PDA

View Full Version : This guy I know...

9/19/2006, 06:11 PM
was in a car accident earlier this week that cost the life of his 11 year old daughter.

I say, "this guy I know" because though we aren't enemies, we aren't best friends or anything. When my father in-law was still kicking, I went to Lions Club meetings with him and got to know this guy as a jokester dude. I didn't have a problem with him, but we weren't great friends. You know, kinda like I regard most "jokester dudes" on SF.com.

Anyway, here's the story from our local, local-award winning tv crew:

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/3947286.html

This news has made me sick to my stomach all afternoon. I have a daughter not far from that age. One of my daughter's friends was good friends and neighbors with this kid.

Her funeral is scheduled for 10:30, Thursday. I have no idea why, but I feel a strange need to be there. However, one concern is absolutely real...

I could lose it big time.

That alone is keeping me from considering it a good idea.

Sooner_Bob
9/19/2006, 06:18 PM
I couldn't get the link to work, but it does sound like a very sad situation.

9/19/2006, 06:19 PM
Sorry... KBTX must not have paid their electric.

Students and Faculty at Navasota Junior High are mourning the loss of Taylor Meschke.

The 11-year-old was killed in a car accident Sunday morning and Monday crisis councilors were on hand to help those grieving.

Police say the girl was riding with her parents and two siblings when their car hydroplaned and overturned in the center median on Highway 6, north of Highway 105.

Taylor Meschke was pronounced dead at the scene.

"She was always the one that would come and say do you have anything for me to do and she would help out," Cindy DeMott, the principal at Navasota Junior High said. "She was a very outgoing, well liked, good student. She was just a likeable, bubbly young lady."

In August, DeMott was dealt a similar fate. Three of her children were killed in a car accident.

Now she is helping, Taylor's mom, also a faculty member at Navasota Junior High get through a difficult time.

"It's by the grace of God that we get through this it's not a day to day, it's minute to minute," DeMott said. "There's more grace than we can imagine and that what will carry them through."

Crisis councilors set up a quiet area in the school to help students deal with the loss.

"We give them a chance to vent and validate what they've experienced through this tragedy," Dennis Macha, a Crisis Coordinator for Region 6 said. "Then we give them time to predict and prepare for what is coming next and so nothing catches them by surprise. It allows them to know that they're not alone in the process."

A process that will continue for those who knew Taylor best.

Taylor's twin sister, Kaitlin, was also injured, and so was their brother Garrett.
They sustained minor injuries and have been released from the hospital.
The rest of the family was not seriously injured.

picasso
9/19/2006, 06:21 PM
dude. go to the funeral. I've made it a point in my adult life to attend as many as possible. if anything in repsect to his friends/family that you may be close to.

Sooner_Bob
9/19/2006, 06:23 PM
Man . . . I agree with pic. Go. If you lose it, you lose it. If you don't go I think you might regret it.

9/19/2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I know I should. I guess that's why I prefaced the whole deal explaining that the dad and I weren't exactly great pals, but I'm sitting here trying to imagine what he is going through and simply can't.

Ruined an otherwise perfectly ****ty day.

9/19/2006, 06:26 PM
I think I'll camp near the back.

I've never been to a kid's funeral.

yermom
9/19/2006, 06:40 PM
i went to one for a guy that graduated the year after i did, he was 20 i think

not. cool.

man, this sounds rough, i'm sure losing a child is bad, i can't imagine losing a sibling either, but a twin? ouch. i'm sure they are going through some rough times, and will be for a while.

losing it sounds like it's totally appropriate, i'd imagine you wouldn't be the only one

Sooner_Bob
9/19/2006, 06:45 PM

Me neither . . . I hope I never have to.

crawfish
9/19/2006, 06:46 PM
I have an 11-year-old son. I can't imagine losing him. :(

StoopTroup
9/19/2006, 07:41 PM
I think I'll camp near the back.

