PDA

View Full Version : What's good for college football? Paul Thompson

cjames317
9/19/2006, 06:10 PM
From today's press conference, this guy could be another JC Watts:

SENIOR QB PAUL THOMPSON
On the apology letter from the PAC-10 Conference:
I'm glad they understand what they did and what they did was wrong, but at the same time it doesn't affect much. That was a big mistake and you can't do much to change that. We accept the apology because it doesn't change much. We feel like we've been cheated. We feel like we got a win and it was taken from us.

I would love to play Oregon again. We've got a bye-week -- maybe we could play them then.

On what he thought happened from the sidelines:
I thought they (Oregon) recovered it. I did see Allen Patrick with the ball at the end but I thought maybe they were fighting and Oregon recovered it and Allen grabbed it at the end, as the officials thought as well. So I didn't really know anything until I came back here and saw it on the news.

On starting well early:
In the last couple of games, we have come out in the second half real efficient and effective. We've been moving the ball and putting up big numbers. We're going to try different things to get us started quicker. That goes with the game plan and with the plays that are called, getting the offense mentally ready to go out and make big plays.

We're going to try a couple things to get out on top. I think the last couple games we have been down at halftime or tied, so we definitely want to come out quicker and continue to do what we have in the second half as well.

It could be a mental thing. We just have to overcome that. We have some young guys out there and it might take awhile to get rolling. It might take a couple plays to add confidence. I think in upcoming games we will improve in that area.

The way we come out in the second half is big-we have the same guys coming out in the second half that we did in the first so I don't know what it is. We're going to try to get plays in early that we feel comfortable with and we're good at executing so we get a good jump. We just need to focus and jump out on the guys.

On this week's focus:
I think we got the bad taste out of our mouths for the most part. Our focus is on Middle Tennessee now. Our first practice back yesterday was good. Everyone was saying 'Let's just focus. What happened, happened and we can't do anything about it, let's move on.' I think everyone feels confident in what we displayed last weekend so we can move on from there in a positive way.

Everyone take it (last week) for what it's worth. Everyone has their own opinion on it but we feel if we take care of our goal that we have set forth on the season, everything should work out in our favor.

We can take a lot from this (Oregon) game. We want to build week in, week out on our previous performance. Our main goal was to not have any turnovers and we accomplished that. We put ourselves in a position to win on the road in a hostile environment. There's a lot to build on. We feel good about where we're at going into the next game.

On Adrian Peterson:
At the end of every run, he's punishing somebody. That gets me pumped up and gets our whole line pumped up. On one play when Coop (Jon Cooper) got hurt, AD had just run someone over and I couldn't decide if I wanted to congratulate AD or check on Coop because I was so excited.

I made sure Coop was okay and then I ran over to Adrian and just told him 'That's the way to finish a run.' That's what he does -- he's done that since he's been here and it's nothing new but it makes defenses a lot more reluctant to go and square up on him.

He's competitor. He gets the ball in his hands and that's why the team admires him-that's why he's a great running back. Sometimes after a play, I want to get in the huddle and talk to some guys but I can't do that all the time. With the clock running down, I have to get the play and get back in the huddle. I'll tell Adrian, 'Get in there. Get the guys lined up and ready to play.' He's definitely a big leader for us.

On Malcolm Kelly:
His ability is great. I think that's obvious. I definitely feel comfortable with him and I've known what kind of playmaker he's been since he's been here. I feel comfortable going to him with the ball and I know that he's going to make plays. That's what he does.

On finishing drives to get touchdowns:
We have to focus. When we get down there like we did Saturday, we've got to focus harder. It was definitely a loud environment and that makes it even more important to focus. We had penalties that kept backing us up and backing us up. I'm screaming out there. I have to be as loud as I can and they have to listen as well as they can. If you get three points every drive, chances are you're not going to win the game.

On running the ball:
I enjoy running the ball and I feel comfortable doing it. I think it puts more pressure on the defense. I would have had more carries but Oregon had a plan for that. A lot of the reads, I handed it off instead of running it. I don't think our game plan is for me to run the ball 10-11 times a game.

On Middle Tennessee State's defense:
They're physical. They've forced maybe 11 fumbles this year and they will blitz probably 50 to 60 percent of the time, so we've got to stay on our toes with that.

proudsoonergal
9/19/2006, 06:19 PM
Can I be the thousandth person to say it? I'm glad ENA is our quarterback.

Stoop Dawg
9/19/2006, 06:22 PM
Agreed, he's a stand-up guy.

I also like the fact that one of their goals was to not turn the ball over. That's been my #1 complaint from the offense in the first two games and they didn't do it once against Oregon.

I like this PT guy. ;)

ColumbusSooner
9/19/2006, 06:34 PM
From today's press conference, this guy could be another JC Watts

I love Paul. Great kid.

(Please God, don't let him turn into another JC Watts!):P

yermom
9/19/2006, 06:45 PM
you tell 'em, Pops ;)

OKLA21FAN
9/19/2006, 06:46 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2006 Don Key Award Winner

PT

"coach, I am your guy"

Sooner_Bob
9/19/2006, 06:47 PM
ENA!!!!!

ENA!!!!!

ENA!!!!!

ENA!!!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/19/2006, 07:03 PM
I love Paul. Great kid.

(Please God, don't let him turn into another JC Watts!):Ppolitics is for the SO.

85Sooner
9/19/2006, 07:20 PM
Can I bring back my PRO PT avatar without getting killed now?

tbl
9/19/2006, 07:23 PM
Can we please cut out the ENA business and stick with PT?

Stitch Face
9/19/2006, 07:29 PM

Why do you hate African American martial artists?

SleestakSooner
9/19/2006, 07:41 PM

I second that whole heartedly! Sounds rather trailer park to me. I could write a paper on why this nickname is demeaning but I am sure it would fall on deaf ears and dim wits.

But hey, if the trailer home fits... live in it.:pop:

OUstud
9/19/2006, 08:41 PM
ENA sounds like a future head coach.

sooneron
9/19/2006, 09:21 PM
:dean: He just aint a qb :dean: [somewhat paraphrased]

:rolleyes::texan: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D ;)

:pop:

westcoast_sooner
9/19/2006, 09:25 PM
In Paul we trust!!!

Go Paul.

TrophyCollector
9/19/2006, 09:26 PM
One PT makes up for 10 Bomars and 100 Gordon Reises - There is only one PAUL THOMPSON and I am damn proud that he is a Sooner!!!

GreenSooner
9/19/2006, 09:51 PM
Probably the comment that most angered me after Saturday's debacle was on a baseball board on which both me and a Whorns fan are regulars (we're both Oakland A's fans). He was talkin' all kinds of smack about OU going nowhere because of our "second string quarterback."

Whatever criticism you might have about OU's performances so far this year -- and there's plenty to criticize -- PT does not deserve any of it. He's been terrific on and off the field. Better than Bomar was on the field at this point last year, and infinitely better off the field than Bomar will ever be in his wildest dreams.

I'm so glad that PT is our qb!

Tailwind
9/19/2006, 11:03 PM
Go Mr Thompson! Sir.

Stoop Dawg
9/19/2006, 11:16 PM
I could write a paper on why this nickname is demeaning but I am sure it would fall on deaf ears and dim wits.

Uh, people don't LITERALLY mean he's an assasin. Duh. :rolleyes:

soonervegas
9/19/2006, 11:20 PM
There is only one thing I would want to change about pt, I wish he was a junior.

TrophyCollector
9/19/2006, 11:23 PM
I second that whole heartedly! Sounds rather trailer park to me. I could write a paper on why this nickname is demeaning but I am sure it would fall on deaf ears and dim wits.

But hey, if the trailer home fits... live in it.:pop:

Which one of the following words to you relate with trailer parks?

A. Ebony
B. Ninja
C. Assassin

Nate Johnson
9/20/2006, 10:45 AM
I'm glad he stuck around. It proves the Lord has a plan for everybody.

C&CDean
9/20/2006, 10:51 AM
:dean: He just aint a qb :dean: [somewhat paraphrased]

:rolleyes::texan: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D ;)

:pop:

Yes. I did say that. Repeatedly.

And so far this year, Mr. Thompson (saying ENA is the equivalent of giving another man head) has proven me dead wrong. God bless him. I hope he makes a complete and total liar out of me. Nothing would make me happier.

sooneron
9/20/2006, 10:54 AM

And so far this year, Mr. Thompson (saying ENA is the equivalent of giving another man head) has proven me dead wrong. God bless him. I hope he makes a complete and total liar out of me. Nothing would make me happier.
:P :texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :confused: :D :D :D :D :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D :D :cool: :rolleyes: :)

Sooner in Tampa
9/20/2006, 10:56 AM

But hey, if the trailer home fits... live in it.:pop:Trailer park :confused: :confused: :confused:

How so???

I guess I missed something in all of the Ninja movies I watched.

ADs_Agent
9/20/2006, 11:01 AM
he has impressed me as well, he didn't have a single turn over in the Oregon game, I just wish our offense could gel before the 2nd half.

OklahomaRed
9/20/2006, 12:33 PM

Well said. I agreed with you when you said it. In the truest sense, he's not your prototypical quarterback, BUT PT has heart. Give me heart any day. I am quickly becoming a HUGE PT fan.

I could see where the ebony part of ENA could be taken wrong, plus PT himself has said he prefers PT. I say we respect the dude's wishes. :cool:

GottaHavePride
9/20/2006, 03:28 PM
Can I bring back my PRO PT avatar without getting killed now?
Heh. Go for it. :D

I admit, last year I thought it was just being counter-productive to second-guess the coaches. After what PT has show this year, though, I wonder how much of PT's troubles were due to a combination of a system not suited to his strengths, a bad (well, worse that this year's anyway) O-line, nerves , and maybe just bad luck.

So in other words, I apologize, 'cause I know I jumped on you a little bit last year and now I see you were right on the wole time.

WOOO PT!

rhombic21
9/20/2006, 03:33 PM
I may be in the minority, but looking back on it, I actually think that we would have been better off with PT at QB last year. He's a much better passer than people give him credit for, but the thing that he's got that Bomar never had is leadership. And the number one thing that our team lacked last year, especially after AD got hurt, was leadership on offense.

I can't help but wonder how different last season would have been if we had pulled out a squeaker against TCU. I doubt that the coaches would have been as quick to pull the plug on PT.

GDC
9/20/2006, 03:58 PM
Here's to PT and AD, both class acts.

Rogue
9/20/2006, 05:49 PM
Mr. Thompson is a well-spoken young man and represents OU well. He is a fine example of what is still "right" in college football.

Vaevictis
9/20/2006, 05:56 PM
Trailer park :confused: :confused: :confused:

How so???

I guess I missed something in all of the Ninja movies I watched.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9764/beverlyhillsninja2gw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Although, he wasn't ebony. Or much of an assassin or ninja.

TUSooner
9/20/2006, 06:05 PM
How can anybody not be for PT ?!?

olevetonahill
9/20/2006, 06:07 PM
hes a well spoken young man . I wonder what HIS wonderlic score will be ? :D
Now if he prefers PT then thats the end of discussion .

SleestakSooner
9/21/2006, 12:22 AM
Mr. Thompson (saying ENA is the equivalent of giving another man head)

Way to sum it up there Dean ROFL!:D :twinkies: