Cutcliffe was the HC at Ole Miss, now the OC at Tennessee.

mdklatt
9/20/2006, 01:31 PM
are you serious? from 1996-1999

I don't think we had a head coach during that span. ;)

ADs_Agent
9/20/2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think we had a head coach during that span. ;)

not a decent one anyways

sooneron
9/20/2006, 01:37 PM
Is Mike Stoops HC material? The jury may still be out on that one, but he's definitely more of one than Boo.

HoustonStephen
9/20/2006, 01:37 PM
not a decent one anyways

Hugs count for something though!

sooner969
9/20/2006, 02:28 PM
Indiana State 49-0
Missouri 37-0
Tulsa 58-0
Tulsa 37-0
UTEP 68-0
AtM 77-0
ut 12-0
Baylor 35-0

Please stop while your ahead and take the '85 colored glasses off please.

Scott D
9/20/2006, 03:10 PM
think this is a venables development... dont remember much bending when Mike was here... seem to remember it when he left.

I hear that Mike still pees his pants when he hears combinations like "Fields to Woods" and "McNeil to Anyone". I'd rather see someone from outside the system replace Venables if things come to that...someone with a coaching philsophy and system to fit the players we have and the players we want to recruit.