I did that once and the Funeral Director came to all of us in the back 1st to approach the casket and Family and give our goodbyes and condolences.

Sit in the Middle.

9/19/2006, 07:47 PM
I'm not going to the front to "give our goodbyes and condolences."

I will, however, stick around and greet the parents.

My wife and I just went on a long-ish run and talked about it... we're both going. Her being there will help me out.

And there you have it.

Thanks as always, SO friends. It isn't a personal anguish, but having a place to ask things is always good and appreciated.

olevetonahill
9/19/2006, 07:53 PM
I think thats a good decision .
tell em the SO is prayin for em

9/19/2006, 07:55 PM
Might bring a smile to his Texas Aggie mug. Thanks.

olevetonahill
9/19/2006, 08:00 PM
Might bring a smile to his Texas Aggie mug. Thanks.
AW now i see why you weren't best buds :)
But when it comes to losing a child the team hatred goes out the window

tbl
9/19/2006, 08:20 PM
Funerals for youngsters are so hard. Don't feel bad about breaking down, b/c every single person usual has a tough time at those (as they rightly should). I haven't been to one since I became a parent, but I can guarantee I wouldn't be able to handle it without bitter weeping. It grieves my heart right now just thinking about it...

BoogercountySooner
9/19/2006, 08:42 PM
The sadest funeral for someone besides a family member was a guy I work with's grandson. The boy's father was mentally ill and got mad at my coworkers daughter the boy's mother and he shot the 2 year old boy and killed himself.

It was tough going but my coworker needed all the support he could get. It was an open casket and the little fella was in a sailor suit. Very sad trajedy. Your kinda friend will appreciate you.

OUDoc
9/19/2006, 08:44 PM
I went to a funeral for a 2 year old, the daughter of someone in my residency program. It sucked. Bad. But, as a father, I felt I had to go. I would appreciate the moral support if I were ever in those shoes. :(

SoonerBBall
9/19/2006, 08:50 PM
Losing my twin brother is pretty much the thing that I fear most in this world.

Tailwind
9/19/2006, 11:26 PM
She was too good for this world, and the world will miss her. I'm glad you and your wife are going together. And hug your kids extra hard for awhile.

9/21/2006, 02:23 PM
Well, that was difficult. I almost walked out just minutes after walking in.

Glad I didn't, but wow, that was not much fun at all.

Osce0la
9/21/2006, 02:29 PM
There was a 2 year old here in Birmingham that died a few days ago after a bullet came through the wall in their apartment and hit the child in the stomach, killing him within minutes.

Things like this really have an affect on you as a parent. I don't know what I would do if something like this happened to my child. Much like the child of the man my mom works with - their baby was 11 days old and had complications with his heart after he was born. They operated on him and everything looked good until a few days later...They ended up having complications and the child didn't make it. Emails like that really hit you when you have a child of your own (not that it wouldn't if you didn't have a child)...There's just no way to really comprehend something like that ever happening to your child...

9/21/2006, 02:36 PM
At one point, the minister said, "OK, I'm taking off the preacher hat and putting on the parent hat..." He said he had three young daughters and then some other stuff, but I forget because he got pretty teary and I simply lost it. All I could think about was my own kids.

Absolutely surreal.

OUDoc
9/21/2006, 08:51 PM
At one point, the minister said, "OK, I'm taking off the preacher hat and putting on the parent hat..." He said he had three young daughters and then some other stuff, but I forget because he got pretty teary and I simply lost it. All I could think about was my own kids.

Absolutely surreal.
Yup, that is the suckage part. You keep putting yourself in their position. Sucks bad.

Good for you for going though, 12.

StoopTroup
9/21/2006, 08:56 PM
All in all...

It's good to grieve...

The children are in God's hands now...

We must go on protecting the rest of them...

As many as we can...

God Bless their Families...

May they remember the good and cherish the love they were given during their childs short life